PDA

View Full Version : Famous people you have met.

Pages : [1] 2

Talk Host
08-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Aside from just getting an autograph or seeing them in a concert, what famous peopl have you met? Under what circumstances did you meet them?

bogeygolfer
08-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Jimmy Buffett at the Leesburg Airport. I was there refueling my plane and he landed in his personal jet with the big parrot on the tail. Everyone getting off the plane looked the same in their Khaki shorts and tshirts, but then he smiled and I knew it was Jimmy. Went over and shook his hand and asked why he was here. He was having a biplane restored nearby.

Donna
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Sandy Dennis, my brother did her hair for a play..
Joe Pepitone, we used to hang out with him in a disco in NYC and Staten island..
Jack Scalia, personal friend of my cousin..They went to Brentwood High, L.I. together..
Phil Esposito, NY Rangers..Ron Duguay...We hung out with them at the NYC disco...Regine's..
Paul Sorvino..He was filming a movie at the airport hubby has his Helli at..Mt.Pocono Airport..

Those are all I can think of at the moment.. ;D

nanci2539
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Fabio and yes, he is as gorgeous as he appears! Met him on a plane and he was very cordial and sweet and good to look at!

rballruss
08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
For you sports fans....Wes Unseld....he was my neighbor. We played racquetball together and our sons played together.

rnm
08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Larry Bird - of the Boston Celtic's

He lives in Naples and his wife was a patient of mine when I worked in ther ER there.

Also met Bob Graham when he was Governor of FL - we had taken our children to the Capital and we just happened to be in the reception area of his office when he walked through. He stopped and spoke with the children and later sent us an autographed picture with a personal note

jjdees
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I met Mr. T when he was in his prime on a cross country flight. He was really nice guy who appeared to thoroughly enjoy talking with us. No signs of the huge ego some of the stars have. He made the flight enjoyable.

JohnZ
08-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Yogi Berra - Aunt and uncle lived in Montclair, NJ. Uncle Ben designed the crossword puzzles for the NY Times (he died just last year). Yogi would show up for backyard burgers and beer occassionally. As a kid in love with baseball, how cool is that?

Jack Palance - He would show up to attend church Labor Day picnics, Holy Tranfiguration Catholic Church, Luzerne County, PA where I spent summers with my grand parents. He'd fill up on perogies and holopki, Ukraininian soul food and buy beers for the local gentry. He give us kids quarters to play the Big Six Wheel....if we'd double the quarter...he'd expect it back....if we'd win more...he'd expect a cut (if we were lucky...he'd accept not the quarter advanced nor any excess cut but he'd admire our honor). Cool guy, very scary in person....not surprising he got the bad guy roles.

Pete Grey - The only one armed big league baseball player. St Louis Browns. Can field a fly ball with one arm as fast as other players with two arms. Some say Pete made the big leagues during the war-time gap...shortage of players. But, he was awesome none-the-less. Gave us Little League players tips and big dreams. They made at TV movie about him in the 80's. Google him---amazing story. Got a great picture of him with my two oldest children when they were kids.

Chuck Connors - Bought me and my friends a beer at McSorley's Olde Ale House, NYC. I was 17....he didn't know....and probably didn't care....knowing 18 year olds were getting drafted to go to Vietnam at the time.

John Candelaria - Classmate at La Salle Academy HS, New York City. Pitcher, left hander, Pirates, Yanks and others.

chacam
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I met Pete Wahl one time.

jtdraig
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow when they were together back in 1964. Took my girlfriend to Monroe's Restaurant in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard. Sinatra was seated not far from us in a secluded table. My girlfriend was blown away but I told her not to bother them or stare. We didn't. At the end of the meal, Sinatra thanked us for respecting their privacy and picked up the dinner tab.

Talk Host
08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow when they were together back in 1964. Took my girlfriend to Monroe's Restaurant in Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard. Sinatra was seated not far from us in a secluded table. My girlfriend was blown away but I told her not to bother them or stare. We didn't. At the end of the meal, Sinatra thanked us for respecting their privacy and picked up the dinner tab.

WOW, what a great story and memory :bigthumbsup:

Fallchicks2
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Even though I was not included in the recent article in the Dailysun about those who danced on American Bandstand, I also danced on the famous TV show in 1962. Therefore I met Dick Clark.
Also, as a small child, I met Joan Crawford. She was a guest at the Claridge Hotel in Atlantic City where my aunt was executive secretary and saw to her personal needs while staying there.

BUC
08-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I was in the Navy (seabees) and was assigned while stationed at 31st Naval Construction Regiment to the leading Builder installing temporary buildings and security systems at President Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara, calf. when the project was completed, We got the word that the President wanted to host a bar BBQ for the crew about 80 of us in total. I had put in a request to reenlist. Along story cut short is I re enlisted on President Reagan's front porch of his small house with him and Nancy present. The picture of President Reagan and myself was still hanging in the Seabee Museum in Port Hueneme, Calf. when I retired in 1990. I also meet John Wayne but that's a different story.

bamafan
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Bear Bryant, I was attending a banquet in Tuscaloosa, Al. he came into the room and went around to every table shook hands and spent time with every person in attendance.

tony
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I would love to see BUC reenlistment with the Reagans posted here someplace
:clap2:

jjdees
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
John Z, Was Jack Palance a Polack or Ukranian? Why did he attend the local picnic? I can remember church picnics like that in Cleveland. Except the most famous person there might be the pastor. My wife still makes pierogies at Christmas and I love em. Holupki several times a year but I have to watch the intake, just a bit of fat you know.

tony
08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Anybody ever hear of Donnie Iris?

We went to school together from kindergarten into college.

Quite a character.

JohnZ
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Jack was a Ukie..through and through and proud of it.

BUC....that was wayyyy cool and the best re-up story I ever heard.

JohnZ
08-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh... Jack would attend a lot of the Church picnics in the County....he wasn't particular it seems....just showed up and he created a stir when he did.

JohnZ
08-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Off topic post. My wife and I found an authentic Polish/Hungarian deli on 44 in Leesburg. Holupkies are ok....mine are better though ;D. But, their garlic Kielbasa is pretty darn good....very close to what you'd expect in NE PA. They also sell homemade Kishka (never tried this though) and fresh Kielbasa (excellent). Perogies (potatoe) are fair, cabbage filled are very good.

Donna
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
JohnZ,
Who is Jack?? :dontknow:

whartonjelly
08-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Years ago in EPCOT Center Donnie Osmond was walking on tops of the backs of the seats in a surprize concert. A young mentally challengened girl jumped up and knocked him right down into my arms catching him around his waist.

He jumped up and went to the opposite part of the open air theater and never came back to my side again! Oh well, I touched him !

diskman
08-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Aside from just getting an autograph or seeing them in a concert, what famous peopl have you met? Under what circumstances did you meet them?

8)I flew the red eye from vegas to new york first class sat right behind Sammy Davis Jr.
what a guy went to the tail of the plane shook hands up and down the isle signed autographs.
We chatted most of the way to n y. I owned a record distribution company at the time and we had plenty to talk about.
He had a mean cough and kept smoking all the way.
what a shame he died of lung cancer as i recall.

:(

F16 1UB
08-07-2007, 05:40 AM
I waited on these folks while working in the Biltmore Hotel Coffee Shop in Dayton OH in the early 60's - Mel Torme, John Forsythe, Little Richard, and Guy Lombardo. :)

Steve

pqbetta
08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Let's see; Christopher George, Yogi Berra, O.J. Simpson, Paul Newman, Shirley McLaine, Woody Allen,
Anna Marie Alberghetti, Jim Brown, Rod Steiger, Howard Cosell, Walter Pidgeon, George Hamilton,
Robert Redford, Johnny Mathis, Dom Deloise, Ed McMahon, Robert Goulet, Keely Smith, Frankie Avalon, Curtis LeMay, Jack Nicklaus, Carrol O'Connor, several others whose names escape me, except, of course, my all-time favorite...Charles Lindbergh. There's a story line for each name, but I won't bore you with that.

diskman
08-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Let's see; Christopher George, Yogi Berra, O.J. Simpson, Paul Newman, Shirley McLaine, Woody Allen,
Anna Marie Alberghetti, Jim Brown, Rod Steiger, Howard Cosell, Walter Pidgeon, George Hamilton,
Robert Redford, Johnny Mathis, Dom Deloise, Ed McMahon, Robert Goulet, Keely Smith, Frankie Avalon, Curtis LeMay, Jack Nicklaus, Carrol O'Connor, several others whose names escape me, except, of course, my all-time favorite...Charles Lindbergh. There's a story line for each name, but I won't bore you with that.
bless us with one of your bunch of stories please ::)

Taltarzac
08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
César Estrada Chávez, Ralph Nader, Walter Mondale while I was a law student (Class of 1989) then assistant librarian at the University of Minnesota Law School from 1986 through 1991. These people were giving speeches at the U of MN Law School and had various informal meetings with law students and others afterwards and Walter Mondale's son was in the law school one year behind (Class of 1990) me while I was there.

Shared e-mails and/or letters with Elie Wiesel, Tom Clancy, someone claiming to be "George Clooney" and a few others not as famous about activities for survivors of various kinds of crimes I have been involved in and hurdles faced in these since leaving the University of Minnesota Law Library's employ in mid-1991.

pqbetta
08-09-2007, 09:50 AM
bless us with one of your bunch of stories please ::)

Christopher George and I pledged the same fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, in 1953 at
the University of Miami. We shared all the rites of passage together, such as having
to carry a sanitary napkin at all times, which we would have to place over our mouth and nose whenever a Sig Ep brother yelled "Gas Mask!!" and keep it there until given an
"All Clear!" And of course, we had to wear those ridiculous beanies on campus. I would
picture Chris with his gas mask and beanie when I saw his movies years later. Funny!.

Chris told me several stories about his experiences in the Marines as part
of a search and rescue team, recovering bodies, etc. Since he was about 4 years older
than most of our class, we all were pretty much in awe of this "man of the world".
Just about everyone who met him, including me, told him he should be "in pictures".
He sure was great to be with at parties; girls everywhere!!
I was deeply saddened by his untimely death of a heart attack in 1983.

Hancle704
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I worked at The Brooklyn Ice Palace in the early 1950's as a teenager and when Arthur Godfrey and cast had rehearsals there for a TV show I met Arthur, his announcer Tony Marvin (a real nice gentleman) Julius LaRosa and the Hawaiian Gal whose name I can't remember.

While working in Machester, NH in the late 70's and early 80's I met most of the Presidential Candidates who were campaigning for the First in The Nation Primary. Candidates were so common on the streets of NH, that you had to avoid them, unless you wanted a handshake and a piece of literature. If they saw you with 2 or 3 people they would head over and start their speeches.

Met Bob Graham while I working in Orlando and he was still our Governor.

Wife and I also had the pleasure of meeting Harold Schwartz the first time we visited TV. A truly nice man.

tony
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Hawaiian? Hali Loki? (sp?)

Hancle704
08-12-2007, 02:54 PM
The memory is shot. While working in Mahattan for telco 40 plus years ago, I met Lee Radziwell (Princess) Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy and Charlotte Ann Ford and Charles Revson at their homes while handling their telephone service. Also met a Greek guy who owned a large shipping company and he had a problem with the cost of renting a color phone.

jerseygirl13
08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
This is a great thread. Really very very interesting.

BUC: Your story about reinlisting on the Reagan's front porch is priceless. My favorite story so far. I met Arnold Schwartennager (sp?) in Tupelo, MS during the late 80's. My kids were performing in the big arena there for a President's Physical Fitness something or other. He was the special guest, heading up the fitness programs. Rude dude. And short. Can you believe he actually laughed and made fun of a waitress (reported to me by friends who were eating at the same rest.) because of her . . . get this. . . ACCENT. Pleeeeeeeeeez !!

Please keep them coming.

Taltarzac
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM

BUC: Your story about reinlisting on the Reagan's front porch is priceless. My favorite story so far. I met Arnold Schwartennager (sp?) in Tupelo, MS during the late 80's. My kids were performing in the big arena there for a President's Physical Fitness something or other. He was the special guest, heading up the fitness programs. Rude dude. And short. Can you believe he actually laughed and made fun of a waitress (reported to me by friends who were eating at the same rest.) because of her . . . get this. . . ACCENT. Pleeeeeeeeeez !!

Please keep them coming.

I thought Arrrrnold S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger was tall? At least, taller than I am. It says, he is 6' 2" on the Internet Movie Data Base. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000216/

Arnold Schwarzenegger's name is worse than Jon Hoppensteadt or Frank Hoppensteadt or Robert Hoppensteadt.

jjdees
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I was on the set of one of Arnold's movies, "Eraser" some years ago and I commented about the low ceilings and I was told it was to make Arnold look bigger.

walkingfool
08-21-2007, 11:35 PM
I lived across the street from Ralph Waite back in the 40's but he wasn't famous then...does that count???

Taltarzac
08-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Back in the 70s, my parents used to play bridge with Mills Lane. He is the ex-TV judge who was also a referee in various prizefighter cases like the one where Mike Tyson bit off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bite_Fight.

I was around in the 70s-- in Reno, Nevada-- while my parents were playing bridge with Mills Lane and his wife.

Irish Rover
08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey JohnZ - I know the deli you are talking about. Everything is great there but they sell out very early if you are looking for any sausage. We only spend two or three months a year in TV (J-F-M) but the first place we go to is Leesburg for a Polish fix. We are originally from Steubenville, OH and had a few famous people come out of our town.

kregski
08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Mac Davis,Candice Bergin,David Carradine,Freddie Prinze,Pernell Roberts,Kojak,,(cant remember his name).Pearl Baily sang a song to me while I was in attendance at the Tonight Show.Ummm..lets see Mory Amsterdam,Bobby Womak,Redd Foxx, DeMond Wilson.I Worked in a gas station in Hollywood California,these were some of my customers.Will be coming to TV sept 13 hope I can afford it seems a bit pricey.Its not the price of the house that concerns me,its,..water ,ammenity fee,cable,trash,phone,and whatever else comes my way.Someone said its 1000 a month plus what ever the house payment might be. See ya.
Kregski
, Hobart In. Go Brickies

Taltarzac
08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Mac Davis,Candice Bergin,David Carradine,Freddie Prinze,Pernell Roberts,Kojak,,(cant remember his name).Pearl Baily sang a song to me while I was in attendance at the Tonight Show.Ummm..lets see Mory Amsterdam,Bobby Womak,Redd Foxx, DeMond Wilson.I Worked in a gas station in Hollywood California,these were some of my customers.Will be coming to TV sept 13 hope I can afford it seems a bit pricey.Its not the price of the house that concerns me,its,..water ,ammenity fee,cable,trash,phone,and whatever else comes my way.Someone said its 1000 a month plus what ever the house payment might be. See ya.
Kregski
, Hobart In. Go Brickies

Telly Savalas was Kojak. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001699/

Taltarzac
08-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Quite a character.

Now I have heard of Donnie Iris-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Iris

golfnut
08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Trisha Yearwood was in our offices yesterday and sang half a dozen songs.

nhsnowbird
09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
What's the name of the Polish/Hungarian deli? We're coming down in Jan and would love to visit this deli. Thanks.

golfnut
09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
nh, watch out for the topicop

gigi22
09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Remember Dion, the singer back in the 60s ('Runaround Sue')? He was on a Carribean cruise that I was on. No one recognized him, and he didn't bring it to anyone's attention. Nice guy!

tbsoccer
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
John Ratzenberger from Cheers and Made in America. He wrote a book called We Have it Made in America. A good Republican, blue collar book and a good read. He was signing the books at Borders in South Hills Village Mall in Pittsburgh.

The other was Lucille, the founder of Transmissions by Lucille here in Pittsburgh. She was a single mom with two teenage boys who needed a job. She had been a school teacher in Kansas who married a guy after WWII and moved to Pittsburgh. He left her with the two boys. She wasn't able to get a teaching job but she did get a job as an office worker in a small garage. Being inquisitive, she read all the manuals. One day, as the story goes, two of the mechanics couldn't figure out how to fix a transmission. She overheard their problem and offered them her advise. Being a woman (in the 60's) the didn't really pay her any attention. After they tried everything else, they tried her suggestion. It worked. It wasn't long that she became a resource for the mechanics and eventually she open her own transmissions shop which evolved into a local chain. Back in the 90's when she was doing the book signing, she had sold shops and still wore her hair in a beehive like she did in the 60's. You have to admire her drive and her fight. I know I do.

chuckinca
09-06-2007, 11:48 PM
In the late 70's I was at a car show in the Oakland Coliseum. Walking around looking at the cars I was rear area of the show and came across a band playing. Nobody was stopping to watch them. As I was walking by, I looked up at the singer and it was Ricky Nelson!

I was in shock that Ricky Nelson was playing and nobody was interested. I stayed for a few tunes and continued on my way looking at the new cars.

SteveFromNY
09-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I met John Franco at a Met's game. My friend took us to the bullpen during the 7th to meet him (my friend caught for him in college). He also caught for Frank Viola. I saw Frank in Disney ESPN and went over and introduced myself, and said I knew Don. He was really pleasant and friendly.

I met Rusty Staub on an airplane from LA to NY and again in his bar ("Rusty's") in NYC.

I met David Ball who once was guitarist for Procol Harum, but quit the band BEFORE "Whiter Shade of Pale". Worked with computers when I met him.

Met Rudy Guiliani at a book signing. Businesslike, and impressive. Much smaller than I expected.

I saw John Mahoney (Frasier's cane weilding father on television) in Ireland while on vacation. I said Hello to him. He looked at me, and I never saw anyone run into a crowd and disappear so fast!

marygalexa
09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I never met him - but my husband used to live one farm away from James Dean (the Rebel Without A Cause) movie star. He actually used to come down and play with my husband's brother. His mom and Jimmy's aunt were good friends and they all went to the same Quaker Church in Fairmount, Indiana. On occasion Jimmy gave my husband a ride home from high school on his motorcycle. (Actually I heard this story on our very first date - it is his "claim to fame!" My niece runs a B&B out in the country close to Fairmount where they have an annual James Dean Day and she gets all kinds of old stars that knew Jimmy there as guests.

She (the niece) dated Jim Davis (the creator of Garfield the Cat).

chuckinca
09-12-2007, 10:20 PM
When I first moved to California from Chicago in the early 70's I lived in an singles type apartment complex (seven swimming pools, two Rec Halls and sports teams etc - sort of like a mini villages but for 20's and early 30's types) and it was about a 15 minute drive from the Oakland Coliseum. Back then the professional baseball and football players were making good money but they were not making millions. During their seasons alot of Oakland A's and Raider players lived in the complex. For two years Otis Sistrunk from the University of Mars lived in the next apartment during football season with his wife and 1 and then 2 yr old daughter who, it seemed, was always dressed in all white fluffy dresses holding her monster daddy's pinkie as they walked thru the grounds. The Raider QB, Ken Stabler and receiver, Dave Casper lived nearby and were often in the West 40 Club on Friday nights. Coach John Madden lived about 15 miles to the East in Pleasanton and I saw him a few times in a local "Togo's" sandwich shop having lunch. His wife was a bar owner on Main Street along with about a dozen other cowboy type bars that have since been replaced with more tony establishments. One of his son's is (or was) a HS football coach in the same town. Later, in the mid-80's he moved into a gated exclusive subdivision called "Blackhawk" (developed by the now owner of the Seattle Seahawks) and lived in an about 7,000 SF house overlooking a golf green built next to a thirty foot high waterfall. While most of the houses in the subdivision had BMW's and Mercedes' in the drives he had a VW Beatle and a Ford Pickup.

Taltarzac
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Bump.

l2ridehd
12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
A few here and there, lots on airplanes. Used to frequent a restarant that was also a hang out for Robert Duval. Got on a flight from Sydney to San Francisco, was upgraded to first class, and just as they were closing the door, and Andre Agassi, with wife Stephi Graf and their 3 children boarded. Set next to Newt Gingrich from Washington to Atlanta and Pat Buchanan from Manchester NH to Washington. Met Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, Kevin McKale, Danny Ainge and Dennis Johnson at a Celtics event. Wife played basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters once.

KathieI
12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Too many to even mention and I probably have forgotten half of them. Lived in Manhattan, NY, for 15 years and moved to L.A. for 30 years. Right in the middle of star-land for the past 35 years. Not important anyway, just like all of us. No biggy.

nONIE
12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Kathie, Amen to that!

Now, asking about mother theresa's we have met would really have some meaning!

Muncle
12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Not real "stars" but famous in their field:

John Shalikashvili: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Worked for him in Nuernberg when he had one star.

Clarence Thomas: Judge. Saw him at St. Lawrence Church and at the grocery store in NOVA. I'd be too intimidated to talk to him.

Dick Cheney: Politician. Met him when he was SECDEF visiting Nuernberg. We did his commo. I was slated to brief him, :barf: but it was cancelled -- phew.

Randy Jones (Cy Young winner) and several other "old timers". There was a group of retired major leaguers touring military facilities in Europe in about 1988. Consumed vast amounts of alcohol :beer3: with many of them, esp Jones, at an Irish Pub in the Alte Stadt of Nuernberg.

Polly Bergen. Many years ago (about 1975) I stopped in a bar in Vail a bit of the hair of the dog on the way to the slopes. While sitting at the bar, a woman took the next stool as she waited for a table. She, the bartender, and I exchanged small talk for about 10 minutes. When she left, I couldn't help commenting to the bartender that she was without doubt one of the most beautiful women I'd even seen, especially at 9:00 AM. She identified her as Polly Bergen, who I only knew from a couple old movies and cosmetics commercials. I figure she was in her mid 40's at the time and had the most gorgeous complexion imaginable. Made me realize there were good looking people over 30, thank goodness. :2cool:

Taltarzac
12-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Not real "stars" but famous in their field:

John Shalikashvili: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Worked for him in Nuernberg when he had one star.

Clarence Thomas: Judge. Saw him at St. Lawrence Church and at the grocery store in NOVA. I'd be too intimidated to talk to him.

Dick Cheney: Politician. Met him when he was SECDEF visiting Nuernberg. We did his commo. I was slated to brief him, :barf: but it was cancelled -- phew.

Randy Jones (Cy Young winner) and several other "old timers". There was a group of retired major leaguers touring military facilities in Europe in about 1988. Consumed vast amounts of alcohol :beer3: with many of them, esp Jones, at an Irish Pub in the Alte Stadt of Nuernberg.

Polly Bergen. Many years ago (about 1975) I stopped in a bar in Vail a bit of the hair of the dog on the way to the slopes. While sitting at the bar, a woman took the next stool as she waited for a table. She, the bartender, and I exchanged small talk for about 10 minutes. When she left, I couldn't help commenting to the bartender that she was without doubt one of the most beautiful women I'd even seen, especially at 9:00 AM. She identified her as Polly Bergen, who I only knew from a couple old movies and cosmetics commercials. I figure she was in her mid 40's at the time and had the most gorgeous complexion imaginable. Made me realize there were good looking people over 30, thank goodness. :2cool:

What's NOVA?

Muncle
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
What's NOVA?

Northern Virginia. It's a commonly accepted term for the area of Virginia that borders DC. Includes Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax Counties, and Falls Church. Now it probably also includes Prince William, Loudoun, and Stafford Counties.

chelsea24
12-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Fun question. Frank Sinatra on several occasions (I dated his son for a while) Sammy Davis Jr, Joey Bishop. Joe Mantegna (went to school with him and homecoming) Dennis Farina (my girlfriends cousin --he really was a Chicago Detective) Paul Anka. Literally ran into Louis Jordan in a coffee shop and actually sat down and talked to him. Loved to hear him say my name, Linda, with that great French accent. Barry Manilow and Sting (my husband's cousin is their lawyer in NY.) Robert Redford, when he was filming Ordinary People in Chicago, (again literally walked right into him in McDonald's of all places! and he bought me a burger!) I couldn't speak! I worked in advertising, so I cast quite a few names through that, Sally Kellerman, Susan Anton, Joey Heatherton. Shaque O'Neal in Vegas playing craps. He could literally reach across the table. Ben Affleck in Vegas playing Blackjack. Of course my dream is to meet George Clooney, but is hasn't happened! ::)

Taltarzac
12-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Fun question. Frank Sinatra on several occasions (I dated his son for a while) Sammy Davis Jr, Joey Bishop. Joe Mantegna (went to school with him and homecoming) Dennis Farina (my girlfriends cousin --he really was a Chicago Detective) Paul Anka. Literally ran into Louis Jordan in a coffee shop and actually sat down and talked to him. Loved to hear him say my name, Linda, with that great French accent. Barry Manilow and Sting (my husband's cousin is their lawyer in NY.) Robert Redford, when he was filming Ordinary People in Chicago, (again literally walked right into him in McDonald's of all places! and he bought me a burger!) I couldn't speak! I worked in advertising, so I cast quite a few names through that, Sally Kellerman, Susan Anton, Joey Heatherton. Shaque O'Neal in Vegas playing craps. He could literally reach across the table. Ben Affleck in Vegas playing Blackjack. Of course my dream is to meet George Clooney, but is hasn't happened! ::)

I got an e-mail from someone saying he was George Clooney back around 2003-2004 when I was writing a Lifetime Channel PA. Who knows with e-mails though? She claimed to be a Lifetime Channel PA. "George Clooney" said he was dating her. The e-mails looked genuine. To the point and very cautious. He wanted to know about my struggles with getting practical materials for victims of crimes into various types of libraries.

redwitch
12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks to my father's career choice (U.S. Army, transporation specialist frequently assigned to embassies to determine ingress, egress, supply and emergency routes), I've had the privilege of meeting some very famous people. Dad invited Elvis Presley to dinner while he was filming G.I. Blues. What a truly sweet man he was. Did his best to make everyone comfortable -- even admired my brother's model airplanes.

However, my favorite famous person was the one I called "Uncle Billy." Whenever he came to the house, I refused to let him until he gave me a ride on his shoulders. As I got older, he told me many wonderful and tragic stories about segregation in the military. Uncle Billy was the first black graduate of West Point and the commander of the Tuskogee Airmen. His father, whom I also had the privilege meeting, was the first black general. So, with great pride I say I had the privilege of knowing Gen. Benjamin O. Davis. (And don't ask me why I called him Uncle Billy and why no one ever corrected me cause I have no idea.)

I've met others over the years but these were the two most important to me. They were also two the nicest, most gracious people I've ever met.

Taltarzac
12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks to my father's career choice (U.S. Army, transporation specialist frequently assigned to embassies to determine ingress, egress, supply and emergency routes), I've had the privilege of meeting some very famous people. Dad invited Elvis Presley to dinner while he was filming G.I. Blues. What a truly sweet man he was. Did his best to make everyone comfortable -- even admired my brother's model airplanes.

However, my favorite famous person was the one I called "Uncle Billy." Whenever he came to the house, I refused to let him until he gave me a ride on his shoulders. As I got older, he told me many wonderful and tragic stories about segregation in the military. Uncle Billy was the first black graduate of West Point and the commander of the Tuskogee Airmen. His father, whom I also had the privilege meeting, was the first black general. So, with great pride I say I had the privilege of knowing Gen. Benjamin O. Davis. (And don't ask me why I called him Uncle Billy and why no one ever corrected me cause I have no idea.)

I've met others over the years but these were the two most important to me. They were also two the nicest, most gracious people I've ever met.

That's neat.

I used to mow the lawn in Reno, Nevada of a man who is now some kind of mucky muck at the Pentagon.

Hope2b
12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Joe DeMaggio at Clark AB in the PI. Was invited to join him at his table at the Kelly Restaurant.
Jim Tressel--still my heart still--while he was here coaching for the Gridiron Classic. The coach who gave him his first job (and lived in TV) was a friend of ours so Jim talked to us many times that week.

JohnN
12-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Bill Clinton - had about 1/2 hour one-on-one with him, and he had me believe he was going to fix most everything I cared about (education and healthcare) but somehow I felt sleazy and used LOL

Victoria Principal - she's a very nice lady, and an absolute knock-out, gorgeous

Peggy D
12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Met Eddie VanHalen and Valerie Bertinelli on the elevator of the hospital I worked at.
Valerie was born and raised in Wilmington, DE. Her father was in the hospital at that time.
Nice people.

Also met Bruce Willis and Demi Moore in another hospital I worked at. Cared for his father as a patient also. Bruce is from NJ just accross the Delaware River.

Taltarzac
12-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Northern Virginia. It's a commonly accepted term for the area of Virginia that borders DC. Includes Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax Counties, and Falls Church. Now it probably also includes Prince William, Loudoun, and Stafford Counties.

Thanks for the response. Never been to that area of the country. ;D

eujaynia
12-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Lived in the same subdivision where Refrigerator Perry resided. *LOL* My oldest son was about 9 years old at the time. He's 30 now so ... guess my brush with fame is nill.

Oh yeah! One time, I thought I was going to have to kick Florence Henderson's butt because she was flirtin' with my man... can't have that you know! *LOL*

Joking aside ... this is an interesting topic. Crazy how so many of you have met so many famous people!

Bubbalarry
12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Several years ago for one of my birthdays shortly after discovering arthritis in my hips, knees and ankles my loving wife contacted our local private golf course in PA, for a link to find a way to get a signed autograph from Arnold Palmer. He is my favorite golfer of all time.

After many calls and told to call this # and that # she finally got on the phone with this guy who talked for several minutes about his arthritic mother. My wife listened patiently and at the end asked for the tele# he might have to talk with and get the autograph. Only to find out she was talking to Palmer himself. Not believing at first until his daughter came on the phone with them did she believe it.

Now on my birthday he sent me a framed picture with an autograph signed and adding words asking me to keep on golfing. It bought tears to my eyes and still does that someone who never met me and after talking to a stranger, my wife for more than 20 minutes would just send this without asking her for anything other than our address. Plus every year now on or about my birthday he sends me a new signed pic.

One year he asked that if I ever decide to come to his home course outside Orlando to please call the Manager of the resort hotel so we could meet.

Well we met him, his wife Winnie and there 2 lovely Irish setters. What a guy.

:#1: :#1: :#1: :beer3: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

redwitch
01-01-2008, 04:26 AM
Well, I need to add some more posts, so will name some of the other people I have met:

Eisenhower
Queen Elizabeth
Shah Pahlavi
Bruce Springsteen
William Windom
Lou Al Cinder aka Kareem

May post more later.

KathieI
01-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Red,

I'll give you another reason to post.

His name is Lou Alcindor and he came from NYC. Aren't those guys big. They are amazing.

I also met Wilt Chamberlain in JFK airport. He was so big that he was sitting on the rail of the baggage carousel and he was still taller than most people standing up. Amazing, and he was a nice man as well.

Keep going Red, only a few more posts needed, Good Luck!

redwitch
01-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Lou was actually a buddy til he joined the Panthers. Introduced me to the guy I "dated" at UCLA. Course, my guy went to Georgetown -- tall redhead on their basketball team. Funny thing is I can't watch a basketball game -- the squeaky shoes drive me right up the wall.

Taltarzac725
05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
I met Mills Lane and his wife when they played bridge with my parents when in Reno.

Caesar Chavez, Walter Mondale, Ralph Nader and a few other political luminaries spoke and later socialized with law students at the U of MN Law School.

coralway
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Hulk Hogan at LGA.

Villageshooter
05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
I met the WORLDS most famous cook
I met the WORLDS most famous porn star
I met the WORLDS most famous devout mother
I met the WORLDS most famous loving person
I met the WORLDS most famous who is a role model of Christian Values
I met the WORLDS most famous that loves me
MY WIFE!!!!!!!!!
That is my most famous person :bowdown:

RichieB
05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Walt Frazier after a Knicks victory (he scored 41 points) in a bar near MSG

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (VERY sociable) filming an episode of "FBI" in 1972 at the hotel we were staying at.

Neil Diamond after a concert at MSG in 1994, "hanging out in the men's room." (his words).

Cloris Leachman, Vincent Price, Yokozuna (wrestler, now deceased) in various airports, on separate occasions while waiting for flights.

You can get to meet some celebs on NY-LAX red eye flights.

Interesting stuff.

CaptJohn
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread from 2007. It's been a fun read and I've notice that many of the posters from then have disappeared from the site these days. Some back then only had a couple of posts and some are still with us. Kathie1 said it best though.

I met the band Grassroots in the late 60's as my band was the warmup band for their concert and have a news article written afterward saying our band upstaged them!.
I also met all the original members of Three Dog Night as I was working the stage when they played. I still have the broken drumsticks that were left on the stage. Their warmup guy was famous songwriter Hoyt Axton. Really nice guy (deceased).
Also met Jimmy Buffett since he lived where I live but he wasn't famous then.
There are others but these came to mind first.

Newer members keep the post going. It's quite interesting and has been dormant too long.

jblum315
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Bob Hope at JFK waiting for his driver. Elegantly dressed, friendly.

LittleDog
05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Sister Kenny who was treating me for polio when I was 6 years old. Most people don't know who she is.

John

MLBellis
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
My ex’s family had a boat at marina Del Ray in Calif. Robert Wagner’s boat the Splendor was 2 slips away from ours. We would sit every weekend and have a drink with him (he is better looking in person) Natalie would come and bring fresh flowers. We were invited to join them that Thanksgiving at Catalina Island, but we could not make it.

My ex-brother in law was the accountant for Aaron Spelling & Goldberg. He took me on set to meet the cast of the Love Boat, Mash, Hart to Hart & Dynasty… I got to eat lunch with the all. Jamie Farr is a riot. I laugh so much I couldn’t eat my lunch.

carm310
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Howie Mandell, had back stage passes at a show.

Taltarzac725
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
My ex’s family had a boat at marina Del Ray in Calif. Robert Wagner’s boat the Splendor was 2 slips away from ours. We would sit every weekend and have a drink with him (he is better looking in person) Natalie would come and bring fresh flowers. We were invited to join them that Thanksgiving at Catalina Island, but we could not make it.

My ex-brother in law was the accountant for Aaron Spelling & Goldberg. He took me on set to meet the cast of the Love Boat, Mash, Hart to Hart & Dynasty… I got to eat lunch with the all. Jamie Farr is a riot. I laugh so much I couldn’t eat my lunch.

Met a guy that was a close second to Jamie Farr a few months ago here in TV. He just looked a lot like Jamie Farr. Had a good sense of humor too and is of Lebanese-American extraction.

BritParrothead
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
John Denver, in london, he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall. We had back stage passes. He came over to introduce himself, then bought me and hubby a drink.
Met Jimmy Buffett in London 2 years ago, made my year!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Also met the Queen Mother in the late 70's, at a military tattoo, what a wonderful woman.

Trish Crocker
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I met Bob Lanier (Detroit Piston). He came into the Secretary of State office I was working in (aka motor vehicle dept.). While I was renewing his drivers license two young guys (about 12 yrs old) came up and asked him for an autograph. He VERY grudgingly gave it to them. I thought it was rude, did he really think no one would notice a 6'11 guy or not recognize him? I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.:ohdear:

duffysmom
05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I met Bob Lanier (Detroit Piston). He came into the Secretary of State office I was working in (aka motor vehicle dept.). While I was renewing his drivers license two young guys (about 12 yrs old) came up and asked him for an autograph. He VERY grudgingly gave it to them. I thought it was rude, did he really think no one would notice a 6'11 guy or not recognize him? I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.:ohdear:

Sounds like he needed to have his groin pulled.:1rotfl::1rotfl:

skyguy79
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
John Denver, in london, he was playing at the Royal Albert Hall. We had back stage passes. He came over to introduce himself, then bought me and hubby a drink.In your mentioning John Denver it reminded me, although no famous people come immediately to mind in my case, that my son has met John Denver and several other famous people. He met John when he was working for the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs. He also met James Taylor and was even hit upon by one of his backup singers. He even got the chance to sing with the NYS Opera Company at the PAC. It was back stage with other opera performers during a part of the opera where they were not out on state. They said to make sure he didn't mention that they let him do it to the director or they would have gotten in trouble.

Others he has met included Sybill Shepherd while sitting next to her during the pilot shoot of "Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus"; Terry Bradshaw at a private house party and Kelly Hu who has appeared on many prime time TV series programs, too many to list. At the time she was on "Martial Law." He got to know her well enough that she gave him a recommendation to get into the Howard Fine Acting Studio in LA.

After graduating from the LA Film School he also had the opportunity to meet the following while on film shoots: Eva Longoria, Wanda Sykes, Tom Bosley, Robert Wagner and others whose names you would probably recognize. I wonder how many famous people he's met that I'm not aware of.

As for me, the only thing I remember is that I did meet and get an autograph of a famous C&W singer back in the late '60s. I can't remember her name for sure, but I think it was Loretta Lynn!

skyguy79
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
http://agilityforum.agilityaddicts.net/images/smilies/hahadog.gifSounds like he needed to have his groin pulled.:1rotfl::1rotfl:A pulled Piston? :22yikes: Duffysmom!!!! http://www.chatslang.com/images/shortcuts/yahoo_messenger/shame_on_you.gif

swimdawg
05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I met all of Bobby Kennedy's kids while visiting "The Compound" back in the mid-60's....before Bobby was sadly assassinated. The security process to get into The Compound was unbelievable....way back then. I remember JohnJohn and Caroline zipping along in the Tooterville Trolley....a glorified golf cart! Ethel and Eunice were just finishing a game of tennis. The children were delightful...very polite and polished.....at their young age.

In my senior year of college, we had our Senior Trip to NYC. Our Dean of Women was a Socialite....and she had connections. We had a luncheon at Helena Rubinstein's luxurious apartment. LIFE magazine was on hand to take photos which ended up on cover of LIFE. The next day, we went to The Plaza for brunch....and I remember seeing Joan Crawford carrying her little dawg while walking down the steps of The Plaza with her "Mommie Dearest" daughter. That night, I remember seeing Barefoot in the Park with Robert Redford.....and I fell asleep! Horrors!

Bill-n-Brillo
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
............I was trying to be polite so I asked "How are you doing, Mr. Lanier?"..he replied "Not good...I have a groin pull"..which was slightly uncomfortable since I'm 4'11 and was actually looking straight ahead into the alleged injured area.:ohdear:

Hey Trish....................................thanks for the visual!!! :1rotfl:

:jester:

Bill :)

eweissenbach
05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
My college baseball coach was John "Hi" Simmons, who is in the Baseball coaches hall of fame. One of my best friends was George Seals who played for 10 years in the NFL. I was friendly with Norm Stewart, who is in the College Basketball hall of fame. Through Norm I got to know Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Jack Hartman, Eddie Sutton, and Charlie Spoonhauer among other fairly famous coaches. I worked with Cotton Fitsimmons at several basketball camps. Worked with both North Dakota senators, Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad on insurance issues as well as Missouri Senator Kit Bond. Worked an afternoon with Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter at a Habitat for Humanity project. Visited with Mike Huckabee and Chris Dodd at campaign events. Through volunteer work with the Muscular Distrophy Association I worked with George Brett, Whitey Herzog, Darrell Porter, Nate Archibald, Sam Lacey among others. Is that enough name dropping? Beginning to sound like Forrest Gump.

Zoomie1955
05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
I met Tom Cruise, Craig Nelson & Lea Thompson in 1983 while they were filming the movie "All the Right Moves" in Johnstown, Pa.
I met and dated the hair stylist and got to meet everyone who worked on the movie.

KEVIN & JOSIE
05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
I met Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles in the late 1970's while working as a salesperson at Montgomery Wards in Towson Maryland. I sold him a chainsaw, got to talk with him for sometime. He autographed one of my business cards, of which I still have today. He was and still is a wonderful, down to earth professional. A true icon of baseball.

kentucky blue
05-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Red,

I'll give you another reason to post.

His name is Lou Alcindor and he came from NYC. Aren't those guys big. They are amazing.

I also met Wilt Chamberlain in JFK airport. He was so big that he was sitting on the rail of the baggage carousel and he was still taller than most people standing up. Amazing, and he was a nice man as well.

Keep going Red, only a few more posts needed, Good Luck!

I played basketball against Lew Alcindor in high school,they won.My college roommate , fraternity brother,and best friend is one of the wealthest men in america and has introduced me to more celebrities than i can count.My girlfriend and partner for the past 15 years has a beautiful and talented daughter(that's a real sweetheart)is an actress that has already won two emmy awards. All the celebrities i've met with her, in New York and Hollywood, and with my best friend traveling throughout this country, and on millionaire's row at the Kentucky Derby are numerous.Now for the bottomline,the best, most genuine people i've ever met live in TV.I continue to shake my head at the obsession this country has with celebrities.If you really got to know most of these people, it would be a HUGE disappointment.All your heroes should be your parents,grandparents, other family members and friends.My hero is my grandmother who came to this country with nothing during the Great Depression and raised 4 terrific children, one being the love of my life,my mother.

Carmpat
05-18-2012, 10:29 PM
My cousin is Christopher Knight who played Peter Brady from the Brady Bunch. He came to visit my parents who once lived in Metuchen, NJ. I knew Robert Hedges too who recently past away from Welcome Back Kotter. He grew up in Fords and later moved to Metuchen. My sister graduated with David Cooperfield from Metuchen High School. So we knew his family before he became famous. I also met saw him again at one of his magic shows. I also met Tom Jones and Barry Manilow. When I was 12 years, I went to a cousin's family reunion in Long Island and came upon Howard Stern. I think at the time he was 2 yrs younger than me and Christoper Knight was also at the same party but he was a toddler then. So can you figure out I grew up in Metuchen, NJ. Last summer we met Josh Pressley parents at a minor league ballgame. He is not that famous but his parents own a window business out of Fort Lauderdale, Fl and Josh was traded to Sugar Land, TX. His parents travel with him to all of his minor league games. It was fun meeting them that day at the Somerset Patriots Game, Somerset, NJ.

allus70
05-19-2012, 12:01 AM
When I was a kid, my brother in law tried out as a kicker for a minor league football team. The try out was held at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. Of all the people I would ever expected to meet at a football try out, Jackie Robinson wasn't one of them. Believe he was a part owner, not sure, though I do remember he was very cordial and shook everyone's hand.
Almost bumped into Muhammed Ali walking down Lexington Ave close to Grand Central Station.

donkobes
05-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Peter Max, Andy Warhol, Gregg Allman, Magic Johnson, Walt Frazier, Bobby Colomby(Blood, Sweat & Tears), Elton John, Ronnie Howard (Opie), Willie Mays, and Victor Borge. As Advertising Manager for Pioneer and Samsung, we used these celebrities in various ads.

All of these celebrities were gracious and delightful to meet!

Don Kobes

rhredd1654
05-19-2012, 06:03 AM
The late Dick Clark on American Bandstand in 1961. Went to Philadelphia for the International Key Club Convention and our sponsor got us in. Dick met with us in his office prior to the show and told us in no uncertain terms to STAY in the bleachers, but of course I just HAD to dance with Justine!

babbs455
05-19-2012, 06:22 AM
I finally got to meet "cousin" Wynonna and her momma when they came to Weirsdale for the concert. Have been following them for years but never ever close enough to meet her. A few years back I found out that we are related back in the hills.... I spoke with a man who seemed to be the head honcho for the concert and told him my story showed him our genealogy paperwork where Wynonna Ashely and Momma Naomi are related to me. I asked him if he could give it to Wynonna and he said I will do you one better I will let you give it to her yourself.
Thought I was gonna wig out on the spot...Boy they sure are pretty upclose and personal..
Now waiting on the family reunion...heeheeee!

asianthree
05-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Mike Modono, Stevie Yzerman, the late Bob Probert, Patty Lafataine, and too many black hawks and redwings to count in the 80s and 90s. My husband and son played spring and summer hockey off season, with them. But the best was each time Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay would show up just for the fun of it to the rink. Everyone was just a guy on a pair of skates, who they were was not important to them, they just wanted to play for fun.

Happinow
05-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Rachael Ray.....she graduated from the same HS as I did and still does a cooking show once a year at the high school to help raise money for charities.

lovsthosebigdogs
05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
I met several artists from oldies groups but the only two I remember are Tommy James from the Shondells (I Think We’re Alone Now) who was an absolute egomaniacal jerk, and The Del Vikings, (Come Go With Me) who were lovely. I Catered several oldies concerts at a theatre years ago and the groups were from before my time, so I didn’t really know them or their music. I do remember one of them commenting that they enjoyed my treating them like “real people” and my replying that it was because I had absolutely no idea who they were. I was told by the theatre manager NOT to say that any more.
I sort of 'met' John Denver. My girlfriends and I were at a concert of his in the 70s and the theatre double sold the seats so they sat us off to the side where we couldn't see the big screen of nature pictures Denver used to accompany his music. After the concert as he was leaving, he saw us and asked us why we were there. We told him about the mix up in our seats with our tickets and he apologized. He offered to make it up to us and asked us to come to a party with him. We were 19 and in college and my roommate drove and wouldn't go. I had no way to convince her so I had to decline. After reading his biography years later and about how wild he really was, it's probably safter that we didn't go. I don't consider it really meeting because it was only a brief chat.

mikeandnancy1112
05-19-2012, 09:31 AM
One of my most memorable moments occurred when President Ronald Reagan was running for office. At the time, I lived in Daytona Beach Florida and was the president of the Jaycee Auxiliary. We had the honor of hosting the luncheon held for President Reagan and Wallace and I had the privilege of traveling to the airport along with the press to pick up President Reagan and the First Lady. I walked up to the airplane and greeted both of them and President Reagan kissed me on the cheek. It was an awesome experience!

Taltarzac725
05-24-2012, 08:43 AM
One of my most memorable moments occurred when President Ronald Reagan was running for office. At the time, I lived in Daytona Beach Florida and was the president of the Jaycee Auxiliary. We had the honor of hosting the luncheon held for President Reagan and Wallace and I had the privilege of traveling to the airport along with the press to pick up President Reagan and the First Lady. I walked up to the airplane and greeted both of them and President Reagan kissed me on the cheek. It was an awesome experience!

Saw Ronald Reagan give a speech at the U of Nevada, Reno (UNR) in the 1980s. He was a very good speaker. Never met him though. Also heard Leonard Nimoy give a speech on his poetry at UNR as well. Nimoy was quite a good poet if I remember correctly. Never met him either but these were interesting experiences. The Poetry of Leonard Nimoy | The Retroist (http://www.retroist.com/the-poetry-of-leonard-nimoy/)

texasfal
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I accidently ran down President George Bush (the father) and James Baker, the Secretary of State. Mr. Baker had an office at the law firm where I worked in Houston and he and the President were walking down a hall as I went running around the corner and collided with Mr. Baker caujsing him to crash into the President. I helped them up, apologized profusely, said I was happy to meet them and that my name was Joanne. My name is actually Judy.

Mikitv
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
We met Thomas Kincade back in Nashville, TN at one of the gallery openings. We had purchased a picture before and he resigned it on the back for us. Got to meet his wife at that time also.

LABSX2
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
NASCAR driver, Harry Gant. He is my sister's brother-in-law.

paulandjean
05-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Bobby Knight. Jud Heathcote and Tom Izzo MSU Steve Fisher Uof M Dick Vitale University of Detroit and the Detroit Pistons. Plus many many College Coaches and players all over this country.

jdsl1998
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
My grandparents best friends where Diane Sawyer's parents. My mom used to babysit Diane. My mom said that was not always an easy task....Diane was high spirited, but fun.

CMANN
05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Jacques Cousteau, Sgt. Alvin York.

Sally Jo
05-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I met Ronald Reagan at a Ft. Wayne Zollner Piston pro basketball game. I was about thirteen at the time. I think he was working for G.E. Also, met a lot of old time pro basketball players.

hulahips
05-28-2012, 08:02 AM
My husband (while serving in the military) met Hillary Clinton at Ground Zero.

Taltarzac725
05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
My husband (while serving in the military) met Hillary Clinton at Ground Zero.

That would have been an interesting place to meet her.

OscarOlden
05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I accidently ran down President George Bush (the father) and James Baker, the Secretary of State. Mr. Baker had an office at the law firm where I worked in Houston and he and the President were walking down a hall as I went running around the corner and collided with Mr. Baker caujsing him to crash into the President. I helped them up, apologized profusely, said I was happy to meet them and that my name was Joanne. My name is actually Judy.

Why would you lie about your first name?

gatherer47
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I met Betty Lynn[Thelma Lou on Andy Griffith show] at LAX while she was waiting for a wheelchair escort.Also Dr Ferdie Pacheco[Ali's ringside doctor at Mirage Hotel in LV Nev.]At Hollywood Celebrity and Autograph show met Jonathan Winters,Ruth Buzzi,Robert Morse,Corey Feldman,Lou Ferrigno,and Hugh O'Brien.At airport in Pittsburgh met Paul Hornung,Michael Warren,Mark Malone and John Leguizamo.At dog show in NYC met Robert Vaughn,Joe Garagiola,and Vanessa Del Rio walking along Eighth Avenue.Met the Three Stooges at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and John Madden at a Holiday Inn.Met Franco Harris and Lynn Swann along with Willie Lanier in Canton Ohio.Met wrestlers George the Animal Steele and Baron Von Raschke at Plaza Hotel in Vegas.Met Michelle Phillips and Denny Doherty of Mamas and Papas in Sharon,Pa along with Michael Jackson's father Joe[eating a chili dog].Met Leslie Nielson at Mountaineer Casino in WVA.

rubicon
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Carmen Basilio, Roy Orbison, Fats Domino

As a kid I was in Syracuse on their version of American Bandstand and rushing into a restaurant slipped on the snow soak entrance right into Basilio's table. He ask me to sit down to be sure I was OK and we had a nice conversation.

Roy Orbison, Fats Domino and others,,,my friend managed a night spot in Virginia Beach and I got to hang out with the entertainers. Roy Orbison was a real nice guy and had one of the most powerful voices I have had the pleasure of hearing. I don't know how Fats Domino played piano without getting tired because he had the largest sparkling rings I ever saw on a number of fingers

cuzg8tor
05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
My most memorable celebrity is Eddie Feigner of "The King and His Court". He plus three other fast pitch softball players traveled all around the world playing all stars from industrial leagues and military bases. They always used four players to compete against a full 9-player team.

I was stationed in West Virginia while in the Navy in 1974 and our all star team played Eddie, his son and two other members of the "King and His Court" in Harrisonburg, VA. Although sick with food poisoning from a meal the night before, the four of them beat us 4-2. What made it memorable for me is that I got the hit that scored our two runs. I won't talk about him striking me out blindfolded from second base during another at bat.

Big supporters of the military and first responders, they were like the Harlem Globetrotters of softball. Just a thought - I bet some of the girl college players could put together a "Queen and Her Court" team that would be just as good as the King and His Court.

OscarOlden
05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Kevin Costner was my neighbor when I lived in Villa Park, CA.

getdul981
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
While I have "met" a few "famous" people, like Ricky Nelson, Sean Hannity and Clark Howard; the most famous and important people I personally have met are those whose names are inscribed on the Vietnam Wall in Washington DC. Of course, I don't know all of those whose names are there, but I served with a few that are there.

Sally Jo
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
cuzg8tor, I saw The King and His Court several times. They played the Ft. Wayne Zollner Piston fastball team. The Pistons seldom lost, but I don't think I ever saw them beat The King and His Court. They were great fun to watch.

Uncle Pepe
06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Having lived outside Nashville, TN for a long time, I've been able to talk with folks such as the Judds, Emmylou Harris, all the Mandrell sisters, Stella Parton, Ray Stevens and a bunch more.

Most folks in Nashville in the entertainment industry were just plain folk.

Taltarzac725
06-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Having lived outside Nashville, TN for a long time, I've been able to talk with folks such as the Judds, Emmylou Harris, all the Mandrell sisters, Stella Parton, Ray Stevens and a bunch more.

Most folks in Nashville in the entertainment industry were just plain folk.

That's nice to hear.

I grew up in Reno, NV and managed to get pretty close physically to some people that were in various shows at the casinos. BB King for instance did a show in a room not much bigger than the living room of one of the more expensive houses in the Villages.

I took some French classes at the University of Nevada, Reno which were also a magnet for some of the female show dancers from various casinos.

Had one of the weathermen from the local news channels in Reno, Nevada in some of my history classes at UNR.

Junebugs
06-02-2012, 01:28 PM
As a freshman in college, I had the opportunity to go to the White House to greet President Carter on his return from a trip. We waited in line to see him and wish him happy birthday. As he passed by, a friend of mine told him that it was my birthday, too. He stop and gave me a kiss on the cheek and wished me happy birthday. It was a real thrill and a great memory of my 18th birthday.

Taltarzac725
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
As a freshman in college, I had the opportunity to go to the White House to greet President Carter on his return from a trip. We waited in line to see him and wish him happy birthday. As he passed by, a friend of mine told him that it was my birthday, too. He stop and gave me a kiss on the cheek and wished me happy birthday. It was a real thrill and a great memory of my 18th birthday.

What a cool memory for your birthday. :smiley:

Rael Furniture In House Repair
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
jeff bleustein chairman of the board harley-davidson was aa customer in my showroom

Rael Furniture In House Repair
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
i met jeff bleustein several times when he came into my furniture showroom. he is the past chairman of the board of harley-davidson motorcycles.

CaliforniaGirl
06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Met Jaclyn Smith while waiting for a flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles that was delayed for 2 hours. Absolutely the most down-to-earth, nicest person you could ever hope to meet. Her biggest concern was getting her 12-year-old daughter home in time to get her homework done.
Got to meet David Copperfield (my secret crush) backstage at Ceasar's in Las Vegas - an anniversary present arranged by my husband, whose company transported all his show equipment all over the country. Probably the shyest person I've ever met - very unlike his stage persona.
Interviewed Lily Tomlin for my college newspaper - a real b***h.

rirlam
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Met Clint Eastwood and Sandra Locke at the Hogsbreath Inn (which he owned) in Carmel By The Sea. They and another couple came into the bar area and a buddy of mine and I moved over a couple of bar stools so the group could sit together. He was very gracious and thanked us several times for being courteous. Then another couple they knew came in, Clint got up from the bar stool and leaned against mine and me for the next twenty minutes or so until we left. He's bigger and heavier than he looks.

Also got to give Leonard Nemoy and entourage a tour of the ship as they scouted sites for Star Trek Four. Nice guy! The crew ate it up.

skyguy79
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I just remembered that back in 1968 or 69 while attending a CB Jamboree (anyone remember those) Tammy Wynett's career was just starting out and she was there giving out autographs. I got one with her picture, but it's long gone today! She passed away 14 years ago this past April.

borjo
06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
David Bromstead when he was playing pickleball with mom and dad here at Churchill then tootling around on the golf cart.

A-4 Skyhawk
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I was an air traffic controller on Midway Island in 1968 and met Bob Hope and Ann Margaret. Bob was nice. He let me swing his golf club. :kiss: Ann, and the girls with her, The Gold Diggers I think, were really into themselves. :cry:

springfield
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Way back in the 60s I went to a lecture by someone called Martin Luther King at Illinois Wesleyan. I didn't know much about the civil rights movement, it just wasn't on my radar. By the end of the evening, I was a different person. Years later, I think of that night and how close I was to this person who changed our society.
Many years later, in Springfield at Lincolnland Community College I danced the twist with Chubby Checker on stage..whoo hoo.
I met Stephen King and his wife walking their corkie on a beach near Siesta Key.
I also had the honor of meeting Michelle Obama at a luncheon long before Barrack Obama decided to run. I said after that luncheon, what a wonderful first lady she would be if he did decide to run.
That's it for my list of "famous" people. I think everyone is famous to someone, even if in a small way. We can only hope that we have touched the life of someone to make a difference.

Taltarzac725
06-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Way back in the 60s I went to a lecture by someone called Martin Luther King at Illinois Wesleyan. I didn't know much about the civil rights movement, it just wasn't on my radar. By the end of the evening, I was a different person. Years later, I think of that night and how close I was to this person who changed our society.
Many years later, in Springfield at Lincolnland Community College I danced the twist with Chubby Checker on stage..whoo hoo.
I met Stephen King and his wife walking their corkie on a beach near Siesta Key.
I also had the honor of meeting Michelle Obama at a luncheon long before Barrack Obama decided to run. I said after that luncheon, what a wonderful first lady she would be if he did decide to run.
That's it for my list of "famous" people. I think everyone is famous to someone, even if in a small way. We can only hope that we have touched the life of someone to make a difference.

What a beautiful sentiment.

De Lis
06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I have met some stars and far too many politicians to remember (most of whom nauseatingly thought they were 'stars'!).

However, the person that will always stick in my mind was Simon Weisenthal. I did not meet him, but had the honor of listening to him give a speech. Never, ever have I felt so humbled to be in the same room with someone. That was 25++ years ago and I still feel the same when I think of it.

Taltarzac725
06-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I have met some stars and far too many politicians to remember (most of whom nauseatingly thought they were 'stars'!).

However, the person that will always stick in my mind was Simon Weisenthal. I did not meet him, but had the honor of listening to him give a speech. Never, ever have I felt so humbled to be in the same room with someone. That was 25++ years ago and I still feel the same when I think of it.

Simon Wiesenthal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Wiesenthal)

There have been several Holocaust survivors who gives speeches at the Jewish Synagoue on CR101.

De Lis
06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks, T.725!

silvertoken
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Saw retired General Omar Bradley in Heidelberg Germany, I went to school with his grandson and he brought him in for show and tell. He decribed many details of D-Day and mentioned why they never bomb and save Heidelberg during the war, because it was a very beautiful place, of course with the agreement they didnt bomb a particular place in London. His favorite joke at the time was: What did Hitler say when he saw his brand new baby? Hotzi totzi I got a brand new Natzi ! I guess it was funny at the time.

Whatever
06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
PRESIDENT RICHARD M NIXON, NELSON D. ROCKERFELLER (VP), Comedian Arte Johnson, GEORGE H.W. BUSH, Val Kilmer, LBJ, Gov. Bill Richardson, NY Senator Al D'Amato, N.Y. Mayor Robert F. Wagner, Thurgood Marshal, Joe Dimaggio. Others whose names escape me for the moment. But that's to be expected once I moved to The Villages and the first thing to go is the memory.

Taltarzac725
06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
PRESIDENT RICHARD M NIXON, NELSON D. ROCKERFELLER (VP), Comedian Arte Johnson, GEORGE H.W. BUSH, Val Kilmer, LBJ, Gov. Bill Richardson, NY Senator Al D'Amato, N.Y. Mayor Robert F. Wagner, Thurgood Marshal, Joe Dimaggio. Others whose names escape me for the moment. But that's to be expected once I moved to The Villages and the first thing to go is the memory.

Impressive list of famous people met. I wonder if anyone on TOTV has met Gary Morse, Harold Schwartz, or any of the Morse family? http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-12-25/news/0312241409_1_mr-schwartz-mammoth-community-harold-schwartz

swimdawg
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Impressive list of famous people met. I wonder if anyone on TOTV has met Gary Morse, Harold Schwartz, or any of the Morse family? Harold Schwartz, 93, Founded The Villages - Sun Sentinel (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-12-25/news/0312241409_1_mr-schwartz-mammoth-community-harold-schwartz)

I didn't realize until I saw Gary's photo on the Bloomberg piece. Yes...met him down at The Square in March. He is very down-to-earth and I was shocked that the person we were chatting with was Gary Morse! Very very nice man and very unassuming!

Patty55
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I just googled Gary Morse images, there is a picture of GracieGirls avatar. I'm not kidding, it's really there.

Taltarzac725
06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I just googled Gary Morse images, there is a picture of GracieGirls avatar. I'm not kidding, it's really there.

I can actually believe that. :icon_wink: :doggie:

BobandSandy
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM

the google search found the thread regarding the billionare thread which includes Gracie's responsed

Patty55
06-07-2012, 06:43 PM
the google search found the thread regarding the billionare thread which includes Gracie's responsed

I know, I didn't think Gracie was Gary Morse in disguise, I just thought it was funny.

Scott8147
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Met Bruce Jenner in an elevator in Greensboro, NC

old moe
06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
::bigbow:Susan Lucci, we were at each others wedding. She is my wife's first cousin.:bigbow: That may get me free coffee @ Johnny Rockets:clap2:

KYWildcat
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Impressive list of famous people met. I wonder if anyone on TOTV has met Gary Morse, Harold Schwartz, or any of the Morse family? Harold Schwartz, 93, Founded The Villages - Sun Sentinel (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-12-25/news/0312241409_1_mr-schwartz-mammoth-community-harold-schwartz)

This past Sunday at Brownwood (in Central Lake, MI) I met Gary's sister and had my picture taken with her making donuts.

Tickled_pink
06-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Frankie Avalon

Met him several years ago at the Pittsburgh International Airport while waiting to pick up a friend. I still have his autograph.

kentucky blue
06-10-2012, 01:16 PM

"To the world you might be one person,but to one person you might be the world."

Taltarzac725
01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
"To the world you might be one person,but to one person you might be the world."

Very nice sentiment.

Taltarzac725
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
César Estrada Chávez, Ralph Nader, Walter Mondale while I was a law student (Class of 1989) then assistant librarian at the University of Minnesota Law School from 1986 through 1991. These people were giving speeches at the U of MN Law School and had various informal meetings with law students and others afterwards and Walter Mondale's son was in the law school one year behind (Class of 1990) me while I was there.

Shared e-mails and/or letters with Elie Wiesel, Tom Clancy, someone claiming to be "George Clooney" and a few others not as famous about activities for survivors of various kinds of crimes I have been involved in and hurdles faced in these since leaving the University of Minnesota Law Library's employ in mid-1991.

Never did find out if this was the real George Clooney but really doubt it. This was in answer to a bunch of posts I made on Findlaw's message boards from around 2001 through 2005. Got e-mails because of these from interesting people.

gerryann
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Don Ho.......ha ha

kbace6
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM

I had dinner with Senator Kennedy in 1987 when he came out to my ship (CV-41) in the Persian Gulf region. Don't agree with almost any of his politics, but that man was a heck of a politician. He could politic with the best of them. He wasn't back home but a couple of days when my father got a call from him (personaly) letting him know how I was doing.

OldDave
01-29-2013, 04:56 PM
In my career I've meet a few hundred famous people over the years, and gotten to interview most of them. Just like the rest of us, some nice, some not so much. My highlight was seeing Toni Tennille in her underwear. Sure wish her husband, and my wife hadn't of been there. Yeah, like that would have made any difference.:a20: And for those of you asking, powder blue.

mikeandnancy1112
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Back when President Reagan was running against Wallace I was living in Daytona Beach. I was president of the Jaycee Auxiliary and we were hosting the luncheon at the Hilton during their campaign. I had the honor of riding with the press on a bus to pick up President Reagan and Nancy Reagan at the airport. As they stepped off the airplane we were there to greet them and I introduced myself. President Reagan kissed me on the cheek. It has been quite a memorable experience and one I will never forget.

mgjim
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Met Senator Eugene McCarthy at a Saint John's University (Minnesota) football game in the '60s. Met former Vice President Walter Mondale at the funeral of a mutual friend a couple of years ago. Had lunch with John Amos at a USO fund-raiser in New York. For those of you who remember Larry "Bud" Mellman from the early days of the David Letterman Show, I sat with him at a golf tournament banquet in Brooklyn in the '90s.

DougB
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I met Jesus about 40 years ago. He has been my best friend since.

gocubsgo
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
In 1986 when I owned a bakery back in Illinois, I had the privileged of making Nancy Reagan's 65th birthday cake. Her and President Reagan were at his boyhood home in Tampico for a renovation grand reveal and we delivered our cake to her there. Ronald Reagan was wonderful...friendly and approachable.

Also, Jack Dempsey is my Godfather. My Dad was a sports writer and covered pro boxing and boy's baseball (odd combo!). He befriended Jack and when 2 tipsy Irishmen get together, strange things happen !

stuckinparadise
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Sinese. He came to Ft. Rucker with his band to entertain at the base. During his stay he came to our facility to fly one of the helicopter simulators. I talked to him briefly and he shook my hand. Very nice guy! He did a great job flying.

2BNTV
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
My cousin is good friends and still in contact with Cathy Moriarty who came to a Christmas dinner at my aunt house. I remember her siting on the couch as my nephew trying to pick her up. She was sixteen and he was 10. It was cute.

My understanding is that she was modeling and was spotted and got the role of Vicki LaMotta in Raging Bull with Bobby Deniro. My cousin is supposedly in that film in the pool scene. She was in the next chair next to Cathy. I have seen the film but didn't recognize her as she was wearing a brown wig and I am used to seeing her as a blond. :smiley:

My son has met several celebrities as he worked in many top hotels they frequent. Like Shaquille O'Neal and Dan Marino. He's talked to Madonna, Stephen King, and others he probably hasn't mentioned.

tucson
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I met Jesus about 40 years ago. He has been my best friend since.

You have the BEST friend out of all the other entries!! :-) PTL

dalecrenshaw
01-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Jane Fonda - Met her, when she was in her early 20's, backstage at a Broadway play

Liz Taylor & Richard Burton - their yacht, named Kalizma, was moored next to my Father's yacht for several days in Rye, NY in the ealy 1960's.

Warren Beatty - in the cocktail lounge at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel

Jill St. John - Beautiful hair & figure - at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel

Gary Grant - at a movie premier in NYC - absolutely the most gorgeous man

Burl Ives - his yacht was disabled and the crew of my Father's yacht rescued him in the Bahamas in the early 60's.

Andy Williams - he use to sit a lunch counter in NYC, where I use to go when I was a student in the 60's, and he would sit there and hum songs...before he got really famous. Gorgeous blue eyes.

Clint Estwood - at the Hog's Breath Inn in Carmel, CA (looks just like in the movies)

Brandon De Wilde - he was the young boy in the movie, Shane. He use to hang out with us in the summer when we were teenagers at the beach in Bay Head, NJ.

Bob Cummings - Had his own show called the "Bob Cummings Show" and "Love that Bob" in the 1950's. He was a partner with my Father in a vitamin company called Nutra Bio.

John_W
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
About 1975 when I was working as a controller at St. Pete-Clearwater Airport, I couldn't help but mistake the voice of a pilot for that of Arthur Godfrey. It was about 8pm and was kind of slow so me and another controller went down to the ramp just as he taxied in. He was flying a Beech Baron, which is a pretty hot twin engine plane by himself at night time. So I was kind of amazed at that considering he was probably about 70 years old. He was very nice and we asked if he needed a hand, so we helped carry in his luggage.

I saw many sights during the three years I worked there. I also met on the ramp golfer Arnold Palmer and attorney F. Lee Bailey.

doran
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
My wife owned The Travel Connection of Beverly Hills, CA and has done business and Fund Raising in Beverly Hills for many causes, it did not hurt that Don Pack, a very famous Hollywood and Socialite Photographer was one of her minions. The list is long and I am certainly going to make it easy. At the time her name was Suzie Harris. Now we are just plain old Villagers. If you think we are being anything but entertaining, you are wrong. Cheers!

George Burns-fundraising
Alexander Haig-fundraising
Sammy Davis Jr.-client
Elizabeth Taylor-client, fundraiser
Iron Eyes Cody-friend,fundraiser
Zah-Zah Gabor-client, fundraiser
Jim Belushi-client
Sybil Brand-client, fundraiser
Jack Klugman-fundraiser
Dennis Weaver-fundraiser
The Jackson Five-clients
Marcie Weiner- Socialite, fundraiser, publisher
George Barris- friend, fundraiser,Builder of original Batmobile, just sold $4M.
Alice Cooper-Golf Partner@ Dinah Shore Pro-Am Palm Springs area
Don King-friend, client
Larry Carroll-sportscaster, friend
Ceaser Romero-fundraiser, hot for my mother
Danny Kaye-fundraiser
Lillie Tomlin-client
Lou Rawls-client
RoseMarie-fundraising
O.J. Simpson-Used to Hang around The Daisy in Beverly Hills which was one of my haunts, Nicole Brown was employed there.
Prince Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia- wonderful client!
Wolfgang Puck-business associate, at that time he was broke
Frank and Nancy Sinatra, fellow patrons of Polo at Indio, CA
Pat Boone-fund raising, next door
Fred Hamann- fundraiser, clothier
and many more, since I am old I can not remember, it was long ago. Have lots of pictures that can be e-maile on request.

Santa Claus-philanthropist, Best story for last. We were just sitting down at a long beautifully decorated table one Christmas Eve with our closest friends and family when the bell rang. I jumped up to the door and it is Santa Claus, in the most natural original outfit we had seen. His car had broken down on his way somewhere , so I invited him to join us for dinner. He was delightful!. We drank French Champagne and I do not remember what happened after that.

gatherer47
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Franco Harris-He wanted to know all about me Holiday Inn Pittsburgh,Joe Garagiola,Robert Vaughn,Dog Show NYC,Leslie Nielson-elevator at casino in WVA,Rip Taylor,Ruth Buzzie,Robert Morse.Jonathan Winters,Gary Owens,Joe Flynn-Hollywood CA

OldDave
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
OK, so I tried to make a list off the top of my head of people I actually remember interviewing. I have no idea where my records are:

Buckminster Fuller
Gene Rodenberry
Blackstone
Rich Little, in his underwear
Buddy Rich, in his underwear
Henry Mancini
Captain and Tennille, in her underwear, him, no
Earl Butz (no great prize there)
Isaac Stern
Zubin Mehta’s wife (he didn’t want to talk because there had been a bomb threat)
Ruth Laredo
Gary Graffman
Eugenia Zuckerman
Nancy Kassebaum
Bob Dole
Cathy Rigby
Milburn Stone
Edward Teller
Teller of Penn and
Bill Daly
Orville Reddenbacher

And

Kirstie Alley, actually went to high school with her, but never met her
Cynthia Sykes, went to college and played on a softball team with her. She was much better than me.

Gat0r
01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
I was in a small bar in Nederland Colorado in 1973 and in walked Joe Walsh and Neil Young.I talked with them for awhile, then they asked the band if they could sit in, what a interesting
night. They owned homes in the area and frequented the bar.

Monkei
01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Met? As in shaking their hand and talking for a minute or so?

Clint Eastwood on a Navy golf course in New Orleans.
Red Skelton in the Reno Airport
Rosey Grier in a magazine store at LAX
Rick Flair at some airport. He was much shorter and smaller than I thought he would be.
Joe Paterno about 5 years ago in Indiana at the Purdue game.
Jimmy Carter when he was running for governor in Georgia. I worked for his campaign as a school project in Warner Robiins, ga
James Browns last wife who sat beside me in seat 1c on a red eye flight from Las Vegas to Atlanta where she was doing the Legends Show as Janis Joplin. Talked the whole flight while she got drunk on wine.
Peter Fonda in Bozeman Montaba where we were both buying boots.
There have been a few more over the years mostly from traveling every week for my job all over the country. Not counting politicians who I met via my job. They are not famous to me.

billethkid
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Cascious Clay.....at airport baggage pick up...he signed autographs and did a couple of his magic tricks.

Richard Boone....on first class flight to England.

Glenn Ford....in airport gift shop....he was looking for cigars.

David Soul....American Airlines Club.

Jesse Jackson....waiting in line to board a plane in Washington DC.

The above points out that airports are a great place to see/meet celebrities.....if one is a frequent flier.

btk

Bavarian
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Bonnie Franklin, on airplane bus at Dulles years ago, before Dulles switched to terminals. The busse came to aircraft, took you to the main terminal. She was gracious, taking with her male assistant just a few feet from me, whereas the young women with her griped about riding the bus the whole time. Showed class.

When in High School we lived near a college and Ted Kennedy was to land his helicopter there to run around Philadelphia campaigning, thought a chance to meet a senator, so went there and stood right where his limo was.

Saw Mike Douglus as a member of the studio audience.

eremite06
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Robin Williams at Alice's Restaurant, Brentwood, Ca. 1979.

anarick
01-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Tony Bennett--Delivered art supplies to his apartment in Manhattan long long ago.
Rodney Dangerfield--Bummed a cigarette from me while I was waiting on line to get into his nightclub in NY.
Don King--Sat next to him in a restaurant in Soho
Susan Lucci--Met her in Vegas. Super nice lady
Frankie Valle--Met him after one of his shows in Mohegan Sun Casino.

btf2008
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
In my former and current line of work, I had the pleasure of meeting many celebs and a few Presidents/First Ladies. Most recent was during this past Presidential campaign...Michelle Obama is so down to earth and very personable. Absolutely my favorite!

I also met Mit Romney several times and had a conversation with him each time. I found him to be very personable too. He remembered my name and the conversation we had to time before. Very Cool!!

Favorite Country singers that I met are Lorrie Morgan and Billy Dean...least favorite is Alan Jackson.

:police:

PennBF
02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Most memorable was playing "Chop Sticks" on the piano with Elanor Roosevelt in 1944. Also met Pele the Soccer great, Charlie Byrd, Bob Hope, Ray Charles,
Tony Bennett, at concerts, and a lot more. :wave:

John_W
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I grew up in St. Petersburg not far from Al Lang Field. As a teenager in the 60's I use to go there all the time for spring training games and try and get autographs.

One day the Yankees were playing and I was standing outside the stadium waiting for the players to go to the bus. I just happen to notice the guy standing next to me was Roger Maris in his civies mixed in with all of us autograph seekers. He had just been traded to the Cardinals and they were based in St. Pete but were off that day. He had come to see some of his old Yankee teammates. I remember when he gave me an autograph, he didn't seem agitated or putout like some of the other guys. Really nice fellow.

A few minutes later I noticed a big black limo pull up in front of Al Lang Field. I couldn't see through the dark windows, I just grabbed the door handle and opened the back door and out stepped Casey Stengel. He had also come to see some of his old players. He gave me an autograph right on the spot.

Once everyone had cleared out, I walked inside the stadium and looked around and noticed a couple of guys in the press box. It was Lindsey Nelson and Joe Garagiola. I use to hear Lindsey Nelson every Sunday morning when he did the replay of the Notre Dame games, he was my favorite announcer. I asked for their autogtraphs and Joe said, help me carry some things to my car and I'll give you one. At first I was disappointed because I wanted Lindsey's, but he seemed busy. Joe gave me a tape deck and I carried it out to his car. He asked what's my name, and he wrote me a personalized autograph, he was a real nice guy.

Quixote
02-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Harry S Truman—I was associate editor of a weekly trade journal covering an event at which President Truman was the keynote speaker. He was a bigger man than I had thought, very down to earth, with a beefy handshake and a broad smile (in contrast to his daughter Margaret Truman Daniel who accompanied him, who was aloof bordering on unpleasant). This took place about ten years after he left the Presidency.

Nelson Rockefeller—He made an appearance at the same company as above (different occasion) while campaigning for the governorship of New York State. All smiles and hand-shaking, he struck me as THE consummate politician. He was not that tall, but he had the broadest head I had ever seen on anyone (could not imagine what his hat size must have been)!

Pete Seeger—I sat opposite him in an airport terminal waiting area and kept glancing at him until I thought I knew who he was. I caught his eye and asked, "I know you, don't I?" to which he pointed at his banjo case and replied, "You know this." We had a chat that was both delightful and serious, ended up on the same flight, and when I was returning a few days later, sure enough we were on the same flight again. It turned out that back in the 1940s, when he had first come to California, he had stayed with the parents of the cousin there whom I was visiting who were friends of his (another "small world" story)!

Lt. Gen. Howard Graves, Superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, at his and his wife Gracie—I attended their yard sale at the Point when he was retiring. He later became chancellor of the state university of Texas. (The Point still has an annual community-wide yard sale, though security is greater now after 9/11 than it was before.) We talked very frankly for about a half hour, and I was very moved by what I learned. I even bought a military memento from them which, on my request, he documented a few days later with a note on West Point stationery.

Lester Pierson, Prime Minister of Canada in the 1960s—He was standing and chatting with two other men on the front portico of the Parliament building in Ottawa. My cousin, who lived there and had just given me a tour of the building different from the one available to the public, introduced me as his "cousin who is visiting from the States." He was very approachable and politely cordial. I was frankly awed that there was no security a la "secret service" and that he made himself so freely available to the public.

2BNTV
02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
WOW - Harry S. Truman!!!! That must have been something.

JohnFromMaine
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
My most memorable was that, when I was 8 or 9, Peggy Wood (The Mother Superior in "The Sound of Music.") :sing: took me to my elementary school fair because my Mom couldn't. Her husband and my Dad owned competing printing companies and were good friends. I can remember that she wore a bright flowing flower print dress, a huge wide brimmed straw hat with a ribbon and bow, and, of course, the requisite dark glasses.

When I was 11 or 12, Commander Whitehead of Schweppes tonic fame, complete with trademark goatee, was a neighbor and his son, Charles, was a playmate. The Commander did a photo layout magazine ad for Schweppes on my Dad's sailboat.

When I was about 13, I taught John Philip Sousa III and his son, John Philip Sousa IV, how to sail. John Philip Sousa III was renting a house for the summer two doors down from us.

Also, when I was in my teens I watched as a "well oiled" :wine: Mel Allen made a pass at my Mom. He was a friend of my best bud's Dad and they were over for cocktails. Needless to say, I was royally PO'ed :rant-rave: ... another reason why I have detested the NY Yankees all my life.

Lastly, Ed Koch, former out-spoken, curmudgeonly, lovable mayor of NYC, known for always asking folks; "How'm I doin'?" who recently died at age 88.
A humorous story happened when I met Mayor Koch; Back in 1987, when he was honoring our family NYC printing company in a private ceremony as we celebrated the business's 150th anniversary. While waiting in his outer office I was a bit nervous and needed to use the rest room next door. As I stood at the urinal, who should walk up to the one next to me but the mayor himself. He gave a quiet sigh of relief and my nervousness ... well, it was flushed away. He was a delightful man. God bless and rest in peace Mr. Mayor.

Taltarzac725
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
My most memorable was that, when I was 8 or 9, Peggy Wood (The Mother Superior in "The Sound of Music.") :sing: took me to my elementary school fair because my Mom couldn't. Her husband and my Dad owned competing printing companies and were good friends. I can remember that she wore a bright flowing flower print dress, a huge wide brimmed straw hat with a ribbon and bow, and, of course, the requisite dark glasses.

When I was 11 or 12, Commander Whitehead of Schweppes tonic fame, complete with trademark goatee, was a neighbor and his son, Charles, was a playmate. The Commander did a photo layout magazine ad for Schweppes on my Dad's sailboat.

When I was about 13, I taught John Philip Sousa III and his son, John Philip Sousa IV, how to sail. John Philip Sousa III was renting a house for the summer two doors down from us.

Also, when I was in my teens I watched as a "well oiled" :wine: Mel Allen made a pass at my Mom. He was a friend of my best bud's Dad and they were over for cocktails. Needless to say, I was royally PO'ed :rant-rave: ... another reason why I have detested the NY Yankees all my life.

Lastly, Ed Koch, former out-spoken, curmudgeonly, lovable mayor of NYC, known for always asking folks; "How'm I doin'?" who recently died at age 88.
A humorous story happened when I met Mayor Koch; Back in 1987, when he was honoring our family NYC printing company in a private ceremony as we celebrated the business's 150th anniversary. While waiting in his outer office I was a bit nervous and needed to use the rest room next door. As I stood at the urinal, who should walk up to the one next to me but the mayor himself. He gave a quiet sigh of relief and my nervousness ... well, it was flushed away. He was a delightful man. God bless and rest in peace Mr. Mayor.

What a nice rendition of famous people met.

twinklesweep
02-08-2013, 02:33 AM
I met Baseball Hall of Famer Bob Feller (RIP) and Mrs. Feller AND Olympic ice skater Scott Hamilton and Mrs. Hamilton and their baby on the same flight to Cleveland some years ago. They all got off the plane there, while for me it was a stopover. Scott and I stood in the front of our small section just outside the door to the cockpit discussing cancer, survival, and our feelings about it. All “just plain folks,” down to earth and unassuming. (And me not even a baseball fan!)

Belmont4-150
02-18-2013, 05:23 AM
Valerie Bertinelli...danced with her at a dance club in Redondo Beach while Eddie VH jammed on stage
Howard Cosell and Muhammed Ali...LAX, parked in limo behind me. Driver bumped my car and they both came out to see if I was OK
Jim Rice, Jim Palmer and 2 others I forget. They were in a foursome in front of me on a course in Bermuda, 1979. We talked, pics, etc on several tee boxes.
Brad Delp...Lead singer, Boston. Sat next to him at a Celtics game then years later when he played at a private fundraiser.
And many more.....

Ecuadog
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
In the summer of '64, Carl Furillo used to make my lunch most days. He owned a deli then. I think that's my fondest encounter.

TrudyM
02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Met Julianna Margulies in the 80’s at an alumni event at my high school as she went to the same one and was there on alumni day, who knew she would become so famous. Many of the people I went to high school with at High Mowing Waldorf school ended up in the TV and film industry but most are on the production side so no names you would recognize.
Waited on Cher at Liberty House department store when I was a manager in the 70's and she had terrible acne but was very nice.
Met Vincent Price and Coral Brown, Shirley Jones and Marty Ingeles while on crusies on Royal Viking line. I was traveling with my mom and my son who was 7 or 8 at the time. As one of the few kids on the ship he loved helping out the cruise staff handing out bingo cards and trivia quiz sheets etc. The celebs on board took a liking to him and he ended up sitting with them during bingo and Vincent Price phoned our room and invited him to watch batman in the movie theatre with him. He talked to us and tried to convince us to enroll our son in acting classes but we never did.

Mack184
02-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I have had the good fortune to have never worked a day in my life. Instead I have spent almost all of 4 decades on the radio. In that time I've had the opportunity to meet lots and lots of people. Most of the people I've met have been in the music business. Most of them have been C&W performers, who are by far the most accessible & friendly performers out there. I've had the special opportunity to meet everyone from presidents to porn..er..um..uh.."Adult" stars. So for what it's worth:

Music people: Tom T. Hall, Sonny James, The Kendalls, Larry Gatlin & Brothers, Loretta Lynn, Tanya Tucker, LaCosta Tucker (Tanya's older sister), Jerry Reed, Mickey Gilley, T.G. Sheppard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Billy Walker, Little Jimmy Dickens, Ben Burnley of Breaking Benjamin and...Ozzie. Yes..The Ozzie. Really.

Political people: Mike Pence-Former US House Rep & Current Governor of Indiana. I knew Mike when he was just a talk show host on WIBC in Indianapolis. President Ford (twice). He was one of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere. I met him once when he was president and once after he was out of office. The thing that shocked me, was when I got to meet him again the 2nd time he actually remembered my name. I was stunned. President Reagan. All I have to say is WOW!

Sports people: Rays Coach Joe Maddon, AL Umpire-Ron Luciano, WWF Wrestler-Big Show, George Forman-when he was still fighting. He had the fastest hands I have ever seen in my life. I'm not little and he nearly crushed my hand when he shook it. Evel Knievel.

Comics:Frank Caliendo-All I can say is Oh My God! What a funny, funny, funny man!

Porn..er..um..uh..Adult Entertainment people: BellaDonna, Chessie Moore, Nina Hartley, Ron Jeremy, Flower Tucci, Jada Fire & Miz Panther.

I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of music performers. But as I said..I've never worked a day in my life, and yet I got a paycheck. I have been a VERY lucky man!

redwitch
02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Love some of these stories but I'm truly scratching my head -- how does anyone interview Teller? You mean the man will actually talk in public? So hard to imagine!!!!!

Mack184
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Love some of these stories but I'm truly scratching my head -- how does anyone interview Teller? You mean the man will actually talk in public? So hard to imagine!!!!!
Maybe he squeaks or honks like Harpo Marx did!

CFrance
02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
My great uncle was Jimmy Doolittle, WWII pilot. A bit of a curmudgeon an the time I knew him!

senior citizen
02-20-2013, 06:16 AM
This may not seem as exciting as many of the above earlier posts, but I was pleased to meet and speak with the daughter of the original Maria Von Trapp (Sound of Music fame). She was in her Austrian costume and looked exactly like her mother, as one would see her in the old photos after they fled Europe and had resettled in the Green Mountains of Vermont, which reminded them of their beloved Austria. She looked like her mom did at an older age........not as portrayed by Julie Andrews.

Very nice lady to converse with at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont.

Taltarzac725
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
This may not seem as exciting as many of the above earlier posts, but I was pleased to meet and speak with the daughter of the original Maria Von Trapp (Sound of Music fame). She was in her Austrian costume and looked exactly like her mother, as one would see her in the old photos after they fled Europe and had resettled in the Green Mountains of Vermont, which reminded them of their beloved Austria. She looked like her mom did at an older age........not as portrayed by Julie Andrews.

Very nice lady to converse with at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont.

Nice story. :popcorn:

travelguy
03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Robert F. Kennedy (he was campaigning in Philadelphia a few weeks before he was assasinated)
Al Jarreau (at the airport in Detroit)
John Loprieno...from One Life to Live.. (and his family), they were in line to see The Lion King in New York and we struck up a conversation.
Harvey Fierstein (when he was performing in Fiddler on the Roof).
Charo (in Las Vegas) when she was rehearsing for her show and we just sneaked in..she is fabulous.
and maybe more...when I remember!

Bogie Shooter
03-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Speaking of old threads.....................

Taltarzac725
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Speaking of old threads.....................

New people come on TOTV and this looks like a worthwhile thread that has some of the pioneer posters on TOTV reactions. I try to keep one eye on the past and one on the future. Nice way to get a headache however.

Bogie Shooter
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
New people come on TOTV and this looks like a worthwhile thread that has some of the pioneer posters on TOTV reactions. I try to keep one eye on the past and one on the future. Nice way to get a headache however.

And they are going to read 187 posts!

graciegirl
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I haven't met Gary Morse and Bogie Shooter and would like to.

COgolfer
03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I grew up in Orlando in the early 60s and saw Alan Shepard's launch from outside my first grade school room. Ever since, I've been following the space program. In the late 70s and the 80s, I lived in the LA area, and was actually involved in the space program in a few different ways. I've met a number of astronauts, including the entire Apollo 11 crew (at different times).
The most memorable, and interesting story was meeting Neil Armstrong along with Paul Newman. I was working at the California Museum of Science and Industry (now the California Science Center), and we had several nice spacecraft models. We got a call from someone connected with Ford that they wanted to borrow the models for the taping of a TV show for the 60th anniversary of Ford's founding. Paul Newman was going to interview Neil Armstrong.
We told them that we would have to send some people along to safeguard the models :laugh: We got to meet them during a break in the taping. Armstrong was very impressive in his ability to deliver a well-thought out response to the questions Newman asked him without a script.
The highlight though was when Armstrong turned it around and asked Newman what entertainment from that time (the 70s) would be remembered 60 years later. Newman responded "You mean besides Butch Cassidy and The Sting?"
Another highlight from my time at the museum was having dinner with Deke Slayton, and presenting him with a photograph I took of him at a press conference.
I also got to meet with a number of space science and science fiction personalities including:
Carl Sagan
Ray Bradbury
Arthur C Clarke
Robert Heinlein
Jerry Pournelle

2BNTV
03-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Gracie you are a hoot!!! :1rotfl:

Taltarzac725
03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Gracie you are a hoot!!! :1rotfl:

WWGGD. :spoken: :coolsmiley:

Sage327
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
While living in NY I did some babysitting for Paul McCartney's late wife, Linda. This was before she was married to Paul. Also was a volunteer at a Celebrity Senior Golf Tournament in NY and had my picture taken with Steven Van Zandt of the Bruce Springsteen band. At the time he had a role in the TV show The Sopranos.

Taltarzac725
04-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Please keep them coming.

Arnold S. is short and rude? Interesting.

Taltarzac725
04-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I was in the Navy (seabees) and was assigned while stationed at 31st Naval Construction Regiment to the leading Builder installing temporary buildings and security systems at President Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara, calf. when the project was completed, We got the word that the President wanted to host a bar BBQ for the crew about 80 of us in total. I had put in a request to reenlist. Along story cut short is I re enlisted on President Reagan's front porch of his small house with him and Nancy present. The picture of President Reagan and myself was still hanging in the Seabee Museum in Port Hueneme, Calf. when I retired in 1990. I also meet John Wayne but that's a different story.

Cool story. :read:

paulandjean
04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Dick Vitale, MSU Tom Izzo.Jud Heathcote,Uof Michigan Steve Fisher, Indiana Bob Knight.The list goes on and on. Many college All-American and Professional athletes.

DougB
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Arnold S. is short and rude? Interesting.

Jackie Gleason told me to get the hell out of his golf cart. Talk about rude!

Uncle Tom
04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
I knew her in Houston before she was famous. She married the Texas billonaire, and she always had drug addiction issues. I knew it was a matter of time before she would pass away. Her mother was a Harris county deputy, So all I have to say is Dont Do Drugs.

Hopeful2
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Vice President, Joe Biden, was one of my professors when I was a student at Widener Law School (in Delaware). We had some interesting discussions on constitutional law.

Taltarzac725
04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Vice President, Joe Biden, was one of my professors when I was a student at Widener Law School (in Delaware). We had some interesting discussions on constitutional law.

I''ll bet. Walter Mondale showed up at the University of Minnesota Law School while I attended it (1986-1989)(Class of 1989) as well as after when I was working in the Law Library cataloging all the WESTLAW files; doing a little reference; checking Document Delivery for a cute nose ringed blonde female U of MN student and a guy U of MN student that used to ask me quite often how my many language courses I was taking at the U of MN were going (Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese); and cataloging foreign language materials. Why was I taking all those languages was because of the cataloging of foreign materials. I had won the Outstanding Reader of French Award while at the University of Nevada, Reno so I did not take any more of that language and had taken some Spanish at the College of San Mateo as a hobby just before going to Law School in 1986. My German--also taken at the University of Nevada, Reno-- had become really rusty, so I had taken some more of that.

Caesar Chavez, Ralph Nader and a few other notable people lectured at the U of MN Law School as guests as well.

Wish I could remember the names of the cute nose-ringed blonde and the curious guy library worker about my progress in languages as my claiming doing Document Delivery on my resume and that Law Library not backing me up cost me quite a large number of job interviews going South notably at the Washoe County Courthouse Law Library in Reno, Nevada and at the mainly African American law school of North Carolina Central University in Durham. People at the law library in Circulation had asked me to help with Document Delivery. Kind of a surprise when you fly or drive a long way and then find out that a former employer is poking holes in your resume. So, for that and other reasons my experiences at the U of MN Law School and Library were quite tainted.

paulandjean
04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I''ll bet. Walter Mondale showed up at the University of Minnesota Law School while I attended it (1986-1989)(Class of 1989) as well as after when I was working in the Law Library cataloging all the WESTLAW files; doing a little reference; checking Document Delivery for a cute nose ringed blonde female U of MN student and a guy U of MN student that used to ask me quite often how my many language courses I was taking at the U of MN were going (Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese); and cataloging foreign language materials. Why was I taking all those languages was because of the cataloging of foreign materials. I had won the Outstanding Reader of French Award while at the University of Nevada, Reno so I did not take any more of that language and had taken some Spanish at the College of San Mateo as a hobby just before going to Law School in 1986. My German--also taken at the University of Nevada, Reno-- had become really rusty, so I had taken some more of that.

Caesar Chavez, Ralph Nader and a few other notable people lectured at the U of MN Law School as guests as well.

Wish I could remember the names of the cute nose-ringed blonde and the curious guy library worker about my progress in languages as my claiming doing Document Delivery on my resume and that Law Library not backing me up cost me quite a large number of job interviews going South notably at the Washoe County Courthouse Law Library in Reno, Nevada and at the mainly African American law school of North Carolina Central University in Durham. People at the law library in Circulation had asked me to help with Document Delivery. Kind of a surprise when you fly or drive a long way and then find out that a former employer is poking holes in your resume. So, for that and other reasons my experiences at the U of MN Law School and Library were quite tainted.

You lost me...............................

Taltarzac725
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
You lost me...............................

I had wanted to be honest about my interest in a niche in the delivery of victim services while looking for work in law librarianship-- via access to practical information through libraries-- after the U of MN Law School and Library management decided not to renew my employment contact in 1991. I had become very interested in victim services after the 2-24-1976 murder of my then Earl Wooster High School teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 is also my birthday and Mrs. Barbara Mitchell gave me and another student in 1976-1977 the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. Mrs. Mitchell had played a pivotal role in my high school life before her daughter Michelle was murdered.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) paid to fly me from Chicago--where I was caring for a paraplegic relative Bill E. who had two limbs blown off during WWII in Italy by a Panzer tank's tree burst shell-- to Durham. They had a Law Professor who had been a victim of crime and seemed to share some of my interests. The interview with NCCU went well until I got to the Dean's Office and then was accused by the Deans of lying on my resume about Document Delivery. I was shocked by the whole thing. I had done Document Delivery at the U of Minnesota Law School. That's when some library user off campus wants a copy of say page 22 in volume 24 of Minnesota Reports. You copy it when you are sure you have the right page and then fax or mail it to them depending on their instructions. I was checking the work of two employees because I had been asked to do this by the Circulation Department. Document Delivery is as common say to academic law librarianship as dribbling is to basketball.

It was par for the course though with my fight for victims' services accessible through law school libraries and public librraies. I have encountered dirty trick after dirty trick. That's why my enthusiasm for the University of Minnesota Law School and Library is seriously curbed. Roughly the same thing happened at the Washoe County Law Library in Reno, Nevada. I paid to drive there from the Santa Rosa, CA area and then the Law Library Director accused me about lying about Document Delivery at the U of MN Law Library on my resume. I had checked in libraries all over Reno from late February 1976 through when I moved from Reno for practical materials for survivors of crimes and found very little of any real use. That was while I was working my way through college at the University of Nevada, Reno with 2 BAs in Philosophy and History and getting a start on 2 MAs in the same area that I did very little work on at that time.

I mentioned some of these problems during a UCSF School of Public Health (U of CA San Francisco) study in January through March or so of 1993 on stress on the unemployed. I was subject #613. I have used 224 and 613 in my massive fight for respect for survivors of crimes since then.

I have continued fighting for better access for victims services through libraries since 1991 or so. You would think with what is in the news with the shootings and mental health system problems that people would see how important this is? Libraries must be involved in this. I do have a bias towards education and humanism. Of course, people can do a lot of this kind of work now through Facebook and over other Internet sources like TOTV (I have a lot of stuff on victims services in the support group section) but they do have to know how to dig for information.

dndlion
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
We were staying at Shades of Green at Disney when I peeked out the window and saw Tiger teeing off on the 10th hole for a practice round, woke the misses up(never have seen her get ready so fast) and headed out to see him practice. I lifted one of the ropes so Tiger and Notah Begay could get to the tee box. They both said thank you.

The best way to watch the pros play is during the practice rounds......

Taltarzac725
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
We were staying at Shades of Green at Disney when I peeked out the window and saw Tiger teeing off on the 10th hole for a practice round, woke the misses up(never have seen her get ready so fast) and headed out to see him practice. I lifted one of the ropes so Tiger and Notah Begay could get to the tee box. They both said thank you.

The best way to watch the pros play is during the practice rounds......

Now, that's a really nice story. :BigApplause:

DougB
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I had wanted to be honest about my interest in a niche in the delivery of victim services while looking for work in law librarianship-- via access to practical information through libraries-- after the U of MN Law School and Library management decided not to renew my employment contact in 1991. I had become very interested in victim services after the 2-24-1976 murder of my then Earl Wooster High School teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 is also my birthday and Mrs. Barbara Mitchell gave me and another student in 1976-1977 the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. Mrs. Mitchell had played a pivotal role in my high school life before her daughter Michelle was murdered.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) paid to fly me from Chicago--where I was caring for a paraplegic relative Bill E. who had two limbs blown off during WWII in Italy by a Panzer tank's tree burst shell-- to Durham. They had a Law Professor who had been a victim of crime and seemed to share some of my interests. The interview with NCCU went well until I got to the Dean's Office and then was accused by the Deans of lying on my resume about Document Delivery. I was shocked by the whole thing. I had done Document Delivery at the U of Minnesota Law School. That's when some library user off campus wants a copy of say page 22 in volume 24 of Minnesota Reports. You copy it when you are sure you have the right page and then fax or mail it to them depending on their instructions. I was checking the work of two employees because I had been asked to do this by the Circulation Department. Document Delivery is as common say to academic law librarianship as dribbling is to basketball.

It was par for the course though with my fight for victims' services accessible through law school libraries and public librraies. I have encountered dirty trick after dirty trick. That's why my enthusiasm for the University of Minnesota Law School and Library is seriously curbed. Roughly the same thing happened at the Washoe County Law Library in Reno, Nevada. I paid to drive there from the Santa Rosa, CA area and then the Law Library Director accused me about lying about Document Delivery at the U of MN Law Library on my resume. I had checked in libraries all over Reno from late February 1976 through when I moved from Reno for practical materials for survivors of crimes and found very little of any real use. That was while I was working my way through college at the University of Nevada, Reno with 2 BAs in Philosophy and History and getting a start on 2 MAs in the same area that I did very little work on at that time.

I mentioned some of these problems during a UCSF School of Public Health (U of CA San Francisco) study in January through March or so of 1993 on stress on the unemployed. I was subject #613. I have used 224 and 613 in my massive fight for respect for survivors of crimes since then.

I have continued fighting for better access for victims services through libraries since 1991 or so. You would think with what is in the news with the shootings and mental health system problems that people would see how important this is? Libraries must be involved in this. I do have a bias towards education and humanism. Of course, people can do a lot of this kind of work now through Facebook and over other Internet sources like TOTV (I have a lot of stuff on victims services in the support group section) but they do have to know how to dig for information.

Now I'm lost ...

Taltarzac725
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Now I'm lost ...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/84750-post2.html A lot of these links are dead ends. They were active at one time.

This might explain it a bit better. That's the link above. I wrote everyone I could think of during my massive effort to improve the game for survivors of crimes unwillingly dragged into the legal system. These people could fit a huge number of categories-- a survivor of a mass shooting, a rape victim, a battered woman, etc. Also though a battered woman who fights back who becomes a defendant in a case, someone who stupidly takes the law in their own hands in some vigilante action, a beaten up defendant in some prison setting, etc.

I do not see things in black and white. It is often very hard to define who is actually the victim from case-to-case.

Many of the people I tried to get involved with this are rich and famous. I never met any of them but tried to tell my story as much as I could and as well as I could over the Internet. Celebrities do have e-mail addresses as do news programs, TV shows, etc. I posted supporting documents for instance on Findlaw's message boards I believe starting in 2002. The sysop told me when I first starting posting that it would be a perfect vehicle for my fight. A few days after that I became cannon fodder for every lawyer and law student it seemed on Findlaw's message boards. The sysop commiserated and really could not explain how everything went so wrong so quickly. It got worse and worse as a defendant from Chesterfield County, Virginia I tried to help targeted every post I made on Findlaw with remarks little better than you would find on a Junior High School bathroom wall but these troll postings continued unabated for years until the defendant bragged about what he had done on Findlaw with years of baiting. It took me a long time to figure out who was doing this to me.

A lot of people however saw the documents I posted on Findlaw's message boards which showed significant support for improving access to survivors/victims to information. It should be a common sensical no brainer, but....

...call the local libraries and sheriffs' offices to find out why they do not have the Florida Victim Services Directory http://myfloridalegal.com/directory linked on their websites. This seems like something that would be extremely easy to do and is just common sense. I also doubt if there is much if any cost involved with adding such a link to sites that should be used to advertise help for survivors/victims of crimes.

I also remember a woman on Findlaw who was in serious need of help with finding mental health resources in her area of the Tennessee/Kentucky border near some military base. Her military service boyfriend was trying to help her but the cops did not seem to do much of anything and she ended up driving her car into oncoming traffic and killing herself and probably also the people she drove her vehicle into. If I remember correctly she had seen her mother murdered and had suffered from long term depression as well as self-mutilating. The boyfriend also had mentioned that she was strikingly beautiful and very persuasive when she wanted to be.

Would also for that reason and many others like to see more links in logical places--like public libraries and sheriff's offices-- to mental health resources in the area.

alanmcdonald
08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I went to High School with Angela Atwood - she kidnapped Patty Hearst.

CFrance
08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Wow. Did you know her? Did you have any inkling?

manaboutown
08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Back in about 2006 or so, I flew from Heathrow to LAX in business class. My seat mate was Shirley Manson who was returning from Scotland and a 40th birthday party for one of her childhood girlfriends. We started teasing one another, joking and drinking quite a bit. We had one heck of a good time all the way back. A male flight attendant asked me if I knew who she was and I said I did not. I asked her what she did. She said she was a singer and had a band named Garbage. I almost fell on the floor laughing. She was wearing red Converse All-Star sneakers and I told her I had not worn those since junior high. She said I should, that they were comfortable. I never asked her name but she was writing a song on her laptop. At the end of the flight as she was looking out the window she held up her passport with the customs form showing her name so I would know it. Shirley Manson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Manson) I think her father was one of the scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep.

Another time I enjoyed a flight from PHX to Long Beach with Joe Namath as a seat mate.

I have run into Ricardo Montalban at the Guadalajara airport. What an incredible gentleman! Tom Bosley, sadly at his stepson Tom's funeral. His neighbor, Barbara Eden, was helping out. In D.C. while at law school I met Robert McNamara (a total jerk) at National Airport (now Reagan) a few senators and congressmen around the Capitol Building and adjacent office buildings. I dated one of Mary Jo Kopechne's roommates while in law school and met her shortly before she died at Chappaquiddick.

Oh when I was in college, I caught Johnny Cash as he was starting to tip over off a makeshift stage on a tennis court where he was performing with the Statler Brothers. He said "Thanks".

Baileysmom
08-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Having worked for a radio/TV combo in Boston for 25 years I have seen a lot of famous people. I was never one to go up and introduce myself and pull out a camera for a photo op, felt that was a bit intrusive. I did work at WBZ-TV when Tom Bergeron was doing a local talk show and I have to say he was and still is one of the nicest people you could imagine. He met his wife at the station and they are still married. :) It really pleases me that he has done so well, he is truly deserving, incredibly funny and talented.

2 women I used to work with went on to LA to head up network communications and publicity departments and came through a few years ago making sure they stopped into the traffic department with their guests. I met and had pictures taken with Shemar Moore (Criminal Minds), Michael Weatherly (NCIS) and Carmine Giovinazzo (CSI:NY). I have also met and talked to Rosie O'Donnell, Caroline Kennedy and Chuck Norris. Shortly after Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez broke up he briefly dated one of the saleswomen there and I met him when he came in and picked her up. He was polite, tall and handsome for sure. :)

Probably the most impessive person I ever saw in the hall was Lucille Ball. My brushes with greatness. :)

Monkei
08-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Rosey Grier. It was in the Los Angeles airport A friend and I st beside him. He was easily recognized. We ere not interested in his needlepoint or his playing with the Ny Giants or Los Angeles Rams, we talked Penn State football. He told us that he had been playing pro so long that people forgot playing for State. He was happy to talk to us, my friend and went there and he asked if some of the things were still there. Great times.

buggyone
08-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Remembering 50 years ago, the most famous and notable person I met was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was at the 1963 Freedom March in Washington DC. I was just 18 years old and went to the Monument Grounds to see history take place. I was standing over by Peter, Paul, and Mary when a girl in back of me exclaimed, "Dr. King!" I turned around and Martin Luther King was right there. I introduced myself and he shook my hand, looked me right in the eyes, and told me to keep working for freedom for everyone.

Monkei
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Remembering 50 years ago, the most famous and notable person I met was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was at the 1963 Freedom March in Washington DC. I was just 18 years old and went to the Monument Grounds to see history take place. I was standing over by Peter, Paul, and Mary when a girl in back of me exclaimed, "Dr. King!" I turned around and Martin Luther King was right there. I introduced myself and he shook my hand, looked me right in the eyes, and told me to keep working for freedom for everyone.

you probably met the most special person in our lifetime.

murray607
08-27-2013, 09:27 PM
I spent a morning with Ted Williams (last batter to hit over .400 in a season) in 1986. He owned a fishing lodge on the Miramichi River in New Brunswick, Canada and we fished at his beloved Swing Bridge Pool. This was at a Salmon Anglers Conclave.
Later, he joined us and some of our friends at the dinner that evening.
What do I remember about him?........... he was somewhat opinionated and "crusty", but not as stand-offish as we had expected.

Schaumburger
08-28-2013, 03:25 AM

Wow, you got to see one of the most important historical events of the past century and also meet one of the most important and influential Americans who has ever lived! You were indeed at the right place at the right time! :coolsmiley:

looneycat
08-28-2013, 10:26 AM
I met God and we talked, we laughed, we reminisced...then he told me to get the heck out of there until he was ready for me....

:duck:

LndLocked
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
5th grade in the mid 60's. Knock on the door and the teacher say's "come in"

Door opens and Ted Cassidy (Lurch) in full makeup enters the room with a "you rang?"

The only sound in the room for 30 seconds was jaws hitting the desk.

Schaumburger
08-28-2013, 09:29 PM

Door opens and Ted Cassidy (Lurch) in full makeup enters the room with a "you rang?"

How awesome is that. How did your teacher get Lurch to show up at your school?

LndLocked
08-29-2013, 07:43 AM
How awesome is that. How did your teacher get Lurch to show up at your school?

They had played basketball together for Stetson U. (DeLand, Fl) and he was in the area for an alumni BB game.

I would have to check on the dates The Adams Family ran ... but I think it might have been still in production at the time.

graciegirl
08-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Not thrilling for many, but for me it was.

I personally met both Dr.Jonas Salk and Francis Crick. (The Double Helix?)

davecz1
08-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I have been priviliged to work with many people in their back up bands. Including, Bob Hope, Danny Thomas, Whitney Houston, Art Linkletter, Charlie Rich, Whispering Bill Anderson. Fernando Varela who is in the final 12 on Americas got Talent with Forte. So many back up musicians who are "famous" in the music community.

buggyone
08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Also, Ted Cassidy was in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" as Harvey. His famous line, after Butch asked about the rules, said, "Rules? In a knife fight?" Good actor!

perrjojo
08-30-2013, 09:03 PM
John Denver...went to school with him and he lived in our neighborhood when I growing up. Kept in contact many years. He was Johnny Duetschendorf back then.

Reba McEntire...her father in law worked for my husband.

Gunilla HuttonMiller (Nurse Goodbody) on Hee Haw
Went to high school with her

Jay Novacek..Dallas Cowboys tight end....friend of our son.

alanmcdonald
09-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Wow. Did you know her? Did you have any inkling?

Angela Atwood (Angela DeAngelis in high school) was miss everything, head cheerleader, star of all school musical, star of senior play, National Honor Society. Her dad was always believed to be the head of the mafia for our town (this was Northern New Jersey), her mother was my juniors bowling coach until she died on the alley after missing a ten pin!

I did hang out in the same crowd with her in high school. She was one year ahead of me.

She got mixed up with a bad crowd at Indiana University and her father cut her off when she started dating her later husband and partner in the Symbianese Liberation Army.

She did kidnap Patty Hearst and died in the shootout with the police.

I lost all of my high school yearbooks except for my own class in a flood, so I no longer have the one where she signed with her trademark Angel with a halo over it.

Villageswimmer
09-01-2013, 03:05 PM

Quite a character.

Hmm..familiar. was he a singer in a doo-wop group? From Pittsburgh, maybe?

DougB
09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Hmm..familiar. was he a singer in a doo-wop group? From Pittsburgh, maybe?

Dominic Ierace, AKA Donnie Iris was the lead singer for the Jaggerz. Hit song in 1970, The Rapper

Villageswimmer
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Dominic Ierace, AKA Donnie Iris was the lead singer for the Jaggerz. Hit song in 1970, The Rapper

I loved that song!

CFrance
09-01-2013, 03:48 PM

We knew a vocalist/drummer/bassist for the Jaggerz, Bill Maybray. They were from north of Pittsburgh, he and his wife--New Brighton. his wife worked for my husband in Grand Rapids in the late '90s. He passed away in 2004 at age 60.

We babysat their black lab, Bo Peep, for a week. Our kids let her get out of the house (they were "famous" themselves--for that), but she was a slow mover.

kittygilchrist
09-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Ok, I never met anybody famous, but I did watch Steve Spurrier QB for the Gators his senior year, 66, at UF. I must've been in 9th grade, and was way more impressed with Paul McCartney on Ed Sullivan.
Kitty
edit, edit, edit! I met Jesus in 1974.

dillywho
09-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I met Lee Marvin one night at the radio station in Lubbock. He and Jerry Coleman, the DJ, had just had a "foot race". Don't remember who won, though.:undecided::undecided: He was a really nice man and HUGE! He had to duck to come in the door!

I went to school with Mac Davis (his sister and I ran around together); school with Ralna English (Lawrence Welk & Branson) (we took voice from the same teacher, too); Barry Corbin (he most always comes to our class reunions if he's not filming); Buddy Holly and The Crickets (dated the drummer Jerry Allison, who lived across the street from us; still have all his letters he wrote to me); E.J. Holub (KC Chiefs) study hall together; Gene Watson (country singer and a close friend of one of my friends); Sonny Curtis (songwriter & current member of The Crickets); many others who were in and out of the Allison's when we were all there doing "jam sessions".

I saved the best for last: my brother, Ernie Hall. He was the drummer for David Box and The Ravens. Like Buddy Holly, David was killed in a plane crash just as his career was taking hold. I lost my brother three years ago and still miss him so much to this very day. (Jerry, J.I. as he's called now by most, spent countless hours at the hospital with him.) Their bass player was Lynn Bailey (Father B), who is now a Lutheran minister (go figure), and their sax player was Robert Keys who, last I heard, is still in the music business.

So many great memories, great stories, and friends.

Villageswimmer
09-01-2013, 07:47 PM
It had to be about 1963 when we met the members of the opening act for the rock group called the Fenways.

Some friends and I were backstage at the KDKA TV studio in Pittsburgh where a DJ, Clark Race, did a kind of local version of American Bandstand.

We had never heard of the opening act but they were from England. Their names?--Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman. Yep, the Rolling Stones!

DougB
09-01-2013, 07:52 PM
It had to be about 1963 when we met the members of the opening act for the rock group called the Fenways.

Some friends and I were backstage at the KDKA TV studio in Pittsburgh where a DJ, Clark Race, did a kind of local version of American Bandstand.

We had never heard of the opening act but they were from England. Their names?--Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman. Yep, the Rolling Stones!

Was a little later than '63. Stones first came to America in June of '64.

Villageswimmer
09-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Ok. I stand corrected on the year. I just remember being in high school.

DougB
09-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Ok. I stand corrected on the year. I just remember being in high school.

Great memory. the Fenways backed up The Vogues on their hit, "You're the One". Had a couple local hits also

CFrance
09-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Great memory. I had forgotten about Clark Race. graduated high school in Pgh. 1965.

stroglass
09-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I took care of Gloria Gainer after her knee surgery .I'm a nurse I also took care of yogi's Berra,s wife he was very kind. A signed autographs for all the patients and staff
and once met woody Allen on the hospital elevator
I meet Reba as a result of winning a radio contest I had to sing one of her songs
also met brook&Dun at the same time as they were touring with Reba at the time

drooney60@hotmail.com
10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Robert Redford- Year 2000- He lives in Sundance, Utah and I saw him in a grocery store in Provo, Utah. We both grabbed a can of baked beans at the same time. He apologized and went about his business. When I was leaving the store I met him in the parking lot and asked for an autograph. He was nice enough to have a picture of us together.

SALYBOW
10-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Ted Klusewski's wife Eleanor was a patient of mine in Cincinnati. He accompanied her to every treatment. Yes, his arms were larger than life. I see why he had to cut out his sleeves.
I also met Pete Rose when I was with my Uncle (only 2 years older than I) on Thanksgiving evening in a Sandy's restaurant. He wanted to know why Uncle Mike had two good looking girls with him and he had none. What a jerk.
I met JFK when he visited Cincinnati. Along with girls from my high school I did crowd control. He stopped and said hi and shook our hands. Talk about 15 mins.....

Kahuna32162
10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I think I'm coming to this thread a little late, but thought I should add my list. I worked in radio for the better part of 30 years and had the opportunity to meet and introduce many national acts. Kenny Rogers, Gloria Estefan, Huey Lewis, Michael Bolton, Bruce Hornsby, George Michael, Hall & Oates, The Moody Blues, Natile Cole, Tommy James, Petula Clark, Johnny Rivers, David Clayton Thomas, Chubby Checker, Gary Lewis (of the Playboys), The Contours, The Coasters and the biggest name, Sir Paul McCartney! Best part is I have the pictures to prove it, all nice memories. Also right after college, I was working private security and got to sit and hang out in Sammy Davis Jr's suite while he was performing at Pine Knob (just North of Detroit) He toured with all his jewelry and all his movies on VHS...he was also a gourmet chef and traveled with a fully equipped kitchen. He was very nice, tipped very well and was VERY short, under 5 ft tall I think.

BSurb
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Man Id be here alllll day naming lol. My dad was a basketball coach so we traveled and met lots of people.

Bob Knight.
Jerry West.
Pat Summit.

lotssss others.

John95019
10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Soupy Sales

tucson
10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Bruce Willis, Tom Bergeron, Cary Grant, Perry Como, Billy Graham, Kitty Dukakis,Sally Quinn, Paul Mitchell, and alot of others at Studio 54 in NYC

DougB
10-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Steve Ferguson, Terry Adams, Frank Gadler, Tom Staley, and Jody St. Nicholas

CFrance
10-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Steve Ferguson, Terry Adams, Frank Gadler, Tom Staley, and Jody St. Nicholas

Geeze, I must be old. Who ARE these people?

DougB
10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Geeze, I must be old. Who ARE these people?

:confused:

Tweety Bird
10-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Opera singers Jerome Hines and Robert Merrill. Lucia Albanese, Maria Callas. Shared the stage with Phyllis Diller in Santa Barbara. Also, Carol Burnett. Nice memories etched in the brain.

SoccerCoach
10-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Wow, lots of famous people here. I'll add Dinner with T.D. Jakes, Daryl Strawberry. Jim Calhoun, Gino Auriema UCONN fundraiser. Frank Capra Jr., & John Travolta, film business meetings.

Yung Dum
10-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Many years ago, I met Joyce Van Patten at a wedding. Her son was marrying my cousin. I had never heard of her, but my mother and aunt were star-struck. I politely talked with her for awhile, resisting the temptation to say that I never her of her. I know people like that are very sensitive to such things. She was nothing to write home about, kind of above it all.
Another time on a airplane, I found myself sitting next to pro wrestler Iron Mike Sharpe, whom I had heard of. Back then then I was somewhat into pro wrestling and we had a great time for 5 hours on a flight from L.A. to N.Y. talking about wrestlers past and present. He even bought me a drink (he didn't drink himself). He was a real nice guy despite being a "bad guy" wrestler. One of my most enjoyable flights ever. Good thing the plane was a 757. He took up a lot of room.

Yung Dum
10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Not thrilling for many, but for me it was.

I personally met both Dr.Jonas Salk and Francis Crick. (The Double Helix?)

Maybe not thrilling, but Jonas Salk was one of my all-time heroes. Didn't care for all those shots I got because of him, though. I was one of the original control group. I didn't get the real thing until I'd had about a dozen of the fakes.