PDA

View Full Version : Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages????

Talk Host
01-17-2007, 02:19 PM
A friend of mine who works at the Administrative office said that discussions are underway to ban dogs from the Villages. My friend said the reason is that there are too many complaints about dogs pooping in peoples yards and dogs off of leashes. She said there is a cronic problem with a group of people who let their dogs run loose along the recreation trail under the power lines near Lopez Golf course.

That sounds kind of far fetched to me. Has anybody else heard this? How could they possibly enforce such a ban? :dontknow:

CitrusSister
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I think our dogs are safe. Just idle rumors. Someone's just barking up the wrong tree.

Talk Host
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
I asked about it again, and I was told that the discussions are real. My information is not official, it is from a third party. I know that a woman in Calumet with three dogs was told to get rid of one of them.

sparky
01-21-2007, 05:12 PM
That would be one way to correct the winter over crowding and traffic congestion. Some of these people would let you have their 'first born' before they gave up their dog. ;D

sweetana3
04-01-2007, 05:51 AM
This is a topic of great interest. What are the pet rules for the Villages? I am looking forward to getting a dog when I retire and can devote more attention to one. Are there enforced limits?

I have never seen a picture of a couple with their dog.

What about cats or birds? I would be more afraid of buying next to someone with a large screaming bird. There was a house here in Indiana and you could hear the birds inside the house from a block away.

Talk Host
04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
The current rule is that you may not have more than two domestic animals. You must keep your dog on a leash at all times where you are off the property. You must also clean up after them. While most people obey the rules, there are more than a few people who are better than everybody else and do not use a leash and do not clean up the poop.

sweetana3
04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I must have just been eliminated from admission to the Villages. I have 5 cats from 14 years old to 3 years old. I would never get rid of any of them. They are totally inside animals and never ever go outside.

JohnZ
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
The Villages setting a policy to ban dogs? They may be having discussions about that, but...nope....that dog won't hunt. That kind policy may generate a firestorm of really bad PR that could reach national news IMHO. The news media would have a field day with this. Have you noticed how many commercials on TV have dogs in 'em. Why? Because lots of folks love pupsters. Stepped-up enforcement of existing covenants would be a better solution I think.

elcid
04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds like hogwash. I find it hard to believe that an organization that would invite you to bring your dog with you on the 6 day orientation, would let something like that happen. If that should happen think the previously owned homes up for sale would rise dramatically.

sparky
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I vote to keep the dogs but ban the owners that walk their dogs down the street so they can use other peoples yards and the post office as a crapper.

Let the dog use their own yard and then take him for a walk. ;D

JohnZ
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
We received The Villages Magazine April edition this morning with the Daily Sun. This issue happens to be a "Special Pet Issue". If they're serious about a ban, why would they hype a pet friendly position like this? It just doesn't add up.

jjdees
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Right on Sparky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jstwatchng
04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Right on Sparky!

We are animal lovers, but would never think of allowing my animal to dump on someone else property even though its picked up, thats rude and disrespectful to your neighbors!

elcid
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I am a dog owner, and I agree with Sparky. I live in the first Villa behind the wall of many. Our neighbors are other Villas, Designers etc. Seems every other dog owner has our community wall as the morning and evening target to walk their dogs. It wouldn't be too bad if the owners carried bags and cleaned up. (Many do, but many go away leaving presents for the next walker).

Fines for not cleaning up worked in the last community we lived, but of course you need someone to police & report to someone who will take action.

Culvers2Villages
04-07-2007, 09:21 AM
:agree: ::) I am so glad that I have read these posts. We are DOG owners/lovers. We NEVER, I repeat NEVER allow our dog to use someone elses yard as their toilet. I believe like most of you. The problem is NOT the dog...but, the owners. It is so very rude to allow your dog to walk and poop in other people's yard... even if you do pick it up. I went out front early one morning to find the person down the street... allowing his dog so much length on the leash that the dog was up in my flowers next to my home....!!! >:(
I think it would be hard to ban Dogs from the Villages... however, banning their owners might not be such a bad idea!!! LOL Thanks for the opportunity to VOICE!!!

Have a wonderful and blessed Easter

elcid
04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd like to see signs in the common areas at least warning dog owners that don't cleanup that a fine is forthcoming if they are caught and reported. Does the Village management have the regulations to do such a thing?

cybercat
04-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal? I have yet to see anyone leave a pile anywhere in our neighborhood ... even at the walking trail near Lopez ... everyone picks up after their pets. Guess I believe there's more to life than worrying about dog poop. My pet peeve (no pun intended) is cigarette butts ... especially on the golf courses. At least the dog poop disintegrates in a day or two.

Talk Host
04-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal? I have yet to see anyone leave a pile anywhere in our neighborhood ... even at the walking trail near Lopez ... everyone picks up after their pets. Guess I believe there's more to life than worrying about dog poop. My pet peeve (no pun intended) is cigarette butts ... especially on the golf courses. At least the dog poop disintegrates in a day or two.

How nice for you to not worry about dog poop. There are lots of people who let their dogs relieve themselves in and around the yards of other people and just leave it there. I'm not sure how you can turn a blind eye to that kind of inconsiderate person.
There is a group of people who gather along the Lopez recreation trail every evening and let their dogs run without their leash. The dogs run free, chase, bark at and nip walkers, runners and bikers. I have seen as many as 10 dogs running free. Is that okay too? What puts some people above the rules while others obey them?

Talk Host
04-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal?

The more I have thought about your reply, the more I felt the need to come back and post again. Social order dictates that we all respect each other. That includes not allowing your dog to use somebody else's property as their private privy. Even if you do pick it up, it is a gross violation of the rules of being a good neighbor to assume that its okay for you to just let your dog do his business on somebody's lawn. Walk around your own lawn and let him go there. Not mine! For you to say that "life is too short too worry about it," is saying that you want to pick and choose which rules of etiquette your wish to obey.

sam and ed
04-16-2007, 04:31 PM
:cop: :agree: :edit: :dontknow:They should be banned from the village squares at all times as well as at all restaurants outside tables. :bigthumbsup: :super: :welcome: :#1:

tomahawk
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I have aways had a dog or dogs but I agree there are too many in The Villages and these people seem to have to take them every where with them...Banning is a great Idea....Lets get on the NO MORE CRAP BANDWAGONjavascript:void(0);

JohnZ
04-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Geez. Double Geez. Banning dogs a GREAT idea!!! Ok.....what's the alternative? Euthanasia? Banning dogs in The Villages........fer cry'in out loud? That could result in an exodus of substantial proportion. Heck, I might be among that exodus crowd. I could never part with my beloved Val after 15 years. She depends on me and I love her. She gives me great joy and I should be worthy of such devotion. People consider their pets family members....and rightfully so. Think about it. What will banning dogs, man's (and many many very cool women's) best friend, do to your property value if every other house in your village were put-up for sale? I for one, appreciate folks who love animals, large and small (yeah....cats too). Get real. Geez.

elcid
04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
You said it well John - I'm with you. Who would want to live in a community with out pets... Next is no grand kids.

Bobbie2836
06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
I agree with the "no dog" rule for the Squares and all restaurants. Dog lover or not, they don't belong there.

The exception, of course, would be helper dogs - but then they're pretty well behaved in the first place.

Bobbie

redsrage
06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
i own 2 small dogs 5 lbs. they do not do their business in anyone's yard except mine. i do take them to the square and to rj gators but i do it with consideration of everyone as i have them in a stroller. they are not allowed to walk around as they could trip someone or my pets could get hurt. most people control their pets better than the grandparents or parents who let their kids do cartwheels or run around the square like wild indians. we are of a age where getting knocked down by a pet, uncontrolled children and just plain rude people can be a serious matter. give me a well behaved dog anyday. i do not believe the villages can ban pets on the homeowners propery. to try to do so would lead to a vast media blast and the name of the villages would go down the tubes from here to europe.

sgvegas
06-24-2007, 12:20 PM
:agree: I also have a small dog and take him to the square where he is much better behaved than the kids that 'proud' or is it stupid grandparents bring along.

ladykathleen
06-27-2007, 06:54 PM
I owned a farm with many animals: horses, dogs, cats, chickens, cattle, goats, pigs etc. They did not use our neighbors lawns as a toilet. Dogs being walked on the road: use your lawn first as their toilet then walk them on the road. Property owners need to confront these pet owners who use their lawns as toilets and if necessary actually press charges. Keep a camera handy. Is this extreme, yes, but consider the type of pet owner who has no respect for others property. These owners can't be insulted but you can make a huge issue of their behavior. People take advantage of others because few want to create "a scene". I am not one for sitting back and suffering their abuse.

JohnZ
06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Just a reminder....make sure your camera has infrared capability. If your camera does not have this feature, it's worth the investment. Gotta catch 'em at night time too.

JohnZ
07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Don't worry oshunluva. Dogs are welcome here and always will be in my opinion. When the flood gates open....it's difficult to put the water back in.

Frangyomory
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
There would be a massive exodus if that heppened! About 50% or better of the folks here have pets and most of them are dogs. As for me, I'd sell the place I love to keep by little 10 year doggie. Nah...not a chance in you know where it would happen!!!!

billethkid
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Let me see...I have decided to put this subject on my ongoing list of things likely to happen.....first on the list is winning the lottery.....ban dogs is right after the first one happens!!!

BTK :joke:

geobar
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
We are both looking in The Villages and in Oct./07 will be our 4th trip to look again.
As presently not living in The Villages we perhaps would consider other 55 and over communities if this happens. In the 70'ss in our first Condo they banned replacement dogs after 5 years living there. In another our present Condo Dogs are still permitted but there are certain people who do not and will not follow the leash and clean up rules set by the Board. So they are I guess are content in paying a $50.00 fine when written up. Would be really a shame if this ban on Dogs happens. Still looking forward to our next visit to T.V. as no definite rule changes are made