PDA

View Full Version : Rodriguez = A-rod = perfect example of $$$ talks

billethkid
08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
the man should be banned from the sport as what he did/does/is doing is much, much worse than Pete Rose.

However, this time it is the Yankees with a multi million so called star player that brings in $$$$....added the evolution since Rose of the ever increasing, ever tolerant of permissiveness in America.....and we have another celebrity proven to be doing wrong and living life as large as ever.....like all those who are not guilty of wrong doing.

He needs to be banned from baseball forever.

America needs to wake up and clean up it's act and show the coming generations it does not approve of wrong doing.....if it isn't too late.

btk

redwitch
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Totally agree, but I've been anti-steroids and performance enhancing drugs, blood doping, etc. for a long, long time (and can remember being told more than once that it isn't a big deal -- "everyone does it"). I love the game of baseball. Always have. I can't watch a game any more -- too many obviously using roids. Sports in general needs to clean up its act and baseball should take the lead. By allowing A-Rod to continue playing it sets a very bad example and a very bad taste in my mouth.

Bucco
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=billethkid;720154]the man should be banned from the sport as what he did/does/is doing is much, much worse than Pete Rose.

However, this time it is the Yankees with a multi million so called star player that brings in $$$$....added the evolution since Rose of the ever increasing, ever tolerant of permissiveness in America.....and we have another celebrity proven to be doing wrong and living life as large as ever.....like all those who are not guilty of wrong doing.

He needs to be banned from baseball forever.

America needs to wake up and clean up it's act and show the coming generations it does not approve of wrong doing.....if it isn't too late.
__________________________________________________ ________

I agree with you on this...I am a HUGE baseball fan and am sick of the ARod stuff.

It appears that the commish risks some serious problems with the union, who has actually been of assistance thus far with this crap.....if he bans him for life and uses the phrase in the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement), he risks having to bring the union in to fight him and that is the only way to keep him off the field.

If he does it the way it appears he will do it, ARod can play while he appeals.

The entire thing makes me sick, and having the Extra Innings package, I usually watch baseball in the evening and oft times the Yankees, but will not watch until he is gone. Hearing folks cheering him and watching teamamates acting friendly is just too much. I am waiting till he is gone and maybe those teammates will open up and be honest. Tough for them now !!

Bucco
08-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Totally agree, but I've been anti-steroids and performance enhancing drugs, blood doping, etc. for a long, long time (and can remember being told more than once that it isn't a big deal -- "everyone does it"). I love the game of baseball. Always have. I can't watch a game any more -- too many obviously using roids. Sports in general needs to clean up its act and baseball should take the lead. By allowing A-Rod to continue playing it sets a very bad example and a very bad taste in my mouth.

It appears that in the long run, using the drug language might be smart. If he uses the language from the contract to keep him off the field, it could have long term consequences with the union.

I suppose patience is the key......this ARod guy is about the most clueless phoney I have seen in a long time.

skip0358
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree also. I think a clause should be put in EVERY sports contract stating that ANY involvement with drugs of ANY type will cancel their contract with no additional monies due them. It doesn't seem to stop and they're stars that younger people look up to. Now it's even starting in school sports, enough. A Rod should be finished period.

Bonny
08-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I totally agree. Play the game, but if you get caught cheating.... GOOD-BYE !!!

gpirate
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I agree completely and I think pro sports in general needs to clean up their act. IMO it would only take once or twice banning someone for life and you would see roids ending.

ajbrown
08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I forget what show I was watching and they were talking about the steroid issue and the effect to the hall of fame and various records.

One of the opinions was in addition to the suspension, simply zero out their achievements. When Mr. Rodriquez comes back in 2015 he will be looking to hit his first home run. His career will be evaluated from that point on....

I have no idea if that is feasible, but it was interesting to hear them debate the idea.

PS. As a Red Sox fan, I hope Mr. Rodriquez with that sweet contract is NOT banned for life :thumbup:

blueash
08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I am not an A-Rod fan. I am a Yankee fan and would love to see the Yankees be able to void his contract and use those dollars elsewhere. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Yankees getting their way. They want him gone also. It has to do with law and following the law. All the posts about A-Rod cheating.. I think he is likely cheated... he has admitted to doping when he was with the Rangers, but never has had a positive test since baseball ruled PEDs illegal. He did test positive in 2003 when use of steroids was allowed. So here is a person who maximized his potential with legal products when they were legal and has never tested positive since. He asserts his innocence and insists that he be allowed to play while the investigation and subsequent legal process plays out. His guilt needs to established according to the rules of baseball as negotiated with the players union. If they don't have enough evidence then he walks, or strikes out. That's our system whether it is A-Rod or Zimmerman. A presumption of innocence.

BarryRX
08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Lets leave the Yankees out of this. They would like nothing better than to drop this expensive, egotistical flop.

ugotme
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I am not an A-Rod fan. I am a Yankee fan and would love to see the Yankees be able to void his contract and use those dollars elsewhere. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Yankees getting their way. They want him gone also. It has to do with law and following the law. All the posts about A-Rod cheating.. I think he is likely cheated... he has admitted to doping when he was with the Rangers, but never has had a positive test since baseball ruled PEDs illegal. He did test positive in 2003 when use of steroids was allowed. So here is a person who maximized his potential with legal products when they were legal and has never tested positive since. He asserts his innocence and insists that he be allowed to play while the investigation and subsequent legal process plays out. His guilt needs to established according to the rules of baseball as negotiated with the players union. If they don't have enough evidence then he walks, or strikes out. That's our system whether it is A-Rod or Zimmerman. A presumption of innocence.

I believe you are correct.

As a die-hard Yankee fan, I truly believe they had nothing to do with his being allowed to play. THEY DON'T WANT HIM!

It is in their best interests to be able to void his contract.

redwitch
08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I was an As fan for a long time -- loved how this team could win with low salaries and rowdy players. At least Strawberry's cocaine addiction didn't enhance his performance. Then along came the Bash Brothers (Conseco and McGwire if you've forgotten). It was so obvious they were on roids it was pathetic. No punishment, just adulation. Heck, Mac got rookie of the year even though he couldn't field a ball or even catch one that was above his head. All either of them could ever do was hit. They were not ballplayers and they did not need to be -- home runs were enough for the fans. Never liked the As after that.

Steroids, blood doping and other performance enhancements have tarnished most sports today. Here's hoping all sports clean up their act, that athletes begin showing some good values and morals, that fans start putting their foot down and quit idolizing these cheats. We need better examples for our kids and grandkids to follow and admire.

I am not a Pats fan. Never have been, never will be but do admire Brady. He's always been a class act and I doubt he uses roids. While I'm not a Tebow fan, I do wish more would follow his example.

foxmeadow
08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
After listening to this arrogant, egotistical jerk, I wonder how he could possibly have obtained a contract worth $25 mil/yr. He's doing his damnest to portray himself as a victim. I hope he goes broke paying for lawyers in fighting a losing battle against MLB. Professional athletes absolutely need to be held accountable for their actions, regardless whether they make $25 mil or $500K. The fans and corporate sponsors must insist on nothing less.
Alex, you should hook back up with Maddona and just fade away. Others accepted they were wrong and took their medicine like men with heartfelt apologies to their owners, fans and fellow teammates. You are deserving of a LIFETIME ban; nothing less!!

BarryRX
08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I must admit that I got a little suspicious of A-Rod when he won the Tour De France for the second time!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Every sport needs to adopt the same policy. For the first offense the player is suspended without pay for one half a season. For a second offense the player is banned from playing professional sports for life.

That would end it. No exceptions, not excuses no union bargaining. You put that in the contract of every professional athlete and the problem would disappear very soon.

John_W
08-06-2013, 04:27 PM

As a die-hard Yankee fan, I truly believe they had nothing to do with his being allowed to play. THEY DON'T WANT HIM!

You got your cake, now you have to eat it. Unlike the NFL, Major League Baseball guarantees players contracts, but what is really killing baseball is no real salary cap. Sure, the Yankees would love to dump A-Roid's contract and save $90 million, OK let's do that. Then have the Yankees have a $125 million salary cap along with every other team as well. It works in football, every year teams can go from worse to first.

Unless MLB realizes that there are other cities besides those in New York and Boston, they will continue to lose fans. I am so happy that my Orioles and Tampa Bay are hanging in there along with Cleveland, Pittsburgh and a few others.

/

DougB
08-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Hey, they agreed to pay him 170,000 a game.

Bucco
12-28-2013, 10:25 AM
We are getting relatively close to the end of at least one chapter of the ARod soap opera, as we will hear the arbitrator sometime in January.

As a Yankee fan, and someone who subscribes to Extra Innings so that I never have to miss a game, would like to get opinions on what might come down.

I have not tuned in the Yankee's since the first game he played coming back, and have heard at least one national sports writer (I think it was Buster Olney) say he thinks the Yankees will buy out his contract when all the legalities are over...not sure that is going to happen, but the decision from the arbitrator comes down to...

1. 211 games or one maybe of the below

2. 162 games
3. 100 games
4. 50 games
5. 0 games

Wondering what folks are thinking.....I see 100 games and hope the rumors are true about buying him out.

bluedog103
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Lets leave the Yankees out of this. They would like nothing better than to drop this expensive, egotistical flop.

:agree:

Too bad an intelligent thread quickly turns into the same old, tired, Yankees bashing.:sigh:

onslowe
12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I agree. As a kid I was Dodger fan and since 1962 I have been a Mets fan. No, I don't care for the Yankees but bashing them is way off base on this issue.

If a player in any sport has an alcohol or addictive drug problem, then he or she has a sickness - mental, spiritual and physical. They need help, but they must pay the consequences for their shortcomings or wrongdoings. It's an explanation to be considered, not a 'free ticket' nor excuse.

A-Rod, and others, have by substantial evidence, committed their own wrongdoing. But, in their case, it's not substance abuse, it is rather plain cheating, getting a leg up on all the 'suckers' playing the game straight. All the contorted legal arguments about contract language seem secondary here. It's first and foremost about choosing to 'enhance performance' it's about cheating.

Let's think of the cultural lessons being learned here. Remember "Say it isn't so, Joe!" ?

Basic questions have to be asked and answered by MLB.