PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with professional women's golf?

BarryRX
08-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I've been watching the US women getting beat pretty badly in the Solheim Cup. There is only one American woman in the Rolex top 10, and only 18 American women in the Rolex top 100. Is this just a cyclical low or is there a reason our colleges aren't producing golfers that are ready to come out on the tour and win?

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
If you ben watching the Solheim Cup Matches, the answer should be obvious. The American women can't putt. Even the best of them look pathetic when putting.
I had a friend back in the 80s who was the Championship agronomist for the USGA. His job was to go into USGA championship sites years before the event and set the golf course on a program to have it in the right shape for that particular event. Different events required different conditions. He was doing a woman's US Open course in my area and I spent a little time with him. We got to talking about what he was doing to the golf course. He said that he was slowing and softening the greens and the areas around them. I was shocked to hear this. He went on to explain that the women had terrible short games. Their chipping, pitching and putting was incredibly inferior to the men professionals. The USGA wanted him to make the golf course as easy as possible around the greens so as not to embarrass the women.

It appears that the women every where else in the world have figured this out but the American women's short games still lag far behind the men and now far behind the rest of the world's women.

The American women hit it as well as, and in most cases better than the Asian, Europeans and other women, but the tee to green game is just not that important. If it were, Michelle Wie would be the best woman player in the world.

BarryRX
08-18-2013, 04:25 PM
So far that appears to be true. They're putting like I do and have been for 2 days! But, we're making a pretty good run right now, so I don't want to jinx them. Come on ladies, you can do it!! By the way, that 17 year old girl Charley Hull (from England but born in Poland) is going to be a star.

justjim
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
There are several reasons. No. 1 is probably that in the US----best athletics prefer team sports---women and men. That said, Asian women have made golf a national past time---especially South Korea. Dr. Winston is correct---men are by far better putters. The stats have proven that for the last several years. Asians practice their putting more---US ladies busy getting endorsements!