PDA

View Full Version : involved?

chachacha
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
years ago it became popular to say that one was "involved" with someone, rather than just dating. since this created some confusion as to what exactly this meant, the following clarification i think is priceless:

if you want to know the difference between being "involved" and being commited, just think of a plate of bacon and eggs.....the chicken is "involved" but the pig is commited!

do we have too many chickens running around here? :)

asianthree
07-12-2012, 08:59 AM
never thought about it like that

tkret
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Chachacha, including your previous post on TOTV and this one, it sounds like you may have a "bone to pick" about someone ... a chicken bone, perhaps? Be care, though, it could get caught in your throat.

jimbo2012
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
We always referred to them as a "couple"

chachacha
07-12-2012, 04:16 PM
believe me, if i had a bone to pick with anyone in particular, it would be in person and not on a public forum...just thought that little analogy was very clever and sort of relates to the other post about intimacy as seniors. in my humble opinion, too many people want to be the chickens and very few want to be commited. sometimes it scares the heck out of me, too!

2BNTV
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
years ago it became popular to say that one was "involved" with someone, rather than just dating. since this created some confusion as to what exactly this meant, the following clarification i think is priceless:

if you want to know the difference between being "involved" and being commited, just think of a plate of bacon and eggs.....the chicken is "involved" but the pig is commited!

Very good analogy. :smiley:

rp001
07-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't get it...Someone needs to clearly define committment..To me it is a dedicated relationship, monogamous, and without the social distraction of singles clubs.I know "couples" that are living together that frequent these clubs. Unfortunately in this modern era it is almost impossible to remarry at our age..Ask any attorney..I've talked to three local ones and one quoted says," If my mother wanted to get married at her age I'd have her committed.".That's how bad the Fl laws are...So the ring is out...That should NOT disallow a relationship...And if that involves sex, it's even better...

At our age it has become darn near impossible to write a prenup that is unbreakable..The closest thing to binding is joint ownership of property..I do know some that have remarried and I really hope it works out for them..I am not privy to their financial rationale (none of my buisness either)..When I arrived here I had the sole mission to enjoy life and hope to find a perfect woman to spend the rest of my life with..Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet and when it does I'll know it...It will have to be without marriage..And yes there will be sex involved..LOT"S of it as long as we are able anyways...LOL

Villages PL
07-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Yes, but you never know when involvement might turn into a commitment. It might be eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner.

Down Sized
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm a newbie to The Villages. But I have been single for twenty years and very much enjoy it. I read both of these threads about singles and as Dr Phil would say. There is something else really "GOING ON HERE." Sounds like something didn't go quite the way it was planned.

CaptJohn
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Part of it might be the quicksand of changing phrases. One never knows whether to use the language we grew up with or adapt to the new sayings or something in between that we just like.
I just retired from a university and asked some of the students about this. Dating is out. Friendship is in. Not only do the words change the definitions of those words do too.
Maybe we should make our own dictionary here and all of us use that! :laugh:
We boomers have always been cutting edge so how about The Villages Dating Dictionary. 2012 edition, of course!

Trish Crocker
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Chachacha, that was funny...and I don't think anyone needs to read too much into it!!

Schaumburger
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Part of it might be the quicksand of changing phrases. One never knows whether to use the language we grew up with or adapt to the new sayings or something in between that we just like.
I just retired from a university and asked some of the students about this. Dating is out. Friendship is in. Not only do the words change the definitions of those words do too.
Maybe we should make our own dictionary here and all of us use that! :laugh:
We boomers have always been cutting edge so how about The Villages Dating Dictionary. 2012 edition, of course!

My favorite phrase is "friends with benefits." My father asked me what that meant. I told him he wasn't old enough to know. :)