PDA

View Full Version : New tax on fishing gear

Bay Kid
09-12-2013, 08:37 AM
I was told that there is a new tax in Obamacare that adds a 10% hidden tax on fishing rods, lures, etc. Can this be true?

zcaveman
09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
There is a Snopes article out about a 2.3% excise tax. Is that what you are talking about?

If so, it is not true. see snopes.com: Medical Device Excise Tax (http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp)

Z

Monkei
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Some people will bash obamacare without checking facts, Yet it is amazing to do a quick search and actually find some reputable sources claiming it to be true. I doubt that 98 percent of the negatives thing posted about obamacare are even true, but they read it somewhere on the Internet so it must be true.

Here is the closing statement from Snopes

"Some readers have incorrectly interpreted the listing of federal excise taxes on forms of sport fishing equipment, archery equipment, tires, coal, and gas guzzlers in Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510 as evidence that those items are now being taxed as medical devices. This interpretation is incorrect: those items are all subject to excise taxes that were enacted well prior to, and have nothing to do with, the excise tax on medical devices created by the PPACA. The excise taxes on sport fishing equipment, for example, were enacted in the 1950s through the Sport Fish Restoration Act, and the excise tax on archery equipment was enacted in 1975 to help support the Wildlife Restoration Program.
Read more at snopes.com: Medical Device Excise Tax (http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp#Mgj2Hud8SiB514Od.99)

KayakerNC
09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Why do some folks think it is necessary to re-post their spam emails on this forum? :duck:

TheVillageChicken
09-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Why do some folks think it is necessary to re-post their spam emails on this forum? :duck:

Are you expecting an answer from someone who does that, I can't help. If you are willing to take an answer from one who does not do that, but thinks they have all the answers, then I'm your huckleberry.

The strength (R), and therefore the potential for proliferation of a rumor will vary with the importance of the subject to the individual concerned (i) times the ambiguity of the evidence pertaining to the topic at hand (a), or R ≈ i × a. Now, Belonging is one of the levels on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, that when unfulfilled will trigger behaviors such as a desire to communicate with and help others. For many people, the computer facilitates the fulfillment of their socialization needs. So that is why some people post the things you ask about on forums...but I am a birdbrain, so I suggest you seek a second opinion.

redwitch
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Why the need to insult and criticize? It was a simple question and was asked and answered.

Monkei
09-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Why the need to insult and criticize? It was a simple question and was asked and answered.

Some people post to make a point in the form of a question. I have no problem with people asking serious questions especially if they even thought the issue was real.

Golfingnut
09-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Hummmmm.....

I think Monkei and red witch are both right. I am so confused.

DonH57
09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Sounds like they will try hook, line, and sinker to tax your fishing habit........