PDA

View Full Version : Retiring; Looking for references for Financial Advisor

fishgolf
09-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Well after 40 years with the same company, I am being offered a Voluntary Retirement Package. It's a legal way to get rid of your highly compensated employees. Looking for a Financial Advisor who can also handle the Tax questions. Lots of questions re: 401K and Lump Sum rollover

RayinPenn
10-13-2013, 06:05 AM
my god be careful...only use someone who charges by the hour. Study after study has shown almost all investors who use CFPs actually don't do well. Why? - they put their clients into high cost/ high fee inappropriate investments... better yet - open a swab account and spread it a couple of vanguard index funds and dividend funds veipx, vgi, idv etc ..

l2ridehd
10-13-2013, 06:35 AM
For the tax questions find a CPA not a CFP. And for the 401K rollover use either Vanguard or Fidelity low cost index funds. Call either company and they will help you roll over the 401K to their funds for free.

dewilson58
10-13-2013, 06:50 AM
I agree with CPA, not CFA. I would recommend a larger CPA firm......a firm with an actual tax department, not just two or three guys with a sign. The AICPA (American Institute of CPA's) or the Florida chapter of CPA's can give you a listing of CPA's in your area. Good luck and Enjoy.

KayakerNC
10-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Remember, fee-based is NOT the same as a fee-only adviser.
Fee-only financial advisors have a fiduciary responsibility to you, fee-based advisers are getting commissions from the products they push.

What is the Difference Between a Fee-Only Financial Advisor and a Fee Based Financial Advisor? (http://moneyover55.about.com/od/findingqualifiedadvisors/g/Feeonlyadvisor.htm)