PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid car

2newyorkers
08-28-2013, 12:23 PM
We are snowbirds interested in buying a hybrid car. The car will be sitting unused in our TV garage for 4 or 5 months in the summer. Has anyone had negative or positive experiences with leaving your hybrid car unused for this amount of time?

buggyone
08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Instead of asking this forum and probably getting a wide variety of replies, why not talk with a mechanic that services the make of hybrid car you are considering? You could then get the answer directly from a certified source.

However, just to give my opinion - I would say it could not be good for the car. An outboard motor has to be completely drained of fuel before storage. A lawn mower must be completely drained of fuel when put away for the winter. Gasoline breaks down and water condenses.

Anyhow, ask a mechanic - in my other opinion. :popcorn:

JB in TV
08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
We have owned a 2007 Camry Hybrid, and currently have a 2009 Camry Hybrid. I can't speak for any other brand. We have someone start and drive the Camry around the block once a month to keep the Traction Battery charged when we are away. Starting it and letting it idle until the battey guage shows near full, is also an option, and we have had that done as well. We leave for 3 months at a time...we leave the gas tank full, and have never had an issue. Hope this helps.