PDA

View Full Version : Water purification or water softener

SCCHAMBY2000@YAHOO.COM
10-19-2013, 03:06 PM
We are just curious as to how many villagers use water softners or whole house water purification systems or both.
With all the sinkholes there has to be a lot of limestone which leads to hard water problems.

zcaveman
10-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a water softener and am very happy with it.

Z

ijusluvit
10-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Both were in my resale when I bought it. I don't think much of the water softener because I am used to hard water. But my reverse osmosis system at the kitchen sink is terrific. I've had some trouble getting reliable folks to replace filters, but I would not be without the system.

If you are wondering what I mean, put tap water in a clean clear glass. Hold it up to the light. See what you are drinking here?

Nova Filtration
10-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Please read this thread (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-systems-311/myths-about-hard-water-91472/) about hard water.

The softeners don't remove chlorine or sediments etc.

Then see our whole house filters here (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-systems-311/nova-water-filtrations-68945/)

Hope this helps make an informed decision

Nova Filtration
10-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Both were in my resale when I bought it. I don't think much of the water softener because I am used to hard water. But my reverse osmosis system at the kitchen sink is terrific. I've had some trouble getting reliable folks to replace filters, but I would not be without the system.

They (RO's) are good but it is only in the kitchen but you still are bathing in not so good water, if you have a pool or spa that's the same bad water!

To have all your household water filtered is the healthy option, it would also allow your RO membranes to last a lot longer because chlorine eats them up.
Also your expensive ice cube maker filter will last a very long time too.

If you are wondering what I mean, put tap water in a clean clear glass. Hold it up to the light. See what you are drinking here?

True

Been doing these over 30 years

Mikeod
10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
We had a softener installed shortly after we moved in due to the reports of hard water. Things went well for about four years, although lifting the bags of salt into the tank got to be a bother. Then we started to get a weird taste in our water, so we replaced the fridge filter, but it continued. And we noticed it in the tap water as well. The fridge died and we bought a new one, but the taste was still there. We replaced the fridge filter twice, but there was no improvement.

That's when we had the softener checked and discovered the resin in the softener was getting into the outlet and contaminating our entire water supply. The softener company wanted $500 to repair the unit plus another $400+ for a filter to remove chlorine which they said was responsible for the damage to the softener. I had them take out the unit entirely.

We got a water hardness test done and it showed the water was only mildly hard. Then we bought a filter system from Nova and installed it. Our water tastes wonderful. There is no problem washing clothes, dishes, or residents. Soaps and cleaners lather normally. Very happy with that change. And the filters should last a year before replacing.

Paulz
10-27-2013, 06:32 AM
We moved into our new home in September and immediately installed a Nova filtration system. Very satisfied with the system. Our water (Collier) is had a 7.4PH and is mildly hard at best. We use a Kangen system for drinking that increases the PH to 9.5.

Some areas may require a water softener but they are not the magic bullet that the sales people make them out to be. Get a good filtration first and then decide in a softener is required.

Nova Filtration
10-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Thank you both for your support.

kittygilchrist
10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Ok, Jimbo, I've thought it over and I'm ready to get my filtration system. Couple of questions..What if I also want a loop thingy to keep water hot? who does that?
does Nova's system come installed or is that added on and done by ____?

CFrance
10-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I would like to know if it's possible to have the Nova filtration and still retain your water softener. We've softened our water for the last 25 years, and we simply don't want to lose that. But I would like to have our water filtered.

Mikeod
10-28-2013, 08:28 PM
I would like to know if it's possible to have the Nova filtration and still retain your water softener. We've softened our water for the last 25 years, and we simply don't want to lose that. But I would like to have our water filtered.
I would expect it is very possible since our water softener company wanted to put a filter in along with the repaired softener to remove the chlorine.

But, truthfully, we have noticed no change in our clothes, or washing dishes, or washing ourselves in the four months since we removed the softener and went with filtration only.

CFrance
10-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Mikeod.

tomjbud
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Another vote for the Nova system - we had ours installed a couple weeks ago, and notice a huge improvement in the quality and taste of our tap water. Low cost and no maintenance except to change the filters once a year.

Nova Filtration
10-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Ok, Jimbo, I've thought it over and I'm ready to get my filtration system. Couple of questions..What if I also want a loop thingy to keep water hot? who does that?
does Nova's system come installed or is that added on and done by ____?

We don't do the hot water loops, but if you search there was a thread about that and some found that the cost of running several gallons thru the system was not worth the investment. Try timing how long it actually takes to get hot at different points in the house.:shrug:

-----

The system is installed ready to use for $495,
we are running about 10-14 days out to booking installs.

So just let me know when you're ready

Here's what it looks like

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attachments/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/7827d1356185145t-pool-chemicals-filter.jpg

Each canister (3) are large 6" X 24", it is heavy duty unit. Notice the two pressure gauges!

Nova Filtration
10-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Yes it is.

There are two ways to do it.

1. Before the system, that way the chlorine is removed which breaks down the softener materiel faster, the down side of that is the softener will add back some debris.

2. After the system, we prefer this way because the debris from the softener is then filtered out before is used in the home.

The Nova system will filter hard or soft water makes no difference.

Nova Filtration
10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Having said that, if you don't already have a water softener I suggest not getting one until first installing our whole house filter.

I can install the water softener from (Axeon) the same manufacturer also. but don't feel you need it.

-------

The World Health Organization says that "there does not appear to be any convincing evidence that water hardness causes

adverse health effects in humans". In fact, the National Research Council has found that hard water can actually serve as a dietary

supplement for calcium and magnesium

Myths
MYTH #1 - Water Softeners Are Safe For The Environment

Fact: Water Softeners Cause Considerable Damage to the Environment

According to Ann Heil, a Supervising Engineer of the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, automatic water softeners waste

water and put a salty brine into the waste stream. High salts in the waste stream can harm aquatic life and can damage crops
irrigated with downstream waters.

There are many simple solutions you can take to fix any mineral spotting - and none of them require a water softener. A teaspoon
of Sour Salt will handle mineral residue in the dishwasher. Rain-X or furniture wax will minimize water spots on shower doors.
Finally, a whole-house water filter, that retains healthy minerals, will work great for bathing, cooking, cleaning and drinking.

MYTH #2 - Hard Water Is Harsh, Fades Clothes and Dries Skin and Hair

Fact: Hard Water Does Not Fade Colors or Dry Skin and Hair Chlorine in tap water does the damage, just as chlorine bleach.

Water softeners do not remove chlorine or chlorine disinfection byproducts

MYTH #3 - Water Softeners Filter Water

Fact: Water Softeners Do Not Filter Water; please read carefully!

They Only Exchange Sodium for Minerals In other words, water softeners convert dirty, chlorinated tap water into dirty, chlorinated, salty water. There is still a need to use a secondary filter system to remove salt, sediment and chlorine to produce a palatable water for drinking and cooking - but only at the kitchen tap.
Dirty chlorinated, salty water still runs throughout the rest of the home.

MYTH #4 - Minerals In Water Are Contaminants

Fact: Hardness Minerals Are Not Contaminants, Minerals are Nutrients

Scientific findings supported by research at the World Health Organization (www.WHO.int) have shown that drinking water
rich with essential minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium, protects good health and leads to lower instances of heart disease and stroke.

MYTH #5 - Hard Water Clogs Pipes

Fact: Calcium and Magnesium Do Not Build Up and Clog Pipes

Between the mid 1940s and the late 1970s, most homes were built using steel (galvanized) pipes. Minerals, such as calcium
and magnesium, will stick to steel pipes. New and re-piped homes built after 1975 have pipes made of copper or cpvc (plastic).

Here the homes are built with CPVC.

Viking
01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
I appreciate your insight and information. In 2010 we moved into a pre-owned home built in 1998 that came with a Kinetico water softening system. The main tank has had a constant leak and we were thinking of replacing the system, but may think twice after reading your post, especially since they are pretty expensive. Is it your suggestion that a filtration system (i.e. Nova) would be a better route and just remove the Kinetico system?

Nova Filtration
01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Well in a word yes, see this info (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?p=817214&posted=1#post817214)

That filter leaves all the contaminants you see below

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attachments/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/31111d1390497547t-water-quality-tv-dsc09859.jpg

Wizard of Oz
01-23-2014, 01:44 PM
I was approached by water filter companies in TV, before I even closed on my house. They want to charge upwards of $6000 to in stall and they have to maintain it.
My neighbors vet told him why his dogs were getting stones was because the water contained contaminants/dirt. I installed a whole house filter that I purchased from Home depot for $36.00 and connected where the supply line comes in at the garage. I was amazed at the how brown the filter turned in a short period of time, I change the filter every three months. I later installed a water softener combo chlorine removal from the Sears on 441, it was on sale for about $500 compared to Lowe's at $850. Water is very soft and no more chlorine smell from the facets. Sears will in stall for you. Total investment supplies and all $625.00. Just a thought.

jimbo2012
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I was approached by water filter companies in TV, before I even closed on my house. They want to charge upwards of $6000 to in stall and they have to maintain it.
My neighbors vet told him why his dogs were getting stones was because the water contained contaminants/dirt. I installed a whole house filter that I purchased from Home depot for $36.00 and connected where the supply line comes in at the garage. I was amazed at the how brown the filter turned in a short period of time, I change the filter every three months. I later installed a water softener combo chlorine removal from the Sears on 441, it was on sale for about $500 compared to Lowe's at $850. Water is very soft and no more chlorine smell from the facets. Sears will in stall for you. Total investment supplies and all $625.00. Just a thought.

A $36 filter from HD is a toy, it is not in the same class as these triple filters.

You would really be amazed if you saw what a commercial filter such as the Nova filter with 3 4"x20" filter can remove from the water.

It's not the water softener doing all that you think, it's the carbon.

Djembe dude
01-24-2014, 04:19 PM
We have a GE pro elite whole house purification/softener system as well as an RO system under the kitchen sink. Could not be happier with both.