PDA

View Full Version : Thai Ruby restaurant

Talk Host
05-13-2007, 05:45 AM
My wife and I joined some friends for dinner Friday night at Thai Ruby in Sumter Landing. The experience was very pleasant. The atmosphere is wonderful. The service was great. The food was served in a timely fashion and it was good (If you like Thai food...and I do) Best of all............................................... ....THEY TAKE RESERVATIONS. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lil Dancer
05-13-2007, 11:31 AM
It's been our favorite restaurant in The villages. We especially like the decor and its quieter than most of the other restaurants in town. And the food is excellent, and very nicely presented. They will vary the hotness of any dishes to taste if you ask.

REDCART
05-14-2007, 11:07 AM
We've only been to Thai Ruby on one occasion. We found it decent and the food acceptable but not so wonderful that we looked forward to another visit. We came away with the impression that the waitstaff was a bit unfriendly maybe they really didn't want to be there. Of course, they may not be comfortable with English and that may be part of the problem.

Since we've never been to Thailand or that part of the World, we can only judge the taste (and authenticity) of the food at Thai Ruby by the few Thai restaurants that we've been to in New York City--which may or may not be close to the real thing either. It's nice to have a variety of restaurants available in the Villages.

We also found their practice of including the service charge in the bill, and the fact that they don't publicize that fact somewhat deceitful; and that turned us off more than anything else. We refuse to accept their explanation that Villagers as a group are any less generouse with tips than people elsewhere. Hello! Maybe if the service was just a little more friendly, people would have responded more generously. Please don't misunderstand, the service was prompt and efficient but we didn't come away with the "warm & fuzzy" as they say.

JohnZ
05-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I've been to Thailand a couple of times...Hat Yai near the Malaysian border. The Thai fair in the U.S. doesn't compare for the most part. Some Thai restaurants I've been to in the U.S. come roughly close....and I mean roughly. What makes Thai food.....really Thai....is freshness.....esp. seafood. Restaurants in Sonkla, eastern Thailand....way down on the elephants trunk..... is crab lover's heaven... and the prawns are as big as a bananas. To expect authenticity with respect to Thai food in The Villages would be a stretching it a bit I think. I'll check-out Thai Ruby and let y'all know how it goes.

REDCART
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks JohnZ. We sometimes look for foreign food to be authentic, like it is in the native country of origin but then maybe it wouldn't appeal to our American tastes. So maybe we should be happy with just good food. If the food at Thai Ruby tastes good, and it did, maybe that's enough. OK so it didn't taste like a handful of other Thai restaurants 1200 miles away. The same could probably be said about Mexican and Chinese. I'll have to stop comparing restaurants and just taste the food. Anyone else find themselves doing that?

Carla
05-19-2007, 07:28 AM
We love Thai Ruby but were surprised to notice that the gratuity is already added to the bill when you get it.

swrinfla
05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
As a result of a recommendation made elsewhere in TOTV, seven of us had a delightful dinner at Thai Ruby Thursday night (the 17th). The selection was made primarily to accommodate my daughter's Significant Other, a strict, strict vegetarian who had indicated that Thai food was usually acceptable to him. I was delighted to see before we went that they include the tip in the final bill. Highly unusual, and hard on the pocketbook if you don't pay attention! The bill showed a hand-written "gratuity" item, slightly hard to decipher as most hand-writing is, but since I was looking for it . . .
My vegetarian guest was most pleased with his options and with his selection!
Steve

sparky
05-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Why do they add a gratuity to the bill???? >:(I thought gratuity was for service. :dontknow:

I have no problem tipping 20% and occaisionally more if the service is very good or exceptional. I also have no problem leaving two cents on the table when the service is terrible. Only had to do it once in The Villages in 5 years but I made sure the server got my point. Didn't want him to think I forgot to leave him a tip based on his outstanding service. I think he must be out standing somewhere else now because I haven't seen him in the Villages.

You work for a wage and you perform service for a tip! ;D

needleptdoc
05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I think it is a disgrace for a restaurant to put the tip on your bill. It is an insult, saying they don't trust us to tip them. If you notice they never look you straight in the eye. We paid cash and they gave us the wrong change. Trying to keep an extra dollar. I think they are not very reputable and I will tell everyone I know not to go there.

dandt
05-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Although not the case around here, we have certainly been to many restaurants where the tip/service charge is automatically figured in. I don't like it, but it certainly does not strike me as unusual -- except, granted, in The Villages.
A $1- error is a possibility too!
And not looking you straight in the eye is, in some cultures, a form of politeness, quite different from what we may be used to, but not necessarily a rudeness at all.

REDCART
05-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Maybe JohnZ could tell us whether adding a gratuity to the bill is the norm in Thailand, or whether Thai Ruby knows our customs only too well and has simply found a way to double their tip? Maybe they see one big Village with fat, wealthy Americans who are only too eager to part with their money? How can you open a business in another country and not bother to learn the local customs? Dandt may be more understanding. I think they know very well what they're doing! :verymad:

jjdees
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I've travelled quite a bit and the only time I've seen tips added to the bill is when a larger party is at the table, like 8 or more. To add a tip when there are only 2 or 3 people is pretty presumptious. I agree that they very well know what they're doing and most probably have a lot of double tippers. I wonder if they give the waiters the excess tips and I also wonder what they would do if you refused to pay it?

JohnZ
05-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Adding a gratuity to the bill is not the norm in Thailand. The service is excellent all over the country and they always remember you when you return....even a year later.....I don't know how they do this but they do. The Thai, in general, are very business savvy and they know all the tricks. They know full well what they are doing at Thai Ruby and they will continue to add a gratuity to the bill until they are certain that they have gone too far with that ploy. BTW, my wife and I had dinner there a couple of weeks ago....food was ok, portions could have been better for the price and service was average. The hand written bill was almost illegible and I recognized the "gratuity" add-on only from posts on this board.....thanks y'all Will I go back to Thai Ruby......probably. Will I mention the gratuity issue next time....probably.

nitehawk
05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
in many places throughout the world there is a service charge added to the restaurant bill = i alway thought this to be the tip = if the service was exceptional i would add a little more after all we are the rich americans who drive suvs and large caddies etc and live in the richest country in the world which has great retirement communities with golf courses and God forbid we should wait on tables and serve the rich americans who will spent thousands on gas hungry cars and leave a $2 per person tip this is from an ex-waiter

jjdees
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Nitehawk, what did that mean?

nitehawk
05-30-2007, 07:49 AM
it means that i think 20% tip is fine with me if i feel the service is not up to par then see the manager and do not go back only in fl can 8 people get 8 different checks

dandt
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Way to go, Nighthawk.

Despite what has been written here, I have had service charge added to my restaurant bill in Thailand, where I have visited rather frequently. It's amazing the fuss people make over what is such a pittance.

jjdees
05-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Last time I looked, this wasn't Thailand.

JohnZ
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
In some places in Thailand they add a gratuity....some places don't. In the cities and tourist destinations (Phu Ket and Bangkok etc.)...the practice is more common. Some of the other but nice places in Thailand (Son Kla and Hat Yai)...the practice is less common. Moral....study your bill.....and if you don't understand it....ask. As with all things in business....Caveat Emptor. Haven't we learned this by now?

sparky
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Please keep this blog open and let me know when Thai Ruby drops the tip add-on. Then I might try their food.
Now that most of our up-north friends have gone back home maybe a drop in business would help. ::)

I wonder if the Thai manager subscribes to this forum??? Might not be a bad idea if managers and owners of all the business's in the area view this forum. Just might help their business. ;D

Bobbie2836
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I cannot understand why having the gratuity already on the bill is such a big deal. I've found that the amount they put there is less than I would have left, and often I leave a little extra anyway.

If I got bad service and the gratuity was already there, I just wouldn't go back. Its that easy.

As far as the Thai food being authentic... since when do we really expect authentic foreign cuisine? If you can find a Mexican restaurant that has authentic Mexican food, you're probably in Mexico - and away from the border at that. The same goes for Chinese. Speaking of which, I sure wish there was a good Chinese restaurant around.... not 'buffet' though. "Chinese buffet" is like saying "Fine dining fast food".

Bobbie

REDCART
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I have two objections to the way Thai Ruby does business which I believe you'll agree may have merit. First, a tip is intended to motivate good service. Build in the tip, you remove the motivation.

Secondly, many of us feel that Thai Ruby could do a better job of publicising that the tip is included. Yes it's on the bill if you're able to decipher every item on the bill and it is posted, although inconspicuously, by the register. Many of us feel that Thai Ruby has discovered a way to legitimately take more money from unsuspecting Villagers. As an experiment, try leaving a substantial tip and see if anyone runs after you asking if you really intended to double your tip because a tip was included in the bill! Anyone want to take bets?

sparky
06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
gryoung, you are right on :bigthumbsup:

I recently used a gift card in a local restaraunt. The bill was $40 but I didn't have any cash so I laid a $20 on the ticket with the card. The waiter came back with my card,( I had a couple bucks left on it) and walked away. I called him back a few minutes later and asked him for my change for the tip. He pulled the $20 from his pocket and said he would be right back. He evidently assumed I was leaving a 50% tip but I don't think I look like a high roller.
When he brought my change he dropped four $5 dollar bills on the table and walked away. I should have left him 2 cents for his rudeness but I went against my own policy and left two five's, a lot more than he deserved.

Ah! The Villages, I love it, a new experience everyday.

redsrage
06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
THREE OF US HAD A VERY NICE MEAL THERE BUT LIKE A LOT OF YOU WE DID NOT KNOW OF THEIR PRACTICE OF ADDING A TIP TO THE TOTAL BILL UNTIL I READ IT HERE,SO WE LEFT A TIP. GOT SCREWED AGAIN BUT AT OUR AGE IT WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN AGAIN. I BELIEVE IN LEAVING A TIP APPROPIATE TO THE KIND OF SERVICE I GET. THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD SERVERS HERE AND I BELIEVE THEY ARE THE NORM BUT THERE ARE SOME WHO THINK THEY GET A TIP JUST FOR SHOWING UP AT YOUR TABLE SOONER OR LATER

Flash
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I have been in way too many restaurants where the service was clearly excellent not only at my table but surrounding tables and yet I have seen many who will tip (if at all) a shameful 5 or 10%. And this is for EXCELLENT service. In these situations, I end up leaving a bit more over my standard 20% (for good to excellent service) just because I feel so bad for the servers. They don't deserve this kind response. Far too many people tip poorly and they're only hurting themselves and the rest of us, because quality servers will cease to exist.

The last time we ate at Thai Ruby, it was 15% they added to the bill. I felt like we got a bargain since we would normally have tipped 20%. If the service is not to your liking, then this is a good time to talk with management and let them know of your dissatisfaction. You may not get your 15% back, but at lease management will be aware.

mike1946
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Re-Thai Ruby ..it's quite common in Europe to add the tip to the bill e.g. in France look fro "Service Compris" = included or "Service non-compris" = not included ..just watch what you are buying !!

dadspet
07-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Tried it and really like it a lot- would go back again. Didn't mind the tip put on the bill but would have been upset if I didn't happen to see the 8x10 sign on the front desk indicating that the tip would would be included on the bill.

CECE
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Frankly, I don't like the food here.....Maybe it is good for Thai but I don't care for it.....

jtdraig
07-15-2007, 10:40 PM
We have eaten at Thai Ruby several times and it's one of our favorites. The food is always excellent. I've been to Thailand a number of times and the wait staff there is respectful and humble..much as they are culturally. I was surprised that they added the 18% at first but then I decided that they were hurting themselves since I mostly tip 20% for good service. I have, in fact, added a bit to my bill for outstanding service.

Brandie
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Thai Ruby in Ocala on 200 is great. If you go order yum beef salad, satay chicken, chicken fried Rice. All medium if you like it spicey. also ask for a spice tray. Have them show you the fish sauce. It really brings the flavors out in the food!!
I do not think the Thai Ruby in the Villages are the same owners as the one in Ocala. they have never added gratuity on our bill.

jadebox
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Liked Thai Ruby but now we are going to the new one on 441 near Albertsons. Not fancy but good and reasonally priced food. We like beef and peppers which is not on the menu but they make it for us.

golfnut
11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Finally had a chance to try Thai Ruby, loved it.

villager99
11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
thai ruby gets my vote for atmosphere but siam orchid beats them for food. ample salads and out of this word peanut salad dressing.
i use go go gourmet alot and am pleased they now deliver from siam orchid.

cheech07
12-30-2007, 02:55 AM
My wife and I have been there. Food was very mediocre and we did not see the sign about the gratuity on the way in. The waiter may have been observing some Thai customs, but came across very cold and did not enhance the experience. Thankfully, we noticed the gratuity on the check and didn't leave anything extra. We personally don't think gratuities should be added automatically, especially for service for 2 people. We definitely would not have tipped our waiter more than 15%, so we felt cheated by the 18% we were forced to give.

punkpup
12-30-2007, 03:56 AM
We ate there last March and enjoyed it. I have to admit I don't remember anything about the gratuity.... maybe someone else paid lol.

cinepuxon
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Dinner at TR last week was pretty horrible. Phad Thai was covered with a sickly sweet sauce that tasted of burnt cardboard. Likewise the sweet & sour chicken was a fiasco. This is not at all like the food we were served last year - 2009. Won't be going back for a while.

twynsmom
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
My wife and I have been there. Food was very mediocre and we did not see the sign about the gratuity on the way in. The waiter may have been observing some Thai customs, but came across very cold and did not enhance the experience. Thankfully, we noticed the gratuity on the check and didn't leave anything extra. We personally don't think gratuities should be added automatically, especially for service for 2 people. We definitely would not have tipped our waiter more than 15%, so we felt cheated by the 18% we were forced to give.

We ate there last week and food was very good. As for the gratuity being included, there was a notice posted that stated "As of September 2009 (I believe that was the date) gratuity is no longer included". Someone must have "listened" to our complaints.. :clap2: