PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener issue

thomas47
09-08-2013, 05:37 AM
almost every time I try to open the garage door, either with the remote or the wall control it will not open but only goes up an inch and stops. I lower it and try again and it will finally lift. Does the chain need a silicon spray or is it something else? Any troubleshooting recommendations would be much appreciated.

mulligan
09-08-2013, 05:56 AM
There are adjustments for the motor's resistance both up and down. If too much resistance is met in either direction, the motor will shut off. Simple adjustment. If you don't have the manual, you can get it online. The builder's brand is MVP.

KayakerNC
09-08-2013, 06:31 AM
almost every time I try to open the garage door, either with the remote or the wall control it will not open but only goes up an inch and stops. I lower it and try again and it will finally lift. Does the chain need a silicon spray or is it something else? Any troubleshooting recommendations would be much appreciated.

The sensor on the right (from inside the garage) should show a steady light as the door operates. If it is blinking, you may have a bad electrical connection.

George Bieniaszek
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I had a similar problem and fixed it by spraying WD-40 on the rollers and track. That should be part of your routine maintenance a couple of times per year. Also the poster that talked about the sensor lights being a steady light is right on. It may have accidently been kicked or otherwise moved and that will affect the operation of your door. Check it and adjust until you have a steady light. Adjusting the door opener to add force or amount of travel should be done in small adjustments, like a half turn of the screw.

zcaveman
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Romac has a garage door tune-up for about $75. Give them a call and let them check out the entire system.

One of these days that door will not open with the car and cart inside and you will be in a real bind.

Z

logdog
09-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I had a similar problem with the door not always closing. The fix was a simple adjustment to the motor sensitivity. The owner's manual tells you which screw controls opening and closing and which direction to turn it.

Remember, you can always disconnect the door from the motor and raise or lower manually. Good to know in case of a power outage.

DangeloInspections
09-08-2013, 02:56 PM
If you don't mind may I just add that it is NOT a good idea to spray lubrication on the rollers. Most all rollers nowadays and in The Villages are the newer, better nylon rollers. They have sealed bearing in them and if you lubricate the track, etc, the rollers may slide rather then roll, thus causing a flat spot on the roller. When the roller starts to roll again once the lube gets worn out or the track gets a bit dirty, the rollers will go "thump, thump" and will need to be replaced.

It is of course good to lubricate the hinges and keep the track clean, but not lubed.
With all the moving parts and of course how often it is used, it is wise to have regular maintenance performed of your garage doors annually.

One should also know how to use the disconnect pull rope to open the door, so if the electricity goes out and you need to leave, you will not be stuck without your car.

Frank

asianthree
09-08-2013, 06:24 PM
If you don't mind may I just add that it is NOT a good idea to spray lubrication on the rollers. Most all rollers nowadays and in The Villages are the newer, better nylon rollers. They have sealed bearing in them and if you lubricate the track, etc, the rollers may slide rather then roll, thus causing a flat spot on the roller. When the roller starts to roll again once the lube gets worn out or the track gets a bit dirty, the rollers will go "thump, thump" and will need to be replaced.

It is of course good to lubricate the hinges and keep the track clean, but not lubed.
With all the moving parts and of course how often it is used, it is wise to have regular maintenance performed of your garage doors annually.

One should also know how to use the disconnect pull rope to open the door, so if the electricity goes out and you need to leave, you will not be stuck without your car.

Frank

always great info frank

thomas47
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Romac has a garage door tune-up for about $75. Give them a call and let them check out the entire system.

One of these days that door will not open with the car and cart inside and you will be in a real bind.

Z

Thanks this sounds like the best road to take. Get the door tuned up and find out what to do next time.

PaPaLarry
09-14-2013, 06:46 AM
I had that problem, and it was the sensor. Romac fixed the issue with new sensor

thomas47
09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
well it turns out that my sticking garage door wasn't caused by the sensors or spraying w40 on any rollers, it seems that the rubber strip along the bottom of the door was sticking to my newly painted driveway, along with some help from the summer sun. Tried spraying it with cooking oil, but good old Vaseline seems to have solved the problem. Thanks to Ryan O'cull Garage Doors Inc for scoping out this problem in 2 minutes