PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER hot water tank/heater problem!!??

billethkid
01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Get one problem fixed and now another.

Ran out of hot water this PM...checked the hot water settings and the burner was off.

I went through the usual routine to light a gas pilot. The pilot lit with no problem....but would not stay lit to allow turn the control to on. I tried several more times holding the pilot light button down for 2-3 minutes (instaed of just one). Still the pilot would go out as soon as I let the button up to swithch the control to on.

Is my only resort to get a plumber in to check it.

The tank is going on 9 years old....I hate to think I have to replace one in such a short time.

Suggestions?

btk

graciegirl
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Get one problem fixed and now another.

Ran out of hot water this PM...checked the hot water settings and the burner was off.

I went through the usual routine to light a gas pilot. The pilot lit with no problem....but would not stay lit to allow turn the control to on. I tried several more times holding the pilot light button down for 2-3 minutes (instaed of just one). Still the pilot would go out as soon as I let the button up to swithch the control to on.

Is my only resort to get a plumber in to check it.

The tank is going on 9 years old....I hate to think I have to replace one in such a short time.

Suggestions?

btk

I could well be wrong and frequently am but it sticks in my mind that hot water tanks usually stop functioning after about ten years.

I was wrong. 12 for gas an up to 20 for electric. Wiki answers.

Down Sized
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Change your thermocouple. This is fairly simple to do. You can get a new one at Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace. YouTube will show you how. Fifteen minutes and one beer.

chuckinca
01-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Three houses in 29 years (5 yrs, 14 yrs and 10 yrs)and never had to replace a hot water heater - Irish luck?

Down Sized
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Three houses in 29 years (5 yrs, 14 yrs and 10 yrs)and never had to replace a hot water heater - Irish luck?

The electric hot water heaters usually has more maintenance than gas. The electric heater elements usually have to be changed regularly in some areas of the country. I'm not sure about Florida, not living here very long.

DangeloInspections
01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Down Sized is correct.......sounds like the Thermocouple. They do go every so often. As already said, it is not a difficult or an expensive fix and most likely within the comfort level of most DIY'ers.....

Sorry you are having so much water heater troubles lately!

Frank

daleejr66
01-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Sounds like the filament is burned out on the pilot. Should not have to replace tank.

billethkid
01-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I did go to youtube and concluded I could do that.

I got the burner assembly out this morning only to find that AO Smith does not use a "standard" thermocouple. The one they have is acteally as if it were in two segments joined by a capacitor about half way down the sensor tube.

ILowes does not handle any thermocouples at all. Home Depot had a couple of universal, should fit all (most) hot water heaters. None had the capacitor configuration.

So tomorrow when the world gets back to work I will ask AO Smith customer service if a universal replacement is interchangeable with their design. One could surmize that a thermocouple is a thermocouple and it will perform it's function regardless of design. Maybe not. I am concerned there may be some effect of the capacitor design that might keep the controller from recognizing the signal from the universal.

I love getting these unplanned educationsI am off to the hot tub to for at least a rinse!!

btk