PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Room Flourescent Light

TCLaD
11-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I had flickering bulbs in the laundry room light fixture. They are 4 ft, 40watt bulbs. I bought 2 new bulbs however the flickering continued and bulbs will not come on. I then bought a new ballast and installed it. Still have same issue of bulbs not coming on, only faint flickering. These fixtures do not have starters. Ballast is exact type as originally installed in 2008 when house was built. Any ideas from any electrical experts on what to try next?

mulligan
11-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Double check to see if the ballast is wired correctly, and if it is, swap the tubes end for end, 1 at a time.

leftyf
11-03-2013, 07:07 AM
If your light is old enough to have a ballast, I would replace the whole light with a new LED model or at least a new type fluorescent type.

KayakerNC
11-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Not an expert, but...I would replace the light switch.
Not very expensive, and the switch contacts can cause this kind of problem.

Xavier
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
If you have back-lighted switches, change them to switches that don't have the back-lighting feature. It worked for me after I went through the same steps that you have. I had even replace the light fixture. All better now.

Xavier

golf2140
11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Check the watts on your old bulb. I thought I had 40 W, put new ones in the flickered. Looked at the old one the were 30 something watts. Picked up new, works fine.

TCLaD
11-03-2013, 04:20 PM
After doing all above mentioned steps, even the new switch, I decided to take the new ballast back to ACE where the new sales guy told me the lady had sold me the wrong ballast. It looked exactly like the original but on the itty bitty lettering which I don't think the original sales lady could not read, said it wad for smaller bulbs. New ballast and bingo, we have light. Thanks to all.

11-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Problem fixed. Thread closed.