PDA

View Full Version : If Women Ruled the World

Trish Crocker
08-24-2013, 09:46 AM
I had a really neat experience the other day at Universal Studios that for some reason really impacted me. I was waiting for my husband and grandson while they were on a ride when I noticed a Muslim woman standing there also. We looked at each other, she smiled and said hello. She said her family was on the ride also but she was too afraid to go on the rides. As we talked, I learned that she was visiting from Kuwait and that she has a daughter that is starting school in Virginia, studying economics and business. I commented on her perfume, it smelled somewhat like Patchouli and she said that it was an Arabic perfume, although she sometimes likes French scents she preferred Arabic. After a couple of minutes she crouched down and started going through her purse. She stood up and handed me a small bottle of body lotion, telling me that I put it on after showering and that she hoped I enjoyed it. At that point, both of our families were running up so she reached out her hand to shake mine and said goodbye. If only the whole world could relate to each other in that way, there was no animosity, only two women sharing perfume and enjoying our families. I don't know if I will ever wear the lotion but I will never forget that brief moment.

blueash
08-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Thank you for sharing this story, and thank you for your open mind and willingness to reach out.

njbchbum
08-24-2013, 11:26 AM
i remember golda meir offering the same sentiment...her reasoning...there would be no fighting because mothers would never send their children off to war. i always agreed with that!

ilovetv
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM
i remember golda meir offering the same sentiment...her reasoning...there would be no fighting because mothers would never send their children off to war. i always agreed with that!

How true.

rosygail
08-24-2013, 12:28 PM
You should definitely wear the scent and when you receive comments you can share your beautiful story about how women can change the world!

Lark7
08-24-2013, 12:28 PM
What a heartwarming story - thanks for sharing; sometimes we make peace and understanding too complex.

Schaumburger
08-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Trish, Thank you for this post.

Schaumburger
08-24-2013, 01:26 PM
What a heartwarming story - thanks for sharing; sometimes we make peace and understanding too complex.

:agree:

quirky3
08-24-2013, 02:19 PM
VERY cool!!!:coolsmiley:

angiefox10
08-24-2013, 02:31 PM
You brought tears to my eyes with your story. Thank you so very much for sharing....

Taltarzac725
08-24-2013, 03:21 PM
I had a really neat experience the other day at Universal Studios that for some reason really impacted me. I was waiting for my husband and grandson while they were on a ride when I noticed a Muslim woman standing there also. We looked at each other, she smiled and said hello. She said her family was on the ride also but she was too afraid to go on the rides. As we talked, I learned that she was visiting from Kuwait and that she has a daughter that is starting school in Virginia, studying economics and business. I commented on her perfume, it smelled somewhat like Patchouli and she said that it was an Arabic perfume, although she sometimes likes French scents she preferred Arabic. After a couple of minutes she crouched down and started going through her purse. She stood up and handed me a small bottle of body lotion, telling me that I put it on after showering and that she hoped I enjoyed it. At that point, both of our families were running up so she reached out her hand to shake mine and said goodbye. If only the whole world could relate to each other in that way, there was no animosity, only two women sharing perfume and enjoying our families. I don't know if I will ever wear the lotion but I will never forget that brief moment.

Nice story. Often in nature though the female is a lot nastier than the male.

Parker
08-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Not to take anything from this nice story, but men have the same situations happen to them. Strike up a conversation, share a moment in time. A society run by women? No thanks, I like a blend.

mikeandnancy1112
08-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Their are many beautiful people in the world! Awesome story!!

uujudy
08-24-2013, 05:23 PM
What a wonderful story, Trish! Thanks for sharing!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I was living in the Philippines a few years ago and we took a vacation in Puerto Galera. On the boat over, we met some people from the mid east. One was from Turkey and several other were from Iraq.
We chatted amiably during the half hour boat ride. As it turned out, we were staying at the same resort.
The next day they approached us at breakfast and said that they had arranged to go snorkeling and wanted to know if we wanted to join them. We had a a great time and had lunch together.
It happened to be New Year's Eve and we spent the evening on the beach with them. Again we all got along. At one point, one of the Iraqis leaned over and whispered in my ear, "We're not all terrorists, you know". I really felt bad that he felt the need to have to explain that to everyone he met.
It's not just women. Men can get along as well.

jebartle
08-25-2013, 03:22 AM
Thank you for sharing:wave:

twinklesweep
08-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Their are many beautiful people in the world! Awesome story!!

If only the world could be run by these "many beautiful people in the world" rather than by those consumed by religious and political ideologies and out-and-out greed....

graciegirl
08-25-2013, 05:56 AM
As I have said before, there was a Mosque in our Cincinnati neighborhood and it gave us a big opportunity to learn and to know and to enjoy many of our Islamic neighbors.

In fact our neighborhood attracted a lot of international business and professional people and their families who worked as engineers and scientists for Proctor and Gamble and General Electric and researchers and physicians at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. We had a wonderfully diverse neighborhood and some eye opening experiences when it came to day to day living.

The influx of these cultures, many of whom promoted scholarship and dedicated work vastly raised the bar in our schools and many wonderful things happened as a result. There was much more emphasis on the sciences and math and the kids in the families of the new immigrants weren't allowed by their parents in many cases to participate in sports or other extra curricular activities. Almost always the valedictorians of the two high schools were kids whose parents were from China, India, and Africa. We had kids from all over but those countries were the ones to beat scholastically. We had engineers and researchers and scientists of every color and hue and it was amazing the similarities that we found in each other. I served on the curriculum committee of our school district and we charged forward in advance placement courses and enjoyed seeing the wonderful influence of our world neighbors making homegrown kids really have to compete.

Our own grandchildren who lived nearby in the same neighborhood and school district frequently brought their friends to our house and we were always feeding a bunch of interesting kids of international origin and learning from them as they sat around our table and debated with each other and with me. Our granddaughters two best friends were and still are a girl from China and a girl from India (Now young women on the road to successful careers in law and medicine) We always threw a Christmas party for our grandchildren's friends. I was so delighted with their social graces and their manners. (The homegrown ones too) I love learning things and I love kids.

There were some cultures that our grandchildren found hard to understand and some that held their daughters back in our grandchildren's eyes. But living on American soil is a wonderful experience and opportunity for these new immigrant families and we look forward to this new generation that now marry for "love" and do not have different gender potentials. Many of the children enjoyed our big Christmas celebrations and I hope we were good ambassadors for our traditions too.

tainsley
08-25-2013, 06:39 AM
I believe the world would be a better place for all mankind... If women ruled the world. Enjoyed hearing your experience Trish!

senior citizen
08-25-2013, 06:50 AM

rubicon
08-25-2013, 06:55 AM
The OP's story is wonderful and should be cherished and a good reminder that we should not pre-judge.

However the reality is that this is not reflective of world as a whole as the world is full of very manipulative and hateful people so one should never let there guard down. The ubiquitous trust and verify comes to mind. Trojan Horse, Pearl Harbor, Bernie Madoff......And on a smaller scale the flim flam people who knock on your door or call you on the phone with evil intent.

Also if you recall female leaders both past and present ruling in Europe, South America, etc have shown that they can be as cruel as men

Circumstances also result in neighbor going against neighbor as during Nazi Germany's occupations, Viet Cong, or even present day with the ethnic or religious cleansing in Europe, Asia Africa, Middle East.

twinklesweep
08-25-2013, 07:15 AM
The OP's story is wonderful and should be cherished and a good reminder that we should not pre-judge.

However the reality is that this is not reflective of world as a whole as the world is full of very manipulative and hateful people so one should never let there guard down. The ubiquitous trust and verify comes to mind. Trojan Horse, Pearl Harbor, Bernie Madoff......And on a smaller scale the flim flam people who knock on your door or call you on the phone with evil intent.

Also if you recall female leaders both past and present ruling in Europe, South America, etc have shown that they can be as cruel as men

Circumstances also result in neighbor going against neighbor as during Nazi Germany's occupations, Viet Cong, or even present day with the ethnic or religious cleansing in Europe, Asia Africa, Middle East.

I quote myself in response. Can "if only..." actually ever happen? Of course not, but sometimes we can enjoy thinking about a fantasy (while at the same time being conscious of reality). Notwithstanding, thanks to the OP for sharing her very real experience!

If only the world could be run by these "many beautiful people in the world" rather than by those consumed by religious and political ideologies and out-and-out greed....

John_W
08-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I had a similar experience as the OP last week. We took the Autotrain last Tuesday and are currently in Maryland. When you have dinner, they have you share your table in the dining car with other people. When we went to eat, my wife and I were seated with two Iranian looking people and the woman wore a scarf around her head and only showed her face. I thought, I would of never chose to sit with these people.

It turns out they were from Washington, DC and the girl has her Masters degree and is working on her PhD at UCF in Orlando and she was with her brother, who is in the 11th grade who had come down to visit her. She was traveling back to DC to see her parents. I thought her folks were probably from overseas and worked at an embassy, but she said no, they were an average American family and her father was a mechanic. I learned a lot from our hour or so of conversation and they were very pleasant people.

Parker
08-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Though there are definitely exceptions, scary exceptions, I'd say most people just want to live their lives in peace and goodwill, whatever their background. I've worked with many diverse folks in my life from all over. We all got along just fine and usually had many things in common. Only rarely was there one of those "exceptions".

senior citizen
08-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-25-2013, 08:09 AM
I believe the world would be a better place for all mankind... If women ruled the world. Enjoyed hearing your experience Trish!

Yea, we could use more like Imelda Marcos, Marie Antoinette, Mary, Queen of Scots and Margot Honecker.

We just need more reasonable people whether they are men or women.

blueash
08-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Yea, we could use more like Imelda Marcos, Marie Antoinette, Mary, Queen of Scots and Margot Honecker.

We just need more reasonable people whether they are men or women.

As John Lennon so famously said, and I know you are familiar with his work, IMAGINE. In a thread filled with sunshine no need for a raincloud

graciegirl
08-25-2013, 09:12 AM
As John Lennon so famously said, and I know you are familiar with his work, IMAGINE. In a thread filled with sunshine no need for a raincloud

youtube it's a small world after all - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+it's+a+small+world+after+all&mid=337F9C41254F9861A69A337F9C41254F9861A69A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1)

Taltarzac725
08-25-2013, 09:25 AM
...Are women instinctively more nurturing? - Curiosity (http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/are-women-more-nurturing)

I went to a law school with more than 50% female-- the University of Minnesota Law School (Class of 1989)-- and the women were often much more driven than the men. In fact, of the classes I remember (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990) at least half of them had a woman valedictorian. I also attended BYU Law School for about 10 days back in 1982 and there were only two women that I remember in the entire Class of 1985 student body. One was a librarian trying to become a Law Librarian. Believe the other one was married to another law student at BYU but I could be wrong about that. My point is that nurturing roles are often part of social conditioning and have little to do with innate features.

The librarians I studied with getting my Masters in Librarianship and Information Management at the University of Denver (Class of May 1984) were very supportive people and very nurturing of each other. Most of these people were teachers looking to get a MA on their resume.

I encountered some truly underhanded and just plain nasty law librarians while at the University of Minnesota Law Library. Most of these people playing very dirty tricks were women. One of the worst of these was attacking my mental health for simply wanting to be honest about a niche in services towards victims/survivors of crimes I had discovered from February 25, 1976 onward in libraries of all types. I had gone to the University of Denver Library School partly because of a man's work on trying to make the law more accessible to lay people. This was Al Coco. Did not find much of these accessibility spirit at the University of Minnesota Law Library and School. Another law librarian-- something of a populist for legal research-- Bob Berring of Boalt Hall Law Library (U of CA, Berkeley), had advised me to be honest about my interest in survivors' rights and their needs in libraries.

donb9006
08-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Women have the advantage of...if they fail, they can always get married and be provided for. Men don't have that option. Men only get what they can earn. It's a BIG difference.

tainsley
08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Women have the advantage of...if they fail, they can always get married and be provided for. Men don't have that option. Men only get what they can earn. It's a BIG difference.

You're kidding, right?

donb9006
08-25-2013, 12:40 PM
You're kidding, right?

Why would you think I'm kidding? You don't agree?

Please...enlighten me then...I'm waiting to hear your opinion on how women seek out men to marry.

My experience is a woman just has to look good to attract men, a man has to have something tangible to attract women. It's the basis for the "beauty industry" and the reason men compete to make more money. Men date/marry women without a job, assets, or income all the time...how many woman will date/marry a man with nothing? It's a reason men SHOULD make more...it's costs us more to have a life. How many women "buy men drinks"? Buy men dinner? Not regularly they don't. Women generally "date for free", men get stuck with the bill. I saw a story not too long ago about a particular woman who admitted to using on-line dating to go out every day and night for free. A different first date every day. It was sickening. But it happens regularly. Not EVERY day...but often enough.

Of course, I'm painting with a broad stroke, not all are like that, but a lot are. Enough for it to be a pretty accurate stereotype.

Suzi
08-25-2013, 12:42 PM
You're kidding, right?

Holy Smokes! How OLD are you? Listen Buster: women are educated and then CHOOSE to be married and have children. We can do it all. The modern women is not the "helpless" women you have apparently known before. We are independent, worldly, organized, ambitious, driven, nurturing and CUTE. We choose to marry so that we can give birth and successfully raise the next generation of leaders of our country.

Ooops. I think you pushed the wrong button.

eweissenbach
08-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Why would you think I'm kidding? You don't agree?

Please...enlighten me then...I'm waiting to hear your opinion on how women seek out men to marry.

My experience is a woman just has to look good to attract men, a man has to have something tangible to attract women. It's the basis for the "beauty industry" and the reason men compete to make more money. Men date/marry women without a job, assets, or income all the time...how many woman will date/marry a man with nothing? It's a reason men SHOULD make more...it's costs us more to have a life. How many women "buy men drinks"? Buy men dinner? Not regularly they don't. Women generally "date for free", men get stuck with the bill. I saw a story not too long ago about a particular woman who admitted to using on-line dating to go out every day and night for free. A different first date every day. It was sickening. But it happens regularly. Not EVERY day...but often enough.

Of course, I'm painting with a broad stroke, not all are like that, but a lot are. Enough for it to be a pretty accurate stereotype.

:loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

graciegirl
08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
For many years it was how a woman LOOKED and what a man DID.

Now breadwinner roles are all over the charts. Some are female, some are tandem, some are male, some take turns, and Unfortunately losers still marry losers and after the sex dies down and the all nighters with babies kick in, ya get a look at the real person you chose.

I was really, really lucky, is all I have to say.

Thank you Sweetie for marrying into a family of strong women and encouraging our daughters to be the same..

shcisamax
08-25-2013, 01:30 PM
As I said earlier, these statements are condescending at every level. One could go all the way back in time and talk about the hunters and travelers who were mobile and women who had to stay to take care of the babies so were disadvantaged not being afforded the chance to become educated. One could go back and examine how women have been used and subjugated in every sense and in servitude throughout history while their exploiters enjoyed the fruits and their freedom. One could refer to the inability of ownership, or loss through marriage...oh where shall I stop with the struggle of being a woman throughout history...Suddenly we find ourselves in the modern times where women have successfully fought (certainly they didn't bat their eyelashes) for their equality and education and right to their bodies and still are fighting for equality of pay and position..please do not belittle womanhood by saying they are all about getting a man to marry to be taken care of...

BTW: Have you noticed all the "enhancements" out there for men? Hair, teeth, bodybuilding galore, facelifts and all the same plastic surgery, endless fashion, heightened shoes, and on and on and on. Equal opportunity to like the way you look.

tainsley
08-25-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not going to bite DonB! I do want to say I was raised to be independent and work hard. My mother and father raised four children. They both worked hard all their lives and we all turned out fabulous! My husband and I both worked hard for forty some years, we both raised our three great kids (and they too are pretty fabulous, independent and hard working)! Life has been good for us...not perfect but happy! A great marriage and ALWAYS a team!

donb9006
08-25-2013, 02:50 PM
For many years it was how a woman LOOKED and what a man DID.

Now breadwinner roles are all over the charts. Some are female, some are tandem, some are male, some take turns, and Unfortunately losers still marry losers and after the sex dies down and the all nighters with babies kick in, ya get a look at the real person you chose.

I was really, really lucky, is all I have to say.

Thank you Sweetie for marrying into a family of strong women and encouraging our daughters to be the same..

And our society has never been worse off.

Each sex has their strengths and weaknesses. We should be modeling society to take advantage of those strengths and weaknesses...but we don't...we create "one size fits all" and "zero tolerance" and screw everything up.

Life and society WAS better in the past when we had defined roles. It's why girls really do prefer dolls and dressing up to the guns and construction sets that boys adore.

We're a product of marketing. They've marketed that idea that everyone needs to work to have bigger and better everything...and a new one every year. They've marketed debt slavery to the masses and the masses have eaten it up. Because they get to have more "stuff".

What's the percentage of children being "raised" by some barely cognizant foreigner to whom english is a second language getting minimum wage? It's too high!

IMO, many women have relegated their natural responsibility to their child for a paycheck so they can go on vacation and eat out.

Also IMO, women can have a career...until they have a child...and from that point on...that child is their #1 priority. And it's the mans job to provide everything she needs to accomplish that duty.

Yes, I'm "old fashioned", but that's the way nature intended it to be. It's why we "pair up". It's why marriage was invented. Two people in a symbiosis, all designed for the welfare of their children. Each doing what they've been designed by nature to do. It's not complicated...we make it complicated.

donb9006
08-25-2013, 03:00 PM
As I said earlier, these statements are condescending at every level. One could go all the way back in time and talk about the hunters and travelers who were mobile and women who had to stay to take care of the babies so were disadvantaged not being afforded the chance to become educated. One could go back and examine how women have been used and subjugated in every sense and in servitude throughout history while their exploiters enjoyed the fruits and their freedom. One could refer to the inability of ownership, or loss through marriage...oh where shall I stop with the struggle of being a woman throughout history...Suddenly we find ourselves in the modern times where women have successfully fought (certainly they didn't bat their eyelashes) for their equality and education and right to their bodies and still are fighting for equality of pay and position..please do not belittle womanhood by saying they are all about getting a man to marry to be taken care of...

BTW: Have you noticed all the "enhancements" out there for men? Hair, teeth, bodybuilding galore, facelifts and all the same plastic surgery, endless fashion, heightened shoes, and on and on and on. Equal opportunity to like the way you look.

It's marketing...plain and simple. Marketers, advertisers, trying to expand their market. Thank the "gay agenda" for that. Making men feminine.

These are just opinions...something else to think about. Get your brain stirring a bit. I never claimed to be omniscient.

BarryRX
08-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Each sex has their strengths and weaknesses. We should be modeling society to take advantage of those strengths and weaknesses...but we don't...we create "one size fits all" and "zero tolerance" and screw everything up.

Life and society WAS better in the past when we had defined roles. It's why girls really do prefer dolls and dressing up to the guns and construction sets that boys adore.

We're a product of marketing. They've marketed that idea that everyone needs to work to have bigger and better everything...and a new one every year. They've marketed debt slavery to the masses and the masses have eaten it up. Because they get to have more "stuff".

What's the percentage of children being "raised" by some barely cognizant foreigner to whom english is a second language getting minimum wage? It's too high!

IMO, many women have relegated their natural responsibility to their child for a paycheck so they can go on vacation and eat out.

Also IMO, women can have a career...until they have a child...and from that point on...that child is their #1 priority. And it's the mans job to provide everything she needs to accomplish that duty.

Yes, I'm "old fashioned", but that's the way nature intended it to be. It's why we "pair up". It's why marriage was invented. Two people in a symbiosis, all designed for the welfare of their children. Each doing what they've been designed by nature to do. It's not complicated...we make it complicated.

You're correct in one way. We used to have more defined roles. Men could be whatever they wanted to be (as long as they had the ability) and women could be whatever men let them be, which wasn't much. I'm only 64 years old, but can remember a time when women who were probably a lot smarter than I am we're limited to being a teacher or a nurse if they chose to work. Perhaps we should only limit women to being Moms. To me, insisting on those "traditional" roles is not much different than forcing them to stay home and make them dress in burqua's. I also find it amusing that a couple of us guys are debating a women's role in society. I am guessing that we will shortly hear from some very smart, talented, and strong women.

Trish Crocker
08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Donb, you are contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you are saying that women and men have clearly defined roles and that this is how it 'should' be, then on the other you are basically saying that women are lazy, that they use the men in their lives. Wow! You stated that things are worse now than ever but you are sooo wrong. Young women today are educated, ambitious and taking care of themselves, including paying for dates. I find it insulting to ALL women that you think we all look for a man to take care of us. This is ridiculous! Many women work because they love their careers, many take time off to raise families, others continue to work because, contrary to your beliefs, they aren't doing it for the vacations, etc....they are doing it to help put a roof over their families head. Yes, I married a man that makes more money than I do but that had nothing to do with it. I married him because he is good, kind, puts up with me and makes me feel loved and appreciated. The character and ethics that he has is what I fell in love with, and this is also why he is successful. I actually feel sorry for you. I started this post with a simple little story that I wanted to share, perhaps I shouldn't have titled it the way I did. I didn't realize that it would hit anyones mysoginist button.

eweissenbach
08-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Donb, you are contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you are saying that women and men have clearly defined roles and that this is how it 'should' be, then on the other you are basically saying that women are lazy, that they use the men in their lives. Wow! You stated that things are worse now than ever but you are sooo wrong. Young women today are educated, ambitious and taking care of themselves, including paying for dates. I find it insulting to ALL women that you think we all look for a man to take care of us. This is ridiculous! Many women work because they love their careers, many take time off to raise families, others continue to work because, contrary to your beliefs, they aren't doing it for the vacations, etc....they are doing it to help put a roof over their families head. Yes, I married a man that makes more money than I do but that had nothing to do with it. I married him because he is good, kind, puts up with me and makes me feel loved and appreciated. The character and ethics that he has is what I fell in love with, and this is also why he is successful. I actually feel sorry for you. I started this post with a simple little story that I wanted to share, perhaps I shouldn't have titled it the way I did. I didn't realize that it would hit anyones mysoginist button.

A more intelligent and coherent argument than his posts deserve. Well said Trish!

shcisamax
08-25-2013, 05:56 PM
This is a little off topic but speaks to the issue that women marry to be taken care of. I think not.

The history of marriage dates back as far as the ancient times. Studies revealed that marriage didn’t exist before. The usual practice was that the men in a certain tribe or horde had access to the women they like. When children are born, they belonged to the whole community. This is associated with the perception that humans want sexual variety. However, things have changed when sexual morality was developed and has since influenced the social life of the people.

The earliest marriage was believed to be ‘group marriage’. The union was basically between groups of men and women, and there exists shared sexual relations. The group marriage allowed polyandry, and this existed in Ceylon, India, and Tibet many years ago.

The origin of marriage is a great debate subject. Many people are wondering how marriage began. There have been studies that claim the existence of marriage 4,350 years ago. Before this time, families were made up of less organized groups consisting of more or less than thirty people. The group consisted of men that shared women. With the introduction of agricultural civilization, the society demanded for stable arrangements.

It is said that the first union between a man and a woman took place in Mesopotamia at 2350 BC. Marriage evolved since then and such practice was observed by the Romans, Greeks, and Hebrews. However, the union was never about love or religion. The primary purpose of the marriage is to ensure that the man’s children are biologically his, and so women were treated as mere ‘property’.

Wives were expected to stay at home and attend to the children, as well as house chores. A husband can give back his wife if she is unable to produce children. The ancient people also turned to prostitutes, concubines, or male lovers to satisfy their needs for sexual variety.

History of Marriage
With the increasing power of the Catholic Church, religion was able to influence marriage. For a marriage to be considered as legal, a priest’s blessing was required. Around the 8th century, marriage was treated as a sacrament by the church, and that the ceremony is required for the couple to receive God’s grace. By the year 1563, a canon law was written to show marriage’s sacramental nature.

Many wives favored the blessings of the church. By that time, men already respected their wives and divorce was forbidden. The church still recognized the husband as the head of the family, and that wives must submit to the wishes of the husband. The church emphasized the importance of being sexually faithful. A lot of men were pressured of this great change since by nature, men wanted sexual variety. With the increasing awareness of social morality, men were able to adjust gradually.

Today, marriage is not just about practical reasons. The couple usually has a deep feeling for mutual devotion and love. Romantic love is said to have existed since the Middle Ages. Some say that romantic love was conceptualized by the French. Indeed, love was able to change the way people view marriage. The latter was no longer treated as a pragmatic transaction. However, the belief that wives were owned by their husbands remained for centuries.

graciegirl
08-25-2013, 07:24 PM
This is a little off topic but speaks to the issue that women marry to be taken care of. I think not.

The history of marriage dates back as far as the ancient times. Studies revealed that marriage didn’t exist before. The usual practice was that the men in a certain tribe or horde had access to the women they like. When children are born, they belonged to the whole community. This is associated with the perception that humans want sexual variety. However, things have changed when sexual morality was developed and has since influenced the social life of the people.

The earliest marriage was believed to be ‘group marriage’. The union was basically between groups of men and women, and there exists shared sexual relations. The group marriage allowed polyandry, and this existed in Ceylon, India, and Tibet many years ago.

The origin of marriage is a great debate subject. Many people are wondering how marriage began. There have been studies that claim the existence of marriage 4,350 years ago. Before this time, families were made up of less organized groups consisting of more or less than thirty people. The group consisted of men that shared women. With the introduction of agricultural civilization, the society demanded for stable arrangements.

It is said that the first union between a man and a woman took place in Mesopotamia at 2350 BC. Marriage evolved since then and such practice was observed by the Romans, Greeks, and Hebrews. However, the union was never about love or religion. The primary purpose of the marriage is to ensure that the man’s children are biologically his, and so women were treated as mere ‘property’.

Wives were expected to stay at home and attend to the children, as well as house chores. A husband can give back his wife if she is unable to produce children. The ancient people also turned to prostitutes, concubines, or male lovers to satisfy their needs for sexual variety.

History of Marriage
With the increasing power of the Catholic Church, religion was able to influence marriage. For a marriage to be considered as legal, a priest’s blessing was required. Around the 8th century, marriage was treated as a sacrament by the church, and that the ceremony is required for the couple to receive God’s grace. By the year 1563, a canon law was written to show marriage’s sacramental nature.

Many wives favored the blessings of the church. By that time, men already respected their wives and divorce was forbidden. The church still recognized the husband as the head of the family, and that wives must submit to the wishes of the husband. The church emphasized the importance of being sexually faithful. A lot of men were pressured of this great change since by nature, men wanted sexual variety. With the increasing awareness of social morality, men were able to adjust gradually.

Today, marriage is not just about practical reasons. The couple usually has a deep feeling for mutual devotion and love. Romantic love is said to have existed since the Middle Ages. Some say that romantic love was conceptualized by the French. Indeed, love was able to change the way people view marriage. The latter was no longer treated as a pragmatic transaction. However, the belief that wives were owned by their husbands remained for centuries.

I read it all, but I gotta say this. Me and Sweetie are like Sandhill cranes.
Yup.

DougB
08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Yup.

Gracie and Sweetie

Pturner
08-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Why would you think I'm kidding? ...I'm waiting to hear your opinion on how women seek out men to marry.

...Also IMO, women can have a career...until they have a child...and from that point on...that child is their #1 priority. And it's the mans job to provide everything she needs to accomplish that duty.

So, women are faulted for choosing men who can support them... and for not doing so. How do you spell misogyny?

:a20:

shcisamax
08-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Yup.

I am sure you are.

Happinow
08-25-2013, 08:28 PM
What a wonderful story. I too wish we could all just get along regardless of race, religion, country.......you were lucky to have had such a touching experience.

Topspinmo
08-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree their not all terrorist if fact the majority not. We live sheltered life in America especially those that never had to go off to war or have never been hungry, I mean hungry not just late for supper or missed mean or two.

Life is cheap in the third world. especially for women in eastern countries. I afraid few short years shier law maybe the law of the land and set women back 5000 years. I bet that didn't come up in the conversation did it. She knew how lucky you are and how lucky she is to be in the land of the free. Unless you are royalty or born with the silver spoon in you mouth there's no place like America. I think we forget that sometimes.

Trish Crocker
08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Rc, you are correct...this never came up although I would have loved the opportunity to really talk with her. One thing that really infuriates me (and I know it's not my business), while visiting the theme parks, the weather is in the high 90s and I see these women totally covered in black, from head to toe, while their husbands/sons walk with them in shorts and short sleeved shirts. I respect the fact that the women may be doing this for religious reasons (our nuns did the same for years) but I hate to think that the only reason they are doing it is because the men demand it.

Topspinmo
08-25-2013, 10:23 PM
"men demand it". you bet they do who do you think come up with the rules? Not all Men are bad. Only those who seek power, political and religious power, and those who think they are Royalty. Common working Men IMO have it the hardest everything falls on their heads as you can see even "blame for being in charge" that average man has nothing to do with.

Schaumburger
08-26-2013, 03:33 AM

Wow, I think I was just transported back to the 1950's. :ohdear:

graciegirl
08-26-2013, 06:56 AM
I love Trish Crocker. She is kind, she is fair and she is smart.

shcisamax
08-26-2013, 07:14 AM
I love Trish Crocker. She is kind, she is fair and she is smart.

Where is the thumbs up button? And it was such a slice of a life story that embraced the beauty of unrehearsed and unbiased connection...so sorry the thread became something entirely different. BUT, thanks Trish for posting it for the enjoyment of many.

villages07
08-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Good story Trish.

How ironic, today is Women's Equality Day. We've come a long way, baby....

More of this :boxing2: and less of this :bigbow:

Women's Equality Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Equality_Day)