PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?

Talk Host
04-20-2007, 07:11 AM
We talk lots here about local restaurants. What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?
Mine happens to be an Armenian restaurant in Moscow. I have been there on numerous occasions and am always impressed with the food, atmosphere and culture. I have been in the kitchen and there are at least 15 people, from Grandma and Grandpa to grand son and everybody in between.

How about your favorite restaurant memory!

marianne237
04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
In Valparaiso, Indiana, is the Strongbow Turkey Inn. They've been in business over 50 years and as their name implies, the prime choice is turkey served many ways. Now hosted by the third generation, their menu has evolved and they offer more choices. They also opened a bakery on the premises. We never had a bad meal there and surely do miss one of our favorite restaurants. You can find their famous turkey pot pie in the local groceries. Oh how I wish we had them down here.

kregski
08-26-2007, 09:41 PM
have been to strongbow..a northwest indiana classic. but geez marianne237 how can you compare strongbow to white castle,,love them sliders lol....

bestmickey
08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I can't list just one, I have to give two answers. The best meal I've ever had was at Walt Disney World's California Grille (on top of the Contemporary Resort). My other favorite restaurant was in Wales, at a 16th Century castle/villa where I stayed, named (and I'm certain I'm butchering the spelling) Faenl Fawle.

Indy-Guy
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
My favorite is Bonge,s Tavern about 25 miles NE of Indianapolis in Perkinsville IN. It is a destination restarant. Most of the time people are tailgating as they wait to get in. You tell the hostess what parking place you are in and they come and get you. They allow you to bring your own cooler and snacks for while you are waiting. I have been there on a Saturday night at 5:45 and the parking lot is full and they are done taking names as they are full for the night. I have waited (party-ed) for over 2 hours to get in. Take a look!!! http://www.bongestavern.com/

jtdraig
08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I think my overall favorite is a place called "Les Sebillion" in Paris just off the Champs Elysee near the Palais de Congress. I went through a period when I was in Paris on business four to six times annually for a ten year period. This place served Leg of Lamb in copper pots on a bed of white beans. Over time, I could walk into the restaurant, be warmly welcomed, given my little booth for 2 even though I was only always one, sit back, relax, and chill. They brought me my lamb, white beans, salad after dinner, and a bottle of St Emilion Bourdeaux. Dinner was never any more than $35.00 US plus tip. I LOVED to have dinner and take a walk down the Champs after a tough day at the Office.

The Great Fumar
08-27-2007, 09:11 PM
THE WIALANA COFFEE SHOP IN WIAKIKI............FIRST PLACE I HEAD FOR TO GET MAHI MAHI................

Villages Kahuna
08-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I've eaten in a lot of fancy and high-priced restaurants during my 25 years in commercial banking. But none was as memorable as dinner at The River Cafe. The restaurant is on a barge that floats right under the Brooklyn Bridge. It's address is 1 Water Street, Brooklyn. The window tables are highly sought after as you sit and view the lights of lower Manahattan and East River boat traffic as you enjoy their magnificent food. Their signature desert is a scale model of The Brooklyn Bridge, made entirely of chocolate. Unbelievable!

My sister used to live not far from there in Park Slope, Brooklyn. While she's now moved to Delaware, she's chosen the River Cafe for a rehearsal dinner for her daughter, our niece, before her wedding next January. I can't wait!

See the menu and photo gallery at the restaurant website at http://www.rivercafe.com/

Taltarzac
08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Have not been to that many places outside of the US, but, so far, the view from the Cliff House in San Francisco is probably my most memorable dining experience. http://www.cliffhouse.com/history/history.htm http://www.cliffhouse.com/ The food is good too but it is the view of the ocean which really comes to mind.

Another neat experience dining was on a train in the Stillwater area of Minnesota. This is the Zephyr Dinner Train http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/263493/top_rated_restaurants_in_stillwater.html http://www.onthelake.net/excursions/stillwater.htm.

Checked links August 31, 2008.

Avista
08-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Our dinners on the Queen Mary 2.

MMC24
08-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Kahuna:

I too have had a couple of great business dinners @ River Cafe and would agree the food is awesome and the view is over the top. Thank goodness for expense accounts. Everyone that complains about the high restaurants prices in TV should eat there once and they would never complain again!!
Food, service and view is well worth the price. Never had the Brooklyn Bridge desert but saw it being served @ the next table. It looked decadent and an answer to a chocoholics prayer.

:clap2:

F16 1UB
08-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Prarie Schooner in Ogden Utah. Best dahm steaks anywhere.

Steve

ripwho
08-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Osh - if you've been hanging in Bklyn, you must have stopped in 'Peter Lugars Steakhouse' under the Williamsburg Bridge? Steaks are super and their home fires something to die for. PL also has a restuarant in Great Neck Queens but the Bklyn location is the 'original' - wood planked tables, turn of the century interior, and 'scruffy' old waiters who will tell you what you're gonna eat (steak, fries, creamed spinach)...

bwesley99
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
If I had to pick just one, it would have to be The Sardine Factory - in Monterey California. Fantastic food and amazing service - great wine list in all price ranges.

Citadel
08-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Well, I've always said that my favorite place is Bob Chinn's Crab House in Wheeling, Illinois. We've gone there for many years. It's a little ways away since it's up north and we're now a lot further south. But so well worth the trip. I've always ordered the Louisiana Blue Crab Claws - but one day when they were out, I had to make another choice - and now I'm hooked! Kona Crab does it. Thin shells, sweet meat. Ahhhh - heaven.

For those who aren't into the best fresh seafood in the country, try their other delights. There is no bad choice here. Trust me. Take a look at this menu! Wish they'd come to The Villages! www.bobchinns.com - they do ship orders, I'm lookin' into that for when I'm in TV this winter!

While the prices are a tad pricey, the food is always fresh and the bills of lading are posted at the front door if you'ld like to check. And despite the many attemps at knock off competition, just like Elvis; Bob Chins remains the King! The food is very good for the type of volume that this place has. I'm told that it is one of the highest grossing restaurants in the Midwest if not the whole USA.

SteveFromNY
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
My all time favorite meal was at La Mer in the Halekalani Hotel in Waikiki. Great view of the Pacific from our window-side table, the best food I've ever had, and service better than I'd ever imagined. They actually called us by name! As in "Mr A..., with your tuna I'd recommend the 1989 Pinot Grigiot" or something like that. Dessert for my wife was a cake of some sort with a chochalate net above it. They took a bowl, drizzled some kind of "Magic Shell" over it, removed the bowl, and what was left was an edible chocholate net covering the plate! It was great!
I've eaten in Peter Luger's, the River Cafe and the California Grille (all mentioned above) and agree all will provide a memorable meal. My wife ordered steak well done in Luger's and the waiter summarized our order as: "So that will be 3 orders of steak and one of shoe leather". Talk about a New York attitude. My favorite NY Steak house though is Frankie & Johnnie's on Broadway around 48th st in the theater district.

bogeygolfer
09-02-2007, 04:31 PM
The 'Weather Vane" restaurant in Kittery, Maine, for seafood and Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. :#1:

kennyb
09-03-2007, 09:18 AM
For breakfast, there are two that come to my mind instantly.
1) Lou Mitchell's in downtown Chicago....
2) Walker Brothers in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

For lunch, nothing can beat a good old fashioned Chicago style hot dog....usually at one of the train stations in Chicago.

For dinner, and I've had some very good meals all over the country, but I find Lopez here in TV as having the best food and service.

Irish Rover
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I have two favorites. The first is the Potted Steer at Lake of the Ozarks and the second is Joe's Stone Crab at Miami Beach. However I do agree with several of the entries above, especially Skyline Chili in Cincinnati.

Irish Rover
09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
KennyB have you ever eaten at Retro Bistro in Schaumburg?

chuckinca
09-03-2007, 11:33 AM
John Ash - Santa Rosa, CA

http://www.vintnersinn.com/dining/johnash.asp

kennyb
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Irish Rover, I can't say that I've had the pleasure of eating there.
Where is it located?

Taltarzac
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
John Ash - Santa Rosa, CA

http://www.vintnersinn.com/dining/johnash.asp

I may have eaten here at John Ash. How long has this been open? We moved from the Santa Rosa area in 1995 to Palm Harbor and then to the Villages in 2005. I remember a fancy restuarant that we sometimes went in this area of Santa Rosa but cannot recall that much more about it. The food was good. Maybe, this is a different place? We have not been back to that area since 1995.

chuckinca
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't know how long is has been open - first started going there about 5 years ago. It is off of River Road right next to 101; in a vineyard - no other businesses in the area.

Taltarzac
09-04-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't know how long is has been open - first started going there about 5 years ago. It is off of River Road right next to 101; in a vineyard - no other businesses in the area.

Thank for the reply. I think the place we went to was on the northeastern side of Santa Rosa.

LG
09-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Santa Cruz Califonria, on the warf.. Mom and Pop place serving SHARK VERA CRUZ .... Gilled Shark on a bed of Black beans and rice with melted cheese on top.. Just want to grind it up and inject it into your arm WOW.... :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Mike
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
The Bronx, NY has it's own Little Italy -- Arthur Avenue. There is a place there with no menus, no credit cards, and you get seated at formica tables with other people. The waiter kind of tells you what you want and it is always fantastic. Stuffed peppers the size of cantaloupes. The bill is always a surprise but always reasonable. Just don't go when the Yankees have a home game -- it isn't far from the Stadium and between players and fans it could be mobbed.

chuckinca
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
There was an Italian restaurant in Metairie, LA (before Katrina) that was in a residential area, the place had no sign out front and looked like another house (i believe the place was connected), that had a house special called "Feed Me". After about three hours they had to put you in a wheel barrow and haul you to your car.

redwitch
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
For breakfast .. The Alta Mira in Sausalito, CA. The eggs benedict are to die for.

For lunch ... Elani's in Pleasant Hill, CA for gyros. A Greek couple owns it. They spoil you rotten and the gyros are the best ever!!!!

For dinner .. Le Meditteraine (sp) in Paris. I don't remember the pre-desert courses at all, but desert was a chocolate mousse in a nice, large cooled crock. It was too die for!

Whenever I entertained in the City, I always took groups of 6 or more to Cafe Sport in North Beach. Love the atmosphere and the food is soooo good.

nONIE
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
oUR VERY VERY FAVORITE IN THE WORLD IS "CORTESE" IN BINGHAMTON, N.Y.
BEST ITALIAN AND STEAKS EVER AND HUGE PORTIONS. A LONG TIME LANDMARK IN BINGHAMTON, ANYONE EVER BEEN THERE????? :#1:

nONIE
10-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Kennyb, :agree:

Ill definitely agree with you on the Chicago hot dog! Nothing like them ANYWHERE!

Sometimes I just long for a Chicago hotdog but its a little too far to go for one!

Donna
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Carnegie Deli..NYC :bigthumbsup:

Hyacinth Bucket
10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Nonie,

We have eaten in CORTESE. Agree it is good.

I think what I like the best - having coffee (good coffee) served to me in bed.

Hyacinth Bucket

Irish Rover
10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
KennyB - sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've had some trouble getting on this site. Retro Bistro is in Shaumburg. Terrific French bistro food and with the Nuevo Beaujolais coming out next month, they will have some special nights there. Very intimate and reasonably priced. Give it a go. :2cool:

Irish Rover
10-19-2007, 10:35 PM
One more to add to the list. Has anyone eaten at Jeff Ruby's Steak House in downtown Cincinnati? Great spot. :2cool:

The Great Fumar
11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Duke's in Waikiki is an Outstanding restarant and believe it or not so is the Elk's Club on Diamondhead st. However one of the very best is the Halekalani also in Waikiki and You can either buy a Rolex or go there and eat,...I chose the Rolex............

;D ;D ;D ;D :#1:

SteveZ
11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Any one of the hot dog vendors within Fenway Park, Camden Yards and PNC Park between the second and sixth innings....

jimmali
11-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Schwarz's Supper Club-- St. anna,WI. If you are a meat eater-you simply can walk to cooler and pick your steak. Size from about 8 oz. to about 3 pounds. Out in the middle of BFE. When you are close in --you wonder why 300 cars are all parked in the middle of nowhere. There is no other Steak house (with a wide menu for non-steak eaters) anywhere else I have ever been. Of course, I have only been past the fence at the edge of the farm a few times.

Russ_Boston
12-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Next time I'm crusing past St. Anna I'll be sure to give it a try. :joke:

Taltarzac
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
They are online. http://www.schwarzsupperclub.com/

Checked for working link August 31, 2008.

Russ_Boston
12-05-2007, 06:08 PM
TAL - Online is the only way I'll be anywhere near WI :joke:

l2ridehd
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
My kitchen. I have yet to find a restaurant that good. Many I like quite a bit but none as good as I cook. Several I like in Tuscany, Nero Vivo in Kuala Lumpur is excellent, there pumpkin ravioli in sage lemon butter is to die for, In Seal Beach CA, Walt’s Wharf caramelized Salmon and Patty’s place the rack of lamb. In Boston North end, many great Italian and also lots of good seafood places. In Vienna VA, Cafe Renaissance is the best, and in Farnham in the UK, Cafe Vienna is really good. In almost anyplace in the world you can find really good food. For great food, I stay home and cook

chelsea24
12-10-2007, 06:53 AM
My husband and I love to travel, so we've been to many of the restaurants you've named and loved them all. But the one that is head and shoulders above all for me is the Ocean Club on Paradise Island, Nassau. You sit outside in a long kind of courtyard, the ceiling is the stunning star filled sky over the Caribbean, the flickering candles make everything glow, the music is a live combo, soft lovely music, the long aqua reflecting pool adds to the romance. And as if that wasn't enough, the food is to die for. I truly believe it's the most perfect restaurant I've ever been to. Then slip off your shoes and go for a long romantic walk on the beach. Great for re-charging your marriage! lol. :beer3:

Taltarzac
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
TAL - Online is the only way I'll be anywhere near WI :joke:

I would think that Boston gets just as cold as Wisconsin? I might have been to that restaurant-- Schwarz's Supper Club-- if it had been open in the 1960s?

Did not travel around all that much when I lived in MN from mid-1986 through late 1991. Trips to some sights in WI with former native WI girlfriend but never got to Schwarz's Supper Club.

Russ_Boston
12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
TAL - I just meant that WI is not on my '100 places to visit before i die' list. No offense to WI natives :joke:

Taltarzac
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
TAL - I just meant that WI is not on my '100 places to visit before i die' list. No offense to WI natives :joke:

If I had not been born in Wisconsin, I do not think it would be on mine either. Only went to the U of MN Law School because I did well on the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) in 1982 (around the 90th percentile rank), but did not want to take it again when I applied to various law schools with a 4 year old LSAT score in 1986. I did like the blonde woman on the U of MN Law School catalog though.

Only a few law schools were taking scores that old-- 4 years-- so my choices were limited.

Had gone to BYU Law School in 1982 as a non-Mormon on a Scholarship but dropped out after ten days or so because I was rooming with recent convert to Mormonism who had targeted me as his next victory. You needed BYU approval for where you lived as they have or had a very strict code of personal conduct from BYU attendees that covered how people led their life.

I knew what I was getting into in 1982 but did not factor in the Puerto Rican dancer recent convert roommate nor the cross-hairs on my back from Mormon girls looking for Mr. Right Now in Law School at BYU. :joke:

Did not smoke, drink, etc. so that was not that much of a problem.

algi45
12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Bogey Golfer:
I've been to both of them and I agree that they're both good places. Weathervane is a regional chain--we always find one within reach when we spend time in northern New England.

redwitch
12-18-2007, 11:03 PM
My kitchen. I have yet to find a restaurant that good. Many I like quite a bit but none as good as I cook. Several I like in Tuscany, Nero Vivo in Kuala Lumpur is excellent, there pumpkin ravioli in sage lemon butter is to die for, In Seal Beach CA, Walt’s Wharf caramelized Salmon and Patty’s place the rack of lamb. In Boston North end, many great Italian and also lots of good seafood places. In Vienna VA, Cafe Renaissance is the best, and in Farnham in the UK, Cafe Vienna is really good. In almost anyplace in the world you can find really good food. For great food, I stay home and cook

And you're inviting us over to try your food when? (What can I say? I hate to cook but love to eat.)

SteveFromNY
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Duke's in Waikiki is an Outstanding restarant and believe it or not so is the Elk's Club on Diamondhead st. However one of the very best is the Halekalani also in Waikiki and You can either buy a Rolex or go there and eat,...I chose the Rolex............

;D ;D ;D ;D :#1:

The one in the Halekulani Hotel (its name is La Mer) is my favorite too, as I mentioned above... Regarding the prices, my children gave us a $250 gift card for the restaurant (our 25th anniversary), and I had to ADD $50 to the card to pay the check. It was just my wife and I, and we each had a reasonably priced 1/2 bottle of wine. But it was really worth it for the special occasion - you'll never forget it!

Here's a picture of the table we sat at (from their website)

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/37133/2112924270031661047S500x500Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2112924270031661047EbCbpk)

doug11
01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
The Angus Barn in Raleigh,N.C. (food, sevice)

Cuomo's in Niagra Falls (Italian)

l2ridehd
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
doug11..

Have to agree on both of those. Also the Oben Inn at Niagara on the Lake. But the Angus Barn its the wine list much more then the food. I had the wine cellar tour there, and it is impressive. Over 20,000 bottles when I was there and the food is also good, but its still just a really good steak house. Another one I like is Roy's at the Spanish Bay Inn in Monteray CA. Very unique and different food and great presentation.

renielarson
01-12-2008, 02:34 PM
[b]Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah, Georgia!

If you want some great authentic Southern cooking in a warm and friendly place (not fancy by any means), this is the place to go. It is located in the basement of an 1870s brick building and a little hard to find since they don't advertise much (don't need to). We arrived about an hour before opening and there was already a block long line waiting down the sidewalk. We were seated at open tables with others (a great way to meet new people). The food was brought out in bowls and on platters (no menus...everyone gets whatever is cooked that day) and we passed the food around the table as if we were at a big family gathering. When we were done, we took our dishes to the kitchen (wish I could get my own family to do that... ::)). This eatery is an experience, not just a meal!

Donna, :agree: Carnegie Deli in NYC has some of the best sandwiches. My 2nd choice for a terrific sandwich is the Central Grocery in New Orleans for the best Muffaletta! YUM!

GERALDINE
01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
MACARONI GRILL!!!! Too bad we don't have one anywheres near here.

cabo35
01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Squid Row in Islamorada, Florida. Fish during the day and catch grouper, yellowtail and mahi-mahi. Be sure to ice the fish down immediately. Then, take your catch to Squid Row where they will prepare your hours old catch. Choose Fried. Coconut Fried, St. Croix, Almondine, Blackened or Meuniere. We like to go with the crew and do some of each of the above. We give the chef more fish than we can eat and tell him to prepare what he feels will serve the crew and keep the rest. You will have wonderful meal you cannot finish. There is nothing like out of the ocean and into the kitchen seafood prepared by a chef who appreciates the catch.

Number 6
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
My favorite is the Three Birds Cafe on Market Street in Corning, NY. Let me not fail to mention the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans and the food at Frontier Field in Rochester, NY. It is the best ball park food by far.

jtdraig
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I can't believe someone posted Cortese's in Binghamton...one of my favorite places. I had to spend a LOT of time in Endicott/Binghamton in the early to mid-90's. Cortese's was one of my very favorite places...always a place to take someone else who had to go to Endicott.

nONIE
01-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't believe someone posted Cortese's in Binghamton...one of my favorite places. I had to spend a LOT of time in Endicott/Binghamton in the early to mid-90's. Cortese's was one of my very favorite places...always a place to take someone else who had to go to Endicott.

That would be me and its still every bit as good as it was in the 90's!The steak melanaise is to die for as well as all their other Italian dishes. Hope you get the opportunity to come this way again and enjoy Cortese's once again! wav

chuckinca
01-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Like eating lunch in heaven:

Outdoor terrace of the Cielo Restaurant at the Ventana Inn, Big Sur, CA

http://www.ventanainn.com/

beady
02-05-2008, 12:07 AM
My all time favorite is called Rainbow , on the island of St. Martin (french side)in the village of Grand Case. On the beach, the dining room has shutters that open to let the evening breeze in off the Caribbean Sea. Ambience, great wines, outstanding french cuisine, and exception service. All I have to do is close my eyes and I can smell the sea, the island and the food. It is a real dining experience :#1: :#1:

Mikitv
02-06-2008, 12:25 AM
:2cool: We have been lucky enough to travel to a lot of different countries and areas in this old world. Best brunch was the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong and dinner was the Seven Glaciers at Alyeaska in Anchorage Alaska.

richman
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
No brag -- My kitchen. Also, I have some of the finest wines. I just love being at home in my own kitchen and having a nice relaxing dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I love to go to fine restaurants, and I have been to many as well, but...

I don't like to eat at home though if it is a big group of people. Then I don't get to enjoy eating and socializing. Too much going on in the kitchen.

puttermai
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
My two favorite restaurants are Carlyle in Shirlington, VA and Chez Francois in McLean, VA. Both are consistently outstanding!! Inn at Little Washington, in Washingon, VA is an exceptional 5 star restaurant--but a bit of a drive from the DC area. Barbara Burkholder

JerryM
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I've been to so many restaurants in the U.S. (while travelling) that I can't choose a "best" unless I categorize them.

However, I rate Bern's Steak House in Tampa as one of my favorites.

JM

ouma1938
02-09-2008, 07:56 PM
The Firebird, a Russian restaurant on 47th Street (Restaurant Row) in Manhattan. Its to die for!

Muncle
02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Just about any Schnell Imbiss in Bavaria. I'd love some Curry Wurst or a few Nuernberger Rostbratwurt with some pommes frites. But a trip to Arthur Bryant's BBQ is probably more reasonable. Calvin Trillin in The New Yorker used to say that he's fly to Kansas City and the first thing he's do was drive to Bryant's for some Q, likely stopping at Winsteads on the way for a steakburger to tide him over. Calvin described Bryant's as the greatest restaurant in the world. He was right.

Taltarzac
02-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Just about any Schnell Imbiss in Bavaria. I'd love some Curry Wurst or a few Nuernberger Rostbratwurt with some pommes frites. But a trip to Arthur Bryant's BBQ is probably more reasonable. Calvin Trillin in The New Yorker used to say that he's fly to Kansas City and the first thing he's do was drive to Bryant's for some Q, likely stopping at Winsteads on the way for a steakburger to tide him over. Calvin described Bryant's as the greatest restaurant in the world. He was right.

Trying to find out what Schnell Imbiss was and netted this picture of a hamburger. That's huge. http://www.essenundtrinken-web.de/

Checked link August 31, 2008.

Muncle
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Trying to find out what Schnell Imbiss was and netted this picture of a hamburger. That's huge. http://www.essenundtrinken-web.de/

A schnell imbiss, or more commonly called just an imbiss, is a fast food joint in Germany. :hot: Some are in well-constructed buildings, but most are just shacks or even carts. It translates literally as "fast snack." They all serve wurst, the type depending on where you are in Germany. Some specialize in schnitzel, shashlick, or rotisserie chicken (Haenchen). And all come with broetchen, the most heavenly bun/roll imaginable. :2cool: And great senf (mustard). When I was there, the dollar was pretty strong (compared to now) and you could get a tremendous lunch for 2 -3 bucks. A halbes (half) haenchen, while the smallest chicken I'd ever seen, was about DM3, or $1.50 to $2.00. 040

These places could never exist in the US. The health department would have a fit, and very possibly, maybe, if you looked very carefully, this might not have been the most healthful food in the world. But damn it was good.

Unfortunately, it appears that many of these establishments are being replaced by generic McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, and asian and middle eastern fast food places. :yikes: C'est la vie.

rdkent
02-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Muncie:
You brought back great memories. There was an imbiss (cart kind) at the edge of town on the route back to the Kaserne in Bad Hersfeld. After a night out at the local bars would have the taxi stop, hop out and get a bratwurst mit broechen with mustard, hop back in and eat it in the cab. Didn't help the hangover, but tasted great.

Mintjulep
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Have been to and liked so many wonderful restaurants, it's hard to pick a favorite.
But agree with JerryM. One of my all time favorites is Berns Steakhouse in Tampa.
It goes beyond great food,,, a real dining experience.
You can take a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar, the largest restaurant wine cellar in the world.
And their dessert room is to die for...
Well worth the drive down. :bigthumbsup:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

redwitch
02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Muncle, gotta admit I love Arthur Bryant's. Since I have no plans to go there any time in the very near (or probably very far) future, I did order a case of Arthur Bryant bbq sauce online. YUMMMMMMMMMMM

kellyjam
03-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Manero's Steakhouse Greenwich Ct. Start with the Gorgonzola salad with garlic bread that drips with butter and oil. Follow that with the Chateaubriand for two smothered with mushrooms served with a baked potato and deep fried onion skins. Add desert and a carafe of house wine and tip and I was out the door just under $50. Of course that was the 80's. They even had a butcher shop attached where you could order cuts to take home.

My latest favorite is Rosemary's in Las Vegas. It as every bit as good as Le Francais in Wheeling IL was when Jean Banchet was running the joint. This is their website

http://www.rosemarysrestaurant.com/

I also wrote a review for the Rest. on tripadvisor.com where its rated the number 1 rest. in LV. If you care to read it here is the link.

http://las-vegas-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g45963-d422615-r8374342-Rosemary_s_Restaurant-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

marianne237
03-11-2008, 06:19 AM
What good memories of La Francaise in Wheeling, IL. Well worth the drive.

Rokinronda
03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Fumar, :bow: A ROLEX! Lucky you.......Well for a Timex price my favorite restaurant is Oceanview Chinese Restaurant in my beautiful hometown, Narragansett, RI. The food is gourmet Chinese. Hot and sour crispy pork, Pan fried noodle and three delight, Imperial Chicken. This hidden jewel has food very unlike any chinese. I would have over 1,000 timex watches, but would rather eat out. Also many years ago we had the best chateaubriand at Ivana's in the Trump hotel, Atlantic City. In the world????? been to Canada and Mexico........do you see europe in my future, GREAT FUMAR??? :bow:

chuckinca
03-12-2008, 03:14 AM
MACARONI GRILL!!!! Too bad we don't have one anywheres near here.

Isn't there one of those in the Orlando Airport?

SteveFromNY
03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes there is a Macaroni Grill in the Orland Airport. There's another in Lake Buena Vista off of I-4 on rte 535.
Good restaurant, although a little bit away from "Favorite in the World" in my mind". We have one near us up north, and the food's good, we eat there pretty regularly. In my opinion, it's like the Olive Garden, but much better. It's reasonably priced too - no Rolex needed to eat there.

ouma1938
03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I also have to list two. The Salmon House in Vancouver, Canada, and the Blue Gardenia in Johannesburg, South Africa. Sadly I think it has been closed for many years now, but still remains a favorite for me.

Rokinronda
03-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Today I'm missing fresh fried clams (whole belly!) Ipswich, preferably, in Mass. some clam cakes and some good fresh New England chowda!! Hmmm clams casino, too!!! :bow: bowing to the clam Gods!!

ocalasmith
03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
There was a place in the mid east where I used to go that made the best Dona Kabobs.
It was a little local place with just the best mid eastern food you could ever want.

But, locala=ly we like to go to Tampa to Sam Seltzers for a nice steak dinner and especcially their prime rib.

senior citizen
04-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Gosh.........this thread is from 2007 ?????
We haven't been all over the world, but one favorite from the 1960's where we'd go for date night was LUCHOWS in New York City.......don't even know if it is still there or not.

However, to two young teens, it was quite elegant and we loved the German food, the ambience, etc. We lived in New Jersey but would go to the movies and restaurants in New York City.

We've eaten in many great restaurants, but for a Florida one........the Italian restaurant in EPCOT.......when we were there, it was a branch of the one in Rome, Italy and I must say .....the food was perfect. Not sure if that is still there.

If anyone wants good Italian food and cannot find it locally, try EPCOT. You can dine in all the various "countries" without leaving the United States of America.

OnTrack
04-21-2013, 09:12 AM
:2cool: We have been lucky enough to travel to a lot of different countries and areas in this old world. Best brunch was the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong and dinner was the Seven Glaciers at Alyeaska in Anchorage Alaska.

Actually, Seven Glaciers Restaurant is about 30 miles south of Anchorage in the little ski town called Girdwood (home of Tommy Moe, 1994 Olympic gold medalist in the downhill and silver medalist in Super G).

I agree with you though, the food is superb and I challenge anyone to identify a restaurant with a more spectacular view. :thumbup:

2BNTV
04-21-2013, 10:03 AM
My favorite was a couple of Portugese restaurants in Newark, New Jersey.
One of them, I believe it was called Rocky and Rubelo's. We went there with the whole family and everyone ordered something different for the menu.

Start with Kale soup with Chourico, Broiled Chourico, clams made in a brandy sauce, Paella, Mariscada in a brandy sauce, Baccula made in sauce, rabbitt, steak rolled up like a brocciole. It was a feast to be washed down with wine.

For dessert, a flan pudding with expresso and Sambuca. To walk out feeling fully satisfied and all's right with the world.

Madelaine Amee
04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Have eaten in many great restaurants throughout the world - on business and thankfully on an expense account, but now we like Boston's North End for great Italian and Bar Harbor, Maine for eat in the rough fresh lobster ............... Sitting at an old picnic bench with twin lobsters and clam chowder, overlooking the ocean in Maine - that is hard to beat. We usually do it in early September, after Labor Day, when everyone has gone.

jebartle
04-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Roy's in Maui.....Yuuuum!

jblum315
04-21-2013, 10:47 AM
My favorite is Bonge,s Tavern about 25 miles NE of Indianapolis in Perkinsville IN. It is a destination restarant. Most of the time people are tailgating as they wait to get in. You tell the hostess what parking place you are in and they come and get you. They allow you to bring your own cooler and snacks for while you are waiting. I have been there on a Saturday night at 5:45 and the parking lot is full and they are done taking names as they are full for the night. I have waited (party-ed) for over 2 hours to get in. Take a look!!! http://www.bongestavern.com/

Wow, that sure sounds like fun! Do they also have good food?

Yorio
04-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I am still looking for one just like chasing for Mr. Right. However, if you ask me what would be the last dish I would like to eat before you know what, then it would definitely be abalone steak. It has to be about the size of a filet mignon but half deep, juicy and tender, not hard and let me do the cutting. Any restaurant that might offer this delicacy?

Happinow
04-21-2013, 11:43 AM
I like Ruth's Chris steakhouse. Went there in North Carolina and the meal was wonderful. Also like the lasagna at Carmine's in NYC. Haven't traveled outside of the US much so can't comment on the great food offered in other countries.

sjdjmd
04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Toooo many to list...but...for down home cooking, Lambert's.
Other places, The Wichita Club and the Ranch at Keystone, CO

PammyJ
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Makoto Japanese Steak House, Melbourne and Shorty's Barbq in Miami

Parker
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
El Torito in Marina Del Rey, Calif. Best mexican food ever, with fresh guacamole made at your table and made to your specification. Unbelievable staff, beautiful marina views. Just perfect.

OnTrack
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
For an informal lunch.....The Crab Cooker of Newport Beach, CA.

For dinner, Wagyu beef skirt steak and lobster at Tom Collichio's Craftsteak.....at the MGM in Vegas.

sharonga
04-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Mastoris Diner in Bordentown New Jersey.

eweissenbach
04-21-2013, 02:34 PM
My new favorite: Narcoosee's at the Floridian Resort Disneyworld.

Mikeod
04-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Wherever my son is executive chef. Great food, and parents don't have to pay. :a040:

lovsthosebigdogs
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Mastoris Diner in Bordentown New Jersey.

The rolls at Mastori's are wonderful, no denying that.
Donna, Carnegie Delie love the corned beef, brightspot01, I used to love the Muffalettas there but last time we were there they were so skimpy on the olive salad that they really let me down. The line was waay down the street, premade sandwiches and not done as well as usual. Not sure if I'm giving them another chance or they have lost their touch.
Rokinronda, I soo agree with you! would drive hours or plan a vacation around good, REAL Ipswich (belly) clams. LOVE them so much they could be my last meal on earth.
For an all around restaurant I would have to go with Mr.B's in New Orleans. Everything we have ever had there has been fantastic (also good bread). Fantastic soup (eggplant parm, turtle, gumbo ya ya, seafood gumbo), barbequed shrimp, white chocolate brownie, bread pudding. Yikes, this thread is making me so hungry I can't stand it.

l2ridehd
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
To many to list and a lot depends on the type of food. Like Ray's Boathouse in Seattle for Seafood is tough to beat. Bern's Steak House in Tampa is great for Steaks. For overall general dining my favorite is Cafe Renaissance in Vienna VA. Outside the US, there a couple local places in Tuscany that are to die for food, Nero Nuvo in Kuala Lumpur is tough to beat. And for my last meal, sitting at a any one of many side walk cafe's on the Champs Elysees having a great meal and people watching.

gocubsgo
04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Maggiano's..Downtown Chicago. Italian food that I would give up military secrets for (if I knew any!!) Afterwards a 10 layer chocolate cake. Oh Lord!!

John_W
04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/img/order_crabcake.png

Box Hill Crab Cakes & Pizza (http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/) in Abingdon, Maryland. It's about a mile west of I-95 at the Route 24 Bel Air Exit, that's about 13 miles before the Baltimore Beltway going south. They have the best cheese steaks anywhere, the best crab cakes in Maryland and very good pizza. The place is a goldmine, it's dining room only holds about 100 people and it's packed for lunch and dinner everyday. I lived from 1998 to 2011 about two blocks away, so I miss that place alot.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6194/6082408589_af4f809cb2_n.jpg

capecodbob
04-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Best meals:
Alaska trip with freshly caught salmon cooked over alder wood with a basing of brown sugar, lemon, and butter. WOW!

Patty's Plantation in the SW corner of Kentucky. Best pork chop ever!

Had a great steak at Ruth Crist's in PA.

Breakfast has to be the Red Cottage in Dennis (Cape Cod), MA
and the Black Dog on Nantucket.

OpusX1
04-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys. Spectacular view, our table was on the beach, wonderful presentation, service is great, same wait person from the time you get off the boat, followed us from the bar, to our meal table to our desert around the fire pit. We have been twice, the food has been awesome.

BarryRX
04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
The Bronx, NY has it's own Little Italy -- Arthur Avenue. There is a place there with no menus, no credit cards, and you get seated at formica tables with other people. The waiter kind of tells you what you want and it is always fantastic. Stuffed peppers the size of cantaloupes. The bill is always a surprise but always reasonable. Just don't go when the Yankees have a home game -- it isn't far from the Stadium and between players and fans it could be mobbed.
I remember the first time someone took me to Arthur Ave. All around were areas of the Bronx that looked very dangerous, but Arthur Ave was an oasis of peace. I wonder why? Great places for great Italian food.

chuckinca
04-21-2013, 06:47 PM
At the Cedar Key Art Fest last spring the local Lions Club was selling food in the city park overlooking the Gulf. The Crab Boil was served in a fish net and outstanding and only $7.

DougB
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Shorty's in Miami.

Bay Kid
04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Indian Creek Yacht and Country Club, Kilmarnock, VA. Chesapeake Bay

Mack184
04-21-2013, 07:38 PM
The Number-5. 33 South Washington Street in Binghamton, NY.

striveforhealth
04-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Can't pick just one. Locally (until we move to TV next year) White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, ME. Beautiful setting, fabulous service & food and you feel totally spoiled! In Europe - a great restaurant in Venice - don't recall the name, but amazing food and service. And lastly - had the great pleasure of dining at Paladar La Guarida in Havana, Cuba last summer. Our choral group traveled to Cuba - an amazing experience!

DDoug
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Skunk Hollow Tavern Hartland Corners Vermont The absolute best pizza ever and birch beer 25% alcohol

Aloha
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Well...There was a Greek chef who opened a restaurant in Lebanon, TN called Gondola House. He later sold it, but the new owners kept all the original dishes and recipes. It is still there today, just down the street from the first original Cracker Barrel...If you ever go to Lebanon, TN, just east of Nashville, stop in Gondola House. They make everything from scratch, fresh, great Italian and Greek food, best pizzas, Greek salads...

RETIREDSFW
04-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Parker's bbq, wilson, nc
no bbq taste like eastern nc bbq

TrudyM
04-25-2013, 04:42 PM
All time favorite I can't go to any more as I don't know a member it was the Pacific Club in Honolulu

Roy's is a chain but they all have different food as it varies by the chef and what is available fresh locally.
I like the one in Hawaii Kai better than the one in Waikiki for instance.
My husbands favorite restaurant is Ono Hawaiian on Kapahulu in Waikiki but it is a locals place for Hawaiian food and would probably scare you guys.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/8e/68/6b/ono-hawaiian-foods.jpg

Geewiz
04-25-2013, 05:18 PM
From the past....Acorn on Oak...The place was filled with Chicago luminaries. Alas, it's closed now, but yes, it did have the tremendously good Acorn Burger, perfectly seasoned ...deep char crust...and thick and juicy. This particular area of the Gold Coast was known for good burgers, what with Hamburger Hamlet right around the corner, and several other "joints" trying to make the claim.

But Acorn on Oak did have the best -- cooked to order, even a medium-rare if you desired. The fries were whole-cut and not greasy, and nothing was quite over-salted, but there was indeed plenty of sodium in everything, as if to induce you to enjoy an ice cold beer from the bar. In those days I could somehow eat a whole Acorn Burger and still have room for at least 2 beers in frosty mugs, but now I'm not quite sure how I fit it all in. :-)

Service was always good -- the place wasn't large (it was a small piano bar), but it did have its cast of characters. There were the media types from the Tribune and Sun Times, including one nationally-famous movie critic whom I spotted there on two occasions.

There were the legislators, but I think they were more sparse. Mostly it was the locals -- the folks who lived in this Gold Cost area, and a bunch of guys who lived on the Magnificent Mile would make the short walk down Lake Shore Drive and round the corner to stop in. It was the kind of place where you could spend several hours, arriving as early as mid-morning, when the place was often "open" a bit before its posted hours.

In the winter time, it was a nice, dark corner in which to hole up for the warmth of a drink or two, and some conversation. You didn't need to know anybody there to join the conversation; you just had to be not stupid. Chicago is a place where we love to give (and sometimes hear) opinions, and Acorn on Oak was a place where this would happen.

In the summer...off college...I drove for Yellow Taxi....and during the down time between the morning and afternoon madness...I would pull the cab over and get a burger to go. Thick and bloody...charred and tart...with intense season...garlic and rosemary and celery and then a quick single malt and a tune...The occasional tourist would walk in, and they would stand out from the locals, but the place loved it -- A on O had gained a secret-clubbish cult following and the word was out about the burgers, especially. So you might well see a suburban family, replete with a pair of teenagers, stopping in for a mid-afternoon lunch or early-supper amid a day of museums, biking, or whizzing to the top of the Hancock Tower. The place wasn't killer-expensive, although not cheap by any means, but reasonable enough, and just enough of a rare-find to justify dining here versus the many other options they had -- Acorn on Oak gave them something to talk about, and the feeling that they knew something about Chicago others didn't. And that's a feeling we all love, yes?

anarick
04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
My brother and I go fishing off of Key Largo with a guide. After a good day we bring the fish home and go to Hobo's. A restaurant in Key Largo that takes our fresh catch and cooks it for us. The service is great and very personal. The food is delicous especially when they use the peppercorn sauce. Can't wait to go again.

LndLocked
04-26-2013, 10:17 PM
The French Laundry - Napa area. Truly world class food and total dining experience. Beyond expensive and ya gotta know somebody to even get a reservation .... fortunately I knew somebody, that knew somebody.

Gary Danko - San Francisco. It is hard to be better than The French Laundry .... but Gary Danko's just might be.

Sierra Mar - Big Sur. Tucked into a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean it has a spectacular view and food to match!

I am sensing a distinct Bay area theme ... so I will switch gears.

Prejean's - Lafayette La. Horrible tacky tourist trap decor .... stellar cajun / creole food.

Smitty's Market - Lockhart Tx What smoked bbq is suppose to taste like .... brisket is so good it will make a grown man cry.

My Granny's pinto beans/with ham and fried corn bread .... old fashion heaven. I am getting close, got the beans&ham down and the corn bread is real real close.

OnTrack
04-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Prejean's - Lafayette La. Horrible tacky tourist trap decor .... stellar cajun / creole food.

I will second that. :thumbup:

Our server even gave us the menu for a souvenir.

While its food isn't in the same class, the Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette is also a neat place to check out.

The Great Fumar
04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
All time favorite I can't go to any more as I don't know a member it was the Pacific Club in Honolulu

Roy's is a chain but they all have different food as it varies by the chef and what is available fresh locally.
I like the one in Hawaii Kai better than the one in Waikiki for instance.
My husbands favorite restaurant is Ono Hawaiian on Kapahulu in Waikiki but it is a locals place for Hawaiian food and would probably scare you guys.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/8e/68/6b/ono-hawaiian-foods.jpg

Hey! I remember this place , it reminded me of a lunch place with no name on the north end of kawalo basin.....it had a cotton ball on the front screen door and I can tell you for a fact that it didn't do any good.........
If I want mahi mahi I go to Wailana coffee shop ......and anything else its hard to beat the elks lodge on north Kaulakaua...( foot of diamond head)
If you want a good meal cheap then go to the spaghetti factory at Wards warehouse......The to best restaurants used to be the Tahitian lanai and the old Halekalani (house without a key) but there gone now and Waikiki lost a lot of flavor .....oh and don't forget CAN'LIS ............
ALOHA FUMAR

CHIEFSAL
04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
:mmmm:My favorite place is Carmine's on 44th St. in NYC (The Theater District).

GatorFan
04-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Thornbury Castle in Bristol, England

FloridaShrimp
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
We talk lots here about local restaurants. What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?
Mine happens to be an Armenian restaurant in Moscow. I have been there on numerous occasions and am always impressed with the food, atmosphere and culture. I have been in the kitchen and there are at least 15 people, from Grandma and Grandpa to grand son and everybody in between.

How about your favorite restaurant memory!

Close to the top is a restaurant named "Salt" in Stockholm. I had duck with ligonberry sauce that was superb. My husband, the carnivore, had reindeer. First Bambi, then Babe and now Rudolph. But, I guess I did eat Donald Duck, oh well.

Billyg
05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
555 and Hugo's restaurants in Portland, Maine