PDA

View Full Version : Johnny miller

ROCKETMAN
05-27-2013, 07:28 AM
I thought it was just me but i read a letter in yesterdays sun about someone who feels the same way i do about miller's bias against tiger woods. When the tournaments are on nbc i don't pay attention to the announcing because he talks too much. I like maltbie and rolfing and dan hicks. His bias was never more evident when tiger hit the shot in the water and he went nuts that tiger had taken an incorrect drop. From the tv shot it lookled that way but from behind the golfers rolfing corrected miller and said the ball did cross land where he took the drop. Miller never said another word.

Madelaine Amee
05-27-2013, 07:44 AM
I thought it was just me but i read a letter in yesterdays sun about someone who feels the same way i do about miller's bias against tiger woods. When the tournaments are on nbc i don't pay attention to the announcing because he talks too much. I like maltbie and rolfing and dan hicks. His bias was never more evident when tiger hit the shot in the water and he went nuts that tiger had taken an incorrect drop. From the tv shot it lookled that way but from behind the golfers rolfing corrected miller and said the ball did cross land where he took the drop. Miller never said another word.

:clap2: Agree completely.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
05-27-2013, 09:07 AM
"The longer I'm up in this booth, the easier this game gets." Johnny Miller

davecz1
05-27-2013, 09:12 AM
:clap2: Agree completely.

Guys, I love all the on course commentators. The booth guys, Johnny and Faldo are the worst. Blah, blah, blah. Play by play guys are all good. IMHO:boxing2:

Polar Bear
05-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Heck, I like the entire broadcast crew. Since I don't have any use for Tiger, I don't even mind Miller. I've never noticed a huge Miller bias against Tiger, but as I said, I don't really like Tiger, so maybe I just don't notice it.

justjim
05-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Heck, I like the entire broadcast crew. Since I don't have any use for Tiger, I don't even mind Miller. I've never noticed a huge Miller bias against Tiger, but as I said, I don't really like Tiger, so maybe I just don't notice it.

I'm with you Polar Bear----I think Tiger is a self-centered arrogant so and so. We followed Tiger around 10-12 years ago on the course and he treats the spectators like second class people and has no time for them. He thinks he should be payed for his autograph. Tiger is a very skilled golfer (0ne of the best of all time)--no doubt about that----but that isn't the total story of Tiger Woods as the public found out during his "wife" and "call girl" troubles just a few years ago. Johnny Miller's comments are a bit "sharp" sometimes but he has about the same type comments for all the pro golfers. Johnny knows golf and he tells it like he sees it----sometimes he is wrong. That takes guts and I like that.

Tom Grooms
05-28-2013, 07:14 AM
For a little insight on Tiger Woods, I highly recommend Hank Haney's book, The Big Miss. Great read...

eweissenbach
05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I am a big fan of Miller. I think he is outspoken and critical, but I like that as opposed to all the sports commentators who simply are shills for the players. Many former players get in the booth and think it is their job to hold up for the players under any circumstance. When Miller thinks any player, including Tiger, deserves criticism he offers it, when they deserve praise he offers that. Let the chips fall where they may. BTW I am also a big fan of GOLFER Tiger Woods.

Russ_Boston
05-28-2013, 11:01 AM
He thinks he should be payed for his autograph.

Has nothing to do with being paid. Don't think he even does that.

I have seen him sign but he does it on the run and only a few. He's just way too popular to stop and sign. Have you ever seen the crowds that follow him? It's a least 5-1 over any other golfer. Once the Beatles got popular they never stopped either - they'd get crushed! I wouldn't put Tiger down just for that. Other things? maybe.

eweissenbach
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Has nothing to do with being paid. Don't think he even does that.

I have seen him sign but he does it on the run and only a few. He's just way too popular to stop and sign. Have you ever seen the crowds that follow him? It's a least 5-1 over any other golfer. Once the Beatles got popular they never stopped either - they'd get crushed! I wouldn't put Tiger down just for that. Other things? maybe.

On the button Russ! Celebrities are constantly hounded for their autograph and if they sign one then they are an a..hole if they don't sign another. If they sign a hundred and don't sign #101 they are an a..hole. No winning that game, not to mention that a lot of autograph seekers are just looking to cash in down the road. Just enjoy their work and cheer or jeer them if you must, they don't owe you anything but their best possible performance.

Mikeod
05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
On the button Russ! Celebrities are constantly hounded for their autograph and if they sign one then they are an a..hole if they don't sign another. If they sign a hundred and don't sign #101 they are an a..hole. No winning that game, not to mention that a lot of autograph seekers are just looking to cash in down the road. Just enjoy their work and cheer or jeer them if you must, they don't owe you anything but their best possible performance.

When I work at the PGA Tour events as a walking scorer, it is traditional for the players to give an autographed ball to the standard bearer and the scorer. In all the years I've done this, every pro from the top names to the journeymen have done this. This year at The Players, I had the good fortune to work with the group that had Tiger, Kuchar, and Snedeker. After the round, Kuchar and Snedeker presented each of us with an autographed ball, but Tiger did not. I'm a big boy and I can handle it, but the young boy who lugged that sign for 18 holes was very disappointed. I know Tiger protects his autograph closely, but a ball with his imprinted name would have made that young man's day. He probably doesn't need any more fans, but I think that kid will be unlikely to become one.

Russ_Boston
05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
When I work at the PGA Tour events as a walking scorer, it is traditional for the players to give an autographed ball to the standard bearer and the scorer. In all the years I've done this, every pro from the top names to the journeymen have done this. This year at The Players, I had the good fortune to work with the group that had Tiger, Kuchar, and Snedeker. After the round, Kuchar and Snedeker presented each of us with an autographed ball, but Tiger did not. I'm a big boy and I can handle it, but the young boy who lugged that sign for 18 holes was very disappointed. I know Tiger protects his autograph closely, but a ball with his imprinted name would have made that young man's day. He probably doesn't need any more fans, but I think that kid will be unlikely to become one.

That is unfortunate. I root for the play not the player if that makes any sense. For example I root for the Patriots but I couldn't care less who's on the team - as long as we win! I do root for Tiger because of the immense legacy that he is creating. To me Tiger is like the Patriots - I root for 'that guy who is one of the best to ever play' to win not because he's Tiger Woods.

Golfingnut
05-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I like Tiger Woods a whole bunch. It might be because I feel guilty about all the off color jokes I told as a kid, but I think Tiger is the best golfer of all time. Those that don't might still be telling those jokes. No Offence.

Polar Bear
05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I like Tiger Woods a whole bunch. It might be because I feel guilty about all the off color jokes I told as a kid, but I think Tiger is the best golfer of all time. Those that don't might still be telling those jokes. No Offence.

Offence taken. ;^)

Some have said they root for the play, not the player. I often do thay myself. And I can overlook most human transgressions...I've had enough of my own...but not those of the magnitude of Tiger's. Combine that with his demeanor and actions...greatest or not (highly debatable)...I still can't stand the guy.

eweissenbach
05-28-2013, 06:29 PM
That is unfortunate. I root for the play not the player if that makes any sense. For example I root for the Patriots but I couldn't care less who's on the team - as long as we win! I do root for Tiger because of the immense legacy that he is creating. To me Tiger is like the Patriots - I root for 'that guy who is one of the best to ever play' to win not because he's Tiger Woods.

I don't necessarily "root" for Tiger, but I enjoy watching him play and win. Babe Ruth was a womanizer and had a multitude of bad habits, yet I would have loved to see him play as I believe him to be the best baseball player ever. The same goes for Woods, I get to watch a player who will likely set records that will last for years, if not decades. Rumor has it that the revered Arnold Palmer was far from faithful to Winnie, yet he has millions of fans. If we judge our athletic heroes based on their faults and missteps, we may have few to look up to. In fact I should not use the term "heroes" , as that implies mythic qualities. Maybe idols would be a better term. This is not to imply that I excuse bad behavior or don't admire exemplary behavior, but try to separate the performance from the character. For example the Royals have an outfielder by the name of Jeff Francour who by all accounts and all appearances is a terrific human being, teammate, and fan favorite. Unfortunately he has played terribly for the past year and a half and I, along with most Royals fans would prefer to see him released.

Polar Bear
05-31-2013, 10:36 PM
... try to separate the performance from the character...

I do in most cases, but I also have certain limits about what I'll tolerate and still enjoy watching an athlete. Tiger crossed WAY over that line for me.

KeepingItReal
05-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Offence taken. ;^)

Some have said they root for the play, not the player. I often do thay myself. And I can overlook most human transgressions...I've had enough of my own...but not those of the magnitude of Tiger's. Combine that with his demeanor and actions...greatest or not (highly debatable)...I still can't stand the guy.

I do in most cases, but I also have certain limits about what I'll tolerate and still enjoy watching an athlete. Tiger crossed WAY over that line for me.

:BigApplause::BigApplause:

Totally agree, having honor, respect, and character are still very important...they define the real person.

Russ_Boston
06-01-2013, 05:15 AM

Are you referring to the marriage infidelity? If so would you not root for any player in any sport that had the same? If the answer is yes then fine but if the answer is no then you might have to re-examine. Because many, many, many athletes have had public exposure of their infidelity.

graciegirl
06-01-2013, 05:23 AM
I don't necessarily "root" for Tiger, but I enjoy watching him play and win. Babe Ruth was a womanizer and had a multitude of bad habits, yet I would have loved to see him play as I believe him to be the best baseball player ever. The same goes for Woods, I get to watch a player who will likely set records that will last for years, if not decades. Rumor has it that the revered Arnold Palmer was far from faithful to Winnie, yet he has millions of fans. If we judge our athletic heroes based on their faults and missteps, we may have few to look up to. In fact I should not use the term "heroes" , as that implies mythic qualities. Maybe idols would be a better term. This is not to imply that I excuse bad behavior or don't admire exemplary behavior, but try to separate the performance from the character. For example the Royals have an outfielder by the name of Jeff Francour who by all accounts and all appearances is a terrific human being, teammate, and fan favorite. Unfortunately he has played terribly for the past year and a half and I, along with most Royals fans would prefer to see him released.

This might be a guy girl thing but this girl lost every drop of respect for him after his sport...um...you know. Sport infidelity? WOW.

I can't separate the play from the person. In golf it so often IS the person. I think he is a huge hot head and I knew this scandal would side track his play for a good while. Well he is back on his game but doesn't have me as a fan. Golf is more than that. One of the reasons is because it has hugely been a "gentleman's" game, you can insert gentlewoman if you want to, but you get what I mean. Most good golf players don't throw clubs and behave pretty well compared to other sports, don't make the headlines for doing drugs or driving under the influence. Jack Nicklaus was and will always be my ultimate hero.

I NEVER think about Tiger's race and doubt few do. He is a mixture like a lot of Americans. But he isn't someone I admire. He is a prima donna.

Polar Bear
06-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Are you referring to the marriage infidelity? If so would you not root for any player in any sport that had the same? If the answer is yes then fine but if the answer is no then you might have to re-examine. Because many, many, many athletes have had public exposure of their infidelity.

Many athletes have been unfaithful. It's never good. But few can hold a candle to the nature and magnitude of Tiger's transgressions. If you equate all infidelities to be identical, that's your prerogative. But few if any have attained the sordidness of Tiger's.

And besides that...what Gracie said.

Russ_Boston
06-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Many athletes have been unfaithful. It's never good. But few can hold a candle to the nature and magnitude of Tiger's transgressions. If you equate all infidelities to be identical, that's your prerogative. But few if any have attained the sordidness of Tiger's.

And besides that...what Gracie said.

So one or two infidelities would have been fine? I have a feeling most women would not agree. All infidelities are equal in my opinion. Can't rob a bank and get away with it because you stopped after one. Don't condone Tiger's actions but that is his thing. I'm a golfer and I watch (root) for the game. I don't care about personal lives of anyone on television or in the stadium.

Do you really know the personal lives of anyone you root for? I doubt it.

ROCKETMAN
06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
How does anyone know other golfers, baseball players, etc. have not done the things tiger has done. Lee travino has said many times the star players had a women at every tour stop and you would be surprised at the names. In those days no espn, enquirer, tmz.

Polar Bear
06-02-2013, 10:05 AM
?...Do you really know the personal lives of anyone you root for?...

Nope. But if I find out they did what Tiger did, I won't root for them either.