PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Help

handieman
11-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I need the advice of a person familiar with wiring 3 ways switches. I have a simple circuit that is driving me crazy. PM me here or email me at J-Wharton@comcast.net. I will pay a nominal fee for this help

dplars
11-04-2013, 07:26 PM
the top two post on each switch connect to each other, they are called travelers, they may go to a junction box, but they eventually connect one switches two connections to the other. A phase/hot/black wire connects to the third pole on switch #1 then on switch #2 will feed they light/appliance. At the appliance the neutral/white wire will connect to the white/silver connecter/screw, they may be a continuation of neutral feed from switch #1. If all else fails go to the hardware store and look at the wiring diagram on a switch box....or U-Tube/google 3 way switch wiring. Hope this helps.

dplars
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Google or u tube "three way switch wiring.....or check the wiring diagram on a 3 way switch box. Hope this helps.

upinmaine
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Just one more suggestion, for what it is worth. I had a problem some time ago wiring a three way switch. I am not an electrician but had done some wiring and thought I had a pretty good understanding of basic wiring. I was ready to pull out all of the hair on my head, which was more than I have now. I finally brought the switch back to the store to have them help me and they discovered that the SWITCH WAS DEFECTIVE. I left the store with what was left of my sanity and the project was quickly finished. I know that the possibility of this being the answer to your problem is remote, but I thought I would just mention it. Good luck.

leftyf
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Did you get it fixed?

l2ridehd
11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
He did. I met him at the home yesterday morning and fixed it for him.