PDA

View Full Version : Pet cremation

shcisamax
08-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Does anyone have experience or a recommendation for reliable pet cremation?

graciegirl
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't like to read this.

Do you need me to come over?

JSR22
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have experience or a recommendation for reliable pet cremation?

Sandra I am so sorry to read your post. I highly recommend contacting Buffalo Ridge. They were very compassionate when we lost Zorro in June.
Jeanne

shcisamax
08-12-2013, 10:52 AM
No but thanks for the offer. We are coming to the end for Maggiebell...the "good" dog. :) Congestive heart failure. On drugs but she is failing. I think my husband just needed a few more days - by the end of the week. It stinks. I just want to get things lined up for the time. But thank you for offering Gracie. You're a pal.

Patty55
08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
I used Central Florida Cremations (307-2256), I think they were in Belleview. One of mine passed a few years ago at night, they came to the house to get him.

MikeV
08-12-2013, 12:00 PM
We had to put down our sweet 13 yo Maltese on 7/2/13. She was failing and in pain from Cushing Disease. We used Paws Animal Hospital in Laurel Manor. We did not use our vet because when we called to set the time and date they were very cold with a business as usual attitude. Paws was very understanding from the phone call to the end. We arrived and were led to a room with a high table covered with a plush blanket and pillow. The vets assistant came in and took Casey to another room to set up the IV. She came back and told us Casey would not cooperate so she asked to give her a sedative and we agreed. Once the sedative kicked in she got the IV line in. They gave us ample time to be with Casey and to say our teary goodbyes. They asked if we wanted to be there and we did. My wife held Casey while the drugs were administrated and in less than a minute Casey was peacefully gone. The Vet left the room and said we could take as long as we wanted to stay with Casey. They were very caring and professional. So you know it was $80 for the procedure and $195 for the cremation which included a very nice cedar box with Casey's name and a paw print on a ceramic disk with her name. This was the hardest thing we ever did.

zcaveman
08-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I used Sumter Cremation Services, Inc in Bushnell (352) 568-0223. But it was all done through Country Oaks Veterinary Clinic who put my Bartholomew to sleep.

Sorry for your loss.

Z

echo11
08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I too am sorry to read your post about Maggiebell. Even when you know it is time and the right thing to do, it is still very difficult to lose a special family member.

shcisamax
08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and informative posts. We now have a plan.

Trayderjoe
08-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I offer my sympathies as well for you and your husband at this difficult time.

zcaveman
08-12-2013, 07:57 PM
BTW: Country Oaks Veterinary Clinic has a mobile veterinary truck and they will come to your house to put your pet to sleep. We thought that was less stressful for both Bart and us.

Z

Buffalo Jim
08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Sad Thread -- brought tears to my eyes . Sorry about your loss .

Barefoot
08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and informative posts. We now have a plan.

Love and hugs to you.

lovsthosebigdogs
08-13-2013, 09:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this difficult time. It is never easy to live day to day knowing that the end is near. As people, we can do what we need to, in our love, to help our pets not suffer any more. We lost our beloved Mellow less than a year ago and we also lost our Harley Girl too. It's never easy no matter what is going on. My deepest sympathies to you during your struggle.

shcisamax
08-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Thank you all. We are actually having a more complicated time of it. Our other dog who is prone to seizures which are brought on by stress had four seizures last night and one this morning. We are adjusting medications per vet instructions but, as he has been seizure fee for months, we wonder if he is sensing Maggiebell's rapid downhill spiral. Yikes..this just is lousy.

Patty55
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
I think they know, they know something is wrong with their friend and they pick up on our feelings. I don't think they understand death though, whenever we go out she sees a dog that looks like him and freaks out barking until she smells the dog and then she's done. I think she thinks he was stolen.

My heart goes out to you, your husband and your other dog, it's never easy.

Barefoot
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Thank you all. We are actually having a more complicated time of it. Our other dog who is prone to seizures which are brought on by stress had four seizures last night and one this morning. We are adjusting medications per vet instructions but, as he has been seizure fee for months, we wonder if he is sensing Maggiebell's rapid downhill spiral. Yikes..this just is lousy.

It is a lousy time for you. If it's any consolation to you, please know that your TOTV family of fellow dog lovers is wishing you well during this tough time. Most of us have been through painful challenges with our pets. We do understand and hold you in our hearts.

When I had to have my 70 lb dog, Brutus, euthanized in 2010, I used a Mobile Vet, Angel Smith, 352-470-9537. Brutus was suffering with a brain tumor. I had to end his life, and my husband was working in Canada. I just couldn't emotionally handle taking him to a Vet's office. Angel was very compassionate and came to my home. I was able to lie on the floor and hold Brutus in my arms as he passed over.

CFrance
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I am so sorry about Maggiebell, and now her companion, who surely knows something is amiss. Our fur ball still races up to any male Rottie he sees, wagging furiously, thinking it's his best friend Sampson who died a year ago. I think it is the scent that's not the same and causes him to stop.

My heart goes out to you.

Patty55
08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
It is a lousy time for you. If it's any consolation to you, please know that your TOTV family of fellow dog lovers is wishing you well during this tough time. Most of us have been through painful challenges with our pets. We do understand and hold you in our hearts.

When I had to have my 70 lb dog, Brutus, euthanized in 2010, I used a Mobile Vet, Angel Smith, 352-470-9537. Brutus was suffering with a brain tumor. I had to end his life, and my husband was working in Canada. I just couldn't emotionally handle taking him to a Vet's office. Angel was very compassionate and came to my home. I was able to lie on the floor and hold Brutus in my arms as he passed over.

I just started using Dr. Angel Smith, Duffy'smom spoke so highly of her that I called her. My little girl is already 13, hopefully she has a few more good years but Dr. Smith and I already had "the talk".

When my other dog passed the vet I was using didn't believe in tranqing them before euthanizing, said it was "difficult". I was kind of new here and ready to start shopping for a new vet. As it turned out I didn't need to, he passed at home with me on the floor.

It's always hard, but I think it's even harder being away from professionals that you know. If I had been in NY when it happened I don't think I would have cremated him, but to me this place feels temporary.

CFrance
08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I might gently add that some pet crematoriums cremate in groups, at least in MI, and what you receive is actually a portion of the cremains, not necessarily only those of your pet. It is a higher price for a private cremation. Be sure what you are getting, if that is important to you.