PDA

View Full Version : Intentional Grounding Rule.

DonH57
10-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm hoping someone could answer this question. To my understanding if a quarterback steps out of the pocket he may throw out the ball to an empty space as long as there is one eligible reciever past the line of scrimmage to avoid being sacked and loss of yards. If that's the case how is the quarterback allowed to spike or intentionally ground the ball because technically he is in the pocket when he does this. I'm I not reading the ruling correctly or is it the NFL's description of the pocket I don't understand.

Russ_Boston
10-21-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm hoping someone could answer this question. To my understanding if a quarterback steps out of the pocket he may throw out the ball to an empty space as long as there is one eligible reciever past the line of scrimmage to avoid being sacked and loss of yards. If that's the case how is the quarterback allowed to spike or intentionally ground the ball because technically he is in the pocket when he does this. I'm I not reading the ruling correctly or is it the NFL's description of the pocket I don't understand.

Almost correct - Out of the pocket he may toss away to anywhere as long as the ball CROSSES the line of scrimmage. Inside the pocket it must be directed TOWARDS an eligible receiver.

The NFL has mad an exception for intentional CLOCKING of the ball by the quarterback as long as the QB does not drop back. I'm sure someone will find the exact wording.

DonH57
10-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks Russ. I've found the rulebook on line and have been trying to find the wording.