PDA

View Full Version : Low sodium support group

salferg
11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
My husband has just been placed on a low sodium diet and I need help. We eat out just about every meal! I quit cooking when we moved here. My hubby says I use the oven to store gift wrap!! I wonder if there is a support group that would help me figure this all out. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

graciegirl
11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I find cooking very easy, so I am thinking of dozens of easy recipes. For the most part I only cook easy things. I know that there are lots of low sodium recipe's available on the internet.

Couple easy ones to do at home...Fried or baked chicken breast and sautéed asparagus with unsalted butter and pepper. Mixed cut up fruit.

Hamburger patty and carrots with honey and salad of mixed greens, olive oil, garlic and fresh lemon juice.

I would guess that there are cookbooks available too

Don't despair. I don't think it will be too hard. I am here if you need me.

I know Senior Citizen will chime in with some easy meal suggestions too.

Using a little more spice, onion and garlic and citrus helps with making ordinary things more tasty. It is HARD to eat out and buy low sodium because much of restaurant stuff is premade and preseasoned.

salferg
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Bump

Avista
11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't have any problems at home, but DO have a problem with restaurants and cruises!

tippyclubb
11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
If your not willing to start cooking again its going to be impossible to be on low sodium diet eating out everyday.

We are on a low sodium diet and its a life style change. We eats a lot of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, oatmeal, herbs and occasionally chicken and fish.

Any canned or processed food is high in sodium so you want to stay away from those. You can Google low sodium diet and there are thousands of recipes for you to choose from.

bkcunningham1
11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I asked my friend and she told me The American Diabetic Association and The American Heart Association are two very good sources of information for you:

http://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/stroke-adalowsodium072011.pdf

Low Salt Diet and the DASH Diet (http://dashdiet.org/low_salt_diet.asp)

swimdawg
11-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh for heavens sake! In a few years, they will come out with studies that say that sodium is good for you! :girlneener:

bkcunningham1
11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Also, here's a list of clubs that may help:

ACHIEVE BETTER HEALTH

7:00 PM The Second Wednesday Every Month at Laurel Manor

HEALTHY CHOICE

10:30 AM The Fourth Wednesday Every Month at Chula Vista

HEALTHY SKIN CARE

7:00 PM The Second Tuesday Every Month at Truman

HEALTHY, WEALTHY AND WISE

6:00 PM The Fourth Thursday Every Month at Sea Breeze

HOLISTIC HEALTH CLUB

1:00 PM The First Wednesday Every Month at Bridgeport

NUTRITION & HEALTH INFORMATION

7:00 PM The Fourth Monday Every Month at Churchill

r2j2j
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
The Kidney Dialysis Support Group meets the second Friday of every month 3:45-4:45 in the Jefferson Room at the Laurel Manor Recreation Center.

kbace6
11-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I was a few years ago on the border of being pre-diabetic. One of the things I have done is to start making things from scratch at home, like condiments such as ketchup. What you get in the store and what you get at a restaurant is loaded with both sugar and salt.

One thing you could try is for both of you to cook. Split the duties, take some cooking classes together at the LLLC. I know one thing that got me started making my own food from scratch, was the purchase of a smoker. I can make my own low sodium bacon, pastrami or ham and it is far better tasting than anything I have ever bought in a store.

I have never really cooked much for myself as my wife has done that forever, but I will tell you, making some of these things from scratch is the most gratifying thing I have done to help my overall health.

Best of luck to you, but I think the solution is to curb dining out a bit and for your husband to take more control of his sodium intake by making his own food. Try to make it fun, if you can.

Defined
11-13-2013, 05:11 PM
eating out... well if you order off the menu forget it check out the site "DWLZ" and go to then click on restaurants from here you can pull up many chains and be shocked by what you eat. If you eat out - ask for fresh not processed meat, and tell them to not use sodium products in the prep process, avoid gravy, sauces, soups - stick to the basics and jaz up with spices. it can be done!!

salferg
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your responses. We are learning and changing our lifestyle. My husband has lost 30 lbs and that's really motivating us. We are still managing to eat out some by checking nutritional values on the internet. I'm totally stunned to see the sodium content of the canned goods. It takes me four times as long to go shopping now! Thanks for your help.