PDA

View Full Version : Beware Mattress One on 441

kittygilchrist
09-17-2013, 10:42 AM
I cancelled an order with Mattress One way before delivery.
They charged me 20% of the order to cancel.
$380 cancellation fee.

The credit card company has to honor the fee because I signed the policy.

17950 S U.S. Highway 441
Summerfield, FL 34491
Phone: 352.307.3855
Fax: Fax: 352.207.2775

Harleyman
09-17-2013, 11:21 AM
I guess I could understand the 20% if they had already delivered the mattress but I don't understand what grounds they have if it is still in their warehouse. What does the clause say that they are stealing your 20 % with. That's is a crime as far as I am concerned.

buggyone
09-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Did the paperwork you signed have anything about a 20% cancellation fee written on it?

If it did, you agreed to it. If it did not - they cannot charge you.

Check your paperwork. Visit Seniors vs Crime at their office and talk with them. They are good at resolving contract issues. I believe they are still located at the Sheriff's substation on 466 & Morse. Call them to verify that and to check on their hours.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Hours: 10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Phone (352) 689-4600 Ext. 4606

kittygilchrist
09-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Harley,
"all cancellations are subject to a 20% fee."

I had talked to a deaf ear at the corporate office before posting here. After I posted, I made a courtesy call to the store to give employees a heads up; it is their livelihood and I feel sorry about damaging that-they don't make the policies. The manager who answered my call took action and is trying to get a decision from above to not enforce the policy in this case.

I'll post again when I hear back on that. It's a horrible policy, but maybe the manager will be able to restore faith in the 441 location.

Easyrider
09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=kittygilchrist;747360]

The credit card company has to honor the fee because I signed the policy.

Why would we ever sign a contract we totally do not agree with? It is excessive for sure but it is not like it was not explained up front. If they waive it this time why not every time?

kittygilchrist
09-17-2013, 12:03 PM
LOL, Easy, you're right that we should read every word. I have a modicum of trust that such companies as insurance, loans, banks, and retail sales won't stay in business if their fine print is a trap.

billethkid
09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
LOL, Easy, you're right that we should read every word. I have a modicum of trust that such companies as insurance, loans, banks, and retail sales won't stay in business if their fine print is a trap.

The fine print in MOST instances is not intended as a trap. It is intended to cover costs to stop an order in process which could be anywhere from the paper work hasn't gone to the warehouse yet to being on the dock to deliver tomorrow. There is a cost to get everything back to where it belongs. One can argue whether 20% is too much, but it really does not matter if one has signed the contract.

It really is not fair to equate that the company in question is either good or bad based on whether they make a specific exception or not.

Cancellation policies are usually put in place by businesses for good and valid reasons....however most people do not say a word and do not disagree with the policies....until they trigger the fee.....then it becomes the retailers fault.

How many of us from time to time cancel appointments (of any kind)? Some do not ever even call to say they are not coming. Very many business have a cancellation policy with some sort of fee for cancelling depending when, etc.

The average person does not understand, and many do not care, about the financial impact of a cancellation...........until they get charged....unfortunately.

Consider yourself lucky if you get a reprieve and not have to pay the cancellation charge which you agreed to pay upfront.

btk

dillywho
09-17-2013, 02:37 PM

I made a purchase at that same store. The saleslady told me that their delivery schedule was extremely heavy due to the Labor Day sale. I told her that I was not in a hurry and scheduled delivery for several days after their "rush/overload". They did not deliver on the scheduled day nor did they call. The delivery was scheduled for Friday and I finally called them the following Tuesday afternoon to cancel the order. When asked why by the manager, I told him why: "There is absolutely no excuse for not calling. I know that things sometimes happen, but how hard is it to pick up the phone?" He agreed. I went in to the store and signed the cancellation papers.

Now we will see if they charge that 20%. Best not.:mad:

Villages PL
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Kittygilchrist, sorry for your problem. I'll be sure to not ever shop there. I think $380. is way too much. Does it include the salesman's commission and the store's profit? And perhaps the delivery charge?

When I first moved to The Villages about 14 years ago, I bought a mattress and box spring from a small store in leesburg. It was operated by a woman working alone and her son made deliveries in his spare time. That's low overhead! I got a really good deal but I doubt they are still there. I would stay away from the big stores that obviously have high overhead.

Villageswimmer
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM

I agree, Kitty. That's a very unusual and unexpected. Pretty sneaky, I think. Not customer friendly. Thanks for the heads up. I'll skip that store when mattress shopping.

784caroline
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
20% certainly is a hefty penalty to cancel but what would you accept as being reasonable other than "0" cancellation fee! Im sure there is a reason or justification for a fee other than a cost for processing paperwork and changing delivery schedules and routes. Many people come to a store and cancel while continuing to shop for better prices and a high cancellation fee is in place to stop that. ..although I have found it very difficult to compare bedding prices on an apple to apple basis.

The OP never did say(or I missed it) as to why the order was cancelled. $380 is a big cancellation fee and that would be a hard savings to recoup if you wanted to buy bedding in the near future. If you get your money back consider yourself lucky.

DonH57
09-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Actually today there is a mattress on 441. Almost hit the damn thing too!

kittygilchrist
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
So the end of the story is that I got bs'ed by the manager telling me the $380 cancellation fee was due to my using American Express, which he retracted after he learned that I used mastercard.
So, beware of Mattress One, for an outrageous cancellation fee and a manager full of baloney.