PDA

View Full Version : How a little bit can help by buying made in America

billethkid
09-27-2013, 04:13 PM
the video is self explanatory....it gives a perspective how a little effort may have an impact.

we won't know unless we try.

I am a "Made in America" and there are many things I do without if an item is not. There are some that none of us have a choice.....all the rest.....we do.

I do my part...I won't buy ANY foods that are not made in America......yes I know I probably eat imported food in a restaurant....that makes up the smallest percent possible of all the food we buy.

I am doing my part by passing it along....if it survives!

btk

Villages PL
09-27-2013, 04:34 PM
I try to do the same. I mostly avoid buying food that is grown in foreign countries. Also, I buy soaps, razors and shaving creams made in the U.S.. My car was made in the U.S. too.

tranceminder
09-27-2013, 04:56 PM
If it looks like patriotism, walks like patriotism, talks like patriotism, then it must be so, NOT ... buyer beware of those goods made here that are not patriotic ... like cars made by teamsters, afl-cio .... most corrupt, anti american group that ever robbed the American little guy. Twinkies just one more small example.

Vinny
09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Define made in America? All or most US brands use foreign parts. Also, many forget about the large number of jobs, import and export provide. From the transportation companies to the salesmen in every store that sells good either wholly made or partially made of imported parts. Most Americans are totally unaware of the large number of people who make their living off of imports. Heck, there are special laws so that American car manufactures can have their cars assembled in Canada and parts made in Mexico.

Do not confuse the Made in America label with wholly made in the US with all US parts. I was in the international trade business and know most items have foreign made parts in them, even Harley Davidson bikes. Most do not know what a foreign trade zone is and yet every US and most Japanese car makers are producing cars in them in the US. And guess what, these zones make it more attractive to use imported goods. All curtesy of our Federal Government.

Let's not forget that we have a global economy. Know what happens when imports are cut out and 100% US made goods and labor are used? The higher cost of labor and parts means higher prices. People are not willing to pay high prices to protect someone else's job. The marketplace has already spoken and they want inexpensive imports rather than costly made in US products. Many do not realize that almost everything they own has imported parts in it even if assembled in the US.

Lastly, keep in mind that importing finished products and parts have saved a lot of jobs, even in the auto industry. Without them, many companies would have had to shut their doors because they cannot produce their products cheap enough to compete in a global marketplace. The auto and electronics industries are just two examples. We all want higher wages and cheaper goods but higher wages means higher cost of wholly made in the US goods which we cannot afford unless we make more money. It is a vicious circle. Us old timers need to recognize that we are in a global economy and those unable to compete in it will die. We may not like it but it is the reality we live in.

janmcn
09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Throw your Barilla Pasta in the garbage and never buy it ever again. Why do these homophobic CEO's insist on airing their social views? Hopefully, after this boycott they will go out of business.

tranceminder
09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Might want to give a few moments to this enlightening experience that has awakened students over the past 20 years. With pad and pencil in hand,in the place where you live, stand in one room at a time and look around, take inventory .... write down the names of products that you see that are "made in America". Be amazed by how little you write down! That's what Americans have chosen. Why? You decide.

Vinny
09-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Might want to give a few moments to this enlightening experience that has awakened students over the past 20 years. With pad and pencil in hand,in the place where you live, stand in one room at a time and look around, take inventory .... write down the names of products that you see that are "made in America". Be amazed by how little you write down! That's what Americans have chosen. Why? You decide.

Last year year one of the news stations removed all items in someone's home that had foreign parts in them. When done, the house was empty, furniture and all. The federal government has lowered the standards to qualify for the made in US label.

tranceminder
09-27-2013, 06:17 PM
So sad that the America we Seniors belonged to from childhood is not the America we live in now in our later years.

billethkid
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
In my original post I forgot to include the video link....here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_M#action=share

btk

jhrc4
09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Very, Nobel, Very, Very, Nobel. However reality check, drive thru Pennsylvania, Detroit, the " UNIONS " are directly responsible for all of the terrible loss of jobs and the ghettos.
The Unions are responsible more recently for " Hostess " going the same way as the above only to be rescued by a non union company. Thank Goodness now that's America, a good ole Hostess cupcake, or a Twinkie in the lunch box mmmmmgood!! It even taste better when it's Non Union.

Buy American ?? Need convincing OK, ...Drive thru PA, Detroit and, many, many other cities , and the Union fat cats ??? Not me, no it was all the so called greedy entrepreneurs fault.

Meanwhile the Union Fat Cat's are jetting around flying first class to their next conference at the " Ritz ". Give me a break.

Indydealmaker
09-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Very, Nobel, Very, Very, Nobel. However reality check, drive thru Pennsylvania, Detroit, the " UNIONS " are directly responsible for all of the terrible loss of jobs and the ghettos.
The Unions are responsible more recently for " Hostess " going the same way as the above only to be rescued by a non union company. Thank Goodness now that's America, a good ole Hostess cupcake, or a Twinkie in the lunch box mmmmmgood!! It even taste better when it's Non Union.

Buy American ?? Need convincing OK, ...Drive thru PA, Detroit and, many, many other cities , and the Union fat cats ??? Not me, no it was all the so called greedy entrepreneurs fault.

Meanwhile the Union Fat Cat's are jetting around flying first class to their next conference at the " Ritz ". Give me a break.

Don't forget that most American companies that move jobs overseas are simply reacting to the constant pressure from shareholders for more and more profit and ever escalating stock prices. Guess who are one of the largest groups of shareholders: Union Pension Funds.

KEVIN & JOSIE
09-27-2013, 07:02 PM

The unions are responsible for the elimination of sweat shops, 40 hour work weeks, paid sick time, paid vacation time, medical benefits, pension plans....why don't AMERICA get rid of all labor laws and hire children to work for pennies a day. Better yet, why don't we take our senior work force and kick them out on the street with no pension, health insurance, or social security payment. If corporate America had it's way this would happen! Are Unions perfect, No! But we have all been better for labor laws and benefits which started with the Unions. Amazing how the evil union workers at Costco demand a living wage, and surprise, Costco is one of the leading retailers with employee satisfaction and profit.

Rickg
09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
The unions are responsible for the elimination of sweat shops, 40 hour work weeks, paid sick time, paid vacation time, medical benefits, pension plans....why don't AMERICA get rid of all labor laws and hire children to work for pennies a day. Better yet, why don't we take our senior work force and kick them out on the street with no pension, health insurance, or social security payment. If corporate America had it's way this would happen! Are Unions perfect, No! But we have all been better for labor laws and benefits which started with the Unions. Amazing how the evil union workers at Costco demand a living wage, and surprise, Costco is one of the leading retailers with employee satisfaction and profit.

:clap2::clap2:

Unions built this country. I'm not afraid to say it either! Unions raise the standard of living for all, not just the union members.

This thread should be interesting.

mrfixit
09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Throw your Barilla Pasta in the garbage and never buy it ever again. Why do these homophobic CEO's insist on airing their social views? Hopefully, after this boycott they will go out of business.

Maybe, just maybe, for the same reason other people air their social views.

In my humble opinion........
........................Guido Barilla should be able to freely express his Beliefs.

The workers in the Ames, Iowa.. and ... Avon, New York Barilla production facilities
are the ones who will suffer if there is a boycott of Barilla products in the USA.

Others who would suffer would include....

......farmers in the Midwest who produce the grain used at Barilla facilities.
......... truckers moving the 54 Thousand boxes per hour coming out Ames.
......truckers moving 235 Million pounds of product/yr from Avon New York.
.......people employed at box manufacturers dependent on Barilla contracts.
............those at the fuel stops servicing the trucks and workers mentioned.
.................................................. ........................and on and on and on.

........... 25% of the USA market for pasta comes from Barilla...........
...................................over 80% of Retail food outlets carry Barilla.

............Barilla is "privately held" and has been in business for 136 years.

ilovetv
09-27-2013, 08:34 PM

I'd agree with most of this, BUT......sweat shops, 60 hour work weeks, no paid sick time, no paid vacation time, no medical benefits, no pension plans.......are EXACTLY what illegal hispanic (and other nationalities) seek and risk their lives to get, by running thru the desert and being chased by ICE police dogs, venomous snakes, no water, wild animals, and other fugitive criminals. And they succeed in getting and responsibly showing up for work at those "sweat shop" no-benefits, slave wage jobs.

And meanwhile, I have never once heard union leaders or their politicians say one, single word about the illegals' acceptance of $7 or $8/hour with NO benefits and THAT ruining the middle class "living wage" and middle class standard of living.

Unions and their politicians seem to have no interest in eliminating THOSE awful working conditions and using people as paid slave labor.

As I see it, the unions are no longer interested in eliminating sweat shops in that sense, maybe because it's a good voting bloc to get into the union ranks, by simply handing a card as a "vote" from an unidentified person who has no legal documents to prove their identity.

Bucco
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Maybe, just maybe, for the same reason other people air their social views.

In my humble opinion........
........................Guido Barilla should be able to freely express his Beliefs.

The workers in the Ames, Iowa.. and ... Avon, New York Barilla production facilities
are the ones who will suffer if there is a boycott of Barilla products in the USA.

Others who would suffer would include....

......farmers in the Midwest who produce the grain used at Barilla facilities.
......... truckers moving the 54 Thousand boxes per hour coming out Ames.
......truckers moving 235 Million pounds of product/yr from Avon New York.
.......people employed at box manufacturers dependent on Barilla contracts.
............those at the fuel stops servicing the trucks and workers mentioned.
.................................................. ........................and on and on and on.

........... 25% of the USA market for pasta comes from Barilla...........
...................................over 80% of Retail food outlets carry Barilla.

............Barilla is "privately held" and has been in business for 136 years.

Amazing the sheer total hate we have in this country for people who hold a differing opinion than our own. Recent years see so much hate if you offer a different opinion. The man simply said he would only use the traditional family in his advertising. It seems our country is now...no discussion, no differing views...if you disagree,we will find a way to get you or wish you failure.

How do people filled with such venom in their veins and contempt survive ?

On the real subject of the thread, recall NAFTA.....Clinton pushed it through...unions opposed it, but still voted for him, supported him, and to this day vote his party. I am hard pressed to defend unions based on what they DO...what they say is wonderful. Samuel Gompers did good with the creation of the unions, but they became a political arm, and if you look at their structure they are big corporations.

We have a system that's wants companies to do what it takes to make a profit for the stockholders (IRA holders, etc) pass laws to assist in that (NAFTA) and then vilify them for doing within the law what they are supposed to do.

This country used to support hard work and pride in American products...we now worship at the altar of political parties.....now, unions are a voting block...NOT a movement.

Vernster
09-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Agree 100%. It was on sale today in Publix and I chose the higher priced brand.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm as patriotic as anyone, and I feel that what made this country great was the free enterprise system and competition. If American manufacturers are making the best product at the best price then I will buy them. To do otherwise is to encourage them to either make inferior products or charge too much for them. Part of the competition is to figure out how to make quality products at an affordable price.
I don't think that we are helping this country or any of it's businesses by buying things simply because they are made in America.

ilovetv
09-27-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm as patriotic as anyone, and I feel that what made this country great was the free enterprise system and competition. If American manufacturers are making the best product at the best price then I will buy them. To do otherwise is to encourage them to either make inferior products or charge too much for them. Part of the competition is to figure out how to make quality products at an affordable price.
I don't think that we are helping this country or any of it's businesses by buying things simply because they are made in America.

Right.....if everybody bought crappy quality stuff only because it's made in USA, it tells the junk manufacturers that their junk is just fine and they have no incentive to shape up.

Would the GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles be as fuel efficient and safe as they are in recent years if Honda and Toyota had not come into the market?

I remember the V-8 gas hogs of the 1970's that could pass anything on the road except a gas pump. They deserved the competition and are better for it.

That being said, I do enjoy and look for American made products...reasons to feel proud of our country and workers and work ethic.

KEVIN & JOSIE
09-28-2013, 01:07 AM
All I can say is this....if we don't bring jobs back to this country soon, where a family can earn a living wage to buy a home, buy a car, buy everyday living needs...this country may very well look like the ghost town of Detroit. If the union jobs were so evil, why do I remember the USA as the world leader in standard of living for the middle class...neighbors buying a new car every couple of years...working double shifts. Where I grew up in Baltimore, I still remember my neighbors who either worked at Bethlehem Steel, General Motors Baltimore Division, or Western Electric. All of these living wage jobs are gone. The area where they were now looks like a ghetto instead of the proud middle class it once was. As a nation, we no longer produce products, are no longer a leader, but rely on foreign countries for products and services, produced by slave labor that this country managed to eliminate. The problem is not the proud American worker who wants a decent standard of living for his family....it is the corporate pigs and CEOs making millions in compensation of the backs of others. Maybe the time has come for Americans to united and organize companies...maybe Walmart should be shamed into paying its workers enough wages to keep them off of public assistance. These people are our American family and friends...they deserve better.

Easyrider
09-28-2013, 01:13 AM

Totally disagree, does the CEO not have a right to his opinion or is that right only reserved to those that agree with your opinion, NOT...What name would you call yourself since you have one for him...

Don't buy it if you disagree but he has a right to his opinion just like anyone else and he has a right to express it..Probably wants to air his view because he is constantly bombarded with the opposing views.....

KEVIN & JOSIE
09-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Totally disagree, does the CEO not have a right to his opinion or is that right only reserved to those that agree with your opinion, NOT...What name would you call yourself since you have one for him...

Don't buy it if you disagree but he has a right to his opinion just like anyone else and he has a right to express it..Probably wants to air his view because he is constantly bombarded with the opposing views.....

:agree: