PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about fall??

Happinow
09-21-2013, 03:56 PM
It's that time of year when the seasons are changing, maybe not so much here yet but certain where a lot of us came from. I was just talking to my family back up North and they are apple picking. We have, three that I can count, apple orchards where we could pick our own apples. They also had honey sticks, pies and best of all home made cider donuts. These donuts were hot off the press and it was easy to eat a half dozen on one sitting. They weren't like the donuts in the store....they were smaller and just plain delicious. I remember that they were 8.00/dz and now they are 10.00/dz. ouch! We also had The Adirondack Balloon Festival where about 100 hot air balloons came to town and launched several times over 4 days. A breath taking sight that I will never forget. Anyhow, what so you miss about fall from your home town??

OpusX1
09-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Fall is starting here in NE Ohio. Had to run the furnace last weekend. We are leaving for TV Sept. 30. Can't get here fast enough. I do miss steelhead fishing in Oct. And the leaf colors but would much rather be in TV.

red tail
09-21-2013, 05:22 PM
nothing

delima2000
09-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Fall colors on the trees, visiting apple cider mills and the cool crisp air with the windows open

ilovetv
09-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Nothing.

We have fall here, in Nov. and Dec. but can golf, swim, dance on the squares, etc. with no threat of weather ruining it, and no heating bills of $500-$600 a month. Not buying and dry cleaning winter clothes is a big cost savings too.

DianeM
09-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I miss socks and sweaters and fall leaves and invigorating cooler air that doesn't feel like a wet blanket over your face.

redwitch
09-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I miss making money raking leaves. I felt positively rich when a neighbor would give me $1-5 for that job. Otherwise, don't miss fall at all. While neither Florida nor California have the falls of New England, we do have autumn with the crisper air, the feeling of colder weather coming. In Northern California, we had more evergreens and, thus, no real change of color except hills would go from bright yellow to a light brown and then a verdant green during the winter.

birdawg
09-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Hunting Grouse in NY State Bow hunting Deer in NJ

DianeM
09-21-2013, 07:20 PM
I guess if one comes from northern states sometimes you long for the crispness of fall and the beauty of the trees and pumpkins and harvest.

CFrance
09-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Fall in MI was always a double-edged sword for me. Everything was beautiful, but everything was dying. The marina, that had been so full of boats and activity, empties out to a depressing stillness. After Labor Day the city would start installing snow fencing all along our 2-mile stretch of beach The chilly wind picked back up. The beaches themselves were pretty much empty. The hints of winter to come were even more depressing.

We are back in MI now for a couple of days before leaving on a vacation. it's everything I remember.

I'll take the heat of FL any day over the chilling-off of up north.

gomoho
09-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Hearing the crunch of leaves under my feet and believe it or not the satisfaction of raking all those leaves in the yard. Don't want to do it again, but do have fond memories.

patfla06
09-24-2013, 12:41 PM
The changing color of the leaves and the cold, crisp air.
Miss wearing jeans with sweaters or sweatshirts.
Love and miss the Fall.

Villages PL
09-24-2013, 01:54 PM
NOTHING

Did I say, "NOTHING"? There's "nothing" like the smell of burning leaves. Cough....cough. When I was a kid in CT, I would rake leaves and then burn them in the back yard.

billethkid
09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
NOTHING!!!

And for those who need a fall fix you know where you left it!

btk

skyguy79
09-24-2013, 05:42 PM
There is more than one thing I miss about the general area I came from and I've prepared a short poem to one of those things I've missed for more years and more reasons than my simply living down here now.

The Adirondacks

Here’s to the Adirondacks, memories calling, leaves falling, leaves falling,
To where they would scatter with views that did flatter within memories’ core;
With breath taking views that chase away blues and make a heart sing,
And a soul with a fervor for being outdoor, breathing fresh air and wanting for more;
And a desire to enter nature’s door, breathing fresh air and wanting for more,
Hoping for more, longing for more! ~Skyguy79

hoopsterdad
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
nothing at all, 42 years in wyoming falls took care of that.

twinklesweep
09-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Fall is starting here in NE Ohio. Had to run the furnace last weekend. We are leaving for TV Sept. 30. Can't get here fast enough. I do miss steelhead fishing in Oct. And the leaf colors but would much rather be in TV.

Nothing whatsoever!!! And the part of the quote above [emphasis mine] is good enough reason for me....

asianthree
09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
oh come on are you sure you don't want me to send you some leaves..that are red and pink and yellow and purple and orange..they are so pretty..

shcisamax
09-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I always felt an excitement in the air. NY and the suburbs are in high gear once mid September hits. Of course, once the holidays are over, everyone goes into the dreaded "winter doldrums".

Pturner
09-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I love fall here in TV. It comes much later but lasts nearly all winter!

PatandBob
09-24-2013, 09:07 PM

ilovetv
09-24-2013, 09:08 PM
I love fall here in TV. It comes much later but lasts nearly all winter!

Bingo!

Madelaine Amee
09-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Nothing, I really like endless summer.

DianeM
09-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Lovely!

nitehawk
09-25-2013, 07:26 AM
I really feel bad for all of you that dont miss the fall season up north -- dont worry there will be 4 or 5 frosts in tv this winter so you will not miss out on the cold mornings and mid 50s days

Ecuadog
09-25-2013, 08:06 AM
NOTHING

Did I say, "NOTHING"? There's "nothing" like the smell of burning leaves. Cough....cough. When I was a kid in CT, I would rake leaves and then burn them in the back yard.

To this day, if I smell burning leaves, I am instantly transported 60 years into the past, to my grandparents' home in Connecticut. We would rake the leaves into big piles and the youngsters would jump into the piles. Then we would burn them. Apple cider... Warm apple pie with a slice of "rat" cheese (sharp cheddar)... Good memories.

Cedwards38
09-25-2013, 08:36 AM
The glorius colors of the forested mountains while driving through Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee.