PDA

View Full Version : Lamp post light does not turn on

JMEZARIC3
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
My lamp post light does not turn on at night.Replace the bulb but it still does not work.I have a Colony Patio Villa but cannot find a wall switch for the lamp post or determine what breaker to shut down before I replace the sensor.I do not want to shut down the whole house to replace the sensor.
Any ideas?

foxmeadow
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
My lamp post light does not turn on at night.Replace the bulb but it still does not work.I have a Colony Patio Villa but cannot find a wall switch for the lamp post or determine what breaker to shut down before I replace the sensor.I do not want to shut down the whole house to replace the sensor.
Any ideas?

Before replacing sensor, check the ground fault outlets on the porch and/or the garage. Preferably after dark.

N44125
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Our breaker for the pole lamp is the same one for the sprinkler system control box.

Halibut
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
While my lamppost light won't turn off. No idea what to do so I've been waiting for the bulb to burn out. :laugh:

red tail
07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
While my lamppost light won't turn off. No idea what to do so I've been waiting for the bulb to burn out. :laugh:

its a simple light sensor switch. home depot for it!

AJ32162
07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Your light sensor on the post needs to be replaced.

kittygilchrist
07-09-2013, 02:24 PM

flip the breaker.

Golfingnut
07-09-2013, 02:48 PM
You will find a ground fault breaker in the garage has tripped reset and your back in good shape

asianthree
07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
our sensor was $72

red tail
07-09-2013, 03:13 PM
our sensor was $72

$11 on amazon

Amazon.com: Greenfield DPPS Weatherproof Dusk-to-Dawn Photosensor: Home Improvement

Mikeod
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Our lamppost went out last winter. Replaced the sensor and it still didn't work. Electrician came out, sniffed around the post and dug it up. The post had corroded and the sharp edges cut the wire to the lamp. They were able to free enough wire to splice it and put a waterproof covering on the splice. They also put some protection around the hole the wire enters the post to reduce the chance of another short. Lamp worked great for a week, then stopped working. I called them back and they determined the sensor was bad. Replaced it and the light has worked ever since.

BTW, our lamppost does not run through a ground fault circuit. We had to shut it down at the panel and the circuit included the garage lights and garage door opener as well as the outlets in the laundry room. What a pain opening and closing the garage door manually until I realized the outlets in the garage were still on. I ran a heavy duty extension cord to the opener so we could use it again.

sandybill2
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
two of our neighbors had same issue---sensor was not working. They bought replacement sensors at Ace and then at Lowe's. Neither replacement sensor worked very long. Finally called Pike Electric at Sumter Landing----talked to them---they asked if sensors were bought at Ace and Lowe's------said there was a problem with them. The sensor cost a little more at Pike but so far they are still working.

LndLocked
07-10-2013, 02:29 AM
I have prob replaced 2 dozen lamp post sensors. Sometimes they go bad and the bulb will not come on .... sometimes they go bad and it will not turn off.

I have never seen one on a GFI circuit. Typically they are on the same circuit as all of the other outside lights.

I have never had a replacement one from Lowes or HD go bad (oldest replacement is prob about 5 years old). If you are going to use a florescence bulb in your lamp post you must make sure the sensor is rated for one .... it will specifically say so on the packaging.

kittygilchrist
07-10-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm in a 2013 lantana. the top left switch is designated for the post.

joeana
07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Any ideas?In the circuit breakers' box you should find one circuit breaker labeled "post lamp". This circuit breaker is probably off. Turn it on.

JMEZARIC3
11-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Purchased a new sensor at the hardware store near Publix on 466 for under $10.I had to shut down the electric to the whole house because I did not know which breaker controlled the lamp post.The installation was easy.
The lamp post is on the General Lighting breaker for my Patio Villa built around
2005.I now have the breaker labeled for the lamp post.Next time I replace the sensor I will not need to reset all my clocks.

Topspinmo
11-09-2013, 12:48 AM
When even I move into new house (new to me) I go through the main breaker box and go through the attic looking at the wiring for any defects or rewire jobs by previous owners. I systematically go through each labeled breaker by turning off each breaker and see were the power is cut in the house or outside. If I find difference I re-label. That way when in emergency I know what breaker powers what. BUT, I still test it with multi-meter before I open up any circuits. Reason I do this some switches that control one light from opposite sides may still have power feeding in depending on how it was wired. Only sure way to know if power is removed is using multi-meter or throwing the main breaker IMO.