PDA

View Full Version : Metal studs used in building homes in The Villages

lleone
08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Why do carpenters use metal studs (or wood studs shrouded with metal) in certain rooms of a home? To preserve a straighter edge on longer wall studs? To cut down on costs? This useage plays hell with wireless communications devices.

Roaddog53
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Why do carpenters use metal studs (or wood studs shrouded with metal) in certain rooms of a home? To preserve a straighter edge on longer wall studs? To cut down on costs? This useage plays hell with wireless communications devices.

I asked the same question when building. Metal studs are cheaper and can be used only on non-bearing walls. They obviously do not have the strength otherwise. that was the main reason that seemed to be consistent. It was rare to use them in the north. You may hear it is easier to wire through them with the holes there already, they are on garage walls for moisture issues, or even for pest control issues, they are straighter than wood studs for some areas. Plus a few more some were saying. Bottom line.. cheaper. think of the amount of savings over the quantity of houses built and the studs they replace. Adds up!

philnpat
08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Our home in Duval is built with all metal studs. I've heard that some builders use them while others use wood. Not sure if it's their option or preference. We've got wifi in the house and have no problems at all.

bandsdavis
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Not unusual at all to see them in commercial buildings up north.

Roaddog53
08-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Sorry, I would agree on commercial buildings too up north. Obviously non-bearing walls inside the structures. But, I have noticed I do have some problems with wi-fi IF I go out on the lanai. the router is in the front of the house. Never thought it could be the metal studs.. hmmm:thumbup:

asianthree
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry, I would agree on commercial buildings too up north. Obviously non-bearing walls inside the structures. But, I have noticed I do have some problems with wi-fi IF I go out on the lanai. the router is in the front of the house. Never thought it could be the metal studs.. hmmm:thumbup:

my router is in the front and so is the lanai, have trouble on the lanai also so may not be the metal

Roaddog53
08-18-2012, 11:19 AM
So interesting question. What causes a poor signal on the lanais? It is like not and day once I walk into the house with the Ipad

duffysmom
08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
My router is in front of house and I have no problem on the lanai which is a considerable distance from the router. :posting:

Bill-n-Brillo
08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
..... Metal studs are cheaper and can be used only on non-bearing walls. ......

Roaddog's got it.

Bill :)

getdul981
08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Metal is also used for the plate on top of the walls. When we had a TV outlet moved, the man had to climb down from the attic to get a metal bit to drill a hole for the new cable.