PDA

View Full Version : Would you "sign" an internet petition?

Villages PL
08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
For the last couple of days I have been hearing about an internet petition. It has been advertised repeatedly. I would like to "sign" it but have been restraining myself.

The problem: There's no assurance that they won't use my email address for soliciting donations. And there's no assurance they won't sell or trade it. My good name could be passed around and I could be a target for solicitors everywhere.

What do you think. Am I right?

borjo
08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
From what I heard, you are right. I don't add my name to any of them. It could be spam, they could sell it, usually not enough info. to be effective for the petition anyway. Means nothing to me. Rest easy.

Indydealmaker
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Why the concern about spam? I get over 100 per day and they all go into the junk mail file. No harm no foul.

MikeV
08-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I have created a secondary email address for such purposes. I check it periodically and delete all the mail in it since anything I really want is in my main email account.

shcisamax
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I have signed several online petitions through Change.org or other reputable organizations which send your opinion to the lawmakers at the state and federal level. I have not received any spam affiliated with the online petitions I have signed.

Bucco
08-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I have signed several online petitions through Change.org or other reputable organizations which send your opinion to the lawmakers at the state and federal level. I have not received any spam affiliated with the online petitions I have signed.

Good for you, but be aware that CHANGE.ORG is NOT a non profit cause, and are paid by organizations to sponsor their petitions.

Have had a lot of criticism for not being open about that and glad to hear some do not wind up on a list.

shcisamax
08-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Good point!!!!

blueash
08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Good for you, but be aware that CHANGE.ORG is NOT a non profit cause, and are paid by organizations to sponsor their petitions.

Have had a lot of criticism for not being open about that and glad to hear some do not wind up on a list.

I don't see how you can be any more open about the issue you claim they are criticized regarding than this:
http://www.change.org/about/business-model

Our commitment to users

Our goal is to make sponsored petitions on Change.org a service to both our users and our advertisers.

For our advertisers, most of whom are non-profit organizations, sponsored petitions offer a way to advance their causes and connect with new supporters who care about the issues they work on.

The website has lengthy details about their business plan, advertising rules, and no spamming requirements etc.

Bucco
08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't see how you can be any more open about the issue you claim they are criticized regarding than this:
http://www.change.org/about/business-model

Our commitment to users

Our goal is to make sponsored petitions on Change.org a service to both our users and our advertisers.

For our advertisers, most of whom are non-profit organizations, sponsored petitions offer a way to advance their causes and connect with new supporters who care about the issues they work on.

The website has lengthy details about their business plan, advertising rules, and no spamming requirements etc.

Good !

zcaveman
08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I have a couple of sites where I sign internet petitions. There are also sites that send letters to the President and senate and house reps. I sign those and am able to add comments. I actually get replies from some if them.

Never had a problem.

Z

Villages PL
08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a couple of sites where I sign internet petitions. There are also sites that send letters to the President and senate and house reps. I sign those and am able to add comments. I actually get replies from some if them.

Never had a problem.

Z

Thanks. Well, that's encouraging! I might give it a try.