PDA

View Full Version : Hope over Violence

Golfingnut
09-09-2013, 02:49 AM
One more example of the Middle East wishing to talk. Iran has voted out hate and voted in hope.

Is Iran coming in from the cold? Hints pile up as new president prepares for NYC trip - World News (http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/08/20339435-is-iran-coming-in-from-the-cold-hints-pile-up-as-new-president-prepares-for-nyc-trip?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1)

The cowboy attitude of let's attack and kill can be overcome if given time and encouragement. We must stop being the worlds policeman and religious guide. Respect for human rights will always win out over an armies force and a religious leaders well intended but often misguided sermon.

Madelaine Amee
09-09-2013, 04:29 AM
One more example of the Middle East wishing to talk. Iran has voted out hate and voted in hope.

Is Iran coming in from the cold? Hints pile up as new president prepares for NYC trip - World News (http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/08/20339435-is-iran-coming-in-from-the-cold-hints-pile-up-as-new-president-prepares-for-nyc-trip?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1)

The cowboy attitude of let's attack and kill can be overcome if given time and encouragement. We must stop being the worlds policeman and religious guide. Respect for human rights will always win out over an armies force and a religious leaders well intended but often misguided sermon.

:smiley:Thanks for posting this interesting article. I have to believe that things will change, slowly, but change must come.

Teeitup
09-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Let's hope that the real leader of Iran, the Ayatollah, will allow more moderate and less radical actions and rhetoric.

quirky3
09-09-2013, 06:47 AM

"Amen" to that!!

murray607
09-09-2013, 10:30 AM

These newer leaders, Rouhani and Zarif certainly appear to have a goal of more liberalization and opening meaningful dialogue with the West.
Let us hope it both prevails and endures.

billethkid
09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Cowboy attitude? I guess as a cowboy I would be offended by the reference.

btk

Monkei
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Things appear to be changing, Russia has just issued a statement asking Syria to turn over all chem weapons, Syria appears to be agreeing. Glad to know there is still some hope and change out there in th Middle East.

ilovetv
09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Huh???

"Iran's new president has backed the regime of Syria's embattled leader Bashar Assad, saying no force in the world would be able to shake their decades-old alliance.

Hassan Rouhani's comments came as Syrian troops and rebels fought some of the fiercest battles in the mountains of the coastal province of Latakia, an Assad stronghold.

Mr Rouhani made the comments during a meeting in the Iranian capital Tehran with Syrian prime minister Wael al-Halqi, Syria's state news agency SANA said.

Syria has been Tehran's strongest ally in the Arab world since Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution and Iran has been one of Assad's staunchest backers since Syria's crisis began.

Tehran is believed to have supplied Assad's government with billions since the country's crisis began in March 2011. Iran-supported Hezbollah also has sent fighters into Syria to bolster an offensive by Assad forces.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran aims to strengthen its relations with Syria and will stand by it in facing all challenges,” SANA quoted Mr Rouhani as saying in a report from Tehran. “The deep, strategic and historic relations between the people of Syria and Iran ... will not be shaken by any force in the world.”

Mr Rouhani was elected in June and was endorsed by the country's supreme leader on Saturday, allowing him to begin acting as president. He was sworn in yesterday."

Iran's new president Hassan Rouhani vows to support Syrian regime as president Assad vows to crush rebels with 'iron fist' - Middle East - World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/irans-new-president-hassan-rouhani-vows-to-support-syrian-regime-as-president-assad-vows-to-crush-rebels-with-iron-fist-8745857.html)

Bucco
09-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Hope is great and wonderful and I hope all the wishes of the OP come true.

Just be wary of whom you trust, and those we are speaking of have lied and conned us in the past. I find no reason to believe any of them. ACTIONS say much more than pretty words.

billethkid
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
in the recent years there seems to be an "attitude" (for lack of a better term) that as long as a given subject/problem/issue is addressed in an announcement or speech.....the subject/problem/issue has been dealt with.

All one has to do is take note of the same problems that continue to plague this country, that have been addressed (with the "attitude")....they still exist and in many cases have worsened...immigration....health care...energy independence to name a few.

Any connectivity or follow up to actions being/been taken to measure progress is never, ever addressed. This "atitude" has been responsible for attracting many votes in the recent nation wide elections. I would think by now that very many constituents, and I don't care which party, have noted the pattern and are now, finally with the issue regarding Syria, are not buying it anymore.

btk

rubicon
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Color me a skeptic but Rouhani is in power only because the Ayatollal Ali Khamenei personally chose him. People will never learn. Clearly Iran is playing the political game. if anyone really believes these guys then I need to talk to you about a bridge in Brooklyn.......Iran and Syria will continue down this path to keep the UN and the rest of the world at bay.

American's mistakenly believe since they are free then everyone else must be too. Those oppressed Iranians and Syrians must really feel helpless because we have people in power who are either uncaring or naïve.

My reaction to Rouhani would be "do you think I just fell out of a tree"...because we are way way pass any diplomatic discussions and to continue in that direction only encourages them to continue this charade.:rant-rave:

buggyone
09-09-2013, 05:58 PM

While the president is more more moderate than the previous one, the a lot Allantolah has the ultimate veto power making the predicincy more symbolic.

donb9006
09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Color me a skeptic but Rouhani is in power only because the Ayatollal Ali Khamenei personally chose him. People will never learn. Clearly Iran is playing the political game. if anyone really believes these guys then I need to talk to you about a bridge in Brooklyn.......Iran and Syria will continue down this path to keep the UN and the rest of the world at bay.

American's mistakenly believe since they are free then everyone else must be too. Those oppressed Iranians and Syrians must really feel helpless because we have people in power who are either uncaring or naïve.

My reaction to Rouhani would be "do you think I just fell out of a tree"...because we are way way pass any diplomatic discussions and to continue in that direction only encourages them to continue this charade.:rant-rave:

Naivety goes both ways. We're being played just as they are. You're being deceived too...

Villages PL
09-10-2013, 12:50 PM

I think you very likely got it right. Rouhani is in power for PR reasons, a delaying tactic so they can get the time they need to complete their building of nuclear weapons.

Will we be suckered once again by the prospects for "hope and change"?

NotGolfer
09-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Read the books authored (non-fiction) by Joel Rosenberg. You can google him for his credentials..