PDA

View Full Version : Should Michael Vick Lose His Job over Dog Fighting?

F16 1UB
08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Should NFL player Michael Vick lose his job for involving himself with dog fighting?

Taltarzac
08-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Should NFL player Michael Vick lose his job for involving himself with dog fighting?

Definitely his endorsement deals as well as his NFL contract should go the same way as some of those poor dogs. I despise the idea of blacklisting someone though even for acts as bad as the ones Vick now admits to today. Vick should have an opportunity to redeem himself as he was hardly alone in promoting the "sport" of dog-fighting. A lot of people seem to look the other way with respect to this barbaric "sport".

This "sport" seems to be wide-spread from the # of complaints about it on the Pet-Abuse web-site. http://www.pet-abuse.com/

Checked link August 31, 2008.

JohnZ
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Dog fighting is a felony in the State of Georgia. Would you get to keep your job if you were convicted of a felony? Sports figures are much admired by aspiring young people. When I was a kid, I wanted to swing a bat like Mickey Mantle, pitch like Sandy Koufax and throw a football like Joe Namath. Michael Vick should lose his job to teach him a lesson but also to teach all those kids who look up to such role models.

schotzyb
08-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Though he will not admit to actually gambling, he bankrolled the events which is exactly the same thing. This alone should be enough to ensure he never plays another down as a professional football player. His cage should be no bigger than the ones these dogs were kept in.

Russ_Boston
08-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Gambling is the real key. The NFL has been very strict and very consistent when it comes to gambling charges. Although the act he committed is heinous I feel that he should do his time and then be given a chance to redeem himself. We are supposed to be a country that allows people to rehabilitate while doing their time so let's see what Vick can do with it.

kar guy
08-28-2007, 08:40 AM
I BELIEVE ONCE HE IS SENTENCED AND DOES HIS FULL TIME THEN HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER HE WANTS. I DO NOT LIKE WHAT HE DID AND I WOULD NEVER DO WHAT HE DID, BUT WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO DO WHAT WE LIKE(WITHIN THE LAW). AFTER HE IS OUT AND IF HE DOES COME BACK TO THE NFL I WOULD NEVER WATCH, LISTEN TO OR DISCUSS A GAME IN WHICH HE PLAYED. THAT IS MY RIGHT...............................TAKE CARE KAR GUY

schotzyb
08-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Gambling is the real key. The NFL has been very strict and very consistent when it comes to gambling charges. Although the act he committed is heinous I feel that he should do his time and then be given a chance to redeem himself. We are supposed to be a country that allows people to rehabilitate while doing their time so let's see what Vick can do with it.

I am not really up on what the NFL's policy is on gambling but have heard that he could be banned for life, correct? If the policy clearly states that gambling is a banning offense for life , then that is what the verdict should be.If you change the policy for one then the policy is forever gone.

LG
08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Absolutely!! >:(

ditto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ_Boston
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Part of his plea was to avoid admitting any gambling on the dogs.

Otherwise he would have been gone for life as far as the NFL goes.

jjdees
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree that Vick should pay for his crime but on the other hand find it interesting that the uproar over what Vick did is enormous while Ray lewis, an NFL player from the Ravens got away with a misdemeanor slap on the wrist for participating in murder in Atlanta a few years back. At first, he refused to cooperate with the authorities although his clothes worn that day had disappeared, there was blood of the victim in his limo, and there where witnesses to the assault. The authorities finally got around to charging him with a misdemeanor infraction and as far as I know is still playing in the NFL. Doesn't make sense.

Barefoot
08-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Michael Vick shouldn't just lose his job, he should have his :edit: cut off.
Whoops, sorry, but I think he is despicable.

nanci2539
08-28-2007, 11:32 AM
After they throw him in jail for a very long time, they should garnish every cent he ever made and give it to animal shelters throughout the states. And then when he gets released from jail in 20 years, he should be mandated to spend ten hours a day, every day for the next twenty years taking care of homeless animals!

Is that too harsh??? I think not; there is low life and then there is Vick!

Barefoot
08-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Nanci: :agree: :agree:

jjdees: What are your thoughts about O.J.?

jjdees
08-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Guilty!!

Taltarzac
08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Guilty!!

If you mean O.J., he seemed guilty. I did not believe that the prosecutors quite proved the case against him though beyond a reasonable doubt. It looked highly probable that O.J. killed his ex-wife and her friend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.J._Simpson but I was just not convinced to the point needed to find him guilty. If you are putting us in the seats of the jury, that is.

Checked link August 31, 2008.

mrskkb
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Yes. The dogs have no voice over what happens to them.

I'll never understand what drives humans to be so cruel to animals.

The guy is a deadbeat.

Unfortuntely we have a short memory here and he will most likely play again.

Greed and money is what drives big business and football has become big businees.

This too shall pass.

Reccer
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
That man makes my blood boil! He's a sick man! Drowning and hanging dogs because they lost a test fight...it's so aweful. I hate him. Hate is a strong word but he's such a :edit: :edit: :edit:...you get the point...I garee with whoever said they should take his money and give it to animal relief places...

It also just makes the Pitbull breed look even worse! I own one...I've had her since she was 5 weeks old and she's my child so to speak. I would trust her around anyone no matter how young or old. It's all in how you raise them! I want people to understand that as well....

SteveZ
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Bottom line - he's going to jail, and unless he plans to do the stage version of "Longest Yard", he's out of pro football.

Pro athletics are not a society unto itself, even though it can seem that way sometimes. It's entertainment, and the entertainment dollar keeps it going. I don't plan to spend any of my entertainment $$$ on Michael Vick, Mike Tyson and several others like them. I didn't spend any $$$ on anything involving a certain draft dodger, be cause in my book he wasn't "the greatest" at all. That's my choice because it's my money.

For those who want to spend their money to see Michael Vick do anything at all, again, its their money. Just don't ask for any of mine.

Villages Kahuna
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
...and if Vick didn't know that, he should have.

Chances are that Vick grew up in an environment where dog-fighting was common and accepted. The "sport" is objectionable to most people, but probably few in the circle of friends and relatives of Vick. But it is against the law (in Georgia, at least) and Vick must face judgement for violating those laws. End of that part of the story.

The gambling part of the incident seems to be more offensive to his employer, the Falcons and the NFL, than his status as a convicted felon. Again, he must face whatever penalties the NFL chooses to mete out after his period of incarceration is completed.

The combination of the two "penalties" seems tough, but Vick should have considered what he was getting into before he started.

codman
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Dog fighting is gambling, its done for a purpose, its not soccer!

beady
09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, he should lose his job.
He lied and tried to cover his "tracks" because he knew it was wrong and illegal.
If you can brutalize animals in the manner he did, my question is, what else is he capable of doing?
I think Nanci2539 has come up with the perfect series of punishments.

villagerjudy
09-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Either way his life is over as he imagined it. Now he is only sorry, no good, stupid, drug using, piece of trash that he always was now he just can't make any money anymore. I don't think he needs to be banned for life (though I would love him to be banned from society) since any team that would take him at this point would open themselves up for such an uproar that a second rate quarterback like Vick just isn't worth it.

Did I mention that I lived in Georgia prior to TV ???? All his charming escapades were well covered by the press.

Patty
09-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Just a thought ...

Do you think the judge or jury will sentence him to serve time in "dog years?" ;D