PDA

View Full Version : Toilet trouble

shazam
12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Water in the bowl doesn't fill after flushing. Innards appear to be ok, but only a small amount of water comes through the line. However when I push and pull the shut off, it'll fill up just that one time. Anyone in TV land had that problem?
Thanks for any suggestions.

ROCKETMAN
12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
If you need a plumber i just used 1 for the first time today. Came right away and charges no service call and discount for village residents. Bob isherwood plumbing 352-259-9331

rjm1cc
12-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Look up toilet repair on YOUTUBE and you might get some ideas. Sounds like the float may not be working correctly. I would remove it (part is probably something like the Fluidmaster Universal Fill Valve) and put in a new one. The type I use is designed to stop a leaking toilet from running. Sometimes the float does not reset correctly and the toilet tank will not fill up with water. In order to make this part of the system work there is a chain that goes from the float to the lever worked by the toilet handle. Maybe this became unattached? There is also a second chain to the flapper.

REDCART
12-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Water in the bowl doesn't fill after flushing. Innards appear to be ok, but only a small amount of water comes through the line. However when I push and pull the shut off, it'll fill up just that one time. Anyone in TV land had that problem?
Thanks for any suggestions.

If the toilet water does not fill while the tank is filling, the 6" plastic hose from the top of the fill valve to the overflow tube is not in place. This plastic hose is clipped to the inside of the overflow tube, and if it comes loose, the hose sprays water into the tank rather than into the toilet. It happens more today because the new "clips" today are plastic rather than metal.

cabo35
12-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Had the same problem at about the same time as you. Received possible explanations from several sources. One plumber suggested that it is a high water pressure issue that closes the push-pull type valves used in most Villages homes. I pushed the valves that had been tripped and got water back to the toilet and sinks involved (three valves). It's counter intuitive but pushing the valve firmly in opens the water supply. The plumber said that the problem with this simple fix is that the plastic push-pull shut off seems to close with greater frequency after each "tripping". We have lived here 7 years and around Dec. 19 the problem first occurred.

Sure enough, the push-pull shutoff valve for guest toilet and sink "trip" every other day now. He suggested that the problem may be linked to water pressure fluctuations, usually at night and possibly related to cold temperatures and or build up from less demand. He said the normal pressure in the line is 70 psi. At night it can spike to as much as 120 psi.

After some investigation, I will be replacing all the shut off valves with the conventional turnoff valves most of us are familiar with.

To date, the water company has not been helpful and somewhat evasive. They are sending someone out tomorrow and hopefully I will get an honest evaluation.

Anyone else been down this road with the water company? Any info or suggestions appreciated.

nancyher
01-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for any suggestions. i have it to. i drill two small holes and use a zpitie to hold it open

Mr Hanky
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
i have it to. i drill two small holes and use a zpitie to hold it open

This sounds like a great idea. I have read of someone paying up to five hundred dollars to replace these push on push offs.