PDA

View Full Version : Iconic Music Locations

tpop1
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Here's a question for you that has been on my mind recently:

When you think of the places where music was made(think "Hitsville") and where music was played(think "Bill Graham's Fillmore"), what location brings forth your fondest memories?

Which saw the birth to the most significant music?

Mine has to be Woodstock!

A lot of famous performers there plus some who got their initial national prominence or whose popularity took off , such as : Joe Cocker, Richie Havens, Santana, Sha Na Na, etc.

tpop1
06-13-2013, 10:12 PM
One more try - Bump!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
The Cavern Club on Matthew Street in Liverpool England.

The Star Club, Hamburg Germany

Whisky A Go Go. Los Angeles

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
06-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Back int he sixties, a band I was with for twelve years played at a place in New York City called The Scene owned and run by a guy named Steve Paul. Everyone played there.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
The Cotton Club, 644 Lenox Avenue (at 142nd Street)

I'll probably come up with more as they keep popping into my head.

redwitch
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
For me, The Monterey Pop Festival (the pre-cursor to Woodstock). I was there Saturday all day and Sunday evening. To see Janis, Jimi, The Who, Bufffalo Springfield all in day was beyond belief (I'd never even heard of Jimi Hendrix but I'll never forget him). Otis Redding, the Mamas and the Papas, whoever sang "The Purple People Eater" (yup, there were some true pop groups there, as well lol) and so on and so forth. I could wax poetic for days. BTW -- the 45th anniversary of this event is coming up -- June 16-18.

Definitely Fillmore West and the Avalon. I can't count the times I saw Janis and the Airplane at these venues.

The Purple Onion for folk singers and comedians. Have seen The Kingston Trio, the Smothers Brothers (as a trio) and Lenny Bruce there. (It closed permanently in 2012.)

I was a bit too young but The Black Hawk in San Francisco for some true jazz greats -- Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Billie Holliday. (Johnny Mathis got his start there and one of the owners became his agent; Dave Brubeck always considered The Black Hawk as the beginning of his career.)

Being a big fan of The Boss, The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ.

CBS studios, NYC, 8-9 PM Eastern (the Ed Sullivan Show). What amazing performers he had on there. Ditto American Bandstand in Philly.

DougB
06-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Whisky a Go Go in West Hollywood
Thee Image in Miami Florida
CBGB in Manhatten

Purple People Eater was Sheb Wooley

jojo
06-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Salzburg Austria - Mozart