PDA

View Full Version : wireless home security systems?

billethkid
02-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Has anybody put in a "wireless" home security system?
If monitored, what monitoring service did you decide upon?
I assume, since the system is wireless sesing devices would be battery operated; if yes what type batteries?

Any other information to help in the decision making process.

btk

jimbo2012
02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
THey are great systems, I've been using this company for 4 years in my warehouse and home in NY to monitor.

Monitoring (http://watchlight.com/monitoring/)

watchlight@watchlight.com

Cedwards38
02-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Without hesitation, the best home security system on the market is Frontpoint Security. It's all wireless and the customer service is incredible. Do a Google search for it and check out some of the video about it's product. I have it in two homes and replaced ADT in one. It's simply the best, and that's not just my opinion but comes also from several consumer rating services. Hope this is helpful!

doyle31
02-21-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm just wondering why people use any security system here in The Villages. It seems really safe to me....

graciegirl
02-21-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm just wondering why people use any security system here in The Villages. It seems really safe to me....

I agree with you.

However some people are more worried than others and may have lived in areas where it wasn't safe or perceive all places as potential higher crime areas.

And, in my opinion for some. it is their philosophy of life is to be armed and ready for any threat. That attitude is new to me since moving here. Maybe they are right and I am wrong, but I think AT THIS TIME, most people don't need security systems here. But if it makes them feel safer and calmer and increases their happiness than do it by all means.

I am bopped on every time I make a statement like that and a lot of people think I am stupid.

I feel this place is as safe as the area we left in Ohio and unless or until I think that is changing, I won't get my knickers in a hitch.

jimbo2012
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Agree NY yes, here I'll pass, too many neighbors and the cruise by patrols.

nitehawk
02-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Q-See.com do it yourself -- works great

2BNTV
02-21-2013, 08:37 AM
I agree TV is a safe place. Some people feel more comfortable with a security system. They also may have valuables they want to keep safe.

I personally don't think I will need one as I don't keep anything of value. I am not into jewelery, etc. I plan to have my valuables insured.

They will cause an inconvenience but I will always have it replace at cost value.

Cedwards38
02-21-2013, 10:07 AM
The security system is a particular peace of mind for those of us who have a home in The Villages, but currently do not live there full time.

billethkid
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I personally do not have a need for one in TV. We have a lake home in the mountains of TN and need on there. We have one now that is over 20 years old and needs updating. The system has worked well over the years however we get infrequent false alarms which I attribute to the aging system.

If the new wireless ones are as effective at remote control as advertized, I am interested in looking at them. I do have a concern about these units and how they reliably power the multiple contact points. We'll see.

I appreciate the recommendations on monitoring companies.

btk

Lark7
06-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know if you have to register your wireless security system with anyone in the villages? Also, if you installed your own wireless system, did you have to pay a permit fee? Thanks! Lark

DianeM
06-21-2013, 12:15 PM
I just had an ADT system installed this week. The wireless ones didn't give me the warm fuzzies. While I agree that TV seems safe and secure, I was used to having a monitored home and went for it here.

Cedwards38
06-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know if you have to register your wireless security system with anyone in the villages? Also, if you installed your own wireless system, did you have to pay a permit fee? Thanks! Lark

No and no.