PDA

View Full Version : dungaree dolls

chachacha
08-23-2013, 04:52 AM
just thought it would be fun to remember the days of our teens. i remember on long island around 1958 i was told that "all the girls" were wearing their new dungarees in a hot bathtub to shrink them to the perfect fit...does anyone remember hearing this or actually doing it? any other odd customs one would care to share? cotton candy pink lipstick? the halo girl contests? didn't we have fun?

jblum315
08-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Elaborate flip hairdos that were hard to maintain - no blow dryers!

kagney123
08-23-2013, 06:40 AM
just thought it would be fun to remember the days of our teens. i remember on long island around 1958 i was told that "all the girls" were wearing their new dungarees in a hot bathtub to shrink them to the perfect fit...does anyone remember hearing this or actually doing it? any other odd customs one would care to share? cotton candy pink lipstick? the halo girl contests? didn't we have fun?

After school I would set up the ironing board, my classmates would sit and lean back, I would brush their hair then cover it with a paper bag and iron their hair..I was an expert...LoL

kittygilchrist
08-23-2013, 07:19 AM
In fourth grade, we went on the playground as a group, one of us would take several deep breaths and the other would squeeze her around the chest, causing her to pass out. I got up after the squeeze from Chantelle, who was no wuss of a girl, with sandspurs stuck in my arm. Taylor County, FL entertainment...:highfive:

kagney123
08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
In fourth grade, we went on the playground as a group, one of us would take several deep breaths and the other would squeeze her around the chest, causing her to pass out. I got up after the squeeze from Chantelle, who was no wuss of a girl, with sandspurs stuck in my arm. Taylor County, FL entertainment...:highfive:

OMG forgot all about this....once passed out while on the ground we had to answer all questions truthfully..For instance..."Do you like Marty Lillis" LoL
we really at times pretended we were passed out for 10 minutes.
Thinking about this today, it was a dangerous game... Hudson County, New Jersey

2newyorkers
08-23-2013, 08:06 AM
I loved my "Birdie" blouses and I would set my hair with spoolies. What is a halo girl?

DianeM
08-23-2013, 08:55 AM
I sat in the tub to shrink my Levi jeans. Felt miserable but did it anyway.

Barefoot
08-23-2013, 09:06 AM
What a fun thread!

Instead of suntan lotion, we used baby oil with iodine in it. And we would cut out the initials of our current boyfriend (out of adhesive tape) and apply them to our body so we'd tan around the initials. Sort of a reverse tattoo.

And the most daring body part we ever pierced was our ears!

Shirleevee
08-23-2013, 09:10 AM

Delmonte tomato sauce empty cans for hair rollers..........

chachacha
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I loved my "Birdie" blouses and I would set my hair with spoolies. What is a halo girl?

i don't know what a birdie blouse is but every year there was a contest for the halo shampoo girl, and the public voted on the girl with the most beautiful long, shiny hair. there would be "voting booths" at many local stores with photos. tell us oldies about the birdie blouse, please. i remember setting my long hair with pin curls at night.

sharonga
08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Delmonte tomato sauce empty cans for hair rollers..........

Hi, Shirlee, I am from SI too. moved about one year ago. Now in Sanibel.

sharonga
08-23-2013, 01:30 PM
O.K. this was the Brooklyn way.......wore our dungarees in the shower to shrink them to match our body. Lay on the bed and pull the zipper up. My hair was teased and hairsprayed high and hard!!!!! Eyeliner thick with doe eyes, and I was a good girl!!!!!

njbchbum
08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
i don't know what a birdie blouse is but every year there was a contest for the halo shampoo girl, and the public voted on the girl with the most beautiful long, shiny hair. there would be "voting booths" at many local stores with photos. tell us oldies about the birdie blouse, please. i remember setting my long hair with pin curls at night.

in my house we voted for miss rheingold!

never ironed hair - but did iron sheets dried outdoors on a clothes line, uniform shirts and and father's underwear!

we listened to paul harvey, walter winchell [good evening mr. and mrs. america and all the ships at sea] and bob and ray on the radio; watched american bandstand on tv after school, walt disney and ed sullivan on sunday nite.

panamachica
08-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Anyone else still have their 'Poodle' skirt?

mac9
08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Here is a website that sells patterns for birdie blouses.My happy sewing place...: McCall 764: The Birdie Blouse (http://www.myhappysewingplace.com/2013/05/mccall-764-birdie-blouse.html)

jblum315
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh, I remember. I hated those puffed sleeve blouses

DianeM
08-23-2013, 02:58 PM
O.K. this was the Brooklyn way.......wore our dungarees in the shower to shrink them to match our body. Lay on the bed and pull the zipper up. My hair was teased and hairsprayed high and hard!!!!! Eyeliner thick with doe eyes, and I was a good girl!!!!!

I'm a Queens girl and we did the exact same thing. The room would be a fog after the hairspray came out and the eyeliner was jet black. I too was a good girl!!!! But the "bad" girls pretty much looked the same - LOL.

2newyorkers
08-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Here is a website that sells patterns for birdie blouses.My happy sewing place...: McCall 764: The Birdie Blouse (http://www.myhappysewingplace.com/2013/05/mccall-764-birdie-blouse.html)

This is not the blouse I meant. Do you remember the blouse Ann Margaret wore in Bye Bye Birdie when she went to the dance club? It exposed your stomach and had ruffles on the front. Maybe it was a Long Island thing to call the blouse a birdie.

manaboutown
08-23-2013, 04:48 PM
My male remembrances include blue suede shoes, late 1950's pegged pants, pink and black shirts on men, later on docker style pants with a short fabric buckled belt in the back below the real belt line, wearing the original Levis to school, flat top haircuts, both Richie Cunningham and Fonzie type guys. Cruising the drive ins which all had car hops. Catching sight of some of the girls you knew there with curlers in their hair trying to hide from being seen by the guys, And how about the 1957 Chevy convertible?

Anybody have some photos of yourselves in those days?

mac9
08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
This is not the blouse I meant. Do you remember the blouse Ann Margaret wore in Bye Bye Birdie when she went to the dance club? It exposed your stomach and had ruffles on the front. Maybe it was a Long Island thing to call the blouse a birdie.

Sure do remember. Never heard it called that! See ya soon!

kittygilchrist
08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
My male remembrances include blue suede shoes, late 1950's pegged pants, pink and black shirts on men, later on docker style pants with a short fabric buckled belt in the back below the real belt line, wearing the original Levis to school, flat top haircuts, both Richie Cunningham and Fonzie type guys. Cruising the drive ins which all had car hops. Catching sight of some of the girls you knew there with curlers in their hair trying to hide from being seen by the guys, And how about the 1957 Chevy convertible?

Anybody have some photos of yourselves in those days?

Photos of a 60's girl.

manaboutown
08-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice pics, Kitty. Thanks. I went to my high school class website which has some photos from our yearbook but could not get the photos to come up on a link. I do have some wonderful memories, though, as we all must!

Halibut
08-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Ha! Hair flips! These are my sisters. One of them is single, so maybe a second-degree association counts for this thread. :laugh:

I was gonna say pegged pants, but manaboutown beat me to it.