PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading right now?

bmac007
08-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey! What are u reading right now? Answer the following:

1. author + title
2. why u decided to read the book
3. first sentence in the book
4. page u are on
5. what u think of the book till now

It would be really nice to know what people are reading and their opinions on the books!!!

bmac007
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I will start it off....

1. Cormac McCarthy - The Road
2. I read "No Country for Old Men" and absolutely loved it and heard that this was a very good book from this author as well.
3. "When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him."
4. pg. 143 out of 287.
5. This is a book about the journey between a father and his boy through a post-apocalyptic north America to find their way south to a place where in their mind represents freedom from the harsh life they know in the north and their dangerous encounters with the savageness that the fall of civilization has given birth to.

uujudy
08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
1. Jinx Schwatrz, Just Add Water (Hetta Coffeey Mystery Series, Book One)
2. My darling daughter sent me a Kindle for my birthday, and this was a free book from eReaderIQ.com. Can't beat FREE! lol
3." Hudson's master plan was unraveling."
4. It's a Kindle book. Who knows what page I'm on? lol
5. It's fun, and it's a mystery. It's worth every penny I paid for it! lol

faithfulfrank
08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Edward Klein- The Amateur

Recommended by friends

"This is a Reporter's book. During the past year and a half, I have interviewed nearly 200 people, both inside and outside of the White House......"

Page 201.

I like it very much. Unbelievably shocking and sadly very true. Something every person should read before November.....

tainsley
08-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Les Standiford - Last Train to Paradise
Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad That Crossed an Ocean

Want to learn all about the history of Florida.

"At about four o'clock in the afternoon on Labor Day Saturday, 1935, Ernest Hemingway, by then one of Key West's most notable residents..."

Just finished. Page 262

Really liked it...what a fascinating man! Can't wait to go to the Flagler Museum in St. Augustine and take a trip down to Key West.

Starting Vol.1 of 3 "Florida's Past...People & Events That Shaped The State"

Taltarzac725
08-23-2012, 07:40 AM
I will start it off....

1. Cormac McCarthy - The Road
2. I read "No Country for Old Men" and absolutely loved it and heard that this was a very good book from this author as well.
3. "When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him."
4. pg. 143 out of 287.
5. This is a book about the journey between a father and his boy through a post-apocalyptic north America to find their way south to a place where in their mind represents freedom from the harsh life they know in the north and their dangerous encounters with the savageness that the fall of civilization has given birth to.

Lee Child's One Shot.

Have not read one of Lee Child's books before and wanted to find out what I was missing. The upcoming Reacher movie got me interested.

First sentence is FRIDAY. FIVE O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON.

I am around page 224 out of 363.

It is about a mass sniper shooting in an Indiana town by a ex-soldier.

bubblehead1026
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
The Devil's Teardrop, Michael Connelly, great crime fiction by the master, author of The Bone Collector

bubblehead1026
08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I have all the reachers in MOBI format if anyoe has an I-pad with Kindle app (or Samsung galaxy) and is interested.

CFrance
08-31-2012, 10:10 PM
1. Dead End Gene Pool: A Memoir, by Wendy Burden
2. Because I looooooove memoirs
3. "YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE--whoops!"
4. 39% through the book (Kindle)
5. This is told from the persepctive of a precocious 8- or 9-year old member of the Vanderbilt clan. A very dysfunctional family. It's hysterical, has made me laugh out loud often.

rhsgypsylady
09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Has anyone read the new trilogy that compares to 50 Shades of Grey - Bared to You, A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day? What did you think?

Golfingnut
09-01-2012, 08:01 AM
The Seat of the Soul
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FThe-Seat-Soul-Gary-Zukav%2Fdp%2F067169507X&ei=xwZCUJ-bNZDU8wTZ8oDIDw&usg=AFQjCNGQWGT7ru_SxD4rwkPASbW6ln95aA&sig2=VKhxMlZ38dyZ-dfHYHBU3Q

Love2cruise
09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I am reading The Fall of Giants, it's a trilogy by Ken Follett. It starts in 1914 and it is fascinating. I'm not a history buff but I can't put this down. It's a huge book and maybe by the time I'm done the second book will be out (9-18). Reading it on the kindle but think I am around page 190. Also love folletts other books pillars of the earth!

Yorio
09-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Am reading several books simultaneously but the two books I've been reading continuously for several days are:

Kindle edition
1. Volume 5 -A Song of Ice & Fire, A Dance With Dragons by George R.R Martin
2. The only book in English at an European hotel left by a guest. Got hooked.
3. The night was rank with the smell of men.
4. 148 of 1016
5. Loved the first volume but subsequent volumes drags at times. Haven't
watched the HBO series but if you like castles, fair maidens, intrigues,
murders, this may be it. Still 2 more volumes before it finally ends.

From library
1. Dragon Lady by Sterling Seagrave
2. Saw it at my friend's place and always interested in that period.
3. Each spring and autumn in Peking just before the end of the
Nineteenth century........
4. 39 of 463
5. The life and legend of the last empress of China which changes her persona
in the new discovery in 1974 that there were hoax told as truth. The
author and I worked at the same company way back when and was
curious as to the new findings.

tpop1
09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
1. "The Mobile Wave - How Mobile Intelligence Will Change Everything" by Michael Saylor…on Iphone Kindle app.

2. Like to keep my Computer skills current.

3. “In late June of 2010, I was eating lunch at New York’s Blue Water Grill with my niece Lauren and her mother.”

4. Page 203 of 281

5. A look at what we are moving thru and where we are headed; societally as well as technologically. Thought provoking.

Laura
04-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I am currently reading Castaways. Once you can keep track of the 8 main characters, you will enjoy this book.

LI SNOWBIRD
04-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1. author + title
4. page u are on

It would be really nice to know what people are reading and their opinions on the books!!!

Right now I'm reading
1 Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
2 I am in the s-l-o-w process of catching up on good fiction that I haven't read. I was a dual English (literature) and Psychology major in college. Now that I'm retired and have a lot more time for reading. I also wanted to read the impetus for "Apocalypse Now.
3. "The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest."
4. Page 14 of 72. I would guess this is more like a novella.
5. It's a little dense and SOMBER 9 (and in a really small font)

PS I donate the books I bought of "literature" to the local public library so other people can catch up/enjoy.

Taltarzac725
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

1. author + title
4. page u are on

1. The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel.
2. Like to read the book before the movie comes out in December of 2013 if they keep their schedule.
3. "Most of us are aware that World War II was the most destructive war in history."
4. 214/473
5. Very well researched book based on interviews with living relatives and the actual participants, letters, books, archived materials, etc.

I will be very interested to see how the book translates into a film. It will be hard to do it justice IMHO. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177771/news?ref_=tt_nwr_1#ni50570508

Cate Blanchett is playing the leading female role of Rose Valland whose plainness according to the book made her a master spy of the Nazi art stealers. Valland was also the muse for a main character in The Train as you can see from these pictures. The article is in French however. http://rosevalland.eu/

manaboutown
04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
1. The 10,000 Year Explosion by Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending which is about how civilization has accelerated human evolution.
2. Guide to Wills and Estates, fourth edition, an ABA publication
3. New Rules for Estate Planning, J.K Lasser's
4. Land of Sunshine, State of Dreams, a social history of modern Florida by Gary R. Mormino

Ginmato
04-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Love all the Reacher books. Can't wait for the next.
Same for Steve Martini Paul Madriani series.

DebNYer
05-31-2013, 09:53 PM
The Pact, by Jody Picoult. About 1/3 through. Good!

BritParrothead
06-01-2013, 06:44 AM
John D. Macdonald
The Long Lavender Look
'Late April. 10 o clock at night'
page 221
A good read, even though it was written in 1970!!
Love J D Macdonald, and have tried to read as many of his as I can over the past 30 years!!
If you have not read it, try The Condominium by J D M :read: :read:

Mary Anne Stoutsenberger
06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm reading "Goodbye Bafana, Nelson Mandela My Prisoner, My Friend", by James Gregor, the guard in the prison with Mandela for 27 years.
An excellent evolution from extreme racist, wishing Mandela had been shot instead of sent to life imprisonment, to becoming his closest friend. Book was recommended by a friend who spent 14 years in South Africa.
Mary Anne Stoutsenberger

Lahaja
07-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher; by Timothy Egan.

on page 95 and loving it. I heard an interview with the author on NPR. The book is about Edward Curtis, a photographer back in 1895 - who made it his mission to document and photograph all the American Indian tribes before they disappeared. Great book - i even went on Ebay and bought one of his photographic books.

Also reading "The Orphanmaster's Son" about a character in North Korea. interesting but can be confusng at times. Pulitzer Prize winner

nannyo
07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm reading three books.
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell
Book club selection that I put off reading because he wrote Cloud Atlas, so I assumed I wouldn't understand a word of it.
"Miss Kawasami?" Orito kneels on a stale and sticky futon. "Can you hear me?"
Page 66 of 510. 3 members of the club said they quit around page 70, but so far I'm finding it interesting (Dutch traders in Nagasaki in 1799 - whole different world).

Unleashed by David Rosenfelt - one of my very favorite authors, he can't write fast enough for me. He's a mystery writer and runs a dog rescue (as does his character, Andy Carpenter, a lawyer who practices in Paterson, NJ, "after everyone else has moved out." Rosenfelt grew upin Paterson as did Carpenter. I suggest you start the series at the beginning and read them in order, though it's not crucial. He's a very funny writer, even his Dedication is oftern hilarious.

I have just finished what I think is his first non-fiction book "Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, and 3 RVs on Our Canine Cross-Country adventure". This is a MUST for the dog-lovers out there! He and his wife, soon after almost losing their house in one of southern California's forest fires, decide it's time to move to their home (unfinished yet) in Maine. But how to move 25 dogs? They rescue older dogs, mostly golden retrievers, but some others -- all dogs over 60 lbs.

Start David Rosenfelt with "Open and Shut" and go on from there. Someone else, please love his books with me!

nannyo
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM
He's my favorite author in any genre right now. He writes mysteries, very funny some of them, and his character is Andy Carpenter a lawyer in Paterson, NJ where he and Rosenfelt both grew up. And he helps run the Tara Foundation, as does Rosenfelt, a rescue especially for golden retrievers but one that takes large dogs out of kill shelters and finds them homes. His mysteries always include Tara, his golden who seldom ages (and Rosenfelt has promised will never die). The mysteries have twists and are populated by his secretary Edna who never works (nor does Andy if he can help it - he's rich and doesn't have to work unless he wants to).

I want everyone to read him! My suggestion is that you start at the beginning of his Carpenter series and go through in order, though it's not mandatory. book #1 was Open and Shut.

Just finished Rosenfelt's first non-fiction book, "Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, and 3 RVs on Our Canine Cross-Coiuntry Adventure". He and his wife who is the REAL dog nut, lived in southern California and ran their rescue. When they almost lost their house in one of southern California's forest fires, they decided it was time to move to their retirement home (as yet unfinished) in Maine. How to get their with their 25 large, elderly dogs is the problem. A MUST reading for all the dog-lovers out there.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
Book club selection that I put off reading because 1) he wrote Cloud Atlas so I was sure I wouldn't understand this one, 2) three of our members said they got about 70 pages in and quit.
"Miss Kawasami?" orito kneels on a stale and sticky futon. "Can you hear me?"
I'm on page 65 of 510 and so far find it fascinating. It takes place in 1799 in Nagasake and is about Dutch traders there.
It has great reviews!

Midvale
11-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Just finished reading "The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty" by Caroline Alexander.

An interesting book for anyone who has enjoyed reading "The Bounty Trilogy" by Nordoff & Hall or has seen one of the movies. A lot of historical detail of the voyage, mutiny and court martial gleaned from Naval records, news accounts and personal journals of the involved. She shows Bligh in a more favorable light than in the novels and films.

Pepperhead
11-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Creole Belle
James Lee Burke

graciegirl
11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
How to overcome addiction to online forums.

By Naught Likely.

lovsthosebigdogs
11-18-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm reading three books.
I have just finished what I think is his first non-fiction book "Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, and 3 RVs on Our Canine Cross-Country adventure". This is a MUST for the dog-lovers out there! He and his wife, soon after almost losing their house in one of southern California's forest fires, decide it's time to move to their home (unfinished yet) in Maine. But how to move 25 dogs? They rescue older dogs, mostly golden retrievers, but some others -- all dogs over 60 lbs.

I think this one has my name all over it. Thanks. It's going on the list.

kittygilchrist
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Bondage Breakers by Neil Anderson
Wonders of Life by Brian Cox..guess I missed this series on science channel. Lovely book that marvels at creation--and I am sorry for the author who thinks it's all by chance...

2BNTV
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
This thread was started in August, 2012.

Days of Grace by Authur Ashe and Arnold Rampersad.
First line is, "If one's reputation is a possession, my reputation means most to me".
The first African-American male to win a major tennis tournament. A gentleman who lived his life with courage, dignity and integrity.

I hope to learn something, about how one should conduct themselves, in all situations, when under extreme pressure.

redwitch
11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs (okay, but not one of my favorite authors)

Something by Clive Cussler (can't remember the title and too lazy to look it up)

Trying to find more Spider Robinson books (humorous semi-sci fi; liked book I read by him but not enough to want to purchase the books and Sumter Country has none of his; hope Mark Twain has several)

Tatham Mound by Piers Anthony. Very interesting book about a lost tribe in Central Florida (just finished it, actually).

OBXNana
11-19-2013, 06:04 AM
The Four Agreements Don Miguel Ruiz
Our daughter and I are Behavior Science junkies and this is the book we decided to read
and discuss
What you are seeing and hearing right now is nothing but a dream.
Page 3
Too soon to know

jblum315
11-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Reading a new book of stories by Andre Dubus III (he wrote "The House of Sand and Fog").

rubicon
11-19-2013, 06:29 AM
What Am I reading right Now? Talk of the villages website

Ohiogirl
11-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Anything by Chris Bojhalian or JoJo Moyes. Currently reading "The Girl You Left Behind," and finding it wonderful. Finished "Windfallen" a few days ago. Also recently read "The Light in the Ruins" and "Double Bind."

chachacha
11-23-2013, 08:00 PM
just finished Killing Jesus and found it very interesting as well as moving. never had thought about it but historically, Jesus' body was never found.

DaleMN
11-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Volume I of Shelby Foote's classic Civil War history series-- The Civil War, A Narrative- Fort Sumter to Perryville.

PennBF
11-23-2013, 09:59 PM
I am reading "The Believing Brain" which, being very general, deals with the point(s) that a person first decides what they believe and then they go about the process of developing facts,etc. to support their position. Net: You first decide your beliefs and then then work to support them. :sigh:

Schaumburger
11-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I am reading The Good Lord Bird, by James McBride which tells the story of a young slave who meets John Brown in the Kansas territory in 1857. I can't quite decide if I like it or not, and I have already read about 1/4 of the book.