PDA

View Full Version : Traffic ticket - need advice

alexb
08-28-2013, 02:10 PM
A few days ago a cop wrote me a ticket for an illegal u-turn. The incident happened on Rolling Acres about 500 ft from 441. I was going South and turned left into a driveway, just past a no u-turn sign. There were no cars in sight. As soon as I was off the road, I made a u-turn on the driveway and came out to Rolling Acres and turned right.

When the cop told me I made an illegal u-turn, I was ready to believe him, figuring he knows about traffic laws. But later, at home, I found this on website nolo.com

"Dividing your U-turn into several parts makes it legal. It is legal if you turn into a driveway or parking lot, make a full stop, then back out into traffic to complete the U-turn. Think of it this way: The left turn into a driveway is legal. Backing out of the driveway is legal, as long as you stay to the shoulder of the road, stop, activate your left turn signal, and enter traffic when safe to do so. And best of all, it's a way to make what amounts to a U-turn while keeping all those green portraits of Andrew Jackson safely in your pocket."

The fine is $166. The ticket says if I go to court and they find me guilty, I can be fined up to $500. Am not sure what to do.

Alex

G&P SSSKI
08-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Pay the $166

jnieman
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Pay the $166

You could also check and see if you can go to online traffic school to avoid the points. Be sure to do that before you pay the ticket. Someone told me once that they have an 8 hour class at Perkins restaurant instead of doing the on line class. Not sure of a contact number for this info. I think there may be a phone number on the back of the ticket possibly?

OpusX1
08-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Did you pull into a driveway, make a complete stop and then enter the roadway again? If you did all of the above I would fight it. If you just rolled into the driveway and pulled right out again I would pay the ticket since you made illegal U turn.

Villager Audio Video
08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
If you go to court and win the case you're still on the hook for court cost = probably not cheaper than the fine and your time.

vj1213
08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I got a ticket there 3 years ago when I first moved here. I honestly didn't even notice the sign when I pulled out from Pier One parking lot. But if you are talking about the same area, right past the sign is the entrance to the strip mall beside Five Guys, it's not a driveway. I paid my fine.

KittyKat
08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Pay the fine. You said that you "made a u-turn in the driveway" and turned right (North) onto Rolling Acres. This is not someone pulling into a driveway, backing out onto the road then proceeding forward.