PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tom Clancy

chuckinca
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
From Yahoo News:

"The New York Times is also confirming:
Tom Clancy's publisher confirms to the NYT that he died last night in a hospital in Baltimore."

"According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66."

What a shocker!

BarryRX
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Author Tom Clancy has died at the age of 66.

Taltarzac725
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Author Tom Clancy has died at the age of 66.

Sorry to hear that. He was one of the few celebrities who actively questioned me about my fight for respect for survivors' of crimes right to access to practical information through libraries. I had a nice exchange with him via e-mails after writing him about my experiences up through 2003 or so. Most of the other celebrities I wrote never responded. A lot of them have or had e-mail addresses you could use.

Bucco
10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
From Yahoo News:

"The New York Times is also confirming:
Tom Clancy's publisher confirms to the NYT that he died last night in a hospital in Baltimore."

"According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66."

What a shocker!

Great author.....MANY MANY good reads. Non fiction is my thing but this guy could weave a story and grab you.

RIP

10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Just a note... there were two identically titled threads that have now been merged into one.

RIP Tom Clancy

Bavarian
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
He started out as an insurance salesman over in Prince Frederick, spent evenings in the bars on Solomons talking to the pilots from Pax River. Used their real exploits as fodder for his books.

He died too young.

Karron
10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
So sorry...
my husband had loved him!
Karron

Villages PL
10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I had never heard of him before this but I'm curious to know the cause of death. It doesn't really matter but as long as we are on this subject, I don't think it hurts to ask.

kellyjam
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Just read a comment in Newsday on-line regarding this story and a person wrote that he loved his video games but never read any of his books. A sign of the times and his loss, as he missed out on a great author. RIP Mr Clancy

manaboutown
10-02-2013, 12:39 PM
He was a wonderful author. I especially appreciated his attention to detail. All I could find was that he died after a "brief illness" at Johns Hopkins.

BobnBev
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
By far, my favorite author. I am reading one of his many books right now.
If you've ever seen the movie, "Hunt for Red October", he wrote that book.

RIP my friend, you will be missed.

redwitch
10-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I've always loved his books and wait anxiously for his latest. Sad to think there will no more "latest." RIP

GaryW
10-03-2013, 04:05 AM
I was stationed in Iwakuni Japan when "The Hunt for Red October" came out. Started to read it while on my midnight shift. Could not put it down. I ended up writing a letter to Tom C. thru his publishing company telling how much I appreciated the book and his knowledge of the Military and how he got the smallest details correct.

I ended up like 3 months later getting a very nice letter from him thanking me for my service to the county. Then he explained to me how amazed he was with the military and how he had more books coming. Since that time I have been a Big Tom C. fan. Great Guy!!!!

Taltarzac725
10-03-2013, 06:39 AM
I was stationed in Iwakuni Japan when "The Hunt for Red October" came out. Started to read it while on my midnight shift. Could not put it down. I ended up writing a letter to Tom C. thru his publishing company telling how much I appreciated the book and his knowledge of the Military and how he got the smallest details correct.

I ended up like 3 months later getting a very nice letter from him thanking me for my service to the county. Then he explained to me how amazed he was with the military and how he had more books coming. Since that time I have been a Big Tom C. fan. Great Guy!!!!

I got that same impression from my experience with him when I posted this on the Famous People You Have Met thread on August 08, 2007. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/80349-post27.html

César Estrada Chávez, Ralph Nader, Walter Mondale while I was a law student (Class of 1989) then assistant librarian at the University of Minnesota Law School from 1986 through 1991. These people were giving speeches at the U of MN Law School and had various informal meetings with law students and others afterwards and Walter Mondale's son was in the law school one year behind (Class of 1990) me while I was there.

Shared e-mails and/or letters with Elie Wiesel, Tom Clancy, someone claiming to be "George Clooney" and a few others not as famous about activities for survivors of various kinds of crimes I have been involved in and hurdles faced in these since leaving the University of Minnesota Law Library's employ in mid-1991.