PDA

View Full Version : The Villages vs. Sun City Center, FL

In awe of TV
09-05-2013, 08:12 AM
The post on Coastal FL vs. TV made me think of another area I've been researching. Has anyone visited SCC and/or Kings Points? The prices seem very reasonable at SCC vs. TV. I understand that the 50's-60's crowd are buying up the homes for sale. SCC is also a golf cart community. Has anyone been there and care to comment?

BarryRX
09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
The post on Coastal FL vs. TV made me think of another area I've been researching. Has anyone visited SCC and/or Kings Points? The prices seem very reasonable at SCC vs. TV. I understand that the 50's-60's crowd are buying up the homes for sale. SCC is also a golf cart community. Has anyone been there and care to comment?

My father-in-law lived in Kings Point in Delray Beach for many years. I visited him many times. One bedroom condos can be had for as little as $25 thousand dollars. They have 2 very nice golf courses as well as a clubhouse and a few pools. But, the downsides are many. The architecture has always struck me as East German communist era. The people are just not as friendly. I have mentioned to my wife that we should buy one of those cheap condos and just use it a few weeks a year when we get a cold snap here in TV. Delray Beach is a happening little town with lots of trendy restaurants and clubs.

asianthree
09-05-2013, 08:23 AM
i think those who buy young want to make sure they have the house they want...have it paid for when they retire...we lost our retirement package and will only have what we saved...we are prepared in case only one is left...those who buy young have a plan...i don't want to be the person who's got to sell their house due to a spouse death...we have a plan

DEWRDW
09-05-2013, 09:14 AM
SCC is a nice community however, I was disappointed with the shopping in the area - yes, you can take a golf cart just about anywhere but when we visited I was not comfortable with the quality of the shopping - this was a few years ago perhaps things have changed - you have to see for yourself - only you can judge what community is for you!

BobnBev
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Insurance is almost impossible to get on FL east coast.

janmcn
09-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Insurance is almost impossible to get on FL east coast.

Sun City Center, FL is located on Florida's west coast, between Tampa and Sarasota. Citizens insurance, the largest insurer in Florida, is available to any resident who can't buy insurance elsewhere.

dotti105
09-05-2013, 02:43 PM
i think those who buy young want to make sure they have the house they want...have it paid for when they retire...we lost our retirement package and will only have what we saved...we are prepared in case only one is left...those who buy young have a plan...i don't want to be the person who's got to sell their house due to a spouse death...we have a plan

I know where you are coming from.

My husband was a mortgage broker before the recession. Had been in housing his entire career. He never wrote a neg amortization loan and had no idea that the industry was going to the dogs until the Lenders started closing their doors.

Anyway, we lost most of our retirement savings, which was in Real Estate, in 2008 and have had to climb out of a deep hole. We are 64 now and still need 2 more years to have the security we feel we need to actually retire.

I am in awe of those who can retire in their 50's! We could retire now, and eat beans and rice and watch reruns on tv for our entertainment. Or we can work 2 more years with a smile on our face, thankful to have good jobs and able to pack funds away now for later.

We bought in TV before we should have. But are making it work and instead of commuting from Utah to San Jose to work, I will be commuting from TV to San Jose. We have shuffled things around and are glad we came to TV in May an bought, or our chance to have the home we design would have been lost forever.

We are counting the months until we can "retire", but we are living and loving life along the way. And we know we will have max security 20-30 yrs from now if we are fortunate enough to live that long.

Sorry, It appears, I just hijacked this thread...apologies to the poster!!!!

BobnBev
09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Sun City Center, FL is located on Florida's west coast, between Tampa and Sarasota. Citizens insurance, the largest insurer in Florida, is available to any resident who can't buy insurance elsewhere.

I was referring to Barrys post about Delray Beach, thanks.

mrsyarbie
09-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I lived in Valrico less than 20 minutes from SCC. There is no comparison to what we have here. You are right the shopping in that area is awful, but if you get on I-75 going north you will be in Brandon and the shopping is great there.There is Westfield Mall, Homegoods,Steinmart and every resturant you can imagine. I HIGHLY suggest if you dont mind a smaller community you go down the road north on 301 and you will find another retirement community with comparable prices and even more space for your money called Valencia Lakes. Anyway once we came here we just knew this was the place for us. But there are some very nice retirement places in that area.

patfla06
09-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Sun City Center is in Hillsborough County which has high taxes.
The traffic is horrible and you have to go to Brandon to eat
or shop. Brandon traffic is a nightmare.
You can find cheaper houses there.
But you know what they say " you get what you pay for."
We went there and found the demographic OLDER.
The area is just way too busy.
Just my humble opinion......

keithwand
09-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Do a search here. I commented on SCC. My parents lived there from 1992 to 2010 when my mom passed.
2000sf on Symmons Lake. Old old old.
We almost never visited TV because we thought it would be the same. Were we ever wrong.
They paid 140k in 1992; put on an addition and sold it for 180k in 2010.
You get what you pay for and TV is the place. No comparison.

PaPaLarry
09-07-2013, 05:17 AM
To me personally, no comparison. I love The Villages and it's scenery, it's people, it's fun, the choices of golf, and it's health care, and everything else that makes it so nice here. Oh heck, I just love it here

t fields
09-16-2013, 02:53 PM
just returned from scc on a "lifestyle package" , there is no comparison, hands down. one restaurant in one club house, it was ok,not great. only saw a few golf carts milling around the area, shopping is terrible. they only have fast food restaurants only!!! there is no square or social areas, besides no movie theaters, entertainment, so I can only say one thing, NOT !! met one couple on golf course, not very friendly, said they lived there 10 years and would never move out of there, ok then, asked them if they heard of the villages, said yes and were told by many that there are no tees times ! I have not encountered any problems, but just occasionally could not find one and usually due to the time I had inquired was a short window of time I could play. after staying there for 2 nights/3day special, they could not touch what we have here!!! so good luck to any one who lives there, or wants to live there, it just was not for us.

Villages PL
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
I went there many years ago when I was in my 50s and it was depressing. I didn't like anything abut it.