PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in Flower Beds

Paperboy
09-14-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm a snow flake that stays in the Villages for 6 & 1/2 mo. (Nov.-May). My problem is weeds in my flower beds. I had them weeded 6 wks. & need them weeded again. I put down 5 yr. warranty black fabric last yr. & the weeds (Bermuda grass) grows right thru it (I have pine needles on top).
This yr. when I come down I thought I would pull back the pine needles, black fabric & put some PREEN down. THAN put the black fabric on top of the PREEN & ADD ANOTHER LAYER of black fabric (would have 2 layers) & than put pine needles on top.
Any BETTER IDEAS to solve or hinder my weed problem?

jnieman
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
You can have your weeds pulled. Once they are all pulled start fresh by having your landscape person keep up with spraying them with a small squirt bottle of weed killer as they arrive. As long as they keep up with the spritzing weekly you should be weed free.

gomoho
09-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Judy - that is exactly what I do. Every week I am out there sometimes 2-3 times spraying those damn weeds. Bye the way - I had a new bed put in across the entire back of my house. They put the weed fabric down and I immediately had them take it back up when I saw how the water didn't drain through fast enough. I have no weed barrier and a heavy layer of mulch. Out front the house was landscaped by the prior owner and their is fabric and rock and the weeds are worse out there. IMHO the weed barrier is a waste of time and money and makes it next to impossible to plant something especially if you have rock over it.

Donvito
09-30-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm a snow flake that stays in the Villages for 6 & 1/2 mo. (Nov.-May). My problem is weeds in my flower beds. I had them weeded 6 wks. & need them weeded again. I put down 5 yr. warranty black fabric last yr. & the weeds (Bermuda grass) grows right thru it (I have pine needles on top).
This yr. when I come down I thought I would pull back the pine needles, black fabric & put some PREEN down. THAN put the black fabric on top of the PREEN & ADD ANOTHER LAYER of black fabric (would have 2 layers) & than put pine needles on top.

The fabric should only be used when you use stones in the flower bed. When you put fabric down and put mulch on top, you have created the best place for weeds to grow. When the mulch breaks down it stays on top of the fabric instead of going into the soil.

Donvito
05-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Do not use fabric under any mulch. Use fabric under stones only. As the mulch breaks down in stays on top and creates a wonderful place for weeds to grow because it will not go through the fabric. It's a better place for any seeds to germinate than anything you can buy for seeds.

gomoho
05-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately the rocks collect dirt that also is a beautiful spot for weeds to sprout. Weeds are manageable once you get them under control. It's the damn crab grass growing in my beds that makes me crazy.

wholman66
05-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Fabric, stones and round-up..... no mulch of any kind.. been there, done that...

mulligan
05-24-2014, 05:38 AM
Unfortunately the rocks collect dirt that also is a beautiful spot for weeds to sprout. Weeds are manageable once you get them under control. It's the damn crab grass growing in my beds that makes me crazy.

YO, GO that's not crabgrass, that's Zoysia. That is how it grows, horizontally not vertically

folkh
05-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Spray Roundup on the pine needles then add another layer of Preen. Roundup should not hurt shrubs but don't spray directly at shrub base.

gomoho
05-24-2014, 07:03 AM
YO, GO that's not crabgrass, that's Zoysia. That is how it grows, horizontally not vertically

That's what I thought - the lawn guy assured me it's crabgrass - also have it in the yard - it also grows vertically.

disneydreamer
06-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Mix a gallon of vinegar with a cup of powdered borax and 1/2 cup of blue dawn. Cheaper than Round Up (about .40cents to make a spray bottle worth vs. $4) Won't hurt the planet and works like a charm.

casita37
06-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Mix a gallon of vinegar with a cup of powdered borax and 1/2 cup of blue dawn. Cheaper than Round Up (about .40cents to make a spray bottle worth vs. $4) Won't hurt the planet and works like a charm.

It works great, but you need to be careful. It kills all plants, not just weeds and/or grass. I've never added borax, but I do add salt.

Bonnevie
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Does it kill zoysia in the beds?