PDA

View Full Version : Need help with laminate flooring and stairs

msendo
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
We're in the process of fixing up our house, with the hopes of selling and taking off for TV. For numerous reasons, we have decided to go with laminate flooring throughout the house. Has anyone who has installed this type of flooring dealt with stairs? Once we rip up the carpeting, there is old linoleum on the steps with a sort of metal ridge at the edge of each step. One suggestion given to us was to replace it with new carpet, as an easy fix. We want this house to be decent, should we be 'stuck' living here, but at the same time we want to be economical about how we go about it. Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

In March we'll be making a quick visit to TV for the third time. This really keeps us motivated in plugging away at this poor old neglected house. We've spent many years raising our five kids. Now it's our time to play!

jimbo2012
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
it's carpet or sand them down to org wood

jblum315
02-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Personally I would go with new carpet. I think stairs should always be carpeted.

graciegirl
02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Personally I would go with new carpet. I think stairs should always be carpeted.

I agree with JBlum. I always do.

Neutral carpeting to match the carpet you replace in the bedrooms is my suggestion. People like carpeting in bedrooms. Neutral tile in the baths.

Neutral paint, all the same color throughout.

I know you know this. There are SO many folks that watch HGTV. It was a huge help in staging our house in Ohio to sell.

Uptown Girl
02-18-2013, 07:54 AM
If the stairs are many, as in a staircase, I would re-carpet them, even if you choose to use laminate on the floors. The two will blend together.
Laminate would be labor intensive on a staircase, not necessarily cheaper than carpet to purchase and would bounce the sound around the walls going up the stairwell- something most people won't be drawn to.

If your concern is keeping new carpet looking good while you are packing, showing the house and moving, here are two suggestions:

There is a company called Protective Products (online) that sells rolls of what looks a bit like saran wrap. It is temporary carpet protector with a light-tack adhesive that will stick to but not harm the carpeting.
Up North, it is commonly put down in most model homes, along the traffic pattern of the carpet.
I have used this product in two different homes I have sold. It can be safely kept down for about 6 months with no harm to the carpet. I have used it on staircases and it is not slippery.
It is helpful to have two people working together when laying it down, and well worth the effort. Potential buyers were impressed that this care was taken.
I would also wait to install the new carpeting until anything else that needs to be done is completed. The new carpet would be the finishing touch before showing.

My other suggestion would be to offer (as part of the sales contract) an amount of money toward replacement carpeting of the stairwell.

If you should buy a roll of this stuff, you may very well have some left over to place down in your new TV home, before you move in. We did, and it helped a lot until we got settled.
Good luck on your new adventure!
:)

msendo
02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all your help. Carpet sounds like the way to go. As far as the decor goes, I have to keep reminding myself that I should keep everything neutral for now. I'll be able to play with color schemes in my new house.

KennyC
03-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum, my name is Ken.

In answer to your question, yes, you can use the laminate on the stairs.
I have done 2 such instances.

The metal that you are describing sounds like old school stair nose for the tile. Remove the metal. Remove the old tile if you can.

Decide if you want to put laminate on the risers or paint those.

I used the laminate. Buy stair nose that matches your laminate. Install the stair nose with construction adhesive and brads from a nail gun.

I have a 130lb Rotweiller and have had NO issues, other than the fact I had to put runners or he wouldn't go up...lol

Email me if you get stuck.

lsf5657
06-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Can you tell me how you finshed the exposed edge on an open end step. I am having a hard time locating the trim piece for this type of installation