PDA

View Full Version : Ocala Drive-In

bkcunningham1
08-16-2013, 06:26 PM
We are going to the drive-in tonight. The Ocala Drive-In is showing the first run movies Planes and a second show of The Heat. I couldn't tell you the last time I've been to the drive-in. I feel like a little kid.

Has anyone been to this drive-in or seen these movie? I'm looking forward to this.

TV Commerical » Ocala Drive In (http://ocaladrivein.info/2011/09/13/97/)

njbchbum
08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
can you get there by golf cart? oops! that's a different thread! LOL

bkcunningham1
08-16-2013, 06:39 PM
No golf cart. But we do have an air mattress in the back of our Tahoe. We laughed at ourselves putting it in there. We are planning on backing into our space. It could be romantic, but our 4 year old granddaughter and her parents are coming in their minivan. Fun was had by all.

justjim
08-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Best wife and I went to the Drive-in in Illinois last summer. We picked a night when it was relative cool and we had a great time. It brought back memories of when we were dating! We took our own drinks and refreshments. I didn't know about the Ocala Drive-in. Let us know---especially about the bugs!

patfla06
08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
WOW!
I haven't been to a drive-in since high school.
What fun!

BarryRX
08-17-2013, 05:24 AM
If I remember correctly, get the couple you're double dating with to hide in the trunk so you can get them in for free!:a20:

kittygilchrist
08-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Laughing Out Loud! BK you are a hoot! Who knew there was a drive in?
I hope you giggle and throw popcorn at each other...!
Kitty

bkcunningham1
08-17-2013, 07:41 AM
It was fun. The staff was beyond friendly and courteous. If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, we will go again.

The movie The Heat was hilarious. Lots of f-bombs and similar language, but it was laugh-out-loud funny. If profanity offends you, please, don't watch The Heat. Planes, on the other hand, was sweet, not cuss words and was really cute. Going to a double feature kept me up way past my bedtime, but it was worth it for the experience.

There were no bugs. The grass between the parking spaces needed to be cut so I was a little concerned when we first got there about insects and crawly things. They weren't a problem.

My husband said the men's bathroom needed some work but it is an old drive-in. Another thing that was noted by everyone but me was although you could see the screen perfectly; the drive-in experts with me said the movie was a little light on the screen. The colors weren't saturated enough. I don't know. It looked good to me. I had people to watch, a movie and snacks. I was good.

It cost $6 a head to get in to see a double feature. You can't beat that price in my opinion. There were quiet a few people in attendance after the movie started. We got there about 30 minutes early. The place started filling up after we got there and after we got situated on our air mattress. The night air started cooling off and it was quiet comfortable laying there with the hatch opened and the radio tuned to the proper channel watching the movies.

There was a bouncy house for the kids and there were so many kids there we couldn't let our granddaughter play. The other kids were having a blast though. The concession prices were reasonable.

bkcunningham1
08-17-2013, 08:05 AM
I didn't want to make this thread another campaign to save something. But, give this a look if you have a couple of free minutes: Project Drive-In | Honda (http://projectdrivein.com/)

The Ocala Drive-In is one of only 368 drive-ins left in America.

LI SNOWBIRD
08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
In the late 80's/early 90's I took my kids to a drive-in on LI as it was the last one there I knew about. I also took them to a movie house with a balcony, both so that they could experience them and appriciate what I had.
They liked both.:wave:

CaptJohn
08-17-2013, 09:18 AM
If I remember correctly, get the couple you're double dating with to hide in the trunk so you can get them in for free!:a20:

You remember correctly! :laugh:

If retired folks tried this they might not be able to get out of the trunk once in! :laugh: