PDA

View Full Version : Summer storage of electric cart

Advogado
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
When I leave for the summer, should I, or should I not, leave the electric cart connected to its automatic charger?

Frank7
08-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Most stock charging systems with today's carts finish the charge cycle in 8-12 hours. The charger shuts down automatically and will not go on again until unplugged and reset. The answer to your question is no, there is no advantage to leaving your stock charger plugged in for long storage.

We do recommend using a (Battery Minder). This product is a low amp charging device designed to maintain battery charging with repeating cycles during long
storage periods and also has a de-sulfator built in for battery care.

Advogado
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks.

Will a standard battery minder used on a 12-volt car battery work on the six 6-volt batteries of an electic golf cart?

Frank7
08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
The battery minder for golf carts must be for 36 or 48 volts. We are not charging individual batteries, we are charging the complete battery pack.
The 12 volt battery minder is for single batteries such as starting batteries in cars or gas golf carts. Batteries in golf carts are deep cycle and much more weight.

rubicon
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
The battery minder for golf carts must be for 36 or 48 volts. We are not charging individual batteries, we are charging the complete battery pack.
The 12 volt battery minder is for single batteries such as starting batteries in cars or gas golf carte
Batteries in golf carts are deep cycle and much more weight.

Frank I was gone for 1 month and simply placed my cart in "tow mode". And when I returned I had most of the charge retained. Will this procees work for longer than one month?

Frank7
08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Batteries in good condition will loose 15% per month in storage. After a few months the discharge may go below the amount of voltage needed to
return home and start the charging process. This is not a good way to expect batteries to maintain longevity.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Don't Club Cars have an on board computer that automatically turns on the charger when the batteries get below a certain point?

Frank7
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
The Club Car on board computer will only tell the charger when to shut off but has no software to turn back on or go into a float mode.

jimlambert
08-11-2012, 09:41 PM
While up north a friend of mine in The Villages checked on my Tomberlin golf cart that has been plugged in since May. He took it for a ride and it would only go 8 mph. The cart was purchased new in Jan. 2011...I believe the batteries are warranteed for 2 years. It normally goes around 20 top speed. Will the batteries get better when I come back and start using it everyday or do I need to make a claim on bad batteries. Also, isn't there something that can be added to the batteries to make them better and last longer. The dealer told me that they would last at least 4 years.

Frank7
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Even though you have had your charger plugged in since May your batteries are very low if your car only goes 8 MPH.
Does your charger have a float mode? What make charger is it?
How is the water level of your batteries, was that checked before your friend used the cart after sitting for three months?

jimlambert
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
All I can tell you right now is that its an onboard charger that I was told turned itself on and off every couple weeks. I have friends that keep the water level up, so thats not the problem...I hope. I am flying in tomorrow and will be able to tell you more later. We have had periodic problems with the speed fluxuating before we left, but nothing that drastic. There is 8 six volt batteries. Sounds like I get to find out how good Tomberlin is with their 2 yr warrantee on the batteries.

jimlambert
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Also, I read a few months ago that there is something that you can put in the batteries to rejuvenate them. True??

jimlambert
08-15-2012, 12:43 AM
The charger is an onboard charger that is supposed to come on every two weeks, top off the batteries and go into sleep mode. The water level has been maintained by my neighbor who also has a Tomberlin. I got here today and tood it for a ride. Top speed was 10. Is there some way to build them back up? I read somewhere that there is something that you can put into them that rejuvenates them. True? Should I call the Manufacturer and demand replacements...as I believe they have a 2 yr warrantee?

Frank7
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
You probably should not put additives in your batteries, you may void any warranty that may be left. I would consult the dealer about the conditions present.