PDA

View Full Version : Closing ceremonies

gerryann
08-12-2012, 08:45 PM
So far they are pretty bad...what's with the cars?

mrsyarbie
08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
So strange dont you think??

gerryann
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Maybe I'm just not young enough to enjoy it. Spice girls making a comeback?? Didn't know they came OR left....just say'n

George Bieniaszek
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
WHAT!!! No one liked the Spice Girls Reunion??? :)

gerryann
08-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Now, Monty Pythan Is cute...ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!

USSGompers
08-12-2012, 09:17 PM
This is a disgrace!! A woman singing Freddie Mercury's, "We will rock you'! This a horrible. Poor Freddie. I will always LOVE Queen. What were they thinking???????????????????

bkcunningham1
08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Did you notice the first Bentleys that came out? The steering wheels were on the right side. I mean the left side. I mean the wrong side. I mean the right side for an American car, but the wrong side for a British car.

I suppose I'm getting old. I was really disappointed with the closing ceremonies. Queen's We Will Rock You sounded horrible. She ruined the song. Sorry.

gmcneill
08-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Still, it's a way better show than the opening.

KathieI
08-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Watching it now, its boring as hell. What are they thinking???

USSGompers
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I agree. SUCKY doo-doo!

IADCathy
08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I just didn't get anything. What was up with the octopuss?

USSGompers
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm confused, too. At 1st I thought it was a spider. Come on Winter games. Those are my favorite- skiing, figure skating, luge- just to name a few!

faithfulfrank
08-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Glad it wasn't just me. I thought it was very bad. I was not impressed at all.
Actually, I liked the fireworks.
I too noticed the steering wheels on the Bentleys.

My wife said we could turn the channel....but like a bad accident you cannot turn away from, we continued to watch it. The games were great.....just did not like tonight's closing.....

I am also thankful the games were safe from terrorists.

Ooper
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
This was just the worst closing ceremony I have ever seen... period!

cybermuda
08-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Such ceremonies are spectacular if you are there (when you can take in the whole scene or just focus on part of it) but don't always translate well to television. Like fireworks.

For the Olympics, the opening and closing ceremonies celebrate aspects of the host country. Hence the use of Black Cabs and Rolls-Royces (not Bentleys) and British music.

Cars were used because of the size of the stadium. If we had to wait for the performers to walk around, so that everyone there got a good view, then we'd still be watching it now.

The three RRs were built specially for the Olympics, and I expect the steering wheels were on the left as they will most likely be bought by Arabs - Kuwait and Saudi Arabia drive on the right.

Russell Brand arrived in a magic bus (The Who) out of which came an octopus (Octopus's Garden - The Beatles).

Hope this helps.

Now, who can explain why the NBC was the only organization using total medals in its Medal Table? Everyone else ranks first by gold medals, then silver then bronze. Yet the NBC has (for example) Mongolia - 2 silver, 3 bronze - ahead of Switzerland - 2 gold, 2 silver.

asianthree
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
watching it tonight on dvr

coralway
08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Olympics closing ceremony music: big acts, big hits, but no big gasps | Sport | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/13/olympics-closing-ceremony-music-review)