PDA

View Full Version : Cutting steel shelf supports

LAshby50
09-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I shipped my steel shelf system from up north. The side brackets are exactly 8 feet tall and do not fit into my designer garage. I need to cut a few inches off all 4 vertical side brackets. What is the best way to get this done? Won't need until December. Would appreciate any ideas. They are from Gorilla Racks. They are 30" by 96".

jimbo2012
09-29-2012, 08:31 AM
saws all w/metal blade, but may not cut exactly perfect, ok for garage.

I would use a wiz wheel, it's a 4" high speed cutting tool, rest or buy for $50.

You MUST use eye protection

JoeC1947
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM

I would use a wiz wheel, it's a 4" high speed cutting tool, rest or buy for $50.

A wiz wheel sounds like something you would have in your toilet for entrainment and target practice.:1rotfl:

ducati1974
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Sent you a PM, happy to do it for you when I get there.

Penguin
10-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Also know as a hand held electric grinder with a cut off wheel installed. Got mine at home depot for $30. Very versital tool. I live on Fenwick loop. I'll let you borrow it.

Shimpy
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
It will only take a few seconds with a regular hacksaw and a 18 tpi (teeth per inch) blade. Be sure to de-burr when you are done with a file.

tommy steam
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I shipped my steel shelf system from up north. The side brackets are exactly 8 feet tall and do not fit into my designer garage. I need to cut a few inches off all 4 vertical side brackets. What is the best way to get this done? Won't need until December. Would appreciate any ideas. They are from Gorilla Racks. They are 30" by 96".

I am not telling you how to do it, but if you use a elect grinder,PLEASE always use eye protection. Keep your face away from the edge of spinning grinder wheel.