PDA

View Full Version : Series to Watch from the Beginning

Polar Bear
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
I'd like to find a series to start watching from the beginning in my down time. I like ScyFy, mysteries, some good drama and comedy. Some I of my favorite series have been The Mentalist, Monk, The X-Files, Star Trek. I've thought about Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure I can get into the bad-guy-as-hero thing.

Any ideas?

pookieroo
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I have watched tv series for years on netflix dvds and have started watching their streaming service which is quite good. Showtime, HBO, and other networks have put out series over the years which are quite good but which you probably haven't been exposed to.

I have watched a PBS program called Foyles's War, set in WWII Britain, about a police constable and civilian crimes. Very good. Others seem to escape me at the moment.

The good thing about having an ala carte' service is you can watch the pilot and decide if you want to watch more. Good luck.

l2ridehd
10-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Try House of Cards available through netflixs. Won lots of awards and is very well done. Follows a corrupt US Congressman and his exploits and manipulations to get things done. Kevin Spacy plays the lead role.

Polar Bear
10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Try House of Cards ...

Agree. Unfortunately, I've already watched that one...awaiting Season 2. :^)

REDCART
10-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd like to find a series to start watching from the beginning in my down time. I like ScyFy, mysteries, some good drama and comedy. Some I of my favorite series have been The Mentalist, Monk, The X-Files, Star Trek. I've thought about Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure I can get into the bad-guy-as-hero thing.

Any ideas?

I also resisted Breaking Bad because a Meth dealer didn't particularly interest me. However the writing and acting is so good that if you start the series you'll be quickly hooked. Similarly I was not interested in Dexter for the longest time but it happens to be another very well done series. Dexter does not appear to be available from Netflix but might be from Amazon.

jblum315
10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
I just loved "Call the Midwife", 15 episodes available from Netflix. Set in an impoverished part of London in the 1950s, it's about a group of midwife-nurses who work out of a convent.

samhass
10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Try House of Cards available through netflixs. Won lots of awards and is very well done. Follows a corrupt US Congressman and his exploits and manipulations to get things done. Kevin Spacy plays the lead role.

What a great show. I love Kevin Spacey as Francis.

ConnecticutYankee
10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
We have enjoyed White Collarand Burn Notice on Netflix watch instantly, and Blue Bloods available on Disc.

Bonnevie
10-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I, too resisted Breaking Bad for the same reason. However, over the summer there wasn't a lot on and I went thru the entire first seasons in no time at all.

The Walking Dead was also good.

lovsthosebigdogs
10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Season 2 of Revolution just started but you can watch season 1 online. I watched them all and caught up. It's set in the near future and sort of sci-fi but about Earth after the electricity goes away.

CFrance
10-11-2013, 05:34 PM
We have enjoyed White Collarand Burn Notice on Netflix watch instantly, and Blue Bloods available on Disc.

Burn notice is cool. Final episode was just on. We also really liked The Closer; so sorry it's over. Its sequel, Major Crimes, is not a bad substitute but has only been on for two short TNT seasons. And Leverage is very good if you like improbable anti heroes of the Robin Hood variety.

How about Boston Legal? That was a great show. And going back, I absolutely love Murphy Brown. We spent a lot of nights going through the seasons of Northern Exposure. They're still great.

Russ_Boston
10-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Don't really think Walter White of BB was portrayed as the hero. Without spoiling the ending for you there is one line that Walt used in the last episode "I did it because I loved it".

Give it a try.

Another show (not sci-fy) is Boardwalk Empire now in it's fourth season on HBO.

For historic drama try The Tudors from showtime.

lightworker888
10-12-2013, 06:35 AM
For character driven legal drama we watched the 4 seasons of The Good Wife, which I just loved. Then we watched the 2 seasons of Suits which was allso good. ll on Amazon. Also liked House of Cards so I guess we have to join Netflix! Are HBO series on Netflix or Amazon? Any other good legal series or movies? I cant handle violence or gore so good films and series are becoming rare. I'm an old Law and Order: Criminal intent fan but not the SVU series.

LW888

mrdarcy
10-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I enjoyed Inspector Lewis, Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch, and Downton Abbey. All are British TV shows. Excellent, intelligent writing and acting.

Bonnevie
10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
or I almost forgot "orphan black" on BBC America....scifyish

kittygilchrist
10-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I wanted a new show to love. looks like NCIS and NFL are as good as it gets.

2newyorkers
10-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Criminal Minds repeats can be watched on A&E.

TrudyM
10-12-2013, 02:05 PM
If you like scifi
Stargate,
Farscape (Claudia Black, and Ben Browder before stargate)
Serenity-- Nathan Fillion pre Castle.

BBC America and most of the stream content outfits like Netflix have the previous seasons of Doctor who. My favorite is the 10th and 11th Doctor

Drama
I loved this one last month if you can find it online or BBC America reruns it don't miss.
Broadchurch which stars David Tennant (the 10th doctor who) is a BBC 8 episode who done it that recently aired on BBC America, it was really good, you never could guess who did it until the end (which I usually can with most crime shows).
Fox is doing a remake set for 2014 also with Tennant (Which may have a different name) sounds like they will do an ongoing series if it goes well, first bit will have the same writer as the BBC version. BBC is planning a new crime with the same detective but may recast if they can't get Tennant.

Does anyone remember the name of the BBC mystery series that the main character was a quirky antique dealer with an old friend called tinker. I watched one weak I was sick off work a few years back and don't remember the name.

lightworker888
10-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Just discovered Scandal on Netflix and really am enjoying the first 2 episodes. There are 29 of them in the season so that should keep us busy for a bit. A bit of a twist on the legal drama..

LW888

Yung Dum
10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
My favorites--The Sopranos, Deadwood, House Of Cards, Dexter, The Good Wife, Scandal, Mad Men, The Office (first 4-5 seasons), Ally McBeal (first 3 seasons), The Middle.

mainlander
10-12-2013, 09:11 PM
"The Dome"... a Stephen King series,,, big following.

Schaumburger
10-12-2013, 09:18 PM
A few more recommendations, some are repeats from previous posters: The Sopranos, The Closer, Rescue Me, Major Crimes, The Good Wife, Rizzoli and Isles, Mad Men.

I have also been thinking about trying out the first season of Breaking Bad.

Patty55
10-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I recently watched all the Frazier shows-OMG I forgot how funny they were.

Another one I loved was Curb Your Enthusiasm

alc323
10-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Breaking Bad....you will not regret it!! One of the BEST series I have ever watched.

Yung Dum
10-12-2013, 10:56 PM
A few more recommendations, some are repeats from previous posters: The Sopranos, The Closer, Rescue Me, Major Crimes, The Good Wife, Rizzoli and Isles, Mad Men.

I have also been thinking about trying out the first season of Breaking Bad.

Long wait on Netflix for Breaking Bad. I'm on that long list.

batman911
10-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Any ideas?

Stargate.

Russ_Boston
10-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Long wait on Netflix for Breaking Bad. I'm on that long list.

Have to switch to online. No waiting and every season is there except this past one.

Jaggy
10-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Rescue me is a great series.. especially the first 2 seasons...

RVRoadie
10-13-2013, 05:19 PM
We watched The West Wing earlier this year on Netflix. I think it was seven seasons. Very well done drama, even if you don't care for the politics. First season was before HD. Amazing to see that none of the arguments have changed that much in ten years.

CFrance
10-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I recently watched all the Frazier shows-OMG I forgot how funny they were.

Another one I loved was Curb Your Enthusiasm

If you liked Frazier, try Murphy Brown. Still as funny as it was.

ladyjudith
10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Wallander on Netflix.......excellent
Foyles War also excellent..watch both from the beginning

Blackie
10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Sci-Fi

Firefly, Primeval, Dollhouse, Caprica - all on Netfix (I think).

Pturner
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Downton Abbey and The Good Wife. Like others, I've resisted Breaking Bad but am considering getting it.

Patty55
10-13-2013, 07:14 PM
If you liked Frazier, try Murphy Brown. Still as funny as it was.

I loved Murphy Brown, esprcially Dan Quayle called her a slut-LOL

CFrance
10-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Another good series--Without a Trace. Action, drama, personal stories, not overly violent. Definitely not as violent as Criminal Minds ( which I also like but scares the heck outta me).

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
10-14-2013, 08:37 AM
The Red Sox / Detroit Tigers series looks like a good one. Of course it's already started so you really can't watch from the beginning.

Trish Crocker
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Definitely Mad Men and Burn Notice!

chachacha
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
pilot show for Signed, Sealed and Delivered on Hallmark station this weekend was very enjoyable. they repeat them periodically so try taping it each week. i hope they make it into a series! nice, clean, romantic fun! by the producers of Touched by an Angel.