PDA

View Full Version : Five Elite Quarterbacks

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
01-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I was thinking that there are five elite quarterbacks in the game today. I say they are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees and Eli Manning. There are these five and then there is everyone else.

I like to hear other opinions.

gerryann
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
go pack!!!!!!

CatskillBill
01-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I was thinking that there are five elite quarterbacks in the game today. I say they are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees and Eli Manning. There are these five and then there is everyone else.

Guess what? Four of your five "elite QB's" are out of the playoffs already. Changing of the guard??? Peyton threw a uncharacterisic interception that helped the Broncos lose. Rodgers was shown up by the new kid Colin Kapernick. Drew and Eli, well they didn't have the best of years. Brady & NE should should beat Houston Sunday, but Denver was a 9 1/2 point favorite like NE is, and look what happened to them. I think Brady is the next to get knocked out. If not against Houston, then next week against The Ravens.

dalecrenshaw
01-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I think you left someone out.....What about Colin Kapernick! Fanastic job!!!

chuckinca
01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Kaepernick.

janmcn
01-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Tom Brady is the best of the best. Peyton Manning has always been highly overrated, as can be shown by his playoff record. Brady has the records and three rings, and in the end that's all that counts. No matter how questionable the Pats are, Brady and coach Belichek are usually able to put together a winning team. GO PATS!!!!!

chuckinca
01-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Gotta love those Norcal QB's!

(Brady, Rodgers, Kaepernick, etc.)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Colin Kapernick was very, very impressive last night. I was thinking that he may become one of the elite quarterbacks in the near future. But, I think that a player has to perform over a little longer time in order to be included in that list. The one problem that I have with Kapernick is that QBs that play that style and run a lot often get injured and have shortened careers. Look at what happened to RG3.

Yes, four of the five are now out of the playoffs this year, but I still stand by my list. These five have consistently been in the playoffs every year for several years. These five have done it over many years. Like I say, there are these five and then there are all the rest.

2BNTV
01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Your list is correct. These QB's have stood the test of time.

I so wanted for Peyton and the Broncos to win last night as he is a QB who was elite but it's hard to say where he is now after the neck surgeries. He had a subpar game last night but I wanted him to win as he is a good guy.

I really thought Rodgers would light it up last night but Kaepernick played a heck of a game and boy, can he fly when he takes off. Definitely a QB that might be elite some day.

As far as QB's being out of the playoffs, it just shows how difficult it is to win year after year. I'm sure Brees will be in the mix next year as well as Eli.

As the movie says, "round of the usual suspects".

CatskillBill
01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Colin Kapernick was very, very impressive last night. I was thinking that he may become one of the elite quarterbacks in the near future. But, I think that a player has to perform over a little longer time in order to be included in that list. The one problem that I have with Kapernick is that QBs that play that style and run a lot often get injured and have shortened careers. Look at what happened to RG3.

Yes, four of the five are now out of the playoffs this year, but I still stand by my list. These five have consistently been in the playoffs every year for several years. These five have done it over many years. Like I say, there are these five and then there are all the rest.

Yes your list is right on for current QB's. I just had to pick on you for your timing right before two of them went down in flames.

They've proven themselves over the long haul and deserve to be on the list. Just didn't get it done this year. You've got to admit these new young guns/rushers are very exciting to watch, but you're right no one can take a NFL beating for more than a couple of years, ie Michael Vick. Let's see if Wilson's similar style can get it done today. Most franchises are willing to sacrifice a QB's health for a run at the super bowl. One and done is fine with them if it brings them a ring.

2BNTV
01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I think the new crop of QB's, (Luck, Wilson, RGIII ans Kaepernick), can become elite assuming they can stay healthy. They are all runners except for Luck and therefore their careers could be cut short.

I think it is a shame what happened to RGII as the "win at all costs" attitude of the NFL. I think Luck has the best shot of longevity.

DaleMN
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Not proven yet......could be a one hit wonder. ;)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Not proven yet......could be a one hit wonder. ;)

Another issue besides the longevity question is that NFL defenses are not set up to play against that kind of offense. It won't take the good teams long, however to recognize it and plan for it. Obviously, last night, Green Bay was totally flummoxed by that offense. In the future, adjustments will be made and I doubt that they will continue to have the success that they have had in the past six games.

tainsley
01-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Gotta go with Joe Flacco!

janmcn
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Tom Brady makes it look so easy. Tonight he broke his long time idol, Joe Montana's, playoff record. There's no question Brady is the best, as he goes for his fourth super bowl ring.

chuckinca
01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
He could be going for his 6th, if not for Eli and company.

capecodbob
01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
These playoff games are all so very close. Three out of the 4 could have gone either way. Even the Patriots could have had it tough if that onside kick had a different bounce.
Are these guys that good or are they that lucky? I think it's a bit of both.
Any of the 4 remaining teams could win the Super Bowl. But if all things were to remain equal I'd have to give the nod to the Patriots.
Brady AND the rest of the team look tough to beat.
But...and there is a big BUT...any team getting a little bit more luck that the others can march to the big win!
And that winning quarterback will get all the press.

kbace6
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are the only 2 elite quarterbacks in my mind. Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees may get there in time, but are not there yet. It takes time. Don't even get me started on Eli. Even Phillip Rivers has had better years than Eli's best.

Being elite means the highest level of performance, year in and year out. I have only seen 2 over any real period of time. Arron Rogers is getting close though.

As far as the new young guns go, please! As Bill Parcells used to say, let's not put then in the HOF just yet.

OldDave
01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Interesting question and thread. Certainly the 5 you name are all outstanding, but I would suggest it is more than the quarterback. You must have a good team around you. Good example. A couple of years ago Tom Brady was out for the whole season. His backup, little played Matt Cassell played that season and did well, 11-5. Unfortunately for him, in that division that year, that didn't even make the playoffs. My poor old Kansas City Chiefs bought him for $60 million dollars. He has been a flop. Partly because he is only an average quarterback who had shone with a great team, and partly because the Chiefs pretty much sucked at every position, especially offensive line. That is critical to any quarterback being successful.

I believe quarterbacks generally get too much credit and too much blame in football.

As to the new crop of QBs this year, and it certainly is an amazing year with all the young guys actually starting. So many of them are "running quarterbacks". I had not seen Kapernick play until yesterday and he was great. His biggest benefit that puts him above most of this year's crop, and other runners like Michael Vick, is that he can really throw the ball. The running was extra. When you run first you have the melt downs like that poor Griffin kid. They let him stay in and destroy his knee. While I hope for the best, his career may already be over.

My daughter has never been interested in football, but she is now a Junior at Kansas State and was forced to become interested this year or her sorority sister would toss her out. At the height of the season their QB Collin Klein was the leading contender for the Heissman. I explained to her why those option QBs in college, no matter how good, never make it in the NFL. If they run that much they get killed. Look at Griffin, Vick, Tim Tebow, and most of the new class of QBs. They just cannot take that kind of punishment. Perhaps the NFL is just too violate, but I'm not sure how you reign it in.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting question.

2BNTV
01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Running QB's don't last long in the NFL, (Not For Long), as the players are bigger faster and stronger than at the college level. If they do last a while, it's becaude they wisely choose to run and step out of bounds or slide before they are hit.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I think it will be San Franciso vs New England.

Brady is great but I think SF will win.

stuckinparadise
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Another running quarterback who was amazing when playing college football at Auburn, is Cam Newton. Now that he is playing with the big dogs, his running game could be less than stellar. Don't get me wrong, IMHO, he is an amazing athlete and hopefully wouldn't get hurt during his time with the NFL. I also agree with the OP top 5.

2BNTV
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Another issue besides the longevity question is that NFL defenses are not set up to play against that kind of offense. It won't take the good teams long, however to recognize it and plan for it. Obviously, last night, Green Bay was totally flummoxed by that offense. In the future, adjustments will be made and I doubt that they will continue to have the success that they have had in the past six games.

:agree: The Pistol option Play or whatever they call it in Washington, will be the rage for a short while until they can figure it out. Even few years some teams are built a certain way that other teams will try to copy but ultimately it will go out of style. You need to have the right players for a certain style of play.

Another running quarterback who was amazing when playing college football at Auburn, is Cam Newton. Now that he is playing with the big dogs, his running game could be less than stellar. Don't get me wrong, IMHO, he is an amazing athlete and hopefully wouldn't get hurt during his time with the NFL. I also agree with the OP top 5.

Cam Newton had the sophmore jinx this year but he is smart in that he knows it wil be "run at your own risk". As they say, "you may only be a play away from ending your career".

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Joe Flacco's contract is up this year. His agent claims that he is one of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL.
He's a very good QB. He's brought the Ravens to the playoffs every year for the five years that he's been there. Should he be in the top five? if not where would you put him?

CatskillBill
01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Guess what? Four of your five "elite QB's" are out of the playoffs already. Changing of the guard??? Peyton threw a uncharacterisic interception that helped the Broncos lose. Rodgers was shown up by the new kid Colin Kapernick. Drew and Eli, well they didn't have the best of years. Brady & NE should should beat Houston Sunday, but Denver was a 9 1/2 point favorite like NE is, and look what happened to them. I think Brady is the next to get knocked out. If not against Houston, then next week against The Ravens.

BYE, BYE, BRADY along with Coach B clad in his classy "Uni-Bomber" sweatshirt. Coach wouldn't even give an interview after the game. "Not very gracious in defeat" as the announcer said. "That's why it's easy to root against the pats".

Guess you don't need an "elite" QB to get into this year's super bowl.

Two brothers facing each other. What's a parent to do?

Should be a good super bowl. My early line guess, 49ers, 1 1/2 pt favorites?
If it wasn't for Ray Lewis, I'd pull for the Ravens. Two weeks of his ranting is gonna be hard to take. Hope he gets laringitis.

anarick
01-20-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm taking the Ravens by 3.
Stronger defense and Flacco is not to flaky.

CatskillBill
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm taking the Ravens by 3.
Stronger defense and Flacco is not to flaky.

Spread just posted. SF 49ers by 4 1/2 pts. With Flaky Kapernick's talent and 6 pro bowlers on defense I guess that's why they're favored. I agree the Raven's defense is great and they're well balanced with the run/pass.

Should be a brawl. The trainers will be busy all game.

Just came in on the internet:
Over under on the times Ray Lewis says "Man" the next two weeks - 999.

wannab
01-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Joe Flacco's contract is up this year. His agent claims that he is one of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL.
He's a very good QB. He's brought the Ravens to the playoffs every year for the five years that he's been there. Should he be in the top five? if not where would you put him?
Looks like "the best of the best" was completely outplayed today. Go, Joe!

CFrance
01-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Spread just posted. SF 49ers by 4 1/2 pts. With Flaky Kapernick's talent and 6 pro bowlers on defense I guess that's why they're favored. I agree the Raven's defense is great and they're well balanced with the run/pass.

Should be a brawl. The trainers will be busy all game.

Just came in on the internet:
Over under on the times Ray Lewis says "Man" the next two weeks - 999.

"Over under on the times Ray Lewis says "Man" the next two weeks - 999." What the heck does that mean?

It's very hard for a Steelers fan born and raised to root for the Ravens, but I so dislike Belichik and his attitude, and the whole cheating thing, and the way Brady reacts when one of his passes is not caught, that I was rooting for the Ravens. I really think this is their year, like them or not. (And of course, I don't.)

tainsley
01-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Gotta go with Joe Flacco!

Did someone say FLACCO? Go Ravens!!!!!!!!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Flacco is a very good quarterback, but I still wouldn't put him up there with the five I mentioned. He could possibly take Eli's spot, but not yet.
As a Patriots fan, it was depressing to see them come out so flat last night. Welker dropped passes, Brady never has balls batted down and had four in this game. Brady looked like he was sick or something was wrong with him. He overthrew players and threw passes into the dirt. These are things that he never does. He wasn't himself.
The secondary which had been greatly improved over the past several weeks looked like a high school team.
Oh well! Congratulations and good luck to the Ravens. I hope they beat San Francisco and allow Ray Lewis to go out on top.

Baltimore Guy
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
You know what is wrong with Brady, to much $$$$$

2BNTV
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight.

The Pats lost yesterday because:
1. No timeout befrore the half with 17 seconds on the clock. Waht hapened to clock management?
2. Talib going out with a pulled hammy.
3. The hit on the runner that knocked him out resulting in a fumble.
4. Brady had a C game when he needed a A game.

Flacco made throws to Boldin, (Talib out), and outplayed Brady.

I am picking San Fran. I like Kaepernick's running ability combine with their defense.

It's the "Harbowl".

Taltarzac725
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

1. No timeout befrore the half with 17 seconds on the clock. Waht hapened to clock management?

I am picking San Fran. I like Kaepernick's running ability combine with their defense.

It's the "Harbowl".

I like San Fran too but I am quite biased having rooted for the Niners from about 1970 through 1983. Then again from 1984 through 1986, then again from late 1991 through 1996. They won a few Super Bowls even one played at Stanford's stadium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XIX

These are the times that I lived near San Francisco. People in Reno, usually rooted for the Forty-Niners or else for whatever team their home town was.

2BNTV
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
SF has been to the Super Bowl five times and won them all!!!!!!!!

I'm sure a lot of the hype will be about Ray Lewis and the Harbaugh brothers. it will be interesting for the parents to say the least.

I am picking SF over Baltimore, 27 to 13.

But then what do I know? I thought it would be Green Bay vs N. E. Pats in the Super Bowl.

kbace6
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM

It's the "Harbowl".

:agree:

All above sounds about right. I would however stress the Talib injury as the single biggest issue. That defense was a sieve before he showed up and returned to one with his injury. Sometimes 1 piece to finish the puzzle is all it takes. You take that piece away and it all falls apart. Just like it did last night.