PDA

View Full Version : Garmin NUVI GPS map update for 2008 includes more of The Villages

dadspet
08-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Just in case anyone out there has a Garmin NUVI GPS, the latest map update 2008 (released last week ) now includes address south of Rt 466. Previous version 8 didn't.

bamafan
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I just bought a house in the village of Duval. I have a garmin, do the new maps go out to Duval. I have been waiting to buy new maps until they included more TV Thanks

bogeygolfer
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Just downloaded the update and they are still a couple of years behind the times. Didn't even have The Villages Hospital on the data base. Oh well :dontknow:

dadspet
08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
just bought a house in the village of Duval. I have a garmin, do the new maps go out to Duval. I have been waiting to buy new maps until they included more TV Thanks

I bit difficult to check location on the NUVI unless you have a specific address so I checked some streets in that area with random address and of the 4 I checked (Backwate Way, Rosepale Way, Walterboro Ln and Suffield) They all seem to be included in the update so it looks like DUVAL is covered now. BTW I was told by Garmin Tech support (very good support) if you want to check if a street is covered go to MAPQUEST and check the address. MAPQUESTS uses the same maps as Garmin.

There as another post about downloading something and finding the maps yrs behind and not even finding the Villages Reginal Hospital. I checked my NUVI and the hospital is there along with the streets in Deval so it looks like the MAPS are very up to date in my NUVI. You might want to check which version of maps you actually have by going to

Settings > Map > Map Detail >
City Navigator North Armerica NT 2008 is the latest version.

Previous version was Version 8 and it had most of the villages north of 466 on it. I didn't check the hospital in that version but other items of interest were there I know. The Maps updates come by DVD that you get from Garmin. The Map update from DVD takes a couple of hours to install on the NUVI - its fairly large. The updates you download from their web site are corrections to the code within the NUVI that provide directions from the MAP information (they are free and small but they aren't map updates). Since I recently purchased my NUVI I was able to get a Map Update DVD from Garmin when I told them it was new and not yet registered and it didn't contain locations South of 466 in the Villages that I wanted. They were well aware of the lack of maps in this area and agreed to send me the update free (normal cost is $75 now). So if your NUVI is relatively new you might also be able to get a free update.

bamafan
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the info my home is on Day Lily Run. I did not know that Mapquest uses the same maps I will check. May be time to update my Garmin Thanks again :bigthumbsup:

bogeygolfer
08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Finally called Garmin today re the outdated maps on the Nuvi 350. If you purchased at Nuvi after May 1st they will send you the $75 update free of charge on a CD/DVD. Just call their 800 number and they will ask for the serial # and you have to email a copy of your invoice. I purchased mine on June 26th. Glad I read the post re updates.
Thanks...

rballruss
08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I am looking to purchase a Garmin NUVI GPS. Any suggestions on the model that I should get? Iknow that price determines features, but I do want bluetooth capability.

Villages Kahuna
08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
...MSN has no coverage in TV. I think that eliminates the Nuvi 680 from consideration. That was one big feature difference from the 660. Hey! They just saved you $100!!

rballruss
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks....gonna look that model up now.

jrose
08-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Garmin just released a new model this month. It's the Nuvi 260 and might not be available in the stores just yet. It includes version 2008. Nice compact unit with the antenna built in (no-flip). Check out their web site. I'll need one for the ride down next year. Maybe they might have the wide version by then Nuvi 260W.

rballruss
08-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I think I am going to go with the NUVI 360. Anyone have that model?

dadspet
08-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I have the NUVI 350 and love it. Size (3.5" screen) is great you can put it in your pocket when you leave the car (important I think) which would be harder with the larger models and the size doesn't get in the way of your view as much as the larger 4.3" models. The feature I really like is the text to voice feature that the 350/360/6xx models have. With text to voice the NUVI not only calls out the turn but also tells you what hwy or street it is and this to me is a great feature to have since at times you aren't sure if the right turn in 100 feet is on street x or the one right after that street y . The new 2xx models don't have Text to voice I don't think. The new Nuvi 350 or 360 should have the 2008 maps but as far as I know there is no way to tell from the box. If you want blue tooth you need the 360 model - the 350 doesn't have it.

F16 1UB
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a Garmin NUVI 200W refurbished. Same warranty as new for $199. Anyone have any recommendations/opinions?

chacam
02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I got a new 200 at Amazon.com for $179.

golfnut
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I have the Nuvi 200 and it works great, bought it at Best Buy on sale b4 xmas for $169.

Reggie
02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I just checked the Mapquest web site and it does have Duval but Amelia and Hadley are still missing.

F16 1UB
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Just got off the phone with Garmin about update (9) and asked them if it showed specific streets in The Villages of Hadley. It did not so the Tech asked me to go to their web site Garmin.com and fill out a map error report. This assists the cartographer in updating the area just in case the planning council failed to do so. At least that's what Garmin told me. So until the Villages of Hadley gets updated I'll be driving around aimlessly. UGH !

Never lost with Full Tank of Gas or Fully Charged Batteries

F16

Golf-Tinker
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Mapquest lags Google Maps in showing details of villages near 466A. TomTom might be a better choice.

mcelheny
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
In the market so what should I buy?? I still live in the 70's so this is all new to me. I want to drive places without getting lost. :dontknow:

By the way-I love pugs and my brother-in-law flew F-!6s.

pili
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
We purchased our Garmin in January 2008. Will they send me the updates? We purchased in Hemingway and were told by sales rep our address is not in Garmin's database. Are there only certain models that get the updates? Thanks.

pili

The Great Fumar
06-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Just bought a Garmin Nuvi 360 two weeks ago..........It has all the village updates south of 466 ............paid 259 for it over tiger supplies on the internet.....It is a fabulous machine that directs you by street names and with bluetooth technology that picks up your cell phone in the glove comp. even though its turned off.......you can drive and call your sister sarah while keeping both hands on the wheel........Its great , don't know how I got along without one........Will take you anywhere in the villages........Its worth the price just to get around Orlando...........

nuvi 360 fumar

bigphil020
06-06-2008, 11:24 PM
What about tom tom ?

chuckinca
06-08-2008, 03:40 AM
The little woman just bought me the Garmin 760 for Dad's Day. I believe it is the top of the Garmin Line.

Costco has it on sale for the next few days at $349. It had an original MSRP of $845 or so.

You can go to the Costco website and order it.

You can go to the Costco website and print out the ad and take it to Circuit City and they should match it less 10%.

chelsea24
06-08-2008, 02:52 PM
:agree: I agree the Garmin Nuvi is the best! I never worry about getting lost either because if you do miss your exit (hard to do, but vetman managed it) it recalculates and turns you around to get you back on track. As one that has spent most of her driving life lost, this thing is like a little miracle to me! :o

fraurauch
06-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 200W about a month ago. When I was registering it online, it said I was eligible for the '09 update (even only it's only June '08). I downloaded it, took a long time to do, then I installed it (another long time), but it goes the whole way to 466A now and knows all the roundabouts, etc. We're very pleased with it.

dadspet
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Does the 09 Update on Nuvi show Morse and Buena Vista connecting into 466a. The 08 version showed 466a but not these connections. I sent a update request to Garmin requesting this a few months ago.

fraurauch
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
The '09 update does show Buena Vista and Morse the whole way to 466A.

pwdasher
06-10-2008, 03:12 AM
I just looked up our address in Duval, the streets are labeled incorrectly on Mapquest. Hopefully they'll get the bugs out soon.

Lady Jan
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM

mom2five
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Mapquest seems to have Duval but not Amelia or Hadley. If this is true for GArmin I will have to wait to update my software.

F16 1UB
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Re: Garmin NUVI GPS map update for 2008 includes more of The Villages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got off the phone with Garmin about update (9) and asked them if it showed specific streets in The Villages of Hadley. It did not so the Tech asked me to go to their web site Garmin.com and fill out a map error report. This assists the cartographer in updating the area just in case the planning council failed to do so. At least that's what Garmin told me.

Good Price FUMAR

golfnut
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Best Buy is selling the 760 for $349, they are also selling the 200 for $169. Circuit City is $359 for the 760 and $169 for the 200, online they also have a refurbished 200 for $129 and the 200W is $199. Biggest diff is no bluetooth or street names and sreen is not 4.3. I have the 200 and love it. I don't need bluetooth and street name to turn on is at the top of the screen if you're not sure where to turn though 99% of time when she says turn in 100 feet there's only one street to choose from. As far as screen the bigger screen is wider not taller which doesn't really give any more visibilty to where you are going. Just my 2 cents...GN.

dadspet
07-16-2008, 03:47 AM
The new 2009 Update for maps to Nuvi now connected Morris, Canal Street to 466A which 2008 maps didn't have. I check several of the new street that had open houses and they still weren't added.

chelsea24
07-16-2008, 06:49 AM
OK, I have the Nuvi 260 and when I go to put in The Villages, it doesn't come up and I have the latest (09) update. Just received it. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

mom2five
07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
chelsea

Try Lady Lake . I know when i was using it to find Garage Sale addresses it worked if I used Lady Lake for all parts of the Villages.

F16 1UB
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
OK, I have the Nuvi 260 and when I go to put in The Villages, it doesn't come up and I have the latest (09) update. Just received it. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

The fix for that Chels is remove & replace operator. ;D That'll teach ya to bad mouth vetman.

Handie

chelsea24
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Hahahah 16! 1rnfl 1rnfl And hiding behind Handie's name! Just wait until Ms. Sadie Mae is here. I'm going to get her tons of chew toys that she can bury in your new yard! LOLOL And Mrs. 16 and I are going to shop till we drop! :a20:
Nutbar!

Mom, thanks, I'll give that a try. chels

dadspet
07-16-2008, 03:12 PM

The Villages? Where is that? Only kidding > you need to put in Lady Lake as the city.

uujudy
07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
:agree: . . . it recalculates and turns you around to get you back on track.

Has anyone else noticed that "the voice" seems to have even MORE of an attitude since the 09 update? "ReCalCulating...." :P She seems so disgusted whenever I miss a turn LOL

On the other hand, did you see the cool vehicles you can download from the Garmin website? I nabbed the rocket, the rocket car, the roadtrip car and the Christmas car. :2cool: I am a little surprised that they don't have a golf cart car.

mom2five
07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I do not have the latest update but I have noticed that "the voice" has picked up a British accent. She does seem completely disgusted with me when I do not follow her instructions.

By the way Chelsea does the latest update have the streets in Amelia , specifically Halyard Court. I do not want to pay for an update until it does. Thanks

dadspet
07-17-2008, 03:45 AM
I am a little surprised that they don't have a golf cart car.

It would be even nicer if they had the golf cart trails and the option to follow them instead of roads.

chelsea24
07-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Judy, you always make me laugh! Yes, the voice has even more of an attitude! I thought I was going crazy. You should have heard Barefoot one day in my car arguing with my GPS that I call Ruby! It was hysterical! Wait until she hears this one! LOL 1rnfl 1rnfl

uujudy
07-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Judy, you always make me laugh! Yes, the voice has even more of an attitude! I thought I was going crazy. You should have heard Barefoot one day in my car arguing with my GPS that I call Ruby! It was hysterical! Wait until she hears this one! LOL 1rnfl 1rnfl

This is good to know! I'm glad to hear that you also think she has more of an attitude! I thought it was just me, and it was all in my head. I'm also glad to know that somebody else argues with the voice! :realmad:

F16 1UB
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Mom,

We're in the same boat. Your street & ours is not shown on the latest version. I will wait until version 10 and only then will purchase it if Hadley is listed. When I called Garmin the tech said that if it shows on Mapquest they'll probably have it. Mapquest not yet. By the time they update it I may already have learned how to find the house. Keyword :dontknow: "MAY".

F16

chelsea24
07-17-2008, 03:24 PM
You'll find the house 16. Sadie will be in the yard burying all her new chew toys! LOL 1rnfl

F16 1UB
08-28-2008, 03:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got off the phone with Garmin about update (9) and asked them if it showed specific streets in The Villages of Hadley. It did not so the Tech asked me to go to their web site Garmin.com and fill out a map error report. This assists the cartographer in updating the area just in case the planning council failed to do so. At least that's what Garmin told me. So until the Villages of Hadley gets updated I'll be driving around aimlessly. UGH !

Never lost with Full Tank of Gas or Fully Charged Batteries

F16

This was VERSION 9. Hadley may be included in version 10.

784caroline
08-28-2008, 03:27 AM
If you have not yet done so, you can easiy check the speed of your golf cart using your GPS system. Its done best if you simply activate it, and have someone hold it while calling off your speed as you are driving