PDA

View Full Version : Old Television Shows

2BNTV
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
I still remenisce about the golden age of television. Shows like Red Skelton, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, etc, etc, etc.

I loved Barney Miller and Taxi. Great casts. Must watch tv was The Sopranos.

What was your favorite old show and why?

mfp509
08-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I love remembering old tv shows. Red Skelton was great - silly but funny. As a child I remember one called Winky Dink and You. You put a plastic screen over the tv screen and drew on the screen - like a bridge over a stream so Winky Dink could get across. Also, in CT there was the Salty Brine show out of Providence, RI. Salty Brine and his collie (Jeff?) and he showed Popeye cartoons. Nice memories.

Mikeod
08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Some great old shows. I loved Barney Miller and shows with great ensembles like Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore shows. But one show I'll never forget was My World And Welcome To It starring William Windom. It was based on William Faulkner's humor and I think it (the humor) went over the heads of a lot of audiences since it didn't last long.

skyguy79
08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I can remember watching "The Milton Berle Show" (1948-1956) even though I was pretty young at the time. He was hilarious but I've forgotten most of what I saw. One thing I remember was when he stepped on a small square area then suddenly started to sink. (supposedly quick sand) I was in stitches from his reactions as he slowly completely sunk into that square.

chuckinca
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
My favs were:

Kukla, Fran and Ollie

Sheri Lewis and Lamb Chop

Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney

Howdy Doody

Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy

Captain Kangaroo

pooh
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I love remembering old tv shows. Red Skelton was great - silly but funny. As a child I remember one called Winky Dink and You. You put a plastic screen over the tv screen and drew on the screen - like a bridge over a stream so Winky Dink could get across. Also, in CT there was the Salty Brine show out of Providence, RI. Salty Brine and his collie (Jeff?) and he showed Popeye cartoons. Nice memories.

Salty's show was on at our house every day. Really enjoyed.

NY System Hot Weiners and Other Rhode Island Favorites! - Rhode Island Wieners - Recipes - Rocky Point - Seafood - Food - Clams - Chowder - Newport - Providence (http://www.pagesintime.com/ri/salty.html)

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Some great old shows. I loved Barney Miller and shows with great ensembles like Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore shows. But one show I'll never forget was My World And Welcome To It starring William Windom. It was based on William Faulkner's humor and I think it (the humor) went over the heads of a lot of audiences since it didn't last long.

Wow, My World and Welcome To It!!! Hadn't thought of that show for many years. It was actually based on James Thurber, who was the Will Rogers (as a writer) of the mid-twentieth century. How about That was the week that was It was where I first discovered Tom Lehrer the former Harvard Professor who sang bittingly satirical songs about current events. Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag - YouTube

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow, My World and Welcome To It!!! Hadn't thought of that show for many years. It was actually based on James Thurber, who was the Will Rogers (as a writer) of the mid-twentieth century. How about That was the week that was It was where I first discovered Tom Lehrer the former Harvard Professor who sang bittingly satirical songs about current events. Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f72CTDe4-0)

I don't know why but the link doesn't show up in my original message, but does in a quote???

2BNTV
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
How about:

Name That Tune.

You Bet Your Life with Groucho Marks. He said the funniest joke I ever heard.

Taltarzac725
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I am a big fan of the old westerns as well as the newer ones like Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, and even Copper. Copper is set in 1864 New York City so it is not really a western but has a lot of the themes you expect in a western without the element of horses, cows, cowboys, etc.

The older westerns I liked were Have Gun, Will Travel; The Rifleman; Gunsmoke; Centennial; Lonesome Dove, etc.

skyguy79
08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know why but the link doesn't show up in my original message, but does in a quote???You used the wrong Youtube address. See my post from yesterday where I explained this problem to another poster:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/548009-post4.html

skyguy79
08-28-2012, 11:41 AM
How about: Name That Tune.I once got lucky and guessed a song in one note while watching that show. Also, watching Kathy Lee singing (before she married Gifford) was a visual delight!

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
You used the wrong Youtube address. See my post from yesterday where I explained this problem to another poster:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/548009-post4.html

Thanks for the tip Sky! :beer3:

pooh
08-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow, My World and Welcome To It!!! Hadn't thought of that show for many years. It was actually based on James Thurber, who was the Will Rogers (as a writer) of the mid-twentieth century. How about That was the week that was It was where I first discovered Tom Lehrer the former Harvard Professor who sang bittingly satirical songs about current events. Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f72CTDe4-0)

That was great!!! :D

Kelsie52
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I lived for Saturday morning ---

SKY KING , MY FRIEND FLICKA, Whirly-Birds (spelling) Fury, The Lone Ranger

Then

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Then

How about the Sealtest Bigtop

lightworker888
08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Haven't listened to him for years, and then at the ukelele group someone brought up one of his songs and what a blast from the past. Thanks for the link. Never realized he was on youtube. Such great songs..... Be Prepared, and sooo many more. Wonder what the kids of today would think. We loved them. Thanks again!

LW888

JeffAVEWS
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a Tom Lehrer LP that was recorded live at The Hungry I in San Francisco in 1965. It's got Vatican Rag, New Math, and a bunch more on it.

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Haven't listened to him for years, and then at the ukelele group someone brought up one of his songs and what a blast from the past. Thanks for the link. Never realized he was on youtube. Such great songs..... Be Prepared, and sooo many more. Wonder what the kids of today would think. We loved them. Thanks again!

LW888

I owned all three (I think that's all) of Tom Lehrer's record albums and drove my friends and relatives crazy playing them over and over.

lightworker888
08-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Me too:pepper2:

LW888

2BNTV
08-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I once got lucky and guessed a song in one note while watching that show. Also, watching Kathy Lee singing (before she married Gifford) was a visual delight!

One note is impressive. :smiley:

Tom Hannon
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I am a big fan of the old westerns as well as the newer ones like Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, and even Copper. Copper is set in 1864 New York City so it is not really a western but has a lot of the themes you expect in a western without the element of horses, cows, cowboys, etc.

The older westerns I liked were Have Gun, Will Travel, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Centennial, Lonesome Dove, etc.

No Bonanza?

chuckinca
08-28-2012, 01:33 PM
How about the Sealtest Bigtop

or Super Circus with Mary Hartline!

Cedwards38
08-28-2012, 01:56 PM
There are so many great old shows to choose from, but without a doubt, the most memorable for me was The Andy Griffith Show. Who among us can not quote so many of the lines from Andy, Barney, Gomer, Opie, Aunt Bee, Floyd the Barber, and Otis? These episodes work just as well today as they did then. Yeah, I'm whistling the tune right now. You know the one!
Say.....can we get the developer to create a Village of Mayberry? :-)

stuckinparadise
08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
When I was in junior high school, I would race home to watch The Big Valley. I had a huge crush on Heath Barkley.

BarryRX
08-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Then
Me too! I remember Sky King was "brought to you by Nabisco"
Don't forget the Howdy Doody Show
or
Andy's Gang
Also, some of the great westerns:
Tales of Texas Rangers, Bat Masterson, Lash LaRue, Have Gun Will Travel....I bet of lot of folks out there can still sing the theme songs to most of those shows.

Vic&Judy
08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm shocked.....truly stunned and shocked....that no one, no one (unless I missed it!) mentioned that master of minstrels, that purveyor of pies-in-the-face, that impressario of impishness, Soupy Sales!!!! Remember White Fang and Black Tooth, his occasional guests????

eweissenbach
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
My first TV must-see ........... Kukla, Fran, and Ollie!

Ecuadog
08-28-2012, 02:48 PM

You Bet Your Life with Groucho Marks. He said the funniest joke I ever heard.

"I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

2BNTV
08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
"I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

I see the joke made an impression on you also. :smiley:

I believe it stopped the show for about three minutes with eveyone laughing.

Funny stuff. :1rotfl:

Taltarzac725
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
No Bonanza?

Never was a big fan of Bonanza. Not sure why.

kissmelatr
08-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Our Miss Brooks, I married Joan, Amos and Andy, My little Margie, Dobie Gillis.

Mikeod
08-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Captain Midnight, sponsored by Ovaltine!!

(No relation to Mister Midnight of Leisureville fame.)

And don't forget Andy Devine and Froggy the Gremlin!!!!!

BarryRX
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Captain Midnight, sponsored by Ovaltine!!

(No relation to Mister Midnight of Leisureville fame.)

And don't forget Andy Devine and Froggy the Gremlin!!!!!

Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!

Mikeod
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!
Hiya, kids, Hiya, Hiya!

BarryRX
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Hiya, kids, Hiya, Hiya!
I've got a gang, you've got a gang
everybody's got to have a gang
But there's only one real gang for me
Good ole Andy's Gang

and remember....good friends stick together with Scotch Brand Cellophane Tape!

(It's scary....I remember that, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday).

Bosoxfan
08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Memories of WNEW Channel 5 - New York !!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=JEfotdZCguk&pop_ads=null)

The Bowery Boys were great!!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Leave It to Beaver

coralway
08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
The Munsters ............

well, not really - just Marilyn.

skyguy79
08-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm shocked.....truly stunned and shocked....that no one, no one (unless I missed it!) mentioned that master of minstrels, that purveyor of pies-in-the-face, that impressario of impishness, Soupy Sales!!!! Remember White Fang and Black Tooth, his occasional guests????I think that every one was afraid that they'd wind up getting a pie in the face if they dared mentioned Soupy Sales! :1rotfl:

asianthree
08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
is howdy doody time or milkey the clown

bluedog103
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm shocked.....truly stunned and shocked....that no one, no one (unless I missed it!) mentioned that master of minstrels, that purveyor of pies-in-the-face, that impressario of impishness, Soupy Sales!!!! Remember White Fang and Black Tooth, his occasional guests????
Soupy Sales is the one that came to mind for me. Remember "be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you". Then there was the time he got suspended from his show for telling the kids to go in their parents wallets and send him the green pieces of paper. Every afternoon after school we watched Soupy.

Geewiz
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Rocky and Bulwinkle, Boris and Natasha, the Adams Family, Man from Uncle, Flash Gordon Serials (yes, technically not a TV show), Sky King, Smothers Brothers, Shindig, Hullabaloo, I Spy, the Twilight Zone (the old version with Rod), Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, ER, I Claudius, Upstairs/Downstairs, SNL, Monty Python, Lost, Top Cat, and Clutch Cargo (gotta love those moving lips). Also, the yearly showing of The Wizard of Oz. And heck, Steve Allen and Jack Parr.

2BNTV
08-29-2012, 07:07 AM
How about Gunsmoke with James Arness.

Wait for me Mr. Dillion.

Taltarzac725
08-29-2012, 08:15 AM
How about Gunsmoke with James Arness.

Wait for me Mr. Dillion.

I have seen a lot of these Gunsmoke episodes on DVDs. They just released the first half of the 6th Season. http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/56403/gunsmoke-the-sixth-season-vol-1/

Donvito
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
You can watch old TV programs like Jack Benny, Hazel, Burns and Allen, Dennis the Mennis, etc on channel 210, (Antenna TV). If Your interested on any of them let me know and I'll tell you what time there on.

Sable99
09-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Salty's show was on at our house every day. Really enjoyed.

NY System Hot Weiners and Other Rhode Island Favorites! - Rhode Island Wieners - Recipes - Rocky Point - Seafood - Food - Clams - Chowder - Newport - Providence (http://www.pagesintime.com/ri/salty.html)

What a small world! I didn't think Salty was that well known! Salty was my Dad's cousin! I met him when I was a kid at a family reunion.

My favorite was I Love Lucy. I still watch those old shows!!

KathieI
09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Soupy Sales is on a couple of times a day on JLTV (Comcast). Its a Jewish station, I love it, they call themselves the "chosen station", LOL.

They also have Jack Benny, Dinah Shore, and David Suskind interviews. They were great show. I still laugh at Soupy and white fang.

pooh
09-27-2012, 07:49 PM
What a small world! I didn't think Salty was that well known! Salty was my Dad's cousin! I met him when I was a kid at a family reunion.

My favorite was I Love Lucy. I still watch those old shows!!

My sister, brother and I watched Salty's show.... :)

I Love Lucy, too....those shows are priceless!

msendo
09-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Sonny Fox on Saturday morning -Just For Fun...opening the Treasure Chest with a million keys
Sonny Fox onSunday- Wonderama... Simon Says
Sandy Becker

Miss Joan never called my name in her Magic Mirror on Romper Room

Mack184
09-29-2012, 09:00 PM
i agree, groucho marks was an ad lib genius. here`s a bit of marks trivia, how many brothers were there. most prople say 4, groucho, chico, harpo and zeppo but there was a 5th. canyou name him?
Gummo.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Had to watch Leave It to Beaver every Saturday night.

Ozzie and Harriet was also a staple and of course, The Ed Sullivan Show.

My wife is from the Philippines and has only been here for about six months. She has discovered and has become addicted to Seinfeld and Friends reruns. It's funny to see her react because they are brand new to her. Tonight she saw an ad for Cougar Town and jumped up and said, "That's Monica", referring to Courtney Cox, "Why does she look so old?"