PDA

View Full Version : 8% investment return advertised in the Village Sun

TF Hutch
10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I wonder if someone could explain the 8% return as advertised in the Village Sun paper. I am of the belief that if sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Bernie Madoff?

I meant to keep a copy of the paper with the ad, however it was discarded when we left the Villages. Lots of ads that seem to good to be true in that paper. Loose 3 inches off your waist in a week etc.

Any comments ?

sueandskip
10-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder if someone could explain the 8% return as advertised in the Village Sun paper. I am of the belief that if sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Bernie Madoff?

I meant to keep a copy of the paper with the ad, however it was discarded when we left the Villages. Lots of ads that seem to good to be true in that paper. Loose 3 inches off your waist in a week etc.

Any comments ?

My only comment would be I get a 10 to 15% return on my investments and always have even in a recession...I invest in simple terms and only in things I totally understand ... So if you don't understand , stay away !
:spoken:

Carl in Tampa
10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
It is probably an offering for an annuity. I invested in an annuity about three years ago that guarantees 7.5% minimum with a possibility of a higher return if certain investment opportunities (different stock markets) give a higher annual return.

I avoided annuities for years but at my advanced age I have chosen to take this guaranteed rate rather than risk the volatility of the stock market.

Challenger
10-06-2012, 09:47 PM
My only comment would be I get a 10 to 15% return on my investments and always have even in a recession...I invest in simple terms and only in things I totally understand ... So if you don't understand , stay away !

"10-15 % even in a recession" Hmmmmmmm?

2-crazy
10-07-2012, 02:36 AM
I would have to agree with Challenger, “10-15 % EVEN in a recession “ Hmmmmmmmmmm? Consistently would be Wow....

kentucky blue
10-07-2012, 08:30 AM

10 to 15 % after the greatest financial crash since the Great Depression,..................Interesting to say the least.

2BNTV
10-07-2012, 08:34 AM
8% sounds like a very high risk investment. Did they mention the downside of that investment vehicle?

Like you said, "if it sounds too good to be true".

mickey100
10-07-2012, 08:37 AM
My neighbor checked into one of those ads one time, and it turned out to be an annuity from an insurance company . It was an introductory rate for like 3 months, when it would then drop back to the regular rate which was nowhere near 8%. And she was told you could only put in $2500.

TF Hutch
10-07-2012, 09:27 AM
This particular ad was white print against a black background, it said you could get $500 (a month?) back on a 1 year investment of $75,000. Again, the ad appeared every day in the Villages Daily Sun while we were there on our one week Life Style Visit. I wish the paper I was going to save wasn't discarded.

USSGompers
10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
If I am not mistaken, that ad is from Bridgewellcapital.com. I checked into this and it is all on the up and up. It is a company that loans money to people to get a home loan. It is backed by insurance, The downside is this-

Say Mr and Mrs Joe Blow, credit not very good, get approved for a home loan. The company takes your money to buy their home. Mr. Joe B. just lost his job, does not make payments. House goes into foreclosure. You will eventually get your $$ when the home finally gets sold again.

May take awhile. Go on their website and read the facts. The money is there to be made. I'm not saying that people are going to default on their loans. Probably very tiny amount. Just be aware that if they do, you might have to wait for your $$.

batman911
10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
There is no "always" anything in investing. There is some risk to any investment. The more the return, the more the risk is a good rule to follow. Even professional investors do not beat the S&P500 Index Funds over time. Investors who believe they have an angle or are smarter than others, are prime targets for scammers.

Down Sized
10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
This particular ad was white print against a black background, it said you could get $500 (a month?) back on a 1 year investment of $75,000. Again, the ad appeared every day in the Villages Daily Sun while we were there on our one week Life Style Visit. I wish the paper I was going to save wasn't discarded.

People just want to BELIEVE.

rjm1cc
10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Very Very good. Could you tell us what to invest in?

jimbo2012
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
You can do your own short term RE mortgage investment in TV, where the buyers have minor issuers.
At least if there was an issue you know this market and you could recoup your investment.

kentucky blue
10-07-2012, 05:45 PM
"10-15 % even in a recession" Hmmmmmmm?

Charles Ponzi is smiling from his residence in h*ll, P. T. Barnum is just shaking his head, and i have some swamp land..........."

TF Hutch
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
If I am not mistaken, that ad is from Bridgewellcapital.com. I checked into this and it is all on the up and up. It is a company that loans money to people to get a home loan. It is backed by insurance, The downside is this-

Say Mr and Mrs Joe Blow, credit not very good, get approved for a home loan. The company takes your money to buy their home. Mr. Joe B. just lost his job, does not make payments. House goes into foreclosure. You will eventually get your $$ when the home finally gets sold again.

May take awhile. Go on their website and read the facts. The money is there to be made. I'm not saying that people are going to default on their loans. Probably very tiny amount. Just be aware that if they do, you might have to wait for your $$.

Thank you all for your comments. Now I wonder if anyone has invested with Bridgewellcapital.com. , is there a prospectus? Better go check the website, thank you USSGompers.
http://www.bridgewellcapital.com/
Google "Bridge Well Capital" for additional information.

TF Hutch
10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I wonder if this http://bridgewellcapital.com could be duplicated with just Villages properties? Anyone care to join a group, or a new thread, to discuss the idea? I don't understand this so I won't do anything until I do.

Apparently you are investing in house flippers. They, (contractors, individuals, handymen) Buy a house, fix it up, then sell it. As an investor you are financing the buying of the house. Then (when?) the property is sold (at a profit, you hope) you recieve your original investment back. Apparently you recieve interest on your loan. How that is determind, I have no idea.

At this point the education is free, gives me something else to do. Looking forward to learning more.

USSGompers
10-07-2012, 11:05 PM
You are very welcome Hutch. I would invest in a minute if I had tons of $$ but alas, I don't!!
:)
Interesting but the market isn't ripe right now for house flippers. I watch it on TV a lot but they all seem to be older shows. MAYBE after the election!!

l2ridehd
10-08-2012, 06:50 AM
TF, if you want to understand and manage your own investments, you should. It is very doable. However the 10 to 15% reply is someone who beats 95% of the professionals. 85% of all professional investors, mutual fund managers, stock brokers, and wealth mangers DO NOT beat the market. About 15% do. And over time (20 to 30 years) NONE do. And anyone who tries to tell you different is a scammer. Even Peter Lynch, one of the best ever, gave up after about 12 years and admitted he could not beat the markets.

Go to www.boogleheads.org and read. Read the wiki's there, read books by Bernstein, Ferri, and Swedroe. Then when you understand market dynamics, beta and asset allocation you may want to manage your own investments. If you want help, I will help you for free. If you have questions after this reading assignment, I will answer any questions, guide you to the right places, and help any way you need.

With higher possible rewards always comes more risk. Let me know how I can help you.

KayakerNC
10-08-2012, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=l2ridehd;564828]Go to www.boogleheads.org and read. Read the wiki's there, read books by Bernstein, Ferri, and Swedroe./QUOTE]

:agree:

TF Hutch
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
TF, if you want to understand and manage your own investments, you should. It is very doable. However the 10 to 15% reply is someone who beats 95% of the professionals. 85% of all professional investors, mutual fund managers, stock brokers, and wealth mangers DO NOT beat the market. About 15% do. And over time (20 to 30 years) NONE do. And anyone who tries to tell you different is a scammer. Even Peter Lynch, one of the best ever, gave up after about 12 years and admitted he could not beat the markets.

Go to www.boogleheads.org and read. Read the wiki's there, read books by Bernstein, Ferri, and Swedroe. Then when you understand market dynamics, beta and asset allocation you may want to manage your own investments. If you want help, I will help you for free. If you have questions after this reading assignment, I will answer any questions, guide you to the right places, and help any way you need.

With higher possible rewards always comes more risk. Let me know how I can help you.

Thank you l2ridehd. I attempted to send you a Private message, I have been a "Boglehead" for many years.

TF Hutch
10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I posted the following in reply to a Private Message asking if I was ready to invest with BCM:

No where near ready to invest. I appreciate your enthusisam, perhaps you will help us do a little research on the totv thread. Who, what, where, why, is some of what we need to know if this is a viable investment. Go beyond the Website, I am sure someone has real expirence with actual facts. That's what is so great about "Talk of the Villages".

jackz
10-09-2012, 01:42 AM

Any comments ?

This investment might not let you loose 3 inches off your waist in a week but will probably let you loose 3 inches off your Wallet..............

Buffalo Jim
04-24-2013, 12:31 AM
I had 35 years of experience in banking , investments and finance . In the 90`s I built from scratch what became at the time the largest bank owned brokerage and insurance operation in the US .

There is no magic bullet . Unless you completely and totally understand the risks involved and can live with the " downside " move on to something you can live with and is well diversified .

I too have regularly read those advertisements . If it was all such a safe and sure thing the investments would not be made available to us retired living here in Central Florida .

Think about it .

George1938
04-24-2013, 04:05 AM
I think the guy that runs this program is named Bernie --something ??

Challenger
04-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Run, dont walk, to the nearest exit

JourneyOfLife
04-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Watch a few episodes of American Greed (http://www.cnbc.com/id/18057119) on CNBC

jimmy D
04-24-2013, 08:55 AM
10-15 % yearly recession or no recession. you should be on Wall Street or be Warren Buffett hummmmm