PDA

View Full Version : Let's encourage development along 42 at Mulberry

Talk Host
04-16-2007, 07:34 AM
What a great site. All along 42 East of Bruster's, there is prime property with thousands of residents who need businesses and restaurants. Bruster's also needs foot traffic.

Bruster's had a big promotion Saturday. Did you see the people? Let's support them as much as possible and encourage further development at that site.

There are over 500 members here and 100,000 page views. That's lots of people seeing these posts. Tell your friends to join here and help get things going.

JLK

sparky
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Jan, Did you mean Brewsters?? :redface:

Talk Host
04-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Jan, Did you mean Brewsters?? :redface:

I think you'll find that it is Bruster's

sparky
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
OOOOOPS, My mistake. :redface:
I was only there once. It's a little rich for my blood. It was good but $$$$.

JohnZ
04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Sparky:

If you like the ice cream at Bruster's but find it a bit pricey, try going to the "Happy Hour" promotion we have from 5PM to 6PM Monday through Frday....buy one get one free on cones or dishes, That's a 50% discount :bigthumbsup:. Further, there's nine ounces of the best ice cream in town in a single scoop waffle cone. Compare to Cold Stone, DQ or Carvel and you'll find that our prices are very competitive. And don't forget to bring your own banana on Thursdays and get 50% off on a banana split....they're pretty big and we have lots of customers who ask for two spoons so they could share. We use the best and freshest ingredients .....whole pecans (not pieces), whole pistachios.....well you get the picture.....no corners are cut. Better than Hagen Daz....uh huh. The ice cream is made in the store, fresh every single day. Stop by, ask for Patty or John... we'd love to show our neighbors how it's done.

Donna
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Johnz..Can't wait to try your ice cream on our next visit..I love ice cream!!

JohnZ
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
BTW Jan, thanks for the Bruster's plug. We had a spectacular turn-out for our fund raiser for The Villages Hospice. Thanks to all of you for helping us raise 1,000 bucks for the wonderful folks at hospice. What a day! WVLG radio personalities broadcasted live from our patio and they were ALL super guys. Even when off the air, the DJ's came back after a brief respite (it was hot and sunny on our patio) just to hang-out. The folks at WVLG are a close-knit family indeed, truly dedicated to all the fund raising causes in The Villages and they are very, very professional and serious with their work. We'd like to do this again next year.

Now, regarding development along Hwy 42......here's the skinny from my viewpoint. There appear to be two camps. Those generally in support of development and those against it. The size of each camp is unknown. Before going further, let's spend a moment to define "development". There's business development and residential development. I think the camp in favor of business development is larger than against....but this is difficult to quantify. Regarding residential development....there seems to be opposition to this. As evidence, there was a re-zoning effort concerning land development just west of The Villages western most boundary to re-zone the land from agricultural/farm to residential. Public meetings were held by local governments and controlling agencies (such as the VCDD) to vote on this issue and in large part to gauge public opinion. If you've ever gone to these things, turn-out and voice of opinion are paramount. The most vocal DO get heard and that, yes that, is what often shapes the decision being made. If there is little residential representation at these meetings.....the tail can and WILL wag the dog. A single resident or small group of similar mind can steer the development ship.

Business owners develop their business plans on existing residential density AND projected future growth. The restaurants and retail businesses that serve you today have all gone through this process. Without your business AND the business generated from future residential and business growth, many will not survive. Bruster's, Beef O'Brady's, Pauly's Pizza, Mystical Gems and others, maybe even Publix, located in Mulberry Grove, are depending on this growth. If you want more businesses to locate on Hwy. 42, get informed, get active and get vocal. Take this fantastic Talk of The Villages forum for example. Jan is trying to develop this website into a business. IT DOESN'T RUN ITSELF FOLKS. Businesses are always looking to advertise their wares and this may be the place to do that. However, it's a complex web of symbiotic relationships that many take for granted. Businesses depend on residential customers....residential growth contributes to business growth....Talk of the Villages depends on the success of business. Get the picture?

Enough said for now....tired of typing. If you would like information regarding upcoming VCDD and county meetings and such, I would be glad to post. Give me feedback!

REDCART
04-17-2007, 07:21 PM
We're still only part-time Village residents but we're always anxious to try new Village experiences, and Brusters is on our short list. We look forward to trying Brusters on our next visit. Until now, our only experience with ice cream was the lactose-free treats from Ambrosia in Lake Sumter. Don't know if they're your competition but it was very good. We don't have a problem with lactose, so we have no problem eating real ice cream. Your explanation of costs was polite, and your invitation to come in and see you make ice cream can only encourage others to try Brusters. Nicely done! This forum has to be good for business.

Sandy222
04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Wasn't there suppose to be a VA Hospital/Clinic built on 42? That should bring in alot of traffic for new businesses.

ladykathleen
04-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Kathleen: Development along 42 so that we can have more speeding and I mean speeding traffic on Buena Vista. I thought we had moved into a gated community without a public expressway through our community.

Kitria
04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Buena Vista is a County road..there for it is county controlled as far as speed setting and I presume regulating the speed ( giving out speeding tickets) I don't see how they can speed too much with so many traffic circles to slow them down. But, if you say so..they do..

JohnZ
04-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Oh....let me get this straight....prohibit development on Hwy. 42 as a deterent to speeding on Buena Vista? Do you really think that'll work? My goodness......THINK about that for more than the few seconds it took to make your post. I'm mean REALLY think. If you cannot arrive at a logical conclusion by deductive reasoning ......well never mind.....I don't think that an explaination on the subject issue would be helpful to you.

ladykathleen
05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Did I say prohibit development along 42 to control speeding on the Buena Vista Expressway NO I did not. You read into my post what you wanted to read. Instead of debating my opinion you thought you would be "smart" to be derogatory. Sad for you. I alluded to the fact that this would contribute to additional traffic on the road which of course would mean more out of control speeding. My frustration is with the lack of police patrol. Development along 42 will take place without any of my input. My "venting" should not have triggered such a confortational response in your reply. Do you live in Marion County?

I would be all for making Buena Vista a private road of the numbered districts. We are bike riders. As bike riders we come in very close contact with sooooooooooooooo many drivers, not seniors who use Buena Vista as an expressway to cut through. You think the circles slow drivers down? Come ride with us.

JohnZ
05-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Kathleen:

My post simply asked you to think about what you wrote. Here is what I understand to be your premise....development of hwy 92 will lead to increased traffic on Buena Vista which will lead to increased speeding. I don't see the connection between development of Hwy 42 and speeding on Buena Vista. Not even a tenuous connection. If you like open debate....try to explain that connection and we can carry it from there. The intention and tenor of my post was not to be "smart" or "derogatory" or "confrontational". I was trying to be poignant and eloquent in making a point. Buena Vista was already here at the time that you bought your home.......and it is most definitely NOT an expressway. I travel that road every day and my experience is that most people travel between 35 and 40 mph. The traffic and speed on Buena Vista has not changed much since we bought our villa four years ago. Lastly, to answer your question, yes, I live in Marion.

ladykathleen
05-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Hello John,

Nice to be able to chat with you. I will disagree with you as to speeding on Buena Vista. My husband and I like you, do not speed and we are very concious of being courteous to other drivers. However, I will continue to refer to Buena Vista as the EXPRESSWAY . We travel this road on our bikes early in the morning and in the afternoons and excuse me, there are many and I emphazise many speeders and many of them are not seniors. In fact if we lowered the speed limit to 25 maybe then we would have most of the drivers not exceeding 40 miles per hour. It's nice to know that you live in Marion County. I personally and John I said personally that I believe district four to be the very best district in which to live. If it had not been for the district four Board the straw vote (which was not honoured) no surprise there, would never "have come to pass".

Now John would increased development along 42 of which John I have ABSOLUTELY no input increase the number of speeders??????????????? YOU BET.

Again John
Nice to chat with you
Kathleen

JohnZ
05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I still don't understand how you make a connection between development on Hwy 42 and speeding on Buena Vista.

ladykathleen
05-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Okay John,

One more time: More development equals more people, equals more people who will use Buena Vista as a "cut through" and since as I have said there is much and I mean much speeding already this equals MORE PEOPLE SPEEDING DOWN THE BUENA VISTA EXPRESSWAY. Are you alluding to an assumption that the additional usage would mean those drivers would all obey the speed limit????????????? , no John they will not.

JohnZ
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
The re-zoning request that I mentioned (concerning CCD4 ) in a separate post has been approved. Approximately 33 acres of land south of 42 next to the Baptist church will be re-zoned from agricultural to medium-density residential. Do you think it's too early to consider widening Buena Vista?