PDA

View Full Version : Rescued Yellow Parakeet

CFrance
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
DGx2 kindly rescued a yellow parakeet from her backyard on Bachman Path, backing up to Tarpon Boil in Buttonwood. She put the info on the forum, and we have taken possession of the bird (yes, he is a parakeet, not a canary--yellow with a green neck) because her dog was not amenable to having a bird. We have a Cockatiel and extra cage and food.

This is a sweet bird and is verrrrrrrrry hungry. Blackbirds were attacking it. but it is only slightly injured, thanks to Donna and her husband's quick action.

If you know whose bird this is, please PM me or call 352-610-6334.

Also, since I'm new at this, I would like any suggestions as to how to find the owner. Someone already suggested calling the radio station, which I will, and also my vet. We've only been here a year and don't know where the rescue societies are.

He's a sweet bird and will have a forever home here if we can't find the owner. But I hate to think of someone missing a pet.

duffysmom
04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Wow.. thank you for stepping up, never a dull moment. I didn't realize blackbirds attack smaller birds. I'm amazed
the bird could be caught so easily; perhaps he was exhausted and hungry. The radio station is the best way to get the word out. Please keep us informed.

golf4me
04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Good for you.

gerryann
04-14-2013, 07:28 PM
My link won't copy, but they're are wild parakeets in Florida.

CFrance
04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Wow.. thank you for stepping up, never a dull moment. I didn't realize blackbirds attack smaller birds. I'm amazed
the bird could be caught so easily; perhaps he was exhausted and hungry. The radio station is the best way to get the word out. Please keep us informed.

Duffysmom, it appears to us that his wings are clipped, making me wonder even more how he got out from wherever he was. But that's why he couldn't fly away from the black birds. I'm guessing the normal instinctual thing took over, and they were going after the weak one. I'm so glad Donna and her husband saw what was going on and took action.

Anyway, he ate a TON of food and promptly tucked his head in and went to sleep. There are a few nicks on his head, but otherwise he seems fine.

I was going to ask Pooh if she minds if we name him Pooh. Just seems to fit the sweet little guy.

CFrance
04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
My link won't copy, but they're are wild parakeets in Florida.

I can't open that link, gerryann. But we're certain his wings are clipped, which would make him domesticated. Plus he seems quite content to be in the cage.

I will be taking him to our avian vet to be checked if I don't hear anything from an owner in the next day or two.

pooh
04-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Duffysmom, it appears to us that his wings are clipped, making me wonder even more how he got out from wherever he was. But that's why he couldn't fly away from the black birds. I'm guessing the normal instinctual thing took over, and they were going after the weak one. I'm so glad Donna and her husband saw what was going on and took action.

Anyway, he ate a TON of food and promptly tucked his head in and went to sleep. There are a few nicks on his head, but otherwise he seems fine.

I was going to ask Pooh if she minds if we name him Pooh. Just seems to fit the sweet little guy.

Would love to have the little birdie named Pooh. Thank you for taking care of this sweet little guy.....;)

CFrance
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Would love to have the little birdie named Pooh. Thank you for taking care of this sweet little guy.....;)

Okay, Pooh he is! Thanks, Pooh.

Barefoot
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
DGx2 kindly rescued a yellow parakeet from her backyard on Bachman Path, backing up to Tarpon Boil in Buttonwood. She put the info on the forum, and we have taken possession of the bird (yes, he is a parakeet, not a canary--yellow with a green neck) because her dog was not amenable to having a bird. We have a Cockatiel and extra cage and food.

This is a sweet bird and is verrrrrrrrry hungry. Blackbirds were attacking it. but it is only slightly injured, thanks to Donna and her husband's quick action. He's a sweet bird and will have a forever home here if we can't find the owner. But I hate to think of someone missing a pet.

Bless you for rescuing Pooh. Hopefully the radio station will alert the owner who must be really distraught.

CFrance
04-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Bless you for rescuing Pooh. Hopefully the radio station will alert the owner who must be really distraught.

I'm about to show my ignorance here... Can someone please tell me the call letters of the TV radio station so I can look up their number?

Pooh has survived the night and is eating again. I think his leg might be injured as he's falling a bit. Calling the vet today.

He will let me pet him, but he doesn't seem to know how to "step up" onto my finger.

gomoho
04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Wvlg

KatieDidNot
04-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Thank you for rescuing this baby! Makes my day, that there are still people in this World that do this. :clap2:

I hope the bird makes a full and quick recovery, you are a very kind person, and please let us know how it all turns out.

Katie

CFrance
04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Thank you for rescuing this baby! Makes my day, that there are still people in this World that do this. :clap2:

I hope the bird makes a full and quick recovery, you are a very kind person, and please let us know how it all turns out.

Katie

Thanks, Katie. He is at the vet now, who will see him between surgeries. So I will not know till later. He's definitely injured his wing, and they are hoping he is not sick. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, gomoho, for the radio stations letters.

pooh
04-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Any news on Pooh? Hope the little birdie is doing well.