PDA

View Full Version : President on TV. Special report on Syria

Cobh521
08-31-2013, 01:00 PM
President states we should take military action against Syria. President is prepared to give order but will seek authorization from Congress as this is what our democracy calls for.

ilovetv
08-31-2013, 01:09 PM
President states we should take military action against Syria. President is prepared to give order but will seek authorization from Congress as this is what our democracy calls for.

What's the consensus in congress looking like?

zcaveman
08-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Hopefully against it.

Z

billethkid
08-31-2013, 02:20 PM
the sense of urgency is staggering.....no the lack of sense of urgency is staggering....they both = no sense of urgency.
We certainly have a different view of what is urgent to say the least. In the UK parliament was called into emergency session to deal with the issue. Same issue....we will wait till everybody is back from vacation...then we will debate the issue!....yawn!

Maybe something else will command the world news now that the washington has elected to hit the pause button.

btk

zcaveman
08-31-2013, 02:46 PM
His only backer is France - which is not much of a backer.

Great Britain has voted no and the Prime Minister has gone along with the vote.

We should think twice before trying to butt into something we have no business butting into.

Z

Halle
08-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Hopefully against it.

Z

I agree.

njbchbum
08-31-2013, 02:49 PM
that's one way to avoid commitment.

zcaveman
08-31-2013, 02:50 PM

Commitment for what? Don't you think we have enough problems in the USofA without p*sing off the rest of the world?

I am not sure why everyone thinks that we have to be the big brother of those countries that don't are about themselves.

Z

JAV0108
08-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Or his usual blame game if something goes wrong. He can blame congress this time if they agree. Lets hope not.

janmcn
08-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Or his usual blame game if something goes wrong. He can blame congress this time if they agree. Lets hope not.

Or you could say that President Obama is obeying the US Constitution which gives congress the right to declare war and control of the purse strings.

billethkid
08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Or you could say that President Obama is obeying the US Constitution which gives congress the right to declare war and control of the purse strings.

control purse strings in the same sentence with any position/office in Washington.....:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

btk

gomoho
08-31-2013, 03:33 PM
He doesn't need the approval of congress unless we occupy a company for 3 consecutive months because that would not be considered a declaration of war.
I also am baffled how this urgent issue can wait till they get back to work. Throw the bums out.

ilovetv
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
He doesn't need the approval of congress unless we occupy a company for 3 consecutive months because that would not be considered a declaration of war.
I also am baffled how this urgent issue can wait till they get back to work. Throw the bums out.

Yes! Where is Kahuna saying "Never vote for an incumbent." They need to be sent home to get a freakin' JOB with decent health insurance and 40 hours of work/earnings like the rest of us bust our humps to get!!!!

skip0358
08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
His only backer is France - which is not much of a backer.

Great Britain has voted no and the Prime Minister has gone along with the vote.

We should think twice before trying to butt into something we have no business butting into.

Z

AMEN Couldn't agree more. We need to keep out period.

DianeM
08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
We have no business getting involved in Syria. Let them fight amongst themselves. I quite frankly don't care. Why do we always have to play the role of "big brother". The world hates us anyway so why not just defend our borders and say the heck with Syria.

Microcodeboy
08-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Who is on the other side of this equation? We know who the current leader is but what about the "new" leadership. Too many examples of wrong guesses lately. And shouldn't blab about it, just do it or leave all options open:blahblahblah::blahblahblah:. Tell us after.

DianeM
08-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Anyone remember Vietnam? We were acting as "big brother" there too. SIGH too many young men died there and in Afghanistan recently and more, sadly, will die in Syria if we go there now. Who would defend us? Not a single country I'm sure.

donb9006
08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Anyone remember Vietnam? We were acting as "big brother" there too. SIGH too many young men died there and in Afghanistan recently and more, sadly, will die in Syria if we go there now. Who would defend us? Not a single country I'm sure.

We got into Vietnam fraudulently, look up gulf of Tonkin. We got into Iraq fraudulently, where were the WMDs Powell? And we're going to get into this fraudulently!

They need this to have an excuse to raise the deficit.

DianeM
09-01-2013, 07:03 AM
We got into Vietnam fraudulently, look up gulf of Tonkin. We got into Iraq fraudulently, where were the WMDs Powell? And we're going to get into this fraudulently!

They need this to have an excuse to raise the deficit.

My point exactly

Bay Kid
09-01-2013, 08:25 AM
We have no business getting involved in Syria. Let them fight amongst themselves. I quite frankly don't care. Why do we always have to play the role of "big brother". The world hates us anyway so why not just defend our borders and say the heck with Syria.

So true!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Hopefully against it.

Z

Do you think that he will not act if congress votes against it?

Fasten your seat belts.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Actually, there's a little thing called the War Powers Act of 1973 that gives POTUS the power to act unilaterally.

Bucco
09-01-2013, 09:47 AM

You could...HOWEVER he, himself said publicly he does not need it, and even said a couple days ago he wouldn't ask for it.

This is sheer politics, and actually good politics..problem is that politics should not even be considered, but e pretty much now know it is.

jebartle
09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Yes! Where is Kahuna saying "Never vote for an incumbent." They need to be sent home to get a freakin' JOB with decent health insurance and 40 hours of work/earnings like the rest of us bust our humps to get!!!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

njbchbum
09-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Commitment for what? Don't you think we have enough problems in the USofA without p*sing off the rest of the world?

I am not sure why everyone thinks that we have to be the big brother of those countries that don't are about themselves.

Z

what are you insinuating that i meant? a commitment to act? foolish to assume, isn't it?

commitment can be to act or not to act.

zcaveman
09-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Do you think that he will not act if congress votes against it?

Fasten your seat belts.

No I don't. I think he is looking for a way out from his "crossed the red line" comment.

Z